New Topic Respond to this Topic
NoNameProphet
NoNameProphet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Overpopulation - (Need4School) 2006-09-26 09:19:16 Reply

Yeah, need answers for this for my Adult Ed geography class.
Thanks.

First some basic info for the data (so she knows Im not making answers up or somethin' and knows the data isn't from one group)

You can also pick a choice that best suits your answer, and then write comments; if none suit your thoughts then write your own thing, and if a pre-made choice fits perfectly, just use that.

Income:
Education Level:

1) Is Overpopulation a Problem?
a) Not at all! There's still global warming, terrorism, racism, world hunger, war, and cancer to deal with first. Must save the humans!
b) Yes, but technology will save us in time, easy, so it's not too big a deal.
c) Yes! It will be the end of us all!
d) Babymaking a problem? No way! It's what God wants!!
e) We can just terraform Mars. No biggie.
f) Other (please specify)

2) Visit the site http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/
What is your reaction?
a) Wow, freaks.
b) Interesting.
c) I've been there before...
d) I've seen them on that "my daughter joined a suicide cult" episode on Jerry Springer!
e) Other

3) Do you consider yourself Environmentally Friendly/Conscious, or would like to be?
a) Yes
b) No
c) Other (?)

4) Have you considered reducing you child production because of Overpopulation or this Site (if you read into it enough anyway)?
a) Yes I've considered it, but I've thought of that before. I've been aware of the issue.
b) I never realized what an issue it was, Yes I considered it
c) (answer a plus) ...and I think I will reduce or eliminate my baby-making.
d) (answer b plus) ...and I think I will reduce or eliminate my baby-making.
e) Blasphemy! No!
f) Other

5) Overpopulation is a threat to global biodiversity, and following that, a threat to all life on the planet. If you consider yourself Environmentally Friendly (3a), and don't wish to deal with your child production (4e), how do you explain that hypocrisy in your beliefs? Does it bother you, or do you deep down realize that you don't care as much as you'd want people to believe, and you say you care for the environment just to be trendy?
a) It's true, I'm a hyprocritical intellectual-wannabe trend-whore. Shh.
b) The overpopulation problem is exhaggerated. Despite the immense amount of garbage each human life will create, by recycling and paying my taxes I'm doing everything I need to.
c) I said before I didn't really care.
d) Other

6) China Industrializing Is:
a) Ecological Doom
b) Whatever
c) More market/research competition and capitalistically good prices!
d) Another theft of more hardworking (north?) Americans jobs, money, and livelyhood.
e) Yay! Fewer commies and more USAs!
f) Other

7) What drastic measures would you support to cure the problem?
a) Monetary incentives for low-size families.
b) Strict birth control laws like China did.
c) Biological/Nuclear warfare. :D
d) Elimination of All Humans.
e) None! The president knows I deserve FREEDOM!
f) Other

8) "Let's say we had a bad one, and all the plants and animals died, and the earth was clicking hot for a hundred thousand years. Life would survive somewhere, under the soil, or perhaps frozen in Arctic ice. And after all those years, when the planet was no longer inhospitable, life would again spread over the planet", "The planet has survived everything in its time. It will certainly survive us" (Michael Crichton-Jurassic Park[Novel]).
Is the planet in danger, or just us?
a) Just because he made a movie doesn't make him right. Life is in danger.
b) Only human life is in danger.
c) Everythings OK.
d) As I said before, Maybe the planet will die, but we are invincible. (at least with space travel)
e) Other

9) Pollution from Overpopulation shows a future of "weedy" species (dandilions, pidgeons, seagulls, rats, cockroaches, ect.). Is such an undiverse environment worth environmental apathy, or does it make you want to care more? Is the possibiliy of genetically-engineered-to-toughen birdlife-for-the-sake-of-birdwatchers make it all right? (Hahaha)
a) Wee! Mechanical/Super seagulls!
b) Aww, life would be bland. We've gotta do something...
c) Survival of the fittest, baby.
d) Other

10) How do you feel about the use of genetic engineering on humans for future survival, or on economically friendly crops and animals (The Cows, Chickens, Fishies, ect.)?
a) We're playing God. And we all know there's just one true God!! Ooo fishies.
b) I'm just worried we'll fuck it up and our creations will kill us somehow.
c) Knowledge is power and Technology is the excersize of this power. Lets go for it.
d) Maybe we should make our world naturally hospitable rather than changing DNA.
e) Other

NoNameProphet
NoNameProphet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Overpopulation - (Need4School) 2006-09-26 09:47:52 Reply

Oh also if you could do one more thing... please rate this survey between 1-10.
You don't need to think too hard on the number. Just throw something out :P.
Any other comments about the survey in general would be nice.
That way if she says anything could have been done more 'professionally' I can say that the old ways are too dull to really stimulate the mind, and my kind of surveys engage the participant more... something to defend it so she doesn't take marks like a #$*(^%@(!

