New Topic Respond to this Topic
BlisteringFreakachuu
BlisteringFreakachuu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Race and intelligence Sep. 26th, 2006 @ 01:36 AM Reply

Okay, say some scientists decide to do a fun study on race and intelligence. They gather 4 mothers, 1 European American, 1 Mexican-American, 1 African American, and 1 Asian American.

Somehow they destroy all factors such as economic background, different social treatment, and these people are subject to the same TV shows and books... They start from private tutors, who are somehow completely equal, teach them all the exact same thing at the exact same pace, from age 6 to age 17.

Now say they were given a 500 question IQ test(at 17), who do you think would do the best and why?

ImmoralLibertarian
ImmoralLibertarian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Writer
Response to Race and intelligence Sep. 26th, 2006 @ 01:38 AM Reply

At 9/26/06 01:36 AM, BlisteringFreakachuu wrote: Now say they were given a 500 question IQ test(at 17), who do you think would do the best and why?

Whoever was the smartest.

Which would have nothing to do with race.

"Men have had the vanity to pretend that the whole creation was made for them, while in reality the whole creation does not suspect their existence." - Camille

BlisteringFreakachuu
BlisteringFreakachuu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Race and intelligence Sep. 26th, 2006 @ 01:39 AM Reply

At 9/26/06 01:38 AM, o-r-i-g-i-n-a-l wrote:
At 9/26/06 01:36 AM, BlisteringFreakachuu wrote: Now say they were given a 500 question IQ test(at 17), who do you think would do the best and why?
Whoever was the smartest.

Which would have nothing to do with race.

But they're all being given the exact same information, how could one be the "Smartest"?

ImmoralLibertarian
ImmoralLibertarian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Writer
Response to Race and intelligence Sep. 26th, 2006 @ 01:42 AM Reply

At 9/26/06 01:39 AM, BlisteringFreakachuu wrote: But they're all being given the exact same information, how could one be the "Smartest"?

Easy, different children absorb information at different rates.

Intelligence is determined by several factors, genes are one of them.

"Men have had the vanity to pretend that the whole creation was made for them, while in reality the whole creation does not suspect their existence." - Camille

fli
fli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Race and intelligence Sep. 26th, 2006 @ 01:42 AM Reply

Race wouldn't be a factor... they all have the same brain capacity.
But culture would be one... since some cultures value work over education.

BlisteringFreakachuu
BlisteringFreakachuu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Race and intelligence Sep. 26th, 2006 @ 01:46 AM Reply

At 9/26/06 01:42 AM, fli wrote: Race wouldn't be a factor... they all have the same brain capacity.

No, they don't have the same average brain capacity. Africoids have the least, according to studies, and either Caucasoids or Mongoloids have the most.

Also, these children are given the exact same information in the exact same amount of time.
__
"A recent University of Chicago study linked 2 sets of genetic variation (alleles) to brain size, race and spurts in human evolution. In particular, these genetic variations –arguably responsible for greater intelligence-were relatively common in Europe and Asia, but markedly less common in sub-Saharan Africa." -Wikipedia

goozebump
goozebump
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Race and intelligence Sep. 26th, 2006 @ 02:37 AM Reply

At 9/26/06 01:46 AM, BlisteringFreakachuu wrote:
No, they don't have the same average brain capacity. Africoids have the least, according to studies, and either Caucasoids or Mongoloids have the most.

Source? I would like to see you build the pyramids of egypt.

BBS Signature
fli
fli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Race and intelligence Sep. 26th, 2006 @ 03:22 AM Reply

Having less brains doesn't make a person dumb-- Brain size isn't a determinate factor of intelligence....

Other wise I would be one of the smartes guys around.
And seeing this isn't true... (as much as I would like that...)

Some people function with only half a brain and do extremly well despite this fact.

Tervos
Tervos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Race and intelligence Sep. 26th, 2006 @ 03:33 AM Reply

exactly, just look at our military of the usa.

BlisteringFreakachuu
BlisteringFreakachuu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Race and intelligence Sep. 26th, 2006 @ 03:42 AM Reply

NOTE: I am not advocating that any one race is dumber than the other. Personally, I think it's a matter of enviroment, as confirmed by a test done in which African American children were adopted by white families, with the gap between IQ scores were no larger than 6 points. I honestly believe that race is virtually not a factor. But I was taught in regard to debate to see both sides of a subject, and I wanted to know what you guys thought.

