00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

2,882,185 Views | 60,179 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-11-03 05:55:12

At 11/3/09 12:44 AM, Starogre wrote:
At 11/2/09 11:27 PM, MichaelHurst wrote:
At 11/2/09 06:07 PM, Starogre wrote: i partizzled with nogfishizzle in downtown bmore
Sine yo pitty on the runny tine.
COsine YO pitty on THE runny tine!

This conversation is going off on a tangent.

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."

- Oscar Wilde

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-11-03 08:09:14

At 11/2/09 09:23 PM, zrb wrote: It was pretty fun but the fact that the ball is small makes it really hard in some places, I say it should start big and gradually shrink while exploding, like losing a layer of itself.

I got into the pitfall of getting really good at my own game, it seems. What level were you able to get too? I don't want to make it too easy, but having it be that difficult is no fun either.

Also how come sometimes the explosions freeze and alot don't ? Is purposely doing that ?

That's one of the biggest mysteries in the game. The explosions are all handled by a class I created PixelExplosion that actually creates it's own bitmapData object, handles the explosion algorithm (next pixel in the path becomes a color, current one becomes transparent) and then removes itself when it's done, bitmapData object and all.

The explosions 'freezing' is not an intended event, and to accommodate for it I tried various ways to remove the objects from the screen so that if one froze, it wouldn't linger there. I was hoping the problem would be small enough that it would hardly be noticed.

Also when stuff blows up, you should shake the screen to add to the effect cause it doesn't feel empowering to blow stuff up :(

I really like that suggestion and will toy around with it a bit once I get some sound effects put in place.

@ Kirk. Lulz touchpad! (There will be a disclaimer)

Writer @ www.Johnrickett.com

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-11-03 21:09:36

Haven't been in here in forever.....Schools a bitch. Anyway, i got a new sig, and my life ends Novemeber 10th, when MW2 comes out. I'm so excited.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-11-03 21:51:31

At 11/3/09 09:09 PM, Blackfang wrote: Haven't been in here in forever.....Schools a bitch. Anyway, i got a new sig, and my life ends Novemeber 10th, when MW2 comes out. I'm so excited.

You should change your name to rainbow fang, because your sig sir, is not a black fang at all :O

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-11-03 22:53:33

At 11/3/09 09:51 PM, Duchednier wrote: You should change your name to rainbow fang, because your sig sir, is not a black fang at all :O

Or maybe you should just be rainbow, because there are no fangs in that sig.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-11-04 01:43:11

just got back from a crazy good hockey game. fun times.

also, i think it would be awesome if adobe included an ease feature for gradients. i can see how that would be useful especially for large radial gradients.

Sig made by me

Once again i'm falling down a mountain like a metaphor

Here ends another post by the grand master of all things: fluffkomix

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-11-04 04:55:57

Hit 'F' and drag that gradient, bro

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-11-04 06:30:25

Not really satisfied with how it turned out in the end, but still:

Now, on to more creative stuff!

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-11-04 08:41:13

Ok....I know this is stupid, which I am. How to place the preloader on your flash?

Support me on my Patreon!

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-11-04 08:48:20

Posting from my phone cause I'm bored in IT. Finished making a website and now have to write a 'proposal' for it. Really fun...

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-11-04 09:47:48

At 11/2/09 09:09 PM, Johnny wrote:
I need to know various things like;

Is it fun? Addicting at least?
Does it run well? It can be pretty intensive, and it's a major concern of mine.
Instructions clear enough?

Any opinions on improvements? If it's horrible, let me know why at least. Please be specific if you can.

Constructive criticism GO!

Prismatica II demo

It was fun, though it seems to start out rather slow. As for the instructions, there's too many words! I don't mean that in a bad way, but you're going to get a lot of people skipping them just because of that. Instead of saying "Don't click these, they reduce your points" or whatever, you could just say "No click! These bad!" and most of the people who check Newgrounds will be more likely to read them. Keep it simple.

Also I had more fun when there were two stars on the screen at a time, so I'd have that happen more often. It ran fine on a Macbook but I can see where the effects could slow down many older computers.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-11-04 11:36:34

At 11/4/09 08:41 AM, TaraGraphics wrote: Ok....I know this is stupid, which I am. How to place the preloader on your flash?

http://www.newgrounds.com/downloads/prel oaders/ Download one of these and put it on the first frame of your Flash. There should be a tutorial in one of the frames of the .fla you download.