IllustriousPotentate
IllustriousPotentate
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Overpopulation - (Need4School) 2006-09-26 09:51:17 Reply

At 9/26/06 09:19 AM, NoNameProphet wrote: Age:

Sex:

Male

Income:

$20-$40K

Education Level:

Some college

Yes, and famines, desertification, etc. are all symptoms of this nature uses to try to correct the problem.

e) Other

While the site is obviously geared to be shocking and controversial, I acknowledge that the goal is to reduce global population, even if the methods are a bit extreme.

3) Do you consider yourself Environmentally Friendly/Conscious, or would like to be?
c) Other (?)

I consider myself environmentally conscious, but not friendly. I'm aware of the state of the environment, and will make minor changes that help the environment, but I don't go out of the way to do so.

4) Have you considered reducing you child production because of Overpopulation or this Site (if you read into it enough anyway)?
f) Other

No, having never liked children or babies, I never planned on having any anyway. I cannot envision myself being a parent—I have too short of a temper, and I believe that I would make a poor parent.

5) Overpopulation is a threat to global biodiversity, and following that, a threat to all life on the planet. If you consider yourself Environmentally Friendly (3a), and don't wish to deal with your child production (4e), how do you explain that hypocrisy in your beliefs? Does it bother you, or do you deep down realize that you don't care as much as you'd want people to believe, and you say you care for the environment just to be trendy?
d) Other

N/A Not Applicable

f) Other

Inevitable.

f) Other

I am totally against any government interjecting itself into the private lives of individuals and couples and into nurseries. The federal government finds a way to screw up everything it does now, the last thing we need it to do is to act as a parent to children.

8) Is the planet in danger, or just us?
e) Other

Life on earth is always at peril. There were several times last century when a button press could have resulted in the radioactive sanitation of the entire earth. Moreover, the earth itself is always at danger of being torn asunder by a large enough space object, such as a comet or asteroid. I sincerely doubt that we will ever have enough resources to colonize another planet, let alone, terraform one.

9) Pollution from Overpopulation shows a future of "weedy" species (dandilions, pidgeons, seagulls, rats, cockroaches, ect.). Is such an undiverse environment worth environmental apathy, or does it make you want to care more? Is the possibiliy of genetically-engineered-to-toughen birdlife-for-the-sake-of-birdwatchers make it all right?
d) other

I disagree with that future, and cite the passenger pigeon as an example. In a short time, over the course of a couple of centuries, passenger pigeons went from numbering in the billions—so many that flocks flying overhead would block out the sun—to extinct. There's always the possiblity for extinction or significant reduction in population, no matter how hardy or how many members of a specie are.

10) How do you feel about the use of genetic engineering on humans for future survival, or on economically friendly crops and animals (The Cows, Chickens, Fishies, ect.)?
e) Other

Genetic engineering is nothing more than natural evolution and adaptation sped up. Humans have been doing lowtech genetic engineering for centuries through selective breeding.

So often times it happens, that we live our lives in chains, and we never even know we had the key...

BBS Signature
jlwelch
jlwelch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Overpopulation - (Need4School) 2006-09-26 10:02:07 Reply

At 9/26/06 09:19 AM, NoNameProphet wrote: Yeah, need answers for this for my Adult Ed geography class.
Thanks.

First some basic info for the data (so she knows Im not making answers up or somethin' and knows the data isn't from one group)

You can also pick a choice that best suits your answer, and then write comments; if none suit your thoughts then write your own thing, and if a pre-made choice fits perfectly, just use that.

Sex: M
Income: None (student)
Education Level: Junior in Purdue University

Overpopulation is only a problem because people are not ready to accept what needs to be done to stop it. There is only so much biomatter on Earth and at the current population rate (even if it stops accelerating) we will reach a point when Earth can no longer sustain us. What needs to be done is to screen people for IQ, mental health, physical qualities, etc... and have the state issue birth licenses to only so many. In this manner, the government can firmly fix the population at a reasonable number, and only those with the right to be born will be given a social security number and rights.

What is your reaction?

What about it?

I am no tree hugger, only concerned about our society's infrastructure and stability.

see above answer

See above answer

They have every right to industrialize so what is the big deal.

Birth licensing and withholding of citizenship and rights from illegitimate children to force the law through.

8) "Let's say we had a bad one, and all the plants and animals died, and the earth was clicking hot for a hundred thousand years. Life would survive somewhere, under the soil, or perhaps frozen in Arctic ice. And after all those years, when the planet was no longer inhospitable, life would again spread over the planet", "The planet has survived everything in its time. It will certainly survive us" (Michael Crichton-Jurassic Park[Novel]).

Just us, I could care less about the planet, so long as it is able to continue serving us.