Also, on the skull capacity thing:
"Two additional points need to be made. Rushton and Ankney (1995) suggest that cranial capacity estimates for Mongoloid-, Caucasoid-, and Negroid-Americans are 1416, 1380, and 1359 cm3, respectively, indicating larger differences than Rushton's (1992) values given above for these groups (1464, 1468, 1449cm3)." - Canadian Journal of Experimental Psychology

ReiperX
ReiperX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Race and intelligence Sep. 26th, 2006 @ 05:41 AM Reply

It would depend on the person as well.

Different people learn differently, I learn best by doing things, others learn from audio or visual. I'm not sure all of what causes certain learning styles to be more effective than others. Some people would learn more than others too, this is where their personality comes into play, as well as other factors such as ADHD, a nervous twitch, larger fingers, need for glasses ect.

Makaio
Makaio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Race and intelligence Sep. 26th, 2006 @ 08:56 AM Reply

At 9/26/06 01:42 AM, fli wrote: Race wouldn't be a factor... they all have the same brain capacity.

i dont believe that.

Some cultures are prone to be better at certain tasks then others, why wouldn one race be on the average more intelligent?

Which race this is i don't know, some might say asains but then again there's so many of them it's not surprising they make breakthroughs in many fields.

NoNameProphet
NoNameProphet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Race and intelligence Sep. 26th, 2006 @ 09:24 AM Reply

IQ studies have shown Whites at 104 average, blacks 87, and the others I forgot but remember to be average or higher.

But knowledge over this issue will never change anything since the media controls information and what "sounds racist" will never be dealt with properly. So I'm not going digging for this stuff.

NoNameProphet
NoNameProphet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Race and intelligence Sep. 26th, 2006 @ 09:26 AM Reply

but yes, race has shown to cause other trends in abilities.
It isn't a ridiculous notion.

BlisteringFreakachuu
BlisteringFreakachuu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Race and intelligence Sep. 26th, 2006 @ 09:29 AM Reply

At 9/26/06 09:24 AM, NoNameProphet wrote: IQ studies have shown Whites at 104 average, blacks 87, and the others I forgot but remember to be average or higher.

But knowledge over this issue will never change anything since the media controls information and what "sounds racist" will never be dealt with properly. So I'm not going digging for this stuff.

Enviroment, do you speak it?

NoNameProphet
NoNameProphet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Race and intelligence Sep. 26th, 2006 @ 09:30 AM Reply

Damn, sorry for triple post, won't happen again. Just didn't want to get into this, really.
But also, Blacks commit a 5000 murders annually in the States, and according to their population size this number SHOULD be around 750. The White numbers corresponded to their large population proportion. This data was taken from the FBIs database if you want to look it up yourself.

NoNameProphet
NoNameProphet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Race and intelligence Sep. 26th, 2006 @ 09:32 AM Reply

At 9/26/06 09:29 AM, BlisteringFreakachuu wrote:
At 9/26/06 09:24 AM, NoNameProphet wrote: IQ studies have shown Whites at 104 average, blacks 87, and the others I forgot but remember to be average or higher.

Enviroment, do you speak it?

The numbers used weren't 5 or 10 people, lol. Environment issues should negate themselves at higher sample rates, and if not, then CLEARLY something needs to be done about the environment which IS causing them to be borderline retarded and making stupid decisions which thrust their murder rates up disproportionately.

MortifiedPenguins
MortifiedPenguins
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Race and intelligence Sep. 26th, 2006 @ 02:44 PM Reply

It's completely arbitrary to the persons exact brain and culture.

Some people will excell in hands on activities(Carpentry) but not English or Math.

Between the idea And the reality
Between the motion And the act, Falls the Shadow
An argument in Logic

BBS Signature
tawc
tawc
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Race and intelligence Sep. 26th, 2006 @ 02:52 PM Reply

they should of got one European, one mexican, one asian and one african. Instead of all american, because blatently there all gonna be fuckin stupid

fli
fli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Race and intelligence Sep. 26th, 2006 @ 02:58 PM Reply

At 9/26/06 08:56 AM, Makaio wrote: Some cultures are prone to be better at certain tasks then others, why wouldn one race be on the average more intelligent?

Because intelligence isn't expressed through racial characteristics, which is pretty much independent from the cognative process.

I'm Mexican. Yet, I know with great fluency English and Spanish. Not only that, I've studied dialects of Old English, Middle English, Latin, and I am some what profecient in Italian and German. I also know a few phrases in a dialect of Vietnamese.

I'm very educated, I've read more books in my life than all grandparents and my parents put together.

This makes me sorta special since Mexicans, as do other Latinos, prefer hard work over education. Just because one sees a Mexican following crops doesn't mean that he or she is there because they're dumb... it's a cultural thing.

