New Topic Respond to this Topic
Toast
Toast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-08-15 13:25:01 Reply

I know that it always seems like the older generations were a lot better and more fun but seriously I think there's some truth to it. Just look at the times when flash regs used to make multiplayer flash games, and everyone was building new uber sites and everyone had nice flash games. Even if not everything worked out as we wanted it to, it was still fucking good. In 2006 I finished 2 flash games that didn't score so well, and built a website with a small team that was considered not very good at the time. However, I still got from it millions of hits and dozen thousands unique visitors before it fell apart. What did I do in 2007? started a few projects that were never finished. 2008? finished a 50 lines bot for AS wars. in 2005-2006, every day was productivity day.

And yeah I'm not ranting about how cool it was when inglor was here, I'm comparing the facts.

and paranoia, what do you mean im a brain? :C

BBS Signature
adman
adman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-08-15 13:28:24 Reply

Edible Castle Missing Episode

Who thought that this was a good idea? Tbh i thought it was kinda cheap, and cheesy, i didnt really like the idea, even though it was pretty clever..

BBS Signature
Toast
Toast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-08-15 14:01:23 Reply

edible castle missing episode

someone will have to explain that to me, I don't read NG news and don't watch flashs in the portal.

BBS Signature
CybexALT
CybexALT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-08-15 14:15:13 Reply

Am i a mod yet?

zrb
zrb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-08-15 14:18:18 Reply

At 8/15/08 02:15 PM, CybexALT wrote: Am i a mod yet?

Who are you ? What am I missing here ? Are you GuyWithHisComp or something ?

School Sux ! || As :Main || As3: Main || Animation: Main || Flash Tutorials ||

BBS Signature
Kirk-Cocaine
Kirk-Cocaine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-08-15 14:20:36 Reply

At 8/15/08 02:18 PM, zrb wrote:

That's Cybex. God, young 'uns these days. 'Sup Cybex?

The water in Majorca don't taste like what it oughta.

| AS3: Main | AS2: Main | Flash Tutorials |

BBS Signature
Toast
Toast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-08-15 14:21:14 Reply

dude tell us what's going on. why aren't you using cybex and why are you spamming the forums?

BBS Signature
CybexALT
CybexALT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-08-15 14:28:25 Reply

At 8/15/08 02:20 PM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote: That's Cybex. God, young 'uns these days. 'Sup Cybex?

sup.

At 8/15/08 02:21 PM, Toast wrote: dude tell us what's going on. why aren't you using cybex and why are you spamming the forums?

I am not using cybex because its been hacked again or something and the email address related to it isn't mine so i can't get my password back, and I am spamming the forums because I am getting bored of my 3 months Summer holiday and I've forgotten how to newgrounds properly.

Anyway, I'm not staying, just going to lurk for a while until i get something to do like a job or uni or something.

Toast
Toast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-08-15 14:37:35 Reply

At 8/15/08 02:28 PM, CybexALT wrote: i get something to do like a job

let's re-launch ketchupandmayo.com or however it was called and earn mooneyz

seriously

BBS Signature
CybexALT
CybexALT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-08-15 14:42:29 Reply

At 8/15/08 02:37 PM, Toast wrote:
At 8/15/08 02:28 PM, CybexALT wrote: i get something to do like a job
let's re-launch ketchupandmayo.com or however it was called and earn mooneyz

seriously

nah, it was fun while it lasted, but i never really had the pascience for websites. Plus I can't be bothered to get back into flash again.

patu1
patu1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-08-15 15:05:57 Reply

I thought you got your old account back...sup ?

BBS Signature
UnknownFury
UnknownFury
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-08-15 15:08:04 Reply

At 8/15/08 02:28 PM, CybexALT wrote: I am not using cybex because its been hacked again or something and the email address related to it isn't mine so i can't get my password back, and I am spamming the forums because I am getting bored of my 3 months Summer holiday and I've forgotten how to newgrounds properly.

PM tom? We all know you're cybex so he should be able to get it back for you seeing as you're an ex-reg etc.
Don't leave us again D:

CybexALT
CybexALT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-08-15 15:31:36 Reply

At 8/15/08 03:08 PM, UnknownFury wrote: PM tom? We all know you're cybex so he should be able to get it back for you seeing as you're an ex-reg etc.

Nah, don't really care about it much. this one works fine.

Wolfears2
Wolfears2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-08-15 16:35:43 Reply

Oooh, I'm a naughty clock day spamming boy.

Click my sig for a hilarious thread.

BBS Signature
Paranoia
Paranoia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-08-15 16:44:20 Reply

At 8/15/08 11:59 AM, Luis wrote: RE: Nostalgia

I never really liked nostalgia in regards to this forum or the internet in general. I think its natural human nature to paint any internet nostalgia as this made-up golden age. In a few years this will be the new golden age... when regs were responsible, children ate their vegetables, things were fun, collabs were interesting, etc etc.

Aye, that's kinda what I was saying in a poorly explained kind of way.

