Be a Supporter!

Programming Regs Lounge

  • 409,663 Views
  • 17,905 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Member since: Jan. 19, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 12:17 PM Reply

At 56 minutes ago, tonypar16 wrote: I disagree too.In this forum there are questions that can be asked not only forActionscript but flash also like questions for libraries,problems with the software...

ActionScript/Flash forum then.
They could also detect if some Flash related words are in the post (while the user is typing it) and then display some text such as "Is this post ActionScript related? Post in the Flash forum instead!".

Zendra
Zendra
  • Member since: Sep. 7, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 51
Blank Slate
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 12:26 PM Reply

At 1 hour ago, tonypar16 wrote: I disagree too.In this forum there are questions that can be asked not only forActionscript but flash also like questions for libraries,problems with the software...

I wish it was rightful to ban people for being ignorant and persisting whilst being wrong. It would give a relieved feeling.

McPaper
McPaper
  • Member since: Nov. 29, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 04:15 PM Reply

I don't mind ActionScript questions in here as long as its strictly programming.


BBS Signature
Diki
Diki
  • Member since: Jan. 31, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 13
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 04:18 PM Reply

At 3 hours ago, Wolfos wrote: They could also detect if some Flash related words are in the post (while the user is typing it) and then display some text such as "Is this post ActionScript related? Post in the Flash forum instead!".

I wouldn't expect such a feature on a BBS that doesn't even have post previews or the ability to edit posts.
Feature-wise the Newgrounds BBS is perpetually stuck in the 90s. :(

Jessii
Jessii
  • Member since: Feb. 10, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Movie Buff
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 05:06 PM Reply

At 4 hours ago, Zendra wrote: I wish it was rightful to ban people for being ignorant and persisting whilst being wrong. It would give a relieved feeling.

I wish I could "like" this lol.

At 50 minutes ago, McPaper wrote: I don't mind ActionScript questions in here as long as its strictly programming.

They made a separate forum for a reason. It's just easier to find what you need and it keeps things more organized to keep it in ONE forum rather than multiple forums..

citricsquid
citricsquid
  • Member since: Jun. 25, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 05:28 PM Reply

sup guys new apartment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlS51dvs4J0

Dean
Dean
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 05:42 PM Reply

At 13 minutes ago, citricsquid wrote: sup guys new apartment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlS51dvs4J0

That's pretty sweet. It just makes me wonder how long before I get to the stage in life where I have my own place.

You'll need to show us what it's like when you've pimped the place out with all your stuff.


BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Jessii
Jessii
  • Member since: Feb. 10, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Movie Buff
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 06:54 PM Reply

At 1 hour ago, citricsquid wrote: sup guys new apartment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlS51dvs4J0

It's nice! I wouldn't be able to live there though (the layout is kind of weird). There's not enough space in the kitchen but it's nice that the kitchen and living area are open to each other. So if you're entertaining, everyone's right there.

Momo-the-Monkey
Momo-the-Monkey
  • Member since: Oct. 15, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 45
Musician
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Mar. 20th, 2012 @ 10:23 PM Reply

At 3 hours ago, Jessii wrote:
At 1 hour ago, citricsquid wrote: sup guys new apartment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlS51dvs4J0
There's not enough space in the kitchen but it's nice that the kitchen and living area are open to each other. So if you're entertaining, everyone's right there.

Wow that's a pretty hoppin pad. That's a huge living area too, and I like the kitchen!! I used to live in a place where the kitchen was so small, if you opened the fridge, the rest of the kitchen was unusable. Just wide enough to spin in a circle, but that was about it. Then again, I didn't have that many people over :'( lol


Hello, from the past!
[ PHP: Main ]

BBS Signature
WoogieNoogie
WoogieNoogie
  • Member since: Jun. 26, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Mar. 21st, 2012 @ 06:25 PM Reply

At 1 day ago, Zendra wrote: I wish it was rightful to ban people for being ignorant and persisting whilst being wrong. It would give a relieved feeling.

Just do it. I won't tell anyone.

At 1 day ago, McPaper wrote: I don't mind ActionScript questions in here as long as its strictly programming.

Actionscript is never strictly programming. You have to reference keyframes, libraries, and other data specifically in the program.