Being born to a culture has its advantages and disadvantages too.

Being White has its advantages too in America. It's the most afluent group in every step of the political process. One is more likely to be born into some wealth if one one White, meaning that the family wouldn't need to worry so much about paying for an education, or finding a good public school near enough from a home that is cheap to rent or own.

As I've said before, some cultures value education over hard labor. For many Asians, we know the math stereotype. Although, there is some truth into this, but not in the way we expected. For many Asians such as the Vietnamese (who I grew up with all my life,) they want to study. Families strive their best so that their children will do good in school, often having way to high expectations. Why? Because they value education more highly than labor.

And what else...
Intelligence comes in variety. Because one isn't proficient in one thing doesn't mean that they're dumb, but maybe because they're better at another thing. I own a Jesuiet education from SCU. And the few Blacks I meet, they were so smart in Biblical knowlege. So they were naturally inclined to do better in Literature since... basically... they've been practicing this all the time when they do Bible studies. But a great number of them were horrible in math. This isn't because they're Black, but their culture valued Biblical knowlege over the scientific.

Well anyways... to conclude stuff because I need to get ready for school:
Intelligence isn't a racial thing... it's a cultural thing.

stevenherman
stevenherman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to Race and intelligence Sep. 26th, 2006 @ 04:04 PM Reply

The gap in intelligence between blacks and whites in Africa is wider than the American racial gap, yet blacks were not enslaved in Africa and colonialism, that began in the 19th century, ended after WW II.

Extensive economic investment in black Africa (I.E. Pissing taxpayers money away) has not been accompanied by economic growth, nor prevented Africa from reverting to pretechnological conditions (mud huts etc.).

OccamÕs razor, paring away multiple explanations of the economic failure of similar populations, implies that oppression is not a significant cause of the intelligence gap in the United States.

The major passage of time makes reference to slavery progressively less and less plausible. Slavery in the United states ended almost a hundred and fifty years ago, yet the attainment gap, while narrower than decades ago, has continued, while other mistreated populations, conspicuously Jews and Asians, have come a whole lot farther in a lot less time less time.

The Asian comparison is particularly telling since Asians, like blacks, are visually indentifiable, cannot be a factor distinguishing blacks from more successful (intelligent) ethic groups.

In a nutshell, the darker the skin color of a populous, the more backward and poverty stricken it will be.

Africa, Haiti, South America, etcetera.

You get the picture.

Have a nice day.

Source: Why race matters

P.S. Beaner doth protest too much, no?

Makaio
Makaio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Race and intelligence Sep. 26th, 2006 @ 04:08 PM Reply

At 9/26/06 02:58 PM, fli wrote:
At 9/26/06 08:56 AM, Makaio wrote: Some cultures are prone to be better at certain tasks then others, why wouldn one race be on the average more intelligent?
Because intelligence isn't expressed through racial characteristics, which is pretty much independent from the cognative process.

I'm Mexican. Yet, I know with great fluency English and Spanish. Not only that, I've studied dialects of Old English, Middle English, Latin, and I am some what profecient in Italian and German. I also know a few phrases in a dialect of Vietnamese.

You are above average, no i don't mean above average for a Mexican i mean above average period, I'm just saying that it is possible that one race has more above average people than another.
Intelligence is an inherited trait that varies from person to person, just like all the visible traits like height, weight(most of the time), skin color, build, etc so i see no reason why one particular race could average higher intelligence.

I don't mean the amount of knowledge, i mean the ability to acquire the knowledge that is available and then apply it effectively, so the smartest race on earth could quite possibly be a certain group of aboriginals that live in some out of the way rain forest.

BlisteringFreakachuu
BlisteringFreakachuu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Race and intelligence Sep. 26th, 2006 @ 04:56 PM Reply

At 9/26/06 09:30 AM, NoNameProphet wrote: Damn, sorry for triple post, won't happen again. Just didn't want to get into this, really.
But also, Blacks commit a 5000 murders annually in the States, and according to their population size this number SHOULD be around 750. The White numbers corresponded to their large population proportion. This data was taken from the FBIs database if you want to look it up yourself.

But there are studies done that show that enviroment is a huge factor. I'm pretty sure that the majority of people of European descent in Afghanistan don't have the IQ of the people of European descent in Germany,.

For example, the average IQ in the Philippines is 86, where as in a more advanced place, Hong Kong, it's 107, while both these groups are Mongoloids.

Der-Ubermensch
Der-Ubermensch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Race and intelligence Sep. 26th, 2006 @ 05:03 PM Reply

The most intelligent race is the dominant one of course. It's sort of plain to see. ( No further comment.)