Actually, I think a lot of it is to do with just being around for a while. Back when we all started getting into the community, it was this massive, golden pool of creativity that we were all privileged to be a part of. It still is, but having been here for several years I guess a lot of us start to take it for granted :/

Sup Cyborg :)

BBS Signature
Toast
Toast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-08-15 16:55:08 Reply

nostalgia

At 8/15/08 04:44 PM, Paranoia wrote: Aye, that's kinda what I was saying in a poorly explained kind of way.

Actually, I think a lot of it is to do with just being around for a while. Back when we all started getting into the community, it was this massive, golden pool of creativity that we were all privileged to be a part of. It still is, but having been here for several years I guess a lot of us start to take it for granted :/

Sup Cyborg :)

you must admit there's a big difference in terms of productivity and activity between the regs. Sure, we do have an AS war from times to times, but it doesn't match the endless flash debates, AS quizz threads, AS wars, AS arenas, art showcase threads, and all this kind of things. I think it's not false to say that there was more active people in the inglor times. You could hit refresh every 20 seconds to see someone replying to your posts, here I just find myself refreshing for hours before giving up. No offense to the new regs, but I also think that there were a lot more regs that were extremely good at programming in 2006/05.

BBS Signature
crushy
crushy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-08-15 17:10:53 Reply

At 8/15/08 02:18 PM, zrb wrote:

Tssk, even I know who Cybex is ^^

Classic Games

Funny how someone brought that up, I just recently started playing Doom again, it's really hard but more fun than some games today :P

To all those who are complaining about lack of productivity, maybe it would help if we talked more about flash :/

AS3 Transition

So how many people have made the shift from AS2 to AS3? AS3 Main has been so empty, why is everybody holding back?

BBS Signature
adman
adman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-08-15 17:15:28 Reply

At 8/15/08 05:10 PM, crushy wrote: AS3 Transition

So how many people have made the shift from AS2 to AS3? AS3 Main has been so empty, why is everybody holding back?

I think most people are comfortable with AS3, and dont see the point in starting again with AS3, well nearly again. Also most noobs look for tutorials and there are mainly AS2 so thats where they start :3

BBS Signature
Toast
Toast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-08-15 17:26:39 Reply

Flash

At 8/15/08 05:10 PM, crushy wrote: To all those who are complaining about lack of productivity, maybe it would help if we talked more about flash :/

Let's talk about flash then. I have a quick question to you guys - where do you get your motivation from? and do you think the source of motivation varies from artists to programmers? From my personal experience I don't really know if there is anything in specific where artists most get their inspiration / motivation from because I never draw, although I guess it could be just about anything that looks cool. For programmers though, I get most of my flash ideas from other flashes and video games, the rest I get from my rl environment (JuicePlz was thought up when I was really liking these juice stands where i live that make amazing juice). However, I also realized that the only times I finished games was when everything I wrote codes for was already drawn and animated. I used to think that I could code entire games using my shitty placeholders and then get an artist to animate it (therefore avoiding the risk of not finishing a game with a partner), but now I realize that it just sucks your motivation away. There's nothing that motivates me more than looking at a really complete engine, like with elaborate backgrounds, smooth animations, and bugless code. My shittly drawn stickmen with one line'd hills platformers just don't work.

BBS Signature
Mogly
Mogly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Animator
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-08-15 17:27:15 Reply

Re:Newgrounds Nostalgia

At 8/15/08 04:55 PM, Toast wrote: you must admit there's a big difference in terms of productivity and activity between the regs. Sure, we do have an AS war from times to times, but it doesn't match the endless flash debates, AS quizz threads, AS wars, AS arenas, art showcase threads, and all this kind of things. I think it's not false to say that there was more active people in the inglor times. You could hit refresh every 20 seconds to see someone replying to your posts, here I just find myself refreshing for hours before giving up. No offense to the new regs, but I also think that there were a lot more regs that were extremely good at programming in 2006/05.

Yeah.. I'm with Toast. It may be true that everyone has there own 'golden age' to reminicse about... and for me it was what Toast's calling 'The Inglor times'. This is when I was most into Newgrounds, or atleast this forum. That's when this place was a little community to me. I have drifted away over the past year or two. I feel part of the reason for me drifting away is getting busy, but also loosing the ability to sit and read. I found something interesting yesterday..

This article I found was quite reassuring that others are thinking like me. It's an article about how reading on the internet, possibly deteriorates the way you read. Makes you look for snippets, and scan text's rather than actually read and indulge it.

This is a feeling i've had for a while so finding it (how random was this.. I searched for a picture of Jack Kerouac on PicLen's, the result I liked was from a book review blog, which I 'scanned' and managed to find within the first few blog posts, a link to the article) was reassuring and now i'm trying to counteract this by reading thoroughly.

I feel that posting and reading and replying here so much has done this to me, so I'm suing. Nah just kidding, but yeah I do feel me posting, scanning etc here for so long has done it, as this is the place on the internet I visit the most.

Anybody else back this theory?
LINK to ARTICLE :: Is Google making us stupid?

WEBSITE
BLOG ~ Dont fuck around with my dog. All that I can see I steal. ~
NG FFR ~ Automatic for the people.

