00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

aniMATING just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Programming Regs Lounge

708,645 Views | 15,737 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2014-02-08 21:22:49

At 2/3/14 04:42 PM, Diki wrote: I see your LOLCODE hello world and raise you Brainfuck's:

I know how it works (for the most part) and I still can't wrap my head around that syntax.

Bad Code bad lol

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2014-02-17 21:32:49

Just learned that pixel is short for "picture element!" How did I never know this? Learn something every day

BBS Signature

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2014-02-18 10:02:55

Slightly relevant: there's something that amuses me about the word 'texel'. Not sure what.

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2014-03-07 00:23:25

Hard drive failure...never a fun thing. But always a good excuse to get more storage!

BBS Signature

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2014-03-16 04:08:35

Hello guys. I just wanted to drop by and say hi basically :P
I've been playing a game SWTOR on a professional level in the last 2 years (well, not on pro level for 2 years, but I've been obsessed with it for 2 years), thats why I am not active here anymore.
aI've been doing some sites, for some money here and there, nothing big tho. I am working on a small project now for me at the moment, if I manage to finish it, I'll post the link here.

That's all folks

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2014-05-18 11:25:13

It's been a while since I've posted here, a lot of things have happened since last time, but right now I have found some time to work on some older projects of mine. Currently I'm making an option and GUI system for a game called snake fight, it's a remake of the first game I submitted to newgrounds that I've done in C++ using Qt.
Right now I have managed to get it working on all major pc platforms and Android, I'm pretty sure it works on iOS as well, but I haven't tried yet. The game adapts to the resolution of the platform it runs on, so hopefully I can support as many devices as possible.

Here's a demo video of the game in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh2Yl6hliqY , will post more as I progress.
Let me know if you want a build, I'd be happy to send one to anyone.

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2014-07-13 10:59:39

I made a thing!

I've been working on a CLI program that binds input from XInput-enabled devices (such as Xbox 360 controllers) to keyboard and mouse macros. Basically it's an alternative to Xpadder, which I find to be unintuitive, barely customisable, and overpriced. I am, of course, using my EasyXInput framework to handle the XInput side of things. I might add support for non-XInput-enabled devices at some point.

I'll probably add a GUI to it eventually but that's not a priority right now (plus I hate coding GUIs). The program is current in a proof-of-concept phase, so it's not actually what this post is about. I've just finished a large chunk of the API that will be used for the CLI portion of the program (i.e. the API that converts text commands to functions). After playing around with different designs, this is what I've decided on:

#include "cli.hpp"

bool alive = true;

void cmd_echo(cli::util::String name, cli::util::StringVectorP data) {
    std::cout << cli::util::Join(data) << std::endl;
}

void cmd_quit(cli::util::String name, cli::util::StringVectorP data) {
    alive = false;
}

int main(int argc, char** argv) {
    cli::cmd::Add("echo", cmd_echo);
    cli::cmd::Add("quit", cmd_quit);

while (alive) {
        if (cli::cmd::Call(cli::util::GetInput()) == cli::cmd::error) {
            std::cout << "Unknown command: " << cli::cmd::GetPreviousInputArgsP()->at(0) << std::endl;
        }
    }
}

All that does is allow you to type out "echo hello world", which will output the text after the echo command, and shutdown the program with the quit command. The cli::util::StringVectorP parameter is just a pointer to a vector of strings, which represent the arguments given to the command (delimited by a space, by default), which is why the echo command has to join them back into a string.

A more comprehensive example can be found here, which has more commands, such as the ability to define variables which can have their values output using echo.

I'm striving for something that is intuitive and very easy to use, and I think I've done that.

The API is still in its infancy and is missing a lot of features (all features I've shown here are finished), so I won't be posting the source code just yet, but when it's finished (or near finished) I'll be throwing it onto GitHub.

That's all for now. When I finish the program that I'm making this API for, which has the working title XtoKey, I'll also be throwing it onto GitHub and releasing it for free.

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2014-07-13 18:56:10

At 7/13/14 10:59 AM, Diki wrote: I made a thing!

Genuinely curious: why? What is the use of turning XInput into keyboard/mouse macros and essentially controlling a computer, I assume?