9) Pollution from Overpopulation shows a future of "weedy" species (dandilions, pidgeons, seagulls, rats, cockroaches, ect.). Is such an undiverse environment worth environmental apathy, or does it make you want to care more? Is the possibiliy of genetically-engineered-to-toughen birdlife-for-the-sake-of-birdwatchers make it all right? (Hahaha)

I don't care

C go for it.

IllustriousPotentate
IllustriousPotentate
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Overpopulation - (Need4School) 2006-09-26 10:07:46 Reply

At 9/26/06 09:47 AM, NoNameProphet wrote: Oh also if you could do one more thing... please rate this survey between 1-10.
You don't need to think too hard on the number. Just throw something out :P.
Any other comments about the survey in general would be nice.
That way if she says anything could have been done more 'professionally' I can say that the old ways are too dull to really stimulate the mind, and my kind of surveys engage the participant more...

I would give it a five out of ten. While I can understand your point in trying to make it less dull, many (most?) of the answers provided are worded in such a way to portray the most extreme viewpoints, which may alienate people with moderate opinions, and can also throw off your results.

For example:

a) Ecological Doom
b) Whatever
c) More market/research competition and capitalistically good prices!
d) Another theft of more hardworking (north?) Americans jobs, money, and livelyhood.
e) Yay! Fewer commies and more USAs!

; f) Other

Could better be written as follows:

China industrializing is:
a) detremental to the environment
b) detremental to the environment, but does have benefits
c) detremental to the environment, but the benefits outweigh the effects to the environment
d) neither detremental or beneficial to the environment
e) beneficial to the environment
f) other

By doing so, you directly measure the degree at which people believe industrialization of China has on the environment—the central point—rather than focusing on other aspects of industrialization that are of little relevance to the topic of overpopulation's effects on the environment.

So often times it happens, that we live our lives in chains, and we never even know we had the key...

BBS Signature
goozebump
goozebump
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Overpopulation - (Need4School) 2006-09-26 10:12:10 Reply

At 9/26/06 09:19 AM, NoNameProphet wrote: 1) Is Overpopulation a Problem?

:What needs to be done is to screen people for IQ, mental health, physical qualities, etc... and have the state issue birth licenses to only so many. In this manner, the government can firmly fix the population at a reasonable number, and only those with the right to be born will be given a social security number and rights.

Wow are u a a republican ebcuase i would not like the govt. telling me if or if i cannot have a child. Damn man you are cold that idea is worse than slavery, "u dont have the right to be born." Give me a break. Let me guess you are an athhest becuase of what i know we are all here for reason. Stop trying to play God. Hell if u let the govt. decide if u can have kids why not have them decide everything else? Like what to eat and when to go to bed. We can all move to North Korea!

BBS Signature
SkyCube
SkyCube
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Overpopulation - (Need4School) 2006-09-26 10:18:12 Reply

At 9/26/06 10:02 AM, jlwelch wrote: the government can firmly fix the population at a reasonable number, and only those with the right to be born will be given a social security number and rights.

What? I thought you were a Christian, jlwelch? Do you honestly think Jesus would approve of taking people's rights away simply because they were born to the wrong parents? What happened to all men are born equal?

Plus, surely a person with no social security or rights would find it very difficult to find a job, and would thus be nothing but a burdon on the state?

IllustriousPotentate
IllustriousPotentate
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Overpopulation - (Need4School) 2006-09-26 10:22:58 Reply

At 9/26/06 10:12 AM, goozebump wrote: Wow are u a a republican ebcuase i would not like the govt. telling me if or if i cannot have a child. Damn man you are cold that idea is worse than slavery, "u dont have the right to be born." Give me a break. Let me guess you are an athhest becuase of what i know we are all here for reason. Stop trying to play God. Hell if u let the govt. decide if u can have kids why not have them decide everything else? Like what to eat and when to go to bed. We can all move to North Korea!

And people wonder why I think think the 26th Amendment ought to be repealed. It's scary that people like you are legally allowed to vote.

BBS Signature
NoNameProphet
NoNameProphet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Overpopulation - (Need4School) 2006-09-26 12:11:21 Reply

At 9/26/06 10:07 AM, IllustriousPotentate wrote: I would give it a five out of ten. While I can understand your point in trying to make it less dull, many (most?) of the answers provided are worded in such a way to portray the most extreme viewpoints, which may alienate people with moderate opinions, and can also throw off your results.
By doing so, you directly measure the degree at which people believe industrialization of China has on the environment—the central point—rather than focusing on other aspects of industrialization that are of little relevance to the topic of overpopulation's effects on the environment.

I expect people to write their own answers, and use the examples to be aware of other opinions. The way you wrote it I'd fall asleep.

