Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 30th, 2008 @ 09:25 PM Reply

New Years superstitionssss

hah my friends always give me shit for this and maybe im partly insane.. but its always been passed down to me from generation to generation.. anyway one of my 'superstitions' or whatever during new years is to make sure i have cash in my pockets... according to my grandmother and my great grandmother before that ... the legend/or whatever is that if you head into the new year with cash in your pocket, you are ensured a financially stable year ahead of you....

maybe im forever paranoid but the last 2 years ive done it ive done well... maybe its a placebo effect. maybe not.. but whatever the case i thought id share that with you allll

*BTW it ruins the superstition if you have credit cards instead of actual cash... also it has to be yours.. you cant borrow it from someone as the clock turns 12.

gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum

zrb
zrb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 30th, 2008 @ 09:51 PM Reply

At 12/30/08 09:25 PM, Luis wrote: maybe im forever paranoid but the last 2 years ive done it ive done well... maybe its a placebo effect. maybe not.. but whatever the case i thought id share that with you allll

It wouldn't hurt to give it a try, you have nothing to lose. Unless your walking around with more than 100$ and get it stolen.

School Sux ! || As :Main || As3: Main || Animation: Main || Flash Tutorials ||

BBS Signature
knugen
knugen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 30th, 2008 @ 09:54 PM Reply

At 12/30/08 09:25 PM, Luis wrote: *BTW it ruins the superstition if you have credit cards instead of actual cash... also it has to be yours.. you cant borrow it from someone as the clock turns 12.

My wallet have never been as well filled as it is right now, much thanks to relatives who are bad at giving Christmas gifts. So, I suppose that I am going to have a pretty good financial year then :D

I think that I will bring all my money over to my online poker account the same minute that the new year kicks in, if I go broke you owe me Luis!
ImpendingRiot
ImpendingRiot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 30th, 2008 @ 09:55 PM Reply

At 12/30/08 06:27 PM, Coolio-Niato wrote:
At 12/30/08 02:52 AM, xxflareknightxx wrote:
I saw the spirit too. It was really great. I loved all of the colors and it was very funny and fun to watch. Just a great film overall.
This is a great example of how maturity affects your judgement. The spirit was actually the worst movie I've ever seen in my life. Please don't waste ANY money on it.

I don't see how it's an issue of maturity, they're entitled to like it just as much as you're entitled to dislike it. I get a kick out of the shitty Mario Brothers movie they made, even though that is technically one of the most used examples of a bad movie.

Opinions are like assholes.

Word to your mother

BBS Signature
fluffkomix
fluffkomix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 30th, 2008 @ 10:02 PM Reply

At 12/29/08 10:53 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: Has anyone else here ever gotten the flash "scratchy sound on export" problem? I've had it in every version I've ever owned, on multiple computers and they never fixed it.

Like every now and then, randomly, large FLAs will export with horrible, ear-piercing scratchy versions of the sounds I want them to play, and it requires a whole lot of luck and restarting flash to fix the problem. It sucks cause it means on every export I have to make sure EVERY sound works right. Ugg. Pain in the ass that someone should fix.

well thats never really happened to me by accident. though once just because i was curious i turned down the sound quality a whole bunch (8kb), and the sound was so bad it hurt my ears. maybe you did the sound quality on the stream audios, but forgot to set it for the event audios. sometimes people forget that the audio set quality for the two are in different places.

Sig made by me
Once again i'm falling down a mountain like a metaphor
Here ends another post by the grand master of all things: fluffkomix

BBS Signature
Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 30th, 2008 @ 10:08 PM Reply

At 12/30/08 10:02 PM, fluffkomix wrote: maybe you did the sound quality on the stream audios, but forgot to set it for the event audios.

No its nothing I did. I always always always turn both to 64 kbps stereo cause I'm an audio guy.

It's RANDOM when it makes it screechy so I know it's a flash bug.

Kool-Aid
Kool-Aid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 31st, 2008 @ 12:00 AM Reply

Been Away

It's Xmas break, and i was so busy. Too bad schools in 5 days. Anyway i havn't been on recently. Got new PS3 games and such. Been having too much fun =P. Fallout 3 and Dead Space are fucking amazing.

New Sig....Whats better?

What one do you like better?!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

fluffkomix
fluffkomix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 31st, 2008 @ 12:01 AM Reply

At 12/31/08 12:00 AM, Blackfang wrote: Been Away

It's Xmas break, and i was so busy. Too bad schools in 5 days. Anyway i havn't been on recently. Got new PS3 games and such. Been having too much fun =P. Fallout 3 and Dead Space are fucking amazing.

