New Topic Respond to this Topic
Diki
Diki
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-09-26 18:02:13 Reply

At 9/26/12 03:42 PM, NinoGrounds wrote: I'm interested. I don't think money was the issue. I mean how much can 24" LED monitors cost? I assume they're TN matrices because if they were IPS you'd note that as well. Maybe $500 together?

I was able to get mine on sale, so they were $200.00 each after tax. Regular price would have been $260.00 each after tax. This is the monitor I bought.
You're right though; they're not IPS.

At 9/26/12 05:33 PM, NinoGrounds wrote: Diki - I finally implemented your script, and it doesn't work for me. Try hovering over an article really fast.

Ah crap, you're right. That's happening because the mouseout event is stopping the animation before it ever begins. Off the top of my head I can't think of a solution; I'll play around with the code and see what I can some up with.

NinoGrounds
NinoGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-09-26 19:03:07 Reply

At 9/26/12 06:02 PM, Diki wrote: I was able to get mine on sale, so they were $200.00 each after tax. Regular price would have been $260.00 each after tax. This is the monitor I bought.
You're right though; they're not IPS.

When I finish the job you're helping me with, I am going to buy HD 7850 (300 bucks in my country) and 99% this Fujitsu IPS 27" monitor. Costs from $700 (kinnda hard to get it), and regularly $900.

Ah crap, you're right. That's happening because the mouseout event is stopping the animation before it ever begins. Off the top of my head I can't think of a solution; I'll play around with the code and see what I can some up with.

Thank you for your patronage.

Jessii
Jessii
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Movie Buff
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-09-26 21:21:55 Reply

At 9/24/12 10:09 PM, Jetdrive wrote: You think that's fun? Try a truck that nearly ran me off the road because he didn't check his blind spots! O.o

Been there, done that! I-95 in Connecticut is insane and I think it's still deemed the most dangerous stretch of road in the US.

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-09-27 13:48:05 Reply

Do any of you guys use the Sublime Text editor? Saw someone using it and I thought it had a really nice interface so downloaded it and give it a shot. It's pretty nice but I've not really used it long enough to comment on how well it works as an editor but I'm assuming it's pretty good given that they charge $60 for a license.

I admit that it was the pretty colours and sleek interface that suckered me in but I really liked my brief experience with it.

It's free to download and there's apparently an unlimited "evaluation period" in which you get to check it out. I'm assuming it will just constantly pop up with little message boxes reminding you to purchase a license every now and then.

I'm not quite willing to splash out that kind of money on a text editor, but have any of you guys used it? I'm surprised I haven't run into it earlier.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-09-27 13:59:30 Reply

At 9/27/12 01:48 PM, Dean wrote: Do any of you guys use the Sublime Text editor? Saw someone using it and I thought it had a really nice interface so downloaded it and give it a shot. It's pretty nice but I've not really used it long enough to comment on how well it works as an editor but I'm assuming it's pretty good given that they charge $60 for a license.

never heard of it, but I checked it out and it looks pretty cool. Lot of features that are nice, but i've been going without them for so long that it doesn't really matter to me at all. That, and some look like they'd be more trouble than they're worth, such as the one that basically does a "find and replace" when you change a variable name to change all of the uses of that variable.

I admit that it was the pretty colours and sleek interface that suckered me in but I really liked my brief experience with it.

Sleek interface doesn't really matter to me much, but many pretty colors are a must :3

It's free to download and there's apparently an unlimited "evaluation period" in which you get to check it out. I'm assuming it will just constantly pop up with little message boxes reminding you to purchase a license every now and then.

That's much better than a 30-day trial. I might actually give this thing a shot sometime, though honestly I haven't yet found an editor/IDE for code hinting than FD and better plugin support than Notepad++ and Geany.

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-09-28 00:05:58 Reply

I wonder how difficult it would be to make an automatic blind MySQL injector, or to find a pre-made one.
I want to make sure I didn't miss any sanitization on input before I release anything.

one for inserting javascript alerts into every field it finds might be a good idea, too...

Anyone got any ideas?

BBS Signature
Momo-the-Monkey
Momo-the-Monkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Musician
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-10-09 21:48:35 Reply

Now I know this is about AS3, but it's sort of not. I'm curious, why didn't they include operator overloading? I'll admit, it makes life easier when I can just go "class + class" boom, but I'm sure there's a perfectly happy reason why it's not in AS3 (or even any ECMA-based scripts for that matter).

Hello, from the past!
[ PHP: Main ]

BBS Signature
Diki
Diki
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-10-10 02:03:31 Reply

I'd imagine it's because operator overloading is not a part of the ECMA spec.
Personally I've never found myself needing operator overloading in any ECMA-based language.

