00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

2,881,889 Views | 60,179 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-12-27 12:43:48

FPS
No way glaciel. 30 FPS is what games like Super Mario 64 ran at ( an awesome game)

I am a FAB

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-12-27 12:46:56

At 12/27/09 12:43 PM, windowskiller wrote: FPS
No way glaciel. 30 FPS is what games like Super Mario 64 ran at ( an awesome game)

Then, developers started getting into higher and crazier frame rates. Then, they added motion blur which allowed them to slow their rates back down and still have fluid motion.

Writer @ www.Johnrickett.com

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-12-27 12:48:01

At 12/27/09 12:41 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: a lot of games nowadays do 30 fps + motion blur over 60 fps, and people cant tell the difference

You mean like rendering the 30 fps image twice at 60fps with a filter on top?

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-12-27 13:12:43

Are you kiddin me son?

Although tbf that tracks pretty badass. Something psychedelic maybe?

Thanks, but now I'm gonna have to go through all these pages to find out who the hell it was. urghh.

:\

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-12-27 13:14:57

At 12/27/09 12:43 PM, windowskiller wrote: FPS

I'm afraid that's uncertain; nowadays gaming animations are all designed to run at 60FPS when they are created, then, depending on the computer, the frame rate can drop, however, the makers are well aware that not everyone is able to afford 60FPS, so, besides from toggle quality options, they smooth down the animations so that it's possible to play at 30fps without being annoyed by the constant lag. It's not really like they finish it and then smooth it, they constantly have this in mind.

Old games or games that game a cartoony vibe like Super Mario 64 may have ran at 30fps, mainly because the character animations are supposed to seem attractive to the eye, not realistic, you can compare an explosion in Mario and a Call of Duty one and tell me the difference.

Also Glaciel

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-12-27 13:21:56

At 12/27/09 12:48 PM, GustTheASGuy wrote:
At 12/27/09 12:41 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: a lot of games nowadays do 30 fps + motion blur over 60 fps, and people cant tell the difference
You mean like rendering the 30 fps image twice at 60fps with a filter on top?

Similar, they can blend it with the previous frame and some other shader magic so they are only rendering the game at 30 FPS and one extra shader call. Lets them render at a higher graphic quality when they only need to render half the frames (plus the extra blend), and they've tested 60 fps no blur and 30 fps w/blur and ask people which is running at a higher framerate, and most say the 30 fps w/blur.

The exception to the rule is games like guitar hero where a higher framerate is more important to actually being able to play the game, but in FPS and racing games and stuff 30 w/blur looks fine, and they can still sample input at 60hz or higher even if it's not rendering that fast

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-12-27 13:48:38

Pigeon Impossible

A friend of my mother helped make this, I was surprised by how well it turned out

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-12-27 13:51:21

I remember reading something a few weeks ago about how the people who make Ratchet & Clank (Insomniac?), or some similar game, have just decided to make their games prettier and stick with 30fps rather than having to make trade-offs to get silky-smooth 60fps. Games like Call of Duty run at 60fps but they do this on consoles by rendering at a less-than 'HD' resolution - something just below 720p, and then upscaling.

You get a few games who manage to look fantastic, run at 60fps and still render at 1080p or close to it - Wipeout for the PS3 for example, and I think Metal Gear Solid 4 but I can't remember. This is mainly exclusives (I'm sure there are similar examples for the 360) because if you can focus on specific hardware it's a lot easier than having to make something portable. That's pretty obvious though.

Sup, bitches :)

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-12-27 15:18:22

ads
How much money do you get from NG/mochi ads nowadays? I'm thinking of releasing some small puzzle games that probably no one will want to sponsor (due to puzzles being unappealing to 11 year olds, which are as everyone knows 95% of flash game players) and even something as small as 150-200 bucks could help me out right now. I hate having to come up with graphics and level design for games, plus puzzles are fun because when you finish them you can try to solve them.

Johnny -
Time management is not a problem; there's no rush. I myself can't work much this week until I get back from holidays.

Zyphonee -
If you're really desperate to make a flash I could help you out with the actionscript but I must warn you I'm not very good at finishing large games, so try to keep it simple. Also as I learned from my last project, I'm still very bad at design.

Sorry for not using PM's. It's kinda like a 3-way discussion and I didn't figure out how the mechanics of that work.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-12-27 15:25:42

At 12/27/09 03:18 PM, Toast wrote: ads
How much money do you get from NG/mochi ads nowadays? I'm thinking of releasing some small puzzle games that probably no one will want to sponsor (due to puzzles being unappealing to 11 year olds, which are as everyone knows 95% of flash game players) and even something as small as 150-200 bucks could help me out right now. I hate having to come up with graphics and level design for games, plus puzzles are fun because when you finish them you can try to solve them.

Dude, I barely recognized you with the red aura!

Anyway, to my knowledge puzzle games actually sell quite well if it's done good. Since it provides a good amount of play time and challenge.