New Sig....Whats better?

i like the grey one better., and glaiel im sorry i couldnt help you then

Sig made by me

BBS Signature
fluffkomix
fluffkomix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 31st, 2008 @ 12:03 AM Reply

At 12/30/08 10:08 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote:
At 12/30/08 10:02 PM, fluffkomix wrote: maybe you did the sound quality on the stream audios, but forgot to set it for the event audios.
No its nothing I did. I always always always turn both to 64 kbps stereo cause I'm an audio guy.

It's RANDOM when it makes it screechy so I know it's a flash bug.

o hey do you always remember to override sound settings? cuz im pretty sure setting it doesnt work unless you do that.

Sig made by me

BBS Signature
K-Guare
K-Guare
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 31st, 2008 @ 12:08 AM Reply

I've never had screechy sound problems in Flash...

Actually, i did once, but,
that's because i set a SoundTransform.volume property to 75, instead of 0.75.
I know it's probably nothing you did, but,
that might explain the problem a little.

what

BBS Signature
ConAir
ConAir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 31st, 2008 @ 01:44 AM Reply

I hate to plug, but I just pooped out a new holiday movie! Go check it out!

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/47 6492

always behind schedule.

BBS Signature
ConAir
ConAir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 31st, 2008 @ 01:46 AM Reply

Shit, fucked that up.

Enjoy!

always behind schedule.

BBS Signature
BoMToons
BoMToons
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 31st, 2008 @ 03:55 AM Reply

At 12/30/08 09:25 PM, Luis wrote: New Years superstitionssss

My fam has superstition that whatever you spend new year's day doing will be what you spend the majority of your time doing for the rest of the year...discuss

Xeptic
Xeptic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 31st, 2008 @ 05:22 AM Reply

At 12/31/08 03:55 AM, BoMToons wrote: My fam has superstition that whatever you spend new year's day doing will be what you spend the majority of your time doing for the rest of the year...discuss

Being drunk?

BBS Signature
Toast
Toast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 31st, 2008 @ 05:30 AM Reply

At 12/30/08 08:35 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: WELCOME TO QUANTUM THEORY!

damn

BBS Signature
TheCriminalDuder
TheCriminalDuder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Animator
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 31st, 2008 @ 06:12 AM Reply

At 12/31/08 05:22 AM, Xeptic wrote:
At 12/31/08 03:55 AM, BoMToons wrote: My fam has superstition that whatever you spend new year's day doing will be what you spend the majority of your time doing for the rest of the year...discuss
Being drunk?

Being baked?

www.DuderEntertainment.com/ | Makin' Laughs and Kickin' Ass! >:3

BBS Signature
Xeptic
Xeptic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 31st, 2008 @ 09:50 AM Reply

At 12/31/08 06:12 AM, TheCriminalDuder wrote:
Being drunk?
Being baked?

Sound like it will be a stellar year. Since I live in the future for most of you, except for the Ozzies and Kiwis (if we have any) I'll be able to wish you all a happy new year in exactly 8 hours and 10 minutes. I will let you know from the future how the year 09 is so far.

BBS Signature
zrb
zrb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 31st, 2008 @ 11:48 AM Reply

At 12/31/08 12:00 AM, Blackfang wrote: Been Away

Cool.

Grr, my PS2 broke, and I have yet to get a PS3. No more Metal Gear for me :[

New Sig....Whats better?

New sig.

New sig.

BBS Signature
Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 31st, 2008 @ 11:54 AM Reply

At 12/31/08 12:03 AM, fluffkomix wrote: o hey do you always remember to override sound settings? cuz im pretty sure setting it doesnt work unless you do that.

No I don't override sound settings cause I needed one sound at a much higher quality than the rest... override will override EVERYTHING and not checking it will only override what's set to "default".

I know what I'm doing kid and I know for a fact that this is a flash bug and not something I'm doing wrong because of it's sporadic behavior.

K-Guare
K-Guare
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 31st, 2008 @ 12:04 PM Reply

At 12/31/08 11:48 AM, zrb wrote: Grr, my PS2 broke, and I have yet to get a PS3. No more Metal Gear for me :[

Same here. :/

(to the PS3 owners) Any suggestions on
games i should get when i buy one?

what

BBS Signature
GustTheASGuy
GustTheASGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 31st, 2008 @ 12:48 PM Reply

At 12/31/08 11:54 AM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: No I don't override sound settings cause I needed one sound at a much higher quality than the rest... override will override EVERYTHING and not checking it will only override what's set to "default".

I find it's usually best to find a LAME setting that Flash allows for the library entry to 'use imported compression' so it then doesn't reencode any sounds.