NinoGrounds
NinoGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-10-10 08:10:38 Reply

9 days ago, I came to Rijeka, where I will be studying computer science for the next 5 years. I am posting this from classroom. We're learning formatting text in Word. Gross.

Last time we were learning how to send mail via squirell mail. God, help me.

Trunks
Trunks
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-10-10 10:32:38 Reply

At 9/26/12 09:21 PM, Jessii wrote:
At 9/24/12 10:09 PM, Jetdrive wrote: You think that's fun? Try a truck that nearly ran me off the road because he didn't check his blind spots! O.o
Been there, done that! I-95 in Connecticut is insane and I think it's still deemed the most dangerous stretch of road in the US.

Try 95 in MA... :C

Web developer, software engineer, musician, all-around nerd.

WoogieNoogie
WoogieNoogie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-10-10 21:42:53 Reply

At 10/10/12 08:10 AM, NinoGrounds wrote: We're learning formatting text in Word.
Last time we were learning how to send mail via squirell mail.

Godspeed.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-10-11 08:52:44 Reply

At 10/10/12 09:42 PM, WoogieNoogie wrote: Godspeed.

You face a mighty mountain. Go forth and prosper young obi-wan.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-10-13 12:11:56 Reply

I thought this was pretty cool and decided I'd share it with you guys. I was encrypting a bitmap using the same cipher (AES-128) but using different modes (ECB and CBC) and comparing the results by viewing the encrypted bitmap.

First off, an encrypted bitmap can't be viewed because the first 54 bytes containing the header information get encrypted too and as a result, produce an invalid header. Easy way around that is to just write a script that takes the first 54 bytes of the original image and then use that to overwrite the first 54 bytes of the encrypted image which will produce a viewable bitmap. Then if you wanted to decrypt the image you'd obviously have to swap the header back to how it originally was.

Anyway, I just thought it was interesting to see the difference in the encryption modes. Bellow is a 3 part image. On top is the original bitmap, in the middle is the original bitmap encrypted with ECB mode and on the bottom is the original bitmap encrypted using CBC mode. I was quite surprised to see how much structural information is left behind with EBC mode, but I'm new to this.

I just thought looking at encrypted images was pretty cool.

Programming Regs Lounge

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-10-13 12:25:20 Reply

At 10/13/12 12:11 PM, Dean wrote: I just thought looking at encrypted images was pretty cool.

yeah, there's also ECB tux floating around, as well.

ECB is a weak encryption mode used in the AES-standard (Rijndael) block cipher encryption algorithm.
Basically, don't use it.

personally, I use NOFB mode.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-10-13 13:10:24 Reply

At 10/13/12 12:25 PM, egg82 wrote: Basically, don't use it.

Yea, I kind of gathered that after this little experiment :P

That was actually a part of some coursework that I submitted earlier in the week. Well, a very small part of it. I just found that to be the most interesting bit.

Got some other coursework due in the not too distant future, two weeks time I think. I've not looked into it too much yet, but I'm pretty certain it involves using the SPARK subset of Ada to write some train controllers or something. Basically, safety critical software. It wont be anything too complex but I'm not really a fan of SPARK based on my previous experience with it.

Still not really looked into my dissertation project all that much yet either. Audio streaming between two Android devices over ad-hoc Wi-Fi. I thought I'd already mentioned it in this thread but I had a look through the last few pages and apparently I didn't. Hopefully my interest in it will pick up at some point. I've been lurking in one of the threads over at Facepunch.com called What You're Working On and I see all these cool projects that make me want to try out and learn about some of that stuff for myself, but it's hard to balance coursework with my own personal interests.

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-10-13 13:34:02 Reply

At 10/13/12 01:10 PM, Dean wrote: Yea, I kind of gathered that after this little experiment :P

haha, yepp. If you're still wanting to use ECB, they made a better mode for it (something like OECB or something like that?)

That was actually a part of some coursework that I submitted earlier in the week. Well, a very small part of it. I just found that to be the most interesting bit.

so are you interested in security, or is your coursework just that boring? O.o

Got some other coursework due in the not too distant future, two weeks time I think. I've not looked into it too much yet, but I'm pretty certain it involves using the SPARK subset of Ada to write some train controllers or something. Basically, safety critical software. It wont be anything too complex but I'm not really a fan of SPARK based on my previous experience with it.

much more impressive than my coursework, but much less fun. We're writing a reverse-polish notation calculator for Java, and our teacher issued a challenge. She basically said "beat my calculator. The only prerequisite is that it has to work"
I think i'll have a lot of fun with that.
C++ is some kind of rolladex with array sort functions. I'm skipping the pre-made bubble sort and writing my own.

She's pretty cool about letting us do whatever we want. As long as it hits the base criteria, she's fine with whatever else we decide to include. Since I like to challenge myself, I usually wind up with something way out there.

Though I think I can safely say you're in the advanced programming classes? I just started college, so I need to get through the basic classes before I can move on to cooler stuff 3:

Still not really looked into my dissertation project all that much yet either. Audio streaming between two Android devices over ad-hoc Wi-Fi. I thought I'd already mentioned it in this thread but I had a look through the last few pages and apparently I didn't. Hopefully my interest in it will pick up at some point. I've been lurking in one of the threads over at Facepunch.com called What You're Working On and I see all these cool projects that make me want to try out and learn about some of that stuff for myself, but it's hard to balance coursework with my own personal interests.

speak of the devil, I was actually just looking that up for a game i'm currently writing in AS3. I'm talking VOIP, not some crappy audio stream class.
looks like the biggest problem you'll face is just remembering to flush the data through the socket every time you get a small audio packet ready to go, rather than waiting for the OS to figure out what it's supposed to do.

I agree, it's really difficult when you're at school full-time. I reduced the amount of classes i'm taking at once because I know once my personal interests get in the way, i'll never get anything else done without some very strict planning :/

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-10-13 14:02:44 Reply

At 10/13/12 01:34 PM, egg82 wrote: so are you interested in security, or is your coursework just that boring? O.o

I just like learning new stuff really. Network Security sounded like one of the more interesting courses for me to take this semester. So far, it really hasn't been anything too difficult (or interesting, I must admit). It's mainly theory though. I prefer to do more hands on stuff, which made the coursework a little more exciting but even so, it was nothing that interested me a great deal.

Though I think I can safely say you're in the advanced programming classes? I just started college, so I need to get through the basic classes before I can move on to cooler stuff 3:

I'm in my final year of university now (fourth year). In the first year we were introduced to Java and basically shown how to go about familiarising yourself with a language. Prior to that, the only programming experience I had was highschool stuff with VB6. Then in the years that followed we've been asked to do more complex things but never explicitly shown how to do it. I've definitely come a long way in those 4 years, but I still don't feel as confident with programming related stuff as I'd like to.

I'd say my programming ability is about about that of the average person in my class. Maybe a little above average because I get people asking me for help now and then. But something I've always regretted is not making programming more of a hobby. It's always been something I'd do in school and then never continue in my free time. I've been trying to change that recently but like I said before, I struggle to find the time to learn the stuff related to my courses and then expand my knowledge of what interests me in my free time. I guess I do have the time, but after a long day of being stuck in uni, usually the last thing I want to do when I get home is more learning.

I think part of the problem is that I see too many things that make me think "right, I'm going to learn more about that" and then I struggle to pick one of them and work on it. I end up doing little bits of everything at the same time and it just ends up in a mess. Recently, I have been trying to push myself to stop being lazy and spend more of my free time being productive.

looks like the biggest problem you'll face is just remembering to flush the data through the socket every time you get a small audio packet ready to go, rather than waiting for the OS to figure out what it's supposed to do.

I think one of the more challenging aspects of my project might be the ad-hoc networking aspect. I'm pretty sure that Android doesn't support ad-hoc Wi-Fi out of the box. You'd have to root the device first, which is still something that I've not done to my phone, just to enable ad-hoc networking. I've just not used my phone enough to benefit from rooting it. Android development is one of the many things that I've been wanting to look at in more detail though. That's partly why I chose a dissertation topic that was Android related.

I agree, it's really difficult when you're at school full-time. I reduced the amount of classes i'm taking at once because I know once my personal interests get in the way, i'll never get anything else done without some very strict planning :/

We don't have the option of reducing the number of classes. We have to do a fixed number of classes each semester. Usually four. Up until now we had no choice in what those classes were either, but they were all related to computer science. The idea being that you get a flavour of everything computer science related that the lecturers have to offer and then in the final year you get to pick some of the more advanced classes that expand upon previous knowledge.

Some of my friends on the course are really into programming though. They do a lot of it in their spare time and have been doing so for a long time. They were already way ahead of the class when we started university. Most of us were essentially learning from scratch while they already had a pretty vast knowledge of the stuff. I'd love to have their knowledge and I know I could have it, it's just a case of dedicating more of my free time to this. I guess I just need to find projects that interest me and then work away at them, leaning new stuff along the way.

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-10-13 14:45:05 Reply

At 10/13/12 02:02 PM, Dean wrote: I just like learning new stuff really. Network Security sounded like one of the more interesting courses for me to take this semester. So far, it really hasn't been anything too difficult (or interesting, I must admit). It's mainly theory though. I prefer to do more hands on stuff, which made the coursework a little more exciting but even so, it was nothing that interested me a great deal.

security is mostly theory, yeah. Problem is you usually don't have anyone attempting to get into a system, so you can't test the system as well as it should be tested.