Nonetheless, good luck with your game.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-12-27 16:21:41

At 12/27/09 03:18 PM, Toast wrote: ads

I have no idea what the average numbers are. My last game is my first one which had CMPStar Ads implemented. It did about 450$ at 525,000 ad impressions and an ecpm of 0,83$. It's a nice amount if you consider it as an extra (on top of the sponsorship price). I can buy shirts and expensive whiskey with it :D

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-12-27 17:22:08

I've had a few days over the last 2 weeks where the eCPM has been ridiculously high, $3.19 on one day.. that's compared to the average which is about $0.20. I don't understand it >:/

Sup, bitches :)

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-12-27 18:13:09

Function.apply() method is a life saver.

I'm creating a console for the game I'm making and splitting the entered string into the function needed and the parameters. Was going to be so awkward until looked up the apply method and found out you can pass the parameters into an array. Should take only a few steps to do. Split the string into method and parameters. Convert the parameters to the correct datatype and call the apply() method.

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."

- Oscar Wilde

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-12-27 19:03:03

Newgrounds. A great place to use flash. No site is better then this one use and share flash.
Collabs, their a great idea. A bunch of people working together to make something great.
Just one problem. So many people make collabs. I think now, 7-8 collabs are running. Are their enough users on NG that-

*Are fairly good at flash.

Those are the people that can join collabs. Just 1 rule. This is most people who want top join collabs
-Joined Yesterday
-Not 1 submission with a score of over 2.

Thats not the people we want to join collabs right? We need guys who are good and know what their doing. The thing is, their are not many people like that. Will one collab take over the other?
Know what I mean?
Say a COLLAB 1 just started running on NG. 10 people join.
About an hour later, another collab, COLLAB 2, is posted, people jump on it. 6 people join in 2 hours.

People from collab 1 quit and go to collab 2.

What do you guys think? Isn't that how collabs die? I know a number of collabs that died from people quitting. Thats why I' sacred when I make a collab? I was think these things
* Will it be good?
* Will people join?
* Will I be humiliated by the NG flash community and no one will trust me again?

What do you guys think?

I am a FAB

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-12-27 19:23:51

At 12/27/09 07:03 PM, windowskiller wrote:
What do you guys think?

I think they're mostly for fun since they're open to the public. People join since it sounds fun and people quit because there's really no purpose of finishing it if you're not having fun. If you really want a good 'collab' done, contact people personally that have reputable portfolios and dedication while showing your own.

the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-12-27 20:16:07

Toast-
Well, the thing is that I'm completely available for any game you want to make, it's not as in desperate, I'm just unbelievably bored and really wanting to do something worth it.
Now, I am completely available for any projects, large or not, since I am in summer vacation, so if you've got any idea for a game, just tell me if you wanna collab. That D&D game sounds like fun.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-12-27 20:46:31

Collabs

I want to see a collab set and keep it's standards high. I mean, I understand that lots of collabs are for fun, but I would like to see a few that really keep the quality. Too many collabs have pieces in them that are obviously rushed and last minute, or very little effort. They should either tell the person to improve it to meet the standards or cut them out. And perhaps some more collabs revolving less around gimmicks and copyrighted characters and more around bringing an idea or story to life.

On the other hand, I'm not really doing anything to change this so I have no right to complain.

"Animation is not the art of drawings that move, but the art of movements that are drawn." -Norman McLaren

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-12-27 22:55:09

At 12/27/09 08:46 PM, PBass wrote: Collabs

Yea I agree, I stopped doing collab movies awhile ago. I'd rather collab on something like Rtil and his female amiga jenna did. where you actually collaborate and mesh styles within the same scenes like cell animation, not just a series of random parts.

the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-12-27 23:06:31

At 12/27/09 10:55 PM, Starogre wrote:
Yea I agree, I stopped doing collab movies awhile ago. I'd rather collab on something like Rtil and his female amiga jenna did. where you actually collaborate and mesh styles within the same scenes like cell animation, not just a series of random parts.

I dont mind collabs, and i dont even mind random parts sometimes. Ive ignored most of the collabs this year but its a good low commitment project and sometimes it can be just the thing to get you back into the animation scene. I do think that the collab scene is waiting for more creative people to step up to the plate and offer more. We dont NEEED to base it on a video game character or flash series, we dont NEEED to base it on a good song from the radio.
That morphing collab TheBoogley did was alot of fun to be part of. It's something i was able to spend an afternoon on and be done with it and the end product was so well done.

I actually dont think collabs have to be these massive and totally polished projects, tho it is cool to see that as well.

None

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-12-27 23:49:32

I am a collab whore. Hey...they're fun. I wouldn't even do this stuff if it wasn't. The standards thing really depends on the person throwing it. This is where some directorial vision comes into play. There are restrictive directors, and inclusive directors. The restrictive ones always seem to come up with airtight, high-rated collabs, that are so much eye-candy. Good for them. The inclusive types, who I slightly respect more, are not ashamed of anyone's work, and are just happy to provide something fun to do. These types of collabs are very good for people just starting out (like we all did at one point), and will push the less experienced to try harder and do better. There is room for both on a site where everything is by everyone.