BBS Signature
EmmDubya
EmmDubya
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Audiophile
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-08-15 17:37:28 Reply

At 8/15/08 05:26 PM, Toast wrote: Flash

I don't really get my motivation from one thing.

Mainly it's just the things that I do giving me ideas. Most of my most creative ideas I'm not good enough at scripting and animating to carry out.

Formerly known as mwmike | I'm moderately active on last.fm | Before you post, read these. Please.

BBS Signature
crushy
crushy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-08-15 17:53:18 Reply

At 8/15/08 05:26 PM, Toast wrote: Flash
At 8/15/08 05:10 PM, crushy wrote: Motivation

I'd say for animation, my inspiration varies a lot, however it tends to be music most often. When I hear music, ideas immediately spring to mind, usually corresponding to the genre of the song. With music, you can define an entire animation or sequential storyline due to the fact that there are so many characteristics. For example; you can get the speed/tempo, mood and drama all from a part of a song.

The fact that you grow up watching movies and playing games that almost rely on music to enhance the experience of the storyline allows you to be able to link certain experiences and events with specific types of music, therefore your mind thinks back to these experiences and pieces together information much faster.

Other than music, I would say it's just browsing the web, hoping to find something unique and interesting to see, and then getting inspired from that.

BBS Signature
Depredation
Depredation
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-08-15 18:34:27 Reply

At 8/15/08 05:53 PM, crushy wrote: I'd say for animation, my inspiration varies a lot, however it tends to be music most often. When I hear music, ideas immediately spring to mind, usually corresponding to the genre of the song. With music, you can define an entire animation or sequential storyline due to the fact that there are so many characteristics. For example; you can get the speed/tempo, mood and drama all from a part of a song.

Yeah, music helps me alot too. I can't remember who, but someone linked me to menomenas evil bee, that video had me inspired for ages. Good sound direction is all it takes to make or break a game, so listening to music is always good.

AS3

AS3 isn't too different from AS2 if you use it in the same ways. I'm not using document classes or anything yet, because i can be just as functional doing it in as3, but in the as2 way(in the doc). It's not as big a leap as most people believe.

Nostalgia

At 8/15/08 05:27 PM, Mogly wrote: Yeah.. I'm with Toast. It may be true that everyone has there own 'golden age' to reminicse about... and for me it was what Toast's calling 'The Inglor times'. This is when I was most into Newgrounds, or atleast this forum. That's when this place was a little community to me. I have drifted away over the past year or two. I feel part of the reason for me drifting away is getting busy, but also loosing the ability to sit and read. I found something interesting yesterday..

It was great with inglor and denvish about, they knew what they were doing and you could always rely on them. Not that anyone here is bad, but it's certainly different with out neg, inglor and denvish about :(. The old regs (not me) need to have a get together, online or otherwise, it would be a nostalgiafest ;P.

BBS Signature
funkycaveman
funkycaveman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-08-15 18:40:54 Reply

It was great with inglor and denvish about, they knew what they were doing and you could always rely on them. Not that anyone here is bad, but it's certainly different with out neg, inglor and denvish about :(. The old regs (not me) need to have a get together, online or otherwise, it would be a nostalgiafest ;P.

i tried as3 but i could add as to MC so i gave up cos i didnt know where to start any help, as3 is faster and better i believe? but there is less tuts and info compared with as2

ChillyCheese
ChillyCheese
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-08-15 18:49:26 Reply

Flash Motivation

Sometimes it just pops out of no where and I feel like animating. But most of the times it's not like that and I'll have to force myself to animate.

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-08-15 19:18:26 Reply

Bleh we talk about inspiration too much here.

How about where do you all get your perspiration from?

BoMToons
BoMToons
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-08-15 19:25:52 Reply

Shut Down the Reg Lounge

I love this place, but the comment about the flash forum being more helpful back in the day got me thinking. I used to make tons of posts helping people, but now all I do is come check this lounge and spam it up with the rest of you then crawl back into my damp cave.

Maybe it would be more beneficial to the flash forum as a whole if this dump were shut down.

Just throwing that out there : (
Josh-B
Josh-B
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-08-15 19:26:04 Reply

At 8/15/08 07:18 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: How about where do you all get your perspiration from?

My pits. Sometimes my forehead but not as much. Lots of perspiration in this 90 degree weather.

:U

Toast
Toast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-08-15 19:26:22 Reply

At 8/15/08 07:18 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: Bleh we talk about inspiration too much here.

well the subject is probably raised a lot but I still don't really know how other programmers get their motivation. the only people who talk about inspiration are artists :c . as I said I can't work on flash unless I have graphics that are ready to use. What are your thoughts about it Glaiel?

BBS Signature
Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-08-15 19:30:09 Reply

At 8/15/08 07:26 PM, Toast wrote:
At 8/15/08 07:18 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: Bleh we talk about inspiration too much here.
well the subject is probably raised a lot but I still don't really know how other programmers get their motivation. the only people who talk about inspiration are artists :c . as I said I can't work on flash unless I have graphics that are ready to use. What are your thoughts about it Glaiel?

I can work fine without art I just make placeholders. Course the results aren't always pretty

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge