New Topic Respond to this Topic
egg82
egg82
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Oct. 14th, 2012 @ 04:49 PM Reply

At 10/14/12 03:38 PM, Dean wrote: Any idea how small a company they actually are? I do like the idea of being with a smaller company though. Seems like there's more chance of you being treated as a person and not as a customer ID number.

Hmm... I'm not sure, actually.
Well, they're big enough to have a professionally-made website. That's about all I know. haha.

We were spoken to by the university careers guy last week and he was telling us that just having a degree isn't enough. He said that he'd been speaking to some of the bigger companies in the area and they'd only really be interested in taking people on who contribute to open source software and write technical blogs amongst other things. You know, things that show that you're more dedicated to learning than just attending class.

I record myself coding stuffs and put most of my programs on github, but that's about it. I might want to consider a tech blog, but I dunno what i'd put on it.

I can't say that I contribute to open source or write a technical blog. They're both maybe things that I should look into. Oh god, there's me adding more stuff to my list of stuff to do.

It's okay, you can find a way to fit that into your daily life. For example, I record myself programming my everyday stuff, add some music, and speed it up until it's around 5 minutes (or two song lengths)
I also just put whatever i'm working on or have completed on github. It isn't too difficult, and it only takes a few minutes to do so.

I could think of a way to make a tech blog more automatic as well. For example, you could just write what you learned at the end of the day. It'd serve a triple-purpose because at the end of it you'd have a tech blog, have what you learned even more ingrained into your memory, and with any luck someone'll stumble across something they like.

I never actually thought of that. If I was to find work in my town, I could just walk and then after a while spend some money on a car of my own. If I had to move to the city (Edinburgh, most likely) I'd probably just have to rely on public transport for a while or something. I don't know. It's not something I've given much though.

hmm... I suppose if you needed to you could always try to borrow the car back for a little bit.

Bike license is something I'd like to get eventually. My dads a biker and is really into his custom choppers and stuff. I always thought it would be cool to go on a bike trip around Europe.

you should do that when you get out of your university ^.^

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Oct. 15th, 2012 @ 08:10 PM Reply

Decided to re-write the program that's used for generating the NG Gamerscore Leaderboard updates. The one current program written by ShittyKitty works good, but it's written with .NET or something so it wont run on Linux/Mac without some additional software. Thought I'd try and implement a Java version so that I'm not having to run it through Wine.

I've encountered a problem that's going to make me look into using threads with Java. Basically, the UI freezes up while the loop to fetch data from the Xbox site is happening and because of that, the progress bar doesn't update. Progress bar isn't important, but without it, it could potentially feel like the program has crashed because it takes a minute or two to scan 70 odd webpages and pick out the relevant information. It's only me who uses this program so it's no big deal but still, gives me an opportunity to look into threads with Java, which I'm sure will be beneficial.

Other than that, I have the basic functionality working. Just a couple more things I need to implement and it should be all done. It has been a productive few hours. Shame it wasn't spent doing my actual coursework :P

I just need it to sort the users based on their score, assign their new rank and sort some bugs. It sometimes times-out when fetching the web pages and I'm not handling that properly. Currently it just crashes if that happens.

Programming Regs Lounge

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Oct. 15th, 2012 @ 09:35 PM Reply

At 10/15/12 08:10 PM, Dean wrote: Decided to re-write the program that's used for generating the NG Gamerscore Leaderboard updates.

Ermagerd. Nergrounds.
(sorry, had to do it :P)

looks like you're going to have a lot of fun with threading. I'll learn about it at some point, just not now.

otherwise, looks good! Try not to have too much fun while making it, or it'll never get finished xD

BBS Signature
Thegluestickman
Thegluestickman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Oct. 15th, 2012 @ 10:41 PM Reply

At 10/15/12 08:10 PM, Dean wrote: Decided to re-write the program that's used for generating the NG Gamerscore Leaderboard updates. The one current program written by ShittyKitty works good, but it's written with .NET or something so it wont run on Linux/Mac without some additional software. Thought I'd try and implement a Java version so that I'm not having to run it through Wine.

You should post it to GitHub or SourceForge, if you don't mind making it free and open source. I'm sure many newgrounders (myself included) would enjoy seeing it in action.

I promise I won't laugh
Too hard :p

To protect the world from devastation.
kidd25 is the best Newgrounder ever.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Oct. 16th, 2012 @ 07:33 AM Reply

At 10/15/12 09:35 PM, egg82 wrote: Ermagerd. Nergrounds.
(sorry, had to do it :P)

I am completely lost. Oh wait, I misspelled Newgrounds. Shit. May Tom have mercy on my soul. I'd probably have never noticed that.

At 10/15/12 10:41 PM, Thegluestickman wrote: I promise I won't laugh
Too hard :p

Wait, why would you be laughing at me? :(

I don't mind putting it on GitHub when it's done, not that it's all that exciting or useful to anyone other than the guy who has to post the leaderboard updates.

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Oct. 16th, 2012 @ 10:47 AM Reply

At 10/16/12 07:33 AM, Dean wrote: I am completely lost. Oh wait, I misspelled Newgrounds. Shit. May Tom have mercy on my soul. I'd probably have never noticed that.

yeah, it's a meme going around. It started off with "Ermagerd. Gersbermps. Mah ferverite berks." or some line like that.
Thought it fit fairly well :P

Wait, why would you be laughing at me? :(

Because you're the hero Newgrounds deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll laugh at you. Because you can take it. Because you're not our hero. You're a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A dark knight.

I don't mind putting it on GitHub when it's done, not that it's all that exciting or useful to anyone other than the guy who has to post the leaderboard updates.

remember security!

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Oct. 16th, 2012 @ 12:44 PM Reply

At 10/16/12 10:47 AM, egg82 wrote: remember security!

In what sense?

I think I'll save threads for some other time. Even thinking of how I'd implement threads in this situation is confusing me, never mind the actual implementation itself. I have worked with threads in C before, but that would have been about a year ago. Although I guess it's just a case of creating a new thread to run that method in so that it's not using the same thread as the GUI. Probably much easier said than done.

Question: Do we have a thread for posting about what we're currently working on? I thought we used to but I've not seen one around recently. Only reason I ask is because I love looking through a thread on Facepunch where people post about what they're working on, so I thought it would be cool if there was one here where you guys can post what you're working on. I just like to see what people are doing.

BBS Signature
kiwi-kiwi
kiwi-kiwi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Oct. 16th, 2012 @ 02:20 PM Reply

At 10/16/12 12:44 PM, Dean wrote:
At 10/16/12 10:47 AM, egg82 wrote: remember security!
In what sense?
Probably much easier said than done.

No, it's as easy as it sounds

Question: Do we have a thread for posting about what we're currently working on?

Yes we do, but it's been some years since I last saw an update there. Here's a link though

egg82
egg82
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Oct. 16th, 2012 @ 02:23 PM Reply

At 10/16/12 12:44 PM, Dean wrote: In what sense?

I see quite a few potential security holes in those "Add user", "Edit user" and "Delete user" buttons.
Make sure the person pushing those buttons is the person who's supposed to be doing the button-pushing.

Unless this is just a local list... ?

If it's open-source then anyone can download, change, and re-compile it.

Question: Do we have a thread for posting about what we're currently working on? I thought we used to but I've not seen one around recently. Only reason I ask is because I love looking through a thread on Facepunch where people post about what they're working on, so I thought it would be cool if there was one here where you guys can post what you're working on. I just like to see what people are doing.

I don't know if we do or not, but I don't think so. I thought we just post that in the regs lounge... ? o.o

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Oct. 16th, 2012 @ 02:34 PM Reply

At 10/16/12 02:23 PM, egg82 wrote: I see quite a few potential security holes in those "Add user", "Edit user" and "Delete user" buttons.
Make sure the person pushing those buttons is the person who's supposed to be doing the button-pushing.

Yea, data is stored locally in CSV files. So you load a CSV file which then populates the first 4 columns of the table. From there you can add/edit/delete users, run the update (which populates the last 2 columns) and save the result as a new CSV file.

I still have to implement the "Get NG Post" button, which will layout the information in the way that you see it posted in the Leaderboard thread and then copy it to clipboard so that it can be pasted into a BBS post.

The program doesn't log into any online services or anything, so there's no usernames or passwords in the code either. Basically, giving someone access to the full source code wouldn't be harmful.

I don't know if we do or not, but I don't think so. I thought we just post that in the regs lounge... ? o.o

Ah right. I just thought it might be nice to have a thread dedicated to speaking about what you guys are working on. I guess we can do that in this thread like you say, but this thread is also for off-topic discussion too. Would anyone else feel like a thread dedicated exclusively to what we're currently working on is worth while? Given the slow pace of this forum, I can't imagine it would be a particularly lively thread anyway. I'm probably just better of lurking Facepunch for that kind of thing.

BBS Signature
kiwi-kiwi
kiwi-kiwi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Oct. 16th, 2012 @ 02:40 PM Reply

At 10/16/12 02:34 PM, Dean wrote: Ah right. I just thought it might be nice to have a thread dedicated to speaking about what you guys are working on.

Look at my last post

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Oct. 16th, 2012 @ 02:44 PM Reply

At 10/16/12 02:40 PM, kiwi-kiwi wrote: Look at my last post

Whoops, sorry about that. Managed to overlook your post somehow. Ah well, it looks like there isn't much demand for a thread like that then, given how slow paced it was even back then.

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Oct. 16th, 2012 @ 02:49 PM Reply

At 10/16/12 02:34 PM, Dean wrote: Yea, data is stored locally in CSV files. So you load a CSV file which then populates the first 4 columns of the table. From there you can add/edit/delete users, run the update (which populates the last 2 columns) and save the result as a new CSV file.

ohh, that makes more sense :P
so what's the point of this app, anyway? Why a CSV file?

I still have to implement the "Get NG Post" button, which will layout the information in the way that you see it posted in the Leaderboard thread and then copy it to clipboard so that it can be pasted into a BBS post.

oh, I think that answered my question. lol

The program doesn't log into any online services or anything, so there's no usernames or passwords in the code either. Basically, giving someone access to the full source code wouldn't be harmful.

yepp, hardcoded passwords are not your friend.

Ah right. I just thought it might be nice to have a thread dedicated to speaking about what you guys are working on. I guess we can do that in this thread like you say, but this thread is also for off-topic discussion too. Would anyone else feel like a thread dedicated exclusively to what we're currently working on is worth while? Given the slow pace of this forum, I can't imagine it would be a particularly lively thread anyway. I'm probably just better of lurking Facepunch for that kind of thing.

kiwi-kiwi gave us this thread, which was made in '09 and just kinda stopped. Looks like you were right about that, at least. There's not enough activity in this forum to warrent an entire thread dedicated to projects.

Though I suppose someone could give it another shot. Wouldn't hurt, anyway :P

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Oct. 16th, 2012 @ 03:13 PM Reply

At 10/16/12 02:49 PM, egg82 wrote: so what's the point of this app, anyway? Why a CSV file?

It's just way easier to automate the process than it is to do by hand. There are currently over 70 users on the leaderboard, and to go to each of their Xbox profile pages and get their gamerscore would be a pain in the ass. On top of that, I'd then have to manually sort them in order of points and calculate how much gamerscore they've earned since the previous week. That's actually how Jawdyn used to do the updates in the early days.

I'm using CSV files because that's how the current version which was written by ShittyKitty is implemented. I could have used JSON or XML files instead but that would mean having to write the initial file from scratch (which would be time consuming) or write a script to convert the currently used CSV file to be in one of the previously mentioned formats. Basically, it's just easier for me to stick with the CSV files and they're pretty simple to deal with anyway.

BBS Signature
WoogieNoogie
WoogieNoogie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Oct. 16th, 2012 @ 07:00 PM Reply

I think that CSV files will always exist for programmers. It's best just to accept it :P

kiwi-kiwi
kiwi-kiwi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Oct. 20th, 2012 @ 08:40 AM Reply

If anyone here is passionate about computer graphics, you might be interested in this.
Memory being a huge problem in most games, I'm feeling very compelled to try and see if it can improve anything on mobile devices (e.g. port it to the Android NDK). If anyone is interested I'll post my results in a few days.

NinoGrounds
NinoGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Oct. 22nd, 2012 @ 09:27 PM Reply

I'm making a visually comparing images algo in php.

NinoGrounds
NinoGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Diki
Diki
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Oct. 26th, 2012 @ 02:03 AM Reply

I was about to say that guy is a moron for thinking we use US English in Canada, but then I noticed the footnote. :)

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Oct. 27th, 2012 @ 11:46 AM Reply

There's another piece of coursework out the way. I think if anyone were to be riding a train controlled by my controller software, they'd be pretty safe. I hope anyway haha. Can't say I'm a fan of using the SPARK programming language though. I've now discovered that high integrity or safety critical software development isn't particularly something I'd like to write for a living.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 08:58 AM Reply

Just got an email to tell me that one of the courses I picked for next semester (Internet Engineering) isn't running any more so I have to switch to something else. When I was picking the courses earlier in the year I really wanted to pick Computer Games Programming but decided that Internet Engineering sounded like it would be the more beneficial course. Now that it's not running, looks like I'll be signing up for Computer Games Programming after all! yay

BBS Signature
Jon-86
Jon-86
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 12:42 PM Reply

liljim, I will reply to you properly when I get time. I'm not an ignorant cock just busy. I always like to supplement my replies with useful links when I know they exist and I will do that. No part-timer nonsense from me!

PHP Main :: C++ Main :: Java Main :: Vorsprung durch Technik
irc.freenode.net #ngprogramming

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Oct. 29th, 2012 @ 10:47 PM Reply

At 10/28/12 08:58 AM, Dean wrote: looks like I'll be signing up for Computer Games Programming after all! yay

making games is a hell of a lot more fun than building websites :P

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Oct. 30th, 2012 @ 07:28 AM Reply

At 10/29/12 10:47 PM, egg82 wrote: making games is a hell of a lot more fun than building websites :P

I'm just hoping it's not an extremely basic course that focuses mainly on theory. I sort of have the feeling that it might be. One of the lecturers who'll be taking the course is definitely more of a theoretical type. I was actually a little surprised to see him listed as the lecturer for this course. I have him now for my Mobile Communications and Programming course and he's spent about 80% of the time talking about the theory behind how mobile devices connect and can travel between networks. Stuff like that. I expected it to be more of an Android programming course. The only programming we've done so far is extremely basic stuff. The tutorials on the Android site cover more.

It does say that C++ is a pre-requisite skill for this course. I've not really used C++ since we had to use it with OpenGL to code up some animations that contained articulations. That was a while back. Still, seeing as they have C++ as a pre-requisite, I'm hopeful that means there will be a good deal of actual programming involved.

Oh, just realised that 35% of the grade for that course comes from coursework, so that's a good sign too I guess.

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Oct. 30th, 2012 @ 08:01 PM Reply

At 10/30/12 07:28 AM, Dean wrote: I'm just hoping it's not an extremely basic course that focuses mainly on theory. I sort of have the feeling that it might be.

I do love me some theory, but I always need to put theory into practice while i'm learning and immediately after learning to retain the most information. It's slower, but I remember almost everything and have something to show for it on top of that.

BBS Signature
pirateplatypus
pirateplatypus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Nov. 1st, 2012 @ 06:28 PM Reply

At 10/26/12 02:03 AM, Diki wrote: I was about to say that guy is a moron for thinking we use US English in Canada, but then I noticed the footnote. :)

Come on now Diki, you too can sound like an American in four easy steps. Before I outline the steps I should let you know that my career has mainly been working in call centres supporting America, Canada, and the UK. These steps are based on the differences I've observed between Canadians and Americans speaking.

Step one:
Rip out all but two of your teeth.

Step two:
Start sleeping with your cousins.

Step three:
Repeatedly smash head with frying pan.

Step four:
Remember, saying "please" and "thank you" is for pussies.

Congratulations, you have completed the transformation from Cannuck to 'Murican.

"If loving Python is crazy then I don't want to be sane." -Diki

egg82
egg82
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Nov. 1st, 2012 @ 08:23 PM Reply

At 11/1/12 06:28 PM, pirateplatypus wrote: Congratulations, you have completed the transformation from Cannuck to 'Murican.

that made me laugh :D

BBS Signature
Diki
Diki
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Nov. 2nd, 2012 @ 04:00 PM Reply

At 11/1/12 06:28 PM, pirateplatypus wrote: Before I outline the steps I should let you know that my career has mainly been working in call centres supporting America, Canada, and the UK. These steps are based on the differences I've observed between Canadians and Americans speaking.

My sister used to work in a call centre, and she told me that she had a lot of Americans whom spoke to her were happy that she is able "to speak American". What a classy bunch.
Also that sounds like you were frequently speaking to Texans and Floridians. I don't know what it is about those two states but damn a lot of people from there are stupid.

At 11/1/12 06:28 PM, pirateplatypus wrote: Congratulations, you have completed the transformation from Cannuck to 'Murican.

'Murrrrrica.

P.S.
Canuck has only one "n" in it. ;)

egg82
egg82
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Nov. 2nd, 2012 @ 05:02 PM Reply

At 11/2/12 04:00 PM, Diki wrote: My sister used to work in a call centre, and she told me that she had a lot of Americans whom spoke to her were happy that she is able "to speak American". What a classy bunch.

oh, man, I hate those call centers th'don't speak 'murrican. I cunnevur understand what th'r say'n.

'Murrrrrica.

WOO! U.S.A.! Yeah, we're an unstoppable force of true freedom! Only three letters i'll ever need to know!
Red white and blue all the way, woooooo!!!
(okay, i'm done now)

BBS Signature
Jessii
Jessii
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Movie Buff
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Nov. 2nd, 2012 @ 07:54 PM Reply

At 11/2/12 04:00 PM, Diki wrote: Also that sounds like you were frequently speaking to Texans and Floridians. I don't know what it is about those two states but damn a lot of people from there are stupid.

Correction: those are mountain people from Tennessee, West Virginia and/or North Carolina.

Being that I'm from the States, I refer to it as American English. You just have to speak to the right people. There are people here that were born and raised here that I can't actually speak English. I can't tell you how many times I want to strangle people because they speak in ebonics or some other version of broken English.

But then again I can say the same for a lot of Brits (other countries that speak English and other countries that have multiple dialects of their language too) that I know too, not just Americans.