:)

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-12-28 00:47:07

I want to see a collab set and keep it's standards high. I mean, I understand that lots of collabs are for fun, but I would like to see a few that really keep the quality.

--this comment is mixed with this comment and the one that starogre sed--

I agree, i think if i ever get lolsy NG famous, i'll send out emails to all the super-star animators on here and see if they wanna do a collab like rtil's. where they mix graphics in every scene telling 1 story :D

sounds epic =D

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-12-28 02:14:36

Me and a student at my college are going to do a completely traditionally animated piece together. We're going to do pencil animations, hand painted bgs, color it on cels and capture it onto film. The big problem is that building a proper rostrum camera and paying for the cels and cel paint is expeeeensive. Does anybody have any ideas of people that might sponsor us once we show them the pencil animation? Or perhaps a better way to raise funds?

"Animation is not the art of drawings that move, but the art of movements that are drawn." -Norman McLaren

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-12-28 11:29:36

At 12/28/09 02:14 AM, PBass wrote: Does anybody have any ideas of people that might sponsor us once we show them the pencil animation? Or perhaps a better way to raise funds?

Could you get a professor to sponsor you or get anything out of your school?

Also I do agree collabs can help get back into the scene and its a small project you can publish onto newgrounds, and it does take an extreme amount of dedication from all parties when doing something like Rtil and jenna did. I'd just like to do something eventually similar but i havent taken any animation classes yet so i dont know people from my school who would be interested.

Im also tired of the video game collabs as well. Id rather see more things like Stop Cryin Your Heart Out. Especially with transitions like Luis' and Tommy's, where they work together to produce their mini-scene. What if more collabs had more mini collaboration within the parts? That'd be pretty cool. (Although One O'clock Jump did some of that as well). DO ANOTHER ONE LUIS! TWO OCLOCK HOP

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-12-28 11:57:23

I'm with StarOgre. Original collabs appeal to me so much more than parodies. Though, I'll admit to the fact that I'm not much of a gamer anymore, so I can't really join collabs about games I don't have much knowledge of...

I wish I could join a collab like Stop Cryin Your Heart Out--it's one of my five favorite collabs on NG.

(I know I did the Disney Collab, but come on; who can resist poking fun at Disney?)

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-12-28 12:01:35

collabs are fun! :)

deleted that immature comment lmao.

None

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-12-28 12:09:15

At 12/28/09 12:01 PM, Luis wrote: collabs are fun! :)

meh... I feel too many people join just so they can have their name stamped on the collab.

deleted that immature comment lmao.

well, it was a bit "suggestive"

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-12-28 13:55:10

At 12/28/09 12:09 PM, turtleco wrote:
At 12/28/09 12:01 PM, Luis wrote: collabs are fun! :)
meh... I feel too many people join just so they can have their name stamped on the collab.

When i was 13, i made a shittty flash, it got blammed, and i thought "hey, i know what i can do!" so i joined a collab so that i could get my named stamped on the collab.

I did a piece AND a few voices for the collab, they didn't even put me in the credits, i was pretty pissed so i never did join a collab again until MGS Collab, but just cuz it was held by NG so i knew i wouldn't get raped again.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-12-28 16:17:29

At 12/28/09 03:30 PM, zrb wrote: Evony ads, they're pretty funny now.

If you've noticed, this is true with a lot of ads, although probably with a lot more subtlety than the Evony ones.

:U

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-12-28 17:32:49

Other stuff you do

What other kinds of stuff does everyone else do here? I'm into a little bit of everything, but would have to say that my love above all else is carpentry. I generally prefer cooler, more modern stuff but my GF's mother HATED her mantle and fireplace, so I made her a new one.

About 60 hours of work total. I covered up every inch of brick with drywall, removed the old screen (She still needs to get a new one.. I just drew a fire in it's place with a sharpy) covered the area around the screen and the hearth with marble, and hand crafted and installed each piece of the mantle/legs. Almost all of the molding (except the cove/crown molding) was created by hand with a variety of router bits as well.

This is its new state before final coating of paint and what not.

Once I get a nice house, I'm going to start doing some things based around pop culture. (endgrain cutting boards with 8bit characters and what not) Traditional stuff like this is nice, but wouldn't make as happy as an Atari controller candle holder. =p

Post pictures/stories of your other loves.

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

Writer @ www.Johnrickett.com

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-12-28 19:04:04

At 12/28/09 05:32 PM, Johnny wrote: Other stuff you do

What other kinds of stuff does everyone else do here? I'm into a little bit of everything, but would have to say that my love above all else is carpentry.

That looks fantastic! I especially like how lifelike your new fireplace flames look.

I've been doing a little bit of home renovation myself. My new bedroom was painted a god awful orange and blue ... so ive been repainting it to white and slime green. ill post pics when im back there...

I'm also in the process of moving out of my current place and ive never realized i had so many fucking clothes. I'd say ive minimized my wardrobe by about 40% just now and theres still way too much shit... and ive not even gotten to my shoes and coats.

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

None

BBS Signature