This is a discussion thread though so if you have any more problems I'd look up other preloader questions in the forum search bar or make a topic about it on the Flash forum.

the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-11-04 12:19:12

At 11/3/09 08:09 AM, Johnny wrote:
At 11/2/09 09:23 PM, zrb wrote: It was pretty fun but the fact that the ball is small makes it really hard in some places, I say it should start big and gradually shrink while exploding, like losing a layer of itself.
I got into the pitfall of getting really good at my own game, it seems. What level were you able to get too? I don't want to make it too easy, but having it be that difficult is no fun either.

I agree with him. Its to difficult. It just gets borring when i go a whole minute without hitting anything useful. Im assuming you have it so that you need to click directly on it to destroy it. But it might be nice if the hit area whent just a bit further then the artwork. Not enough to make it noticable that you are destroying things without clicking on them, just enough that when they are moving fast you have a higher chance of hitting it.

The explosions 'freezing' is not an intended event, and to accommodate for it I tried various ways to remove the objects from the screen so that if one froze, it wouldn't linger there. I was hoping the problem would be small enough that it would hardly be noticed.

I got alot of unfinished explosions. It is very noticeable at the moment.

Maybe you can increase the number of upgrades that come out. There a little to rare of an occurance. And a nice visual cue that getting the upgrade actually did something. Like the red orbs pulsing or something more dramatic. Seems in this kind of game you have alot of chances to do some crazy effects.

But yah, good game. Might want to tweek it around to make it a little more enjoyable over more then a minute or two of gameplay, but its going good so far.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-11-04 15:21:04

At 11/2/09 09:09 PM, Johnny wrote: Prismatica II demo

First of all, I wasn't sure whether I would be penalised for hitting the PRISMS 'through' a star (i.e. if I clicked on a star while it was on top of a PRISM). Also, I would suggest a quick 'video' tutorial to explain the rules.
Secondly, one of the strange things about people is that they would rather be told that they had to act fast than get slightly bored and decide to act fast anyway. Since your game can easily be played through patience (and so encouraging this boring wait), you may wish to put a timer in - not too strict, but enough to keep players on their toes.
Is a negative multiplier a good idea? It's kind of counter-productive when hitting stars makes you lose points (although I was happy to see that you could redeem your multiplayer by playing well).

Anyway, good luck with the project!

Doomsday-One, working on stuff better than preloaders. Marginally.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-11-04 18:05:33

Wolfram Alpha

Anyone else use it? I'm just amazed at how versatile it is. (I kinda pillaged it in that example but you get my drift.) In my opinion it's a lot more useful than wikipedia for research, but that's mainly as I do sciency and maths things for A level, so everything is given conclolisely and nicely but not explained detail.

Also: lol

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-11-04 18:44:27

Wolfram Alpha

I like it (though the £30 ipod app is stupid). It's a good take on a search engine and as you said its very good for more scientific queries. I wish it could compare graphs though (unless i am mistaken), that would be very handy.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-11-04 20:43:25

At 11/4/09 07:11 PM, citricsquid wrote: you might appreciate

That is a really novel idea, very addicting

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-11-04 21:15:40

The water in Majorca don't taste like what it oughta.

| AS3: Main | AS2: Main | Flash Tutorials |

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-11-04 21:51:34

Cunts

Do you know who are cunts? Everyone. But more cuntish than most is BT. They're my ISP atm. The internet has been "unavailable" twice already, within 2 months, which is already two times too many. ATM I'm getting less than broadband speeds (i.e. I'm paying for a rabbit and getting a snail). By rights I should be allowed to fuck Mr.BT's wife/daughter.

When my glorious revolution happens these cunts will be first up against the wall.

FUCK BT.

The water in Majorca don't taste like what it oughta.

| AS3: Main | AS2: Main | Flash Tutorials |

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-11-05 01:42:23

For those on a mac:

Applications/Utilities/Grapher.app

one of the coolest hidden gems in the computer if you like math

it can graph like... anything!