In fact it's best to leave as little as possible for Flash to do. Don't use it for compression, if possible don't do graphics in it, and for the love of pizza, don't code in it.

BBS Signature
zrb
zrb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 31st, 2008 @ 02:56 PM Reply

At 12/31/08 12:48 PM, GustTheASGuy wrote: [...] if possible don't do graphics in it, and for the love of pizza, don't code in it.

Is that a joke ? I seriously can't tell.
If it isn't a joke, your saying that we should do the graphics on some other program and then just import them into Flash, but what about the coding? Are you supposed to type your codes in word or something then just copy-paste them ? And how would that make any difference ? The coding I mean.
If it was actually a joke, I feel stupid :P

BBS Signature
DawnOfDusk
DawnOfDusk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 31st, 2008 @ 02:59 PM Reply

Flash '08 portfolio.

One project sucks complete ass "Tile" the other ones are ok I guess.
Check it out.

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 31st, 2008 @ 03:24 PM Reply

At 12/31/08 02:56 PM, zrb wrote: Is that a joke ? I seriously can't tell.

No that's just Gust butt-humping Haxe again

hesselbom
hesselbom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 31st, 2008 @ 03:56 PM Reply

At 12/31/08 03:24 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote:
At 12/31/08 02:56 PM, zrb wrote: Is that a joke ? I seriously can't tell.
No that's just Gust butt-humping Haxe again

So you can seriously recommend using Flash for writing code when there are other IDEs like FlashDevelop and whatnot? And lets not forget using Flex as a compiler instead of Flash.

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 31st, 2008 @ 04:19 PM Reply

At 12/31/08 03:56 PM, hesselbom wrote: So you can seriously recommend using Flash for writing code when there are other IDEs like FlashDevelop and whatnot? And lets not forget using Flex as a compiler instead of Flash.

When you're dealing with a lot of graphics and working with an artist and stuff it's a lot easier to have that all in the same file. I'm not used to either of the alternatives.

As an IDE though, the only thing wrong with flash's editor is the autoformat, everything else works as expected (although error reporting could be a little better).

Is there even a mac version of flashdevelop or haxe out there? Is it possible to use those in correspondence with a library of graphics that an artist makes for you in flash without having to edit it? Is using one of those easy for someone who doesn't know how to code at all to compile the code I give them? The artists I work with usually have some version of the fla they can test their graphics in, and a lot of them no next to nothing about coding (with the exception of bomtoons)

Mexifry
Mexifry
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 31st, 2008 @ 04:21 PM Reply

At 12/31/08 01:44 AM, ConAir wrote: I hate to plug, but I just pooped out a new holiday movie! Go check it out!

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/47 6492

I made a Christmas Flash Also!

I hate how I spent a good Month+ on it and the damn power went out a few days before I wanted to submit. So I had to be added as coauthor instead of submitter. :/

I'm a little disappointed I'm all the way in like 23rd place, but that is still okay I guess.

Damn you Luis and how your Pixel Christmas Flash you made In like 2 days does way better. :(
GustTheASGuy
GustTheASGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 31st, 2008 @ 04:36 PM Reply

At 12/31/08 04:14 PM, SpamBurger wrote: It's called PERSONAL PREFERENCE

It's called shut up and use Flex. :p

At 12/31/08 04:19 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: As an IDE though, the only thing wrong with flash's editor is the autoformat, everything else works as expected (although error reporting could be a little better).

The memory use, cache blows, gay project view, no build tasking, no class/symbol view.

Is there even a mac version of flashdevelop or haxe out there?

haXe is portable, FD is a Windows whore.

Is it possible to use those in correspondence with a library of graphics that an artist makes for you in flash without having to edit it?

haXe pretty much simply injects code in a given SWF so you can resolve linkage names or reflect across the display list.

Is using one of those easy for someone who doesn't know how to code at all to compile the code I give them?

You'll need some kind of build task, at the simplest a batch to grab the Flash graphics SWF and inject the code.

BBS Signature
knugen
knugen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 31st, 2008 @ 09:36 PM Reply

Obligatory drunken post

I just got home from celebrating new years just a few mins (by car) from where I live, but yet still in the middle of nowhere (I had no reception on my cell phone, I got tons of text messages the moment I were heading home). So yeah, happy new years, although I suppose that most of you still are in the bad old rotten '08 ;)

Meh, I would've written more if I weren't so tired.. Anyway, have fun you crazy americans when it's your turn :) Over and out.
Xeptic
Xeptic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge Dec. 31st, 2008 @ 10:58 PM Reply

Happy new years! Best of wishes to all of you. I'm not looking forward to tomorrow morning....

BBS Signature