BBS Signature

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2014-07-14 03:56:46

At 7/13/14 06:56 PM, coln wrote:
At 7/13/14 10:59 AM, Diki wrote: I made a thing!
Genuinely curious: why? What is the use of turning XInput into keyboard/mouse macros and essentially controlling a computer, I assume?

Lots of games that are controlled primarily with a keyboard don't have gamepad support or simply never can have gamepad support (such as Flash and HTML5 games). Having the gamepad simulate mouse and keyboard input allows you to use it for pretty much anything.

Simulating mouse movement isn't super accurate, so it's not that great for games that require a mouse (e.g. shooters), but I sometimes like using the gamepad in place of my mouse while just browsing around as I can use it pretty much from anywhere in my room (i.e. not be forced to be sitting directly in front of my computer).

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2014-07-14 14:17:12

It's been a while, and development has been slow but steady. Now the game has evolved into something more complex. I managed to implement all the customizations and the android version has several new control schemes, you can now use buttons and the accelerometer. Now all that remains for a beta is a proper tutorial.

Here's a few screenshots that showcase the menu, customizations and gameplay: firstsecondthird.

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2014-07-14 22:32:46

Is anyone here a programmer interested in helping make a game?

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2014-07-14 23:51:01

At 7/14/14 10:32 PM, gonzored1 wrote: Is anyone here a programmer interested in helping make a game?

You'll be more likely to find help if you give more information in the thread you posted.

Generally speaking, most people won't work for free, so if you're offering compensation you should mention that. It would also be a good idea to give some information regarding what style of game it is (single-player, multi-player, 2D, 3D, shooter, RPG, et cetera) so people will know how much work will be involved. One of the most important things is to explain what your role in project will be so people can know that they won't be doing everything on their own.

I personally cannot help you (I'm not a game developer) but doing what I described will certainly make it more likely that you will find someone, but there is no guarantee.

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2014-09-06 11:33:42

Ahhhh! I've been writing in Python so long that when I go back to C (or any other language), I forget to type semi-colons! Oh the pains....

BBS Signature

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2014-09-06 11:52:07

I enjoy semicolons and braces. One of the projects I work on is in Coffeescript, and it annoys the hell out of me.

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2014-09-06 21:45:05

At 9/6/14 11:52 AM, WoogieNoogie wrote: I enjoy semicolons and braces. One of the projects I work on is in Coffeescript, and it annoys the hell out of me.

Don't get me wrong, I like them too. I have just created a habit of not using them since I've been on a Python kick recently. I haven't played with Coffeescript yet though. What is the purpose of it (genuinely asking)?

BBS Signature

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2014-09-06 22:22:03

At 9/6/14 09:45 PM, coln wrote: What is the purpose of it (genuinely asking)?

It actually just compiles down to Javascript, so the point of it is to speed up writing code. The time it takes me to basically remember the correct syntax of...no syntax...kinda slows me down. The writing part is pretty quick, but if I have to go back through and debug code, especially someone else's, it gets a little hard.

I'm sure if I were to switch to 100% using it, it would work better, but if I were to switch how I write Javascript, I would just go to Dart.

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2014-09-15 18:13:25

Anyone familiar with cluster computing or slave/master computing? I have a few old computers lying around (they aren't too terribly powerful) and I wanted to get some use out of them. I've been looking around and the best solution I've come up with so far is Synergy, but that's just a KM switch, so they're still 3 separate computers working independently.

I don't necessarily need to do heaving computations on it, but I would like to combine their efforts to turn 3 crappy computers into 1 decent 3-core computer. I know from research that this is quite difficult with such a small scale and not really worth it unless I want to render video or figure out genetic folding.

Any thoughts?

BBS Signature

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2014-09-18 13:21:23

At 5/20/14 09:49 AM, Shakyjake wrote:
At 2/8/14 04:39 PM, Captain-Slugworth wrote:
To continue the metaphor, I'm going all-in.

Welcome to HodorScript

If you still want to be able to create something with the silliness of the above languages: ArnoldC http://lhartikk.github.io/ArnoldC/

Urp, smilies are broken for me :'(

Hops...Bops...Nops...Sops...

BBS Signature