I learned security because, like every little kid into computers, I wanted to "learn how to hack into systems" - I eventually found a way to turn that into something good, and i'm now what you'd call a "white-hat hacker", or a penetration tester. I don't pretend to be an expert, but i'm certainly not a beginner :P

one of the many examples of me simply having too much free-time. I realize that it's quite rare for a person to have as much as I do, so I try not to let it go to waste. If I could give time away to someone else, believe me I would.

I'm in my final year of university now (fourth year). In the first year we were introduced to Java and basically shown how to go about familiarising yourself with a language. Prior to that, the only programming experience I had was highschool stuff with VB6. Then in the years that followed we've been asked to do more complex things but never explicitly shown how to do it. I've definitely come a long way in those 4 years, but I still don't feel as confident with programming related stuff as I'd like to.

yeah, i'm way behind you class-wise. I do know quite a bit compared to most of my class, but that doesn't stop me from learning something new every day. Everyone's got different experiences, which means everyone's got something new to teach. There's just so much out there, and you have to know your limits and pace yourself accordingly.

I'd say my programming ability is about about that of the average person in my class. Maybe a little above average because I get people asking me for help now and then. But something I've always regretted is not making programming more of a hobby. It's always been something I'd do in school and then never continue in my free time. I've been trying to change that recently but like I said before, I struggle to find the time to learn the stuff related to my courses and then expand my knowledge of what interests me in my free time. I guess I do have the time, but after a long day of being stuck in uni, usually the last thing I want to do when I get home is more learning.

honestly, I think you should learn the way you do best. That's just my opinion, though.
if you feel like you're just pushing yourself too hard, then stop and take a break. There are many times where i've gone to bed with a huge headache and woken up not remembering anything i've learned.

so, if that means taking some time to chill and watch Fruits Basket (I just started :P) then do so.

I think one of the more challenging aspects of my project might be the ad-hoc networking aspect. I'm pretty sure that Android doesn't support ad-hoc Wi-Fi out of the box. You'd have to root the device first, which is still something that I've not done to my phone, just to enable ad-hoc networking. I've just not used my phone enough to benefit from rooting it. Android development is one of the many things that I've been wanting to look at in more detail though. That's partly why I chose a dissertation topic that was Android related.

I r poor, so I don't actually own anything fancy like an android. I have an iPod now, and that's pretty awesome :D
got it from my friend for my birthday, so the screen's cracked and it's pretty broken all-around, but hey it works ^.^

so yeah, I don't develop for mobile devices, so I don't know their limitations. Seems like a huge drawback, though, to not be able to ad-hoc.
of course, to develop for iOS you need to pay 200 FUCKING DOLLARS, so I suppose there's limitations any way you look at things.

We don't have the option of reducing the number of classes. We have to do a fixed number of classes each semester. Usually four. Up until now we had no choice in what those classes were either, but they were all related to computer science. The idea being that you get a flavour of everything computer science related that the lecturers have to offer and then in the final year you get to pick some of the more advanced classes that expand upon previous knowledge.

when you put it that way it sounds very logical, but I wouldn't be able to do that and expect to maintain a passing grade.
Honestly I don't go for the whole "do this now" attitude .-.

Some of my friends on the course are really into programming though. They do a lot of it in their spare time and have been doing so for a long time. They were already way ahead of the class when we started university. Most of us were essentially learning from scratch while they already had a pretty vast knowledge of the stuff. I'd love to have their knowledge and I know I could have it, it's just a case of dedicating more of my free time to this. I guess I just need to find projects that interest me and then work away at them, leaning new stuff along the way.

yeah, you get 'em in every class. In my case, that's me. It takes a certain kinda person to be a programmers, and we're all a little bit nuts :P
I mean, when you think about it from an outsider's perspective, programming means sitting at a desk staring at a screen all day, pulling your hair out trying to figure out what went wrong and eventually finding out it's a missing apostrophe or something.

The only way to get to their level is to learn. Keep asking them questions, it'll probably drive them nuts but at least you'll learn xD

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-10-13 16:19:31 Reply

At 10/13/12 02:45 PM, egg82 wrote: one of the many examples of me simply having too much free-time. I realize that it's quite rare for a person to have as much as I do, so I try not to let it go to waste. If I could give time away to someone else, believe me I would.

I wouldn't say that I have no free time but on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays I'm out of the house at 7am and don't get back until 6:30pm. It leaves me a little exhausted. The on the days off I have in between I just like to chill and do very little. It's those days that I'm trying to spend being more productive and there's no reason I shouldn't be. It's not like I have to spend the whole day doing work, but even if it's just a few hours, I'll be benefiting from it.

yeah, i'm way behind you class-wise.