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-11-05 01:50:23

awesome

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-11-05 01:57:36

At 11/4/09 09:51 PM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote:
When my glorious revolution happens these cunts will be first up against the wall.
FUCK BT.

my internet is stupidly slow, but my mom won't upgrade because she doesn't realize how slow it really is.

also, what the hell is the new programmer calculator in windows 7? go to the calculator and go view > programmer.

i can't make heads or tails of it. i've never heard of any of these functions (RoR, RoL, XoR, Rsh, Not, And, Or, Mod, Lsh)

Sig made by me

Once again i'm falling down a mountain like a metaphor

Here ends another post by the grand master of all things: fluffkomix

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-11-05 02:05:49

At 11/5/09 01:57 AM, fluffkomix wrote: i can't make heads or tails of it. i've never heard of any of these functions (RoR, RoL, XoR, Rsh, Not, And, Or, Mod, Lsh)

Hm maybe it's for programming chips in electrical circuits?

the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-11-05 02:27:44

At 11/5/09 01:57 AM, fluffkomix wrote: i can't make heads or tails of it. i've never heard of any of these functions (RoR, RoL, XoR, Rsh, Not, And, Or, Mod, Lsh)

my guesses
RoR = Rotate Right
01001110 -> 00100111 -> 10010011

RoL = rotate left (reverse of above)
01001110 -> 10011100 -> 00111001

XOR = exclusive or:

0 XOR 0 = 0
0 XOR 1 = 1
1 XOR 0 = 1
1 XOR 1 = 0

Rsh = Right Shift
01001110 -> 00100111 -> 00010011

Lsh = Left Shift
01001110 -> 10011100 -> 00111000

NOT = inverse
0 -> 1
1 -> 0
01001110 -> 10110001

AND = and
1 AND 1 = 1
0 AND 1 = 0
1 AND 0 = 0
0 AND 0 = 0

OR = or
1 OR 1 = 1
1 OR 0 = 1
0 OR 1 = 1
0 OR 0 = 0

MOD = modulus (remainder)
31 MOD 10 = 1 (31/10 = 3 remainder 1)
8 MOD 3 = 2 (8/3 = 2 remainder 2)

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-11-05 03:41:00

You guys and your code...i dont even know why i'm posting this. i'm so tired i feel like im constantly squinting and its 4 30 am. goodnight.

this was wasteful.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-11-05 11:56:55

I didn't get it at first, I didn't read the instructions and I was just told to "put your mouse here" twice so I did, then I was like ok I have to rotate it to make it resemble the picture, and was just twirling at random til it looked like it, then I discovered it's actually quite easy to do if you actually think about the picture you're recreating. Very cool idea, very well done.

At 11/5/09 01:42 AM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: Applications/Utilities/Grapher.app

I shall look into it on my friends Mac. Graphs are fun.

At 11/4/09 09:51 PM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote: Cunts

I'm with virgin media, 20mbit line between 5 of us (4 of which are computing students i.e. heavy internet users). The only real problem we have is if someone is using too much bandwith, it can be hard to isolate.. sometimes someone isn't capping their uploads, it may be a virus/botnet, or maybe just the router being a bitch :X It's fine in general though.

The windows 7 programming calculator is very nice. Those functions are all bitwise operators.. you may know them better (or not) as |, &, %, ^, <<, >>, etc. They perform functions on binary data (as Glaiel showed very well). Bitwise operations are very fast.

Sup, bitches :)

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-11-05 12:13:54

My brain hurts. I joined the 11 Second Animation Club and just voted on over 200 entries for October. So many were so similar that I can hardly think straight right now...

On the plus side, I got a lot of great practice in telling good animation from bad.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-11-05 13:59:29

At 11/5/09 12:13 PM, JKR wrote: My brain hurts. I joined the 11 Second Animation Club and just voted on over 200 entries for October. So many were so similar that I can hardly think straight right now...

On the plus side, I got a lot of great practice in telling good animation from bad.

You going to submit something for November? I've been meaning to put something up there, but my schoolwork gets in the way so much.

"Animation is not the art of drawings that move, but the art of movements that are drawn." -Norman McLaren

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-11-05 14:05:43

Yeah, I plan to try. Though after watching some of the awesome things they have for October, I think this will be more for my own practice than any hope of winning. :)

I'll work at it though! Maybe set a goal to one day get first place in one of these. Could be fun.

I hear you about the time thing, though. Work takes up most, then the Shades of Orange collab gets the rest, so I think I'll be fitting in a November entry for 11 Seconds sometime between 2AM and 5AM, lol.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-11-05 14:47:54

Is today guy fawks day/night?