Anyway, industrialization has MUCH to do with Overpopulation. China is obviously highly populated, and if that many people all got around in cars, produced and consumed as much waste as industrialized nations.. it would be an Immense planetary crisis. Unbeknownst to the majority of people, the Industrialization of China is perhaps even the biggest problem in the minds of the true think-tanks on the issue.

The idea of NOT progressing is counter-culture and impedes rich from making money, which might be why you aren't aware of this.. but anyone who knows much about this issue WILL know of that problem with China.

NoNameProphet
NoNameProphet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Overpopulation - (Need4School) 2006-09-26 12:13:57 Reply

Also, I need like 10 full data sets. Anyone know anywhere else that would have a varied populace of people who know a varied amount about the subject matter..... on the internet that i can use a message board to poll at?... would be helpful. I've gotten 2 here so far.

Demosthenez
Demosthenez
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Overpopulation - (Need4School) 2006-09-26 12:17:48 Reply

At 9/26/06 10:12 AM, goozebump wrote: Like what to eat and when to go to bed. We can all move to North Korea!

Awesome!!! Unfounded slippery slope arguments!!

I agree with jwelch, it would probably be the best way to handle ovepopulation but it would have to be done by an impartial board not associated with the government in any form. Like it would be some medical board composed of professionals who have years of experience.

I also have another way to handle it that is quite as. . . evil, some would say. What would be done is some arbitrary number of people who would be allowed to be living in a country would be set. This would reflect enviromental capacity of that land and such. Lets say for America that would be 200 million people. Lets say our population levels out to a cool 200 million and we allow sparse immigration. If you want to have a child, you put yourself on a list and wait for the someone to die so the population levels out below 200 million and a body is needed to replace it. Seems pretty fair to me.

But we all have to realize, none of these steps will be taken until some gigantic problem steps up. Humanity has a real bad problem of not doing anything about potential problems until it is to late.

Demosthenez
Demosthenez
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Overpopulation - (Need4School) 2006-09-26 12:20:26 Reply

Oh, and Ill do this a bit later I just gotta do some stuff now so gimme a break.

MortifiedPenguins
MortifiedPenguins
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Overpopulation - (Need4School) 2006-09-26 14:36:03 Reply

At 9/26/06 09:19 AM, NoNameProphet wrote:

Sex:

Male

Income:

Education Level:

High School

a) Not at all! There's still global warming, terrorism, racism, world hunger, war, and cancer to deal with first. Must save the humans!

Human Beings is what's needed.

What is your reaction?
d) I've seen them on that "my daughter joined a suicide cult" episode on Jerry Springer!

a) Yes

If buying free range chicken is friendly, then I'm friendly.

e) Blasphemy! No!

It's an abridgement of my personal freedoms.

b) The overpopulation problem is exhaggerated. Despite the immense amount of garbage each human life will create, by recycling and paying my taxes I'm doing everything I need to.

Apathy for the win.

I'm an American, I care about Americans.

e) None! The president knows I deserve FREEDOM!

The abridgement of liberyt is never the answer.

Is the planet in danger, or just us?

The world has taken multiple Ice Ages, comets and volcanoes. It will survive us.

c) Survival of the fittest, baby.

It was either this or B. I like both of them equally.

d) Maybe we should make our world naturally hospitable rather than changing DNA.

Just a thought. Maybe Earth should be made better and to a greater degree before we play God with something we don't understand.

Between the idea And the reality
Between the motion And the act, Falls the Shadow
An argument in Logic

BBS Signature
Demosthenez
Demosthenez
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Overpopulation - (Need4School) 2006-09-26 14:54:56 Reply

At 9/26/06 09:19 AM, NoNameProphet wrote: Age: 19
Sex: Male
Income: None (Student)
Education Level: Still in college

Yes, it is a problem but not for our generation. Our children or our childrens children will fell its effects.

What is your reaction?

a) Wow, freaks.

a) Yes

a) Yes I've considered it, but I've thought of that before. I've been aware of the issue.

d) Other

If there are no rules against having a child and I am with someone I want to have a child with I dont see why I should voluntarily take away my rights. It may hypothetically be for the greater good to not have children but I look out for myself first and humanity second and if there are no laws against doing something perfectly natural I will not constrain myself.

f) Other

A problem. It is all to be seen as to whether Chinas industrialization will destroy the planet or force new research in sustainable fuels.

b) Strict birth control laws like China did.

8) Is the planet in danger, or just us?

Then again, that is the only kind of life I particularly give a hell about.

d) Other

The enviroment is worth caring about but not enough to mess with the genes of species we have now. We dont know what affect that would have on the enviroment and for all we know it could worsen our situatin even more. If we you mess with one gene and cause one species to become so perfect it outcompetes everything else in the enviroment, it could cause the enviroment tremendous harm.

c) Knowledge is power and Technology is the excersize of this power. Lets go for it.