Not that it matters though, really. I'm willing to bet that you probably know a good bit more than me when it comes to practical application of knowledge. Classes only teach you so much. Most of it (at least for me) is really only the basics. The idea being that it's enough of a building block to get you started and then you go off and invest your spare time building on what you've been taught. If I went through my entire degree without learning anything other than what they taught me, I'd have wasted 4 years.

There are many times where i've gone to bed with a huge headache and woken up not remembering anything i've learned.

See, I sort of have the opposite problem in a sense. I've mentioned this a few times, but towards the end of the summer I was coding a forum. When I was doing that I got really into it. I'd be tinkering about with it for hours each day. Then when I'd go to bed there was so many ideas rushing through my head that I couldn't sleep because I was thinking of ways to implement this and that or just thinking of what I could do to make things better. If I'm working on something that genuinely interests me, I get really into it.

I r poor, so I don't actually own anything fancy like an android. I have an iPod now, and that's pretty awesome :D
got it from my friend for my birthday, so the screen's cracked and it's pretty broken all-around, but hey it works ^.^

I've not got all that much cash to spare myself. The only reason I ended up with an Android is because my parents wanted to get me something useful last Christmas and they thought a new phone would be a good idea because prior to that, I was always using cheaper phones. Not that it bothered me. I don't use my phone enough to need something so fancy. If it can call and text, it's good enough for me.

of course, to develop for iOS you need to pay 200 FUCKING DOLLARS, so I suppose there's limitations any way you look at things.

Yea, that's quite a lot to ask for. I think Android has a one off fee (and it's nowhere near $200) if you want to publish apps to GooglePlay. Might be wrong there, but I'm pretty sure Android development isn't expensive at all.

when you put it that way it sounds very logical, but I wouldn't be able to do that and expect to maintain a passing grade.
Honestly I don't go for the whole "do this now" attitude .-.

Yea, there have been some classes that I have no interest in what so ever. Primarily those that focused on like theoretical logic and logical proofs. Not to mention some of the maths. Oh, and a class called Interaction Design. That felt like a waste of my time. It was basically about analysing products and stuff. I mean sure, it's useful to some people but I don't think I benefited from that class.

I mean, when you think about it from an outsider's perspective, programming means sitting at a desk staring at a screen all day, pulling your hair out trying to figure out what went wrong and eventually finding out it's a missing apostrophe or something.

I spend a good chunk of my day on a computer and I do enjoy programming and learning new things, I'm just not as fanatical about it as some of those guys are. I sometimes wish I was. I think the main reason for that is that I rarely find myself in a situation where I find myself wanting to write a program to help me complete a task or make something easier for me, where as they seem to have loads of ideas for things that could benefit them. One of my mates is an admin on Wikipedia, so I think he does some contributing to code for that and stuff. He wrote an IRC bot and has done a few other things. As far as I'm concerned, it's all impressive stuff.

The only way to get to their level is to learn. Keep asking them questions, it'll probably drive them nuts but at least you'll learn xD

Hah. The mate I previously mentioned seems to like when I ask questions. He's helped me out a lot and explained things to me that I was struggling to understand. Sometimes he can be a bit too technical though and it goes over my head, but he's taught me a lot.

I just need to find myself something to work on that grabs my interest. That thread on facepunch that I linked to a while back gives me some inspiration. Something a few of those guys seem to work on is terrain generation which, although I have no immediate use for that, interests me and makes me want to learn how it works.

Another thing I want to work on is my web development. I've come a long way with that recently but I'd still like to improve further. Only problem there is that I'd like to experiment with server side languages that aren't PHP. I'd like to have a shot with things like Ruby and Python but the free hosting I use only allows PHP, so I'd need to get my own VPS which I can't really afford to be spending money on each month. Even if I could, I doubt I'd be using it anywhere neat it's full potential. I've got apache running on my desktop, but it's not as fun developing something if other people can't interact with it.

There's also C. I've been meaning to buy The C Programming Language for a while and read through that but it's not the cheapest of books. I'd like to build on my C knowledge and then maybe look into something like C++ and venture into the world of games programming. Just to build something simple and see how well it holds my interest.

As you can see though, it's a real mixture of things I'd like to look into which always leaves me wondering where to start.

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-10-13 17:45:39 Reply

At 10/13/12 04:19 PM, Dean wrote: As you can see though, it's a real mixture of things I'd like to look into which always leaves me wondering where to start.

I have a lot i'd like to say, but unfortunately things just got busy :(

So: Why not do them all? Find a way to combine everything you're learning.
For example: I wanted to learn 3D, sockets, and VOIP in AS3. I'm now making a 3D multiplayer flash game with sound events coming directly from the server. In-game chat will be in there somewhere, later.

as for a VPS, i've been using afterburst for quite some time, and they really are excellent. They used to be fanatical VPS, but some big company decided they were entitled to that website name :(
good news is they have a shinier website, and they're working on US servers.
But yeah. I recommend them because they're cheap, and the customer support is above and beyond ^.^

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-10-13 18:10:52 Reply

At 10/13/12 05:45 PM, egg82 wrote: I have a lot i'd like to say, but unfortunately things just got busy :(

Heh, don't worry about it. I didn't realise that I'd typed so much in my last post!

So: Why not do them all? Find a way to combine everything you're learning.

I'm not sure C and web development really go hand in hand :P But yea, I'm sure I could use C to build something interesting. Or at the very least it will set the ground for me to move onto C++ and try to make something cool.

For example: I wanted to learn 3D, sockets, and VOIP in AS3. I'm now making a 3D multiplayer flash game with sound events coming directly from the server. In-game chat will be in there somewhere, later.

Stuff like that sounds fairly interesting. I'd like to look into games programming eventually, but I suck with art which always put me off. I guess that's the joy of being a NGer though. Plenty artists around here!

But yeah. I recommend them because they're cheap, and the customer support is above and beyond ^.^

Their lowest package is about a third of the price of the service that my friend suggested to me. He recommended Linode because he's been using them for a while now. I just had a quick glance over the afterburst site and unless I'm missing something, they seem to be a lot better value for money. I may actually look into renting a VPS from them so that I can tinker about.

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-10-13 18:52:26 Reply

At 10/13/12 06:10 PM, Dean wrote: Heh, don't worry about it. I didn't realise that I'd typed so much in my last post!

don't worry about it :P
I read it all, things really just did get busy. Yay, weekends.

I'm not sure C and web development really go hand in hand :P But yea, I'm sure I could use C to build something interesting. Or at the very least it will set the ground for me to move onto C++ and try to make something cool.

either way you'll come out with something cool if you finish your project :P

Stuff like that sounds fairly interesting. I'd like to look into games programming eventually, but I suck with art which always put me off. I guess that's the joy of being a NGer though. Plenty artists around here!

I suck at art (see below) - but hey, placeholder art is fine xD
get yourself a tablet, though, if you can spare the money. It's not as good as paper, but it's vastly improved to the mouse.

Their lowest package is about a third of the price of the service that my friend suggested to me. He recommended Linode because he's been using them for a while now. I just had a quick glance over the afterburst site and unless I'm missing something, they seem to be a lot better value for money. I may actually look into renting a VPS from them so that I can tinker about.

the boxes you get are your choice of quite a few popular linux distros out there. I recommend CentOS for server, and Ubuntu for desktop. (unless it's a laptop, then i'd grab Linux Mint)

Programming Regs Lounge

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-10-13 19:13:47 Reply

At 10/13/12 06:52 PM, egg82 wrote: I suck at art (see below) - but hey, placeholder art is fine xD
get yourself a tablet, though, if you can spare the money. It's not as good as paper, but it's vastly improved to the mouse.

Don't really have the money to spare on a tablet just now but hey, it's not too long until Christmas and my 21st birthday will be in January, so I should get a little cash coming my way. But yea, you make a good point. I'm sure placeholder art would do me fine unless it actually got to the point that I wanted to make something public.

the boxes you get are your choice of quite a few popular linux distros out there. I recommend CentOS for server, and Ubuntu for desktop. (unless it's a laptop, then i'd grab Linux Mint)

Yea, I was just looking into which distro would be best. CentOS is what we use on the university computers in the lab but for a server, I was looking at Debian. I know Debian and CentOS are the main two linux distros used on servers, but I have no real preference seeing as I've never had the joy of my own unmanaged VPS. I used Ubuntu on my desktop for a while before switching to Mint because I got sick of Unity. Mint is now my primary OS of choice.

Seriously considering signing up to afterburst, especially seeing as they currently have a 30% life discount offer right now. One of their lower priced packages would suit my minimal needs quite nicely I reckon. I just tried pinging one of their German IPs and a sample IP they gave for the upcoming US hosts. I get a way better ping with the German servers, although I guess that's expected, seeing as I'm in the UK.

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-10-13 19:53:29 Reply

At 10/13/12 07:13 PM, Dean wrote: Don't really have the money to spare on a tablet just now but hey, it's not too long until Christmas and my 21st birthday will be in January, so I should get a little cash coming my way. But yea, you make a good point. I'm sure placeholder art would do me fine unless it actually got to the point that I wanted to make something public.

well, happy early birthday! ^.^
but yeah, I usually use placeholder and make sure it's easy to change, unless I have an artist with me at the time.

Yea, I was just looking into which distro would be best. CentOS is what we use on the university computers in the lab but for a server, I was looking at Debian. I know Debian and CentOS are the main two linux distros used on servers, but I have no real preference seeing as I've never had the joy of my own unmanaged VPS. I used Ubuntu on my desktop for a while before switching to Mint because I got sick of Unity. Mint is now my primary OS of choice.

I don't really have a preference, either. I use CentOS on my server because I already had Ubuntu, so I thought i'd get something else to try it. Personally, I like yum only because I can update everything by typing "yum update" - other than the syntax, I don't see too much of a difference between the two package managers.

I hear, however, that RedHat-based distros use fewer resources than Debain-based distros. It may or may not be true, it's just what I hear.

Unmagaed VPSs are awesome because, well, there's no TOS (kinda) and no rules you need to go by aside from German or US laws. It's basically like having another computer across the world that has a lot of bandwidth and is always on.

Seriously considering signing up to afterburst, especially seeing as they currently have a 30% life discount offer right now. One of their lower priced packages would suit my minimal needs quite nicely I reckon. I just tried pinging one of their German IPs and a sample IP they gave for the upcoming US hosts. I get a way better ping with the German servers, although I guess that's expected, seeing as I'm in the UK.

haha, I get better ping in the US servers (might be because that's where I am)
I figured you were somewhere around the UK, you and your maths :P

but yeah, cheap hosting is the reason I went with fanatical.
but again, their support really is top notch. I dunno how long they can stay that way, but that's what i'm getting so far.

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-10-13 20:35:27 Reply

At 10/13/12 07:53 PM, egg82 wrote: I don't really have a preference, either.

oh, yeah. I recommended you use CentOS because I know for a fact that I can help if you get into trouble. I dunno anyone else that uses linux, so I can't say for sure that you'd be able to bail yourself out if you got into trouble.

Though since you use a linux distro on your home PC anyway, i'd say you're probably good ^.^

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-10-14 09:58:16 Reply

At 10/13/12 08:35 PM, egg82 wrote: Though since you use a linux distro on your home PC anyway, i'd say you're probably good ^.^

Been using Linux at uni for the past 3 years now and I've been using it on my home computer for about the last 2 years. I'm still by no means proficient with the command line, but I know enough to get by.

Unsure whether I want to take advantage of Afterburst's 30% life discount sometime soon or just wait until I have more time to actually work on some web projects. I think they said that the discount ends about a week after their US servers go live and that they'd be having another sale at Christmas for about a week, but I'm not sure if it will be as good a discount.

Problem is that right now I don't really have the money to be throwing away each month, even if it is only about £6. I did "sell" my car to my brother though, so I'm expecting some money from that to head in my direction very soon. I was actually expecting it this week but still no sign of it.

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-10-14 11:38:42 Reply

good timing, I decided to sleep in this morning to procrastinate starting my Java homework :P

At 10/14/12 09:58 AM, Dean wrote: Been using Linux at uni for the past 3 years now and I've been using it on my home computer for about the last 2 years. I'm still by no means proficient with the command line, but I know enough to get by.

oh, man, you get Backtrack on a VM. Most unforgiving distro for a beginner. I have no idea how many times i've re-installed O.o

Unsure whether I want to take advantage of Afterburst's 30% life discount sometime soon or just wait until I have more time to actually work on some web projects. I think they said that the discount ends about a week after their US servers go live and that they'd be having another sale at Christmas for about a week, but I'm not sure if it will be as good a discount.

I know xD
I really wanted to get the biggest one they have, but i'd have to drop my small one and I dunno if i'd be able to pay for it. I think you get an even bigger discount if you buy per year. The most obvious drawback with that is you spend a load of money every year.

Small works wonders for a web server, so I think i'll stick with that, despite the discount. I just dunno how much i'll regret it later :(

Problem is that right now I don't really have the money to be throwing away each month, even if it is only about Ã'£6. I did "sell" my car to my brother though, so I'm expecting some money from that to head in my direction very soon. I was actually expecting it this week but still no sign of it.

how do you get around? Just walk?
Or was it an old car?

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-10-14 12:38:54 Reply

At 10/14/12 11:38 AM, egg82 wrote: good timing, I decided to sleep in this morning to procrastinate starting my Java homework :P

Anything exciting? Looking back at some of the early Java stuff we had to do, it's really trivial but back then it took me some time to work out what to do.

oh, man, you get Backtrack on a VM. Most unforgiving distro for a beginner. I have no idea how many times i've re-installed O.o

Never heard of Backtrack. If you do somehow screw things up though, I assume it's really simple to just pick a new distro and start from scratch?

Small works wonders for a web server, so I think i'll stick with that, despite the discount. I just dunno how much i'll regret it later :(

If you upgrade the current package you're on (or downgrade it) I think you're eligible for the discount. I think it works out so that if you upgrade you'd be paying about the same as you're paying now, only you'd be getting better specs. One of the guys from Afterburst was posting/advertising in a thread at Facepunch and someone was asking him about that.

This thread

how do you get around? Just walk?
Or was it an old car?

I live in a fairly small town so yea, I just walk. I sold it to be brother because I've not driven it for about 3 years. My parents used it during that time though. I just couldn't afford the insurance and I don't particularly need a car just now anyway. That will probably change when/if I graduate and start looking for a job though. If I want to do anything related to my degree, I'll probably have to move to the city or something. Not sure how easy that will be.

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-10-14 13:58:42 Reply

At 10/14/12 12:38 PM, Dean wrote: Anything exciting? Looking back at some of the early Java stuff we had to do, it's really trivial but back then it took me some time to work out what to do.

not this time, just the reverse-polish notation calculator. The teacher makes all the assignments she hands out fun, though. Like I said, she's offering a challenge to beat her calculator. Winner(s) get an "official" certificate posted on her wall saying we beat her. I thought it was a fun little addition :P

Never heard of Backtrack. If you do somehow screw things up though, I assume it's really simple to just pick a new distro and start from scratch?

yeah, you can wipe your drive and start over if you want. That's why I suggested a VM instead of a full install. Or just burn the iso onto a disk and run it from there (yay, bootable disks!)

Backtrack is a pentesting distro. It does one thing and it does it very well. It comes pre-equipped with a whole bunch of nice tools like wireshark and aircrack-ng.
Most of the time i'll use BT for wireless security. Basically "how safe is your router/computer from external attacks?"

If you upgrade the current package you're on (or downgrade it) I think you're eligible for the discount. I think it works out so that if you upgrade you'd be paying about the same as you're paying now, only you'd be getting better specs. One of the guys from Afterburst was posting/advertising in a thread at Facepunch and someone was asking him about that.

awesome :D
I'll look into it again.

This thread

"So after a certain company with lots of rackspace fucked us over because apparently you can copyright "fanatical" we're now Afterburst!"

Can you tell that they're a small company? xD
If you're the professional type, then don't worry, Nick (customer support) is much more professional in e-mails. Still friendly, though ;)

One of the many reasons I like being a small organization is that we can do and say whatever we want. Now obviously there's consequences for our actions, but there's nobody up high telling you what you can and can't say and do.
I CAN work like that, I just much prefer at least feeling like I have freedom :P

I live in a fairly small town so yea, I just walk. I sold it to be brother because I've not driven it for about 3 years. My parents used it during that time though. I just couldn't afford the insurance and I don't particularly need a car just now anyway. That will probably change when/if I graduate and start looking for a job though. If I want to do anything related to my degree, I'll probably have to move to the city or something. Not sure how easy that will be.

well, if you get a job then you're luckier than I am. If I need money desperately i'll pentest someone's router or make an application for someone or fix someone's computer/connection, but other than that I don't really have a source of good, steady income.
I dunno about the UK, but over here it's pretty tough finding a job when you have no certificates or degrees.

well, with any luck by the time you find you'll need to move, you won't have much stuff to take with you. Still won't be easy without automatic transport, though O.o
Can you rent your car back from your brother, or will you just have to get another vehicle?
I hear motorcycles are pretty cheap, but I don't have a licence for one. I dunno about you :P

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-10-14 15:38:47 Reply

At 10/14/12 01:58 PM, egg82 wrote: If you're the professional type, then don't worry, Nick (customer support) is much more professional in e-mails. Still friendly, though ;)

Any idea how small a company they actually are? I do like the idea of being with a smaller company though. Seems like there's more chance of you being treated as a person and not as a customer ID number.

I dunno about the UK, but over here it's pretty tough finding a job when you have no certificates or degrees.

We were spoken to by the university careers guy last week and he was telling us that just having a degree isn't enough. He said that he'd been speaking to some of the bigger companies in the area and they'd only really be interested in taking people on who contribute to open source software and write technical blogs amongst other things. You know, things that show that you're more dedicated to learning than just attending class.

I can't say that I contribute to open source or write a technical blog. They're both maybe things that I should look into. Oh god, there's me adding more stuff to my list of stuff to do.

Can you rent your car back from your brother, or will you just have to get another vehicle?
I hear motorcycles are pretty cheap, but I don't have a licence for one. I dunno about you :P

I never actually thought of that. If I was to find work in my town, I could just walk and then after a while spend some money on a car of my own. If I had to move to the city (Edinburgh, most likely) I'd probably just have to rely on public transport for a while or something. I don't know. It's not something I've given much though.

Bike license is something I'd like to get eventually. My dads a biker and is really into his custom choppers and stuff. I always thought it would be cool to go on a bike trip around Europe.

BBS Signature