Jessii
Jessii
  • Member since: Feb. 10, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Movie Buff
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Mar. 22nd, 2012 @ 06:19 PM Reply

Hmm something freaky just happened. I went to click on the link to this site and Adaware popped up saying that the site could potentially damage my computer if I continue. I don't think that's ever happened before lol. However, I do believe that NG rots people's brains and warps their "sense of humor" quite a bit so maybe Adaware is on to something there! lol

Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Member since: Jan. 19, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Mar. 23rd, 2012 @ 05:13 PM Reply

At 1 day ago, WoogieNoogie wrote: Actionscript is never strictly programming. You have to reference keyframes, libraries, and other data specifically in the program.

No you don't. Try MXMLC, that's as programmy as it gets.
Keyframes have nothing to do with it.

Dean
Dean
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Mar. 29th, 2012 @ 05:56 AM Reply

Been playing about with threads in C. Nothing too advanced, just enough to get some of my coursework finished. A lot of people in the class seem to find it daunting, but it didn't take me too long to get things working. I'm sure in a more complex program it could be a pain to implement, but in our small example I can't see why it was causing people problems. Probably the lack of C we've done recently.

How many of you guys actually make use of multithreading when writing programs?


BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Member since: Jan. 19, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Mar. 29th, 2012 @ 12:49 PM Reply

I have 2 threads to work with, one is automatically assigned to the graphics part and the other to the game logic/physics and stuff. Only performance feature I want is pointers, but C# doesn't have them.

Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Member since: Jan. 19, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Mar. 29th, 2012 @ 12:52 PM Reply

At 3/29/12 12:49 PM, Wolfos wrote: Only performance feature I want is pointers, but C# doesn't have them.

I also might have been drunk while I was researching that, apparently.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/y31yhkeb(v=vs.80).as px

I have no idea how I missed out on that.

Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Member since: Jan. 19, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Apr. 1st, 2012 @ 05:30 PM Reply

Anyone else ever had an application crash because of lack of RAM? There was literally no RAM left.
Never required more than 4GB, ever!

Hoeloe
Hoeloe
  • Member since: Apr. 29, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Game Developer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Apr. 2nd, 2012 @ 08:06 AM Reply

At 4/1/12 05:30 PM, Wolfos wrote: Anyone else ever had an application crash because of lack of RAM? There was literally no RAM left.
Never required more than 4GB, ever!

Depends what you mean by application crash. I've had my programs crash due to a lack of memory, but I've never had an IDE crash for the same reason.


Song of the Firefly is on Steam Greenlight and Facebook. Give them a look and support the project!
------------------------------

BBS Signature
ProfessorFlash
ProfessorFlash
  • Member since: Oct. 6, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Apr. 2nd, 2012 @ 11:37 AM Reply

Hey guys, quick question. Which program do you use to write javascript? I have a project coming up and was thinking what is best for it. Atm I'm considering Eclipse. Any better choices?


You can solve pretty much any problem you may have with AS3 by consulting the AS3 Language reference.

Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Member since: Jan. 19, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Apr. 2nd, 2012 @ 04:52 PM Reply

At 4/2/12 11:37 AM, ProfessorFlash wrote: Hey guys, quick question. Which program do you use to write javascript? I have a project coming up and was thinking what is best for it. Atm I'm considering Eclipse. Any better choices?

Are you confusing Java and JavaScript?

ProfessorFlash
ProfessorFlash
  • Member since: Oct. 6, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Apr. 2nd, 2012 @ 05:19 PM Reply

At 4/2/12 04:52 PM, Wolfos wrote:
At 4/2/12 11:37 AM, ProfessorFlash wrote: Hey guys, quick question. Which program do you use to write javascript? I have a project coming up and was thinking what is best for it. Atm I'm considering Eclipse. Any better choices?
Are you confusing Java and JavaScript?

Nope. Why would I be? I'm looking for a good editor that has code completion for javascript. I remember seeing that there is a plugin for that for eclipse, so I'll probably go with that unless someone can recommend something better.


You can solve pretty much any problem you may have with AS3 by consulting the AS3 Language reference.

WoogieNoogie
WoogieNoogie
  • Member since: Jun. 26, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Apr. 2nd, 2012 @ 08:09 PM Reply

Eclipse is a good one for Java, if you can afford it. Zend is also nice...if you can afford it.

kiwi-kiwi
kiwi-kiwi
  • Member since: Mar. 6, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Apr. 3rd, 2012 @ 04:12 AM Reply

At 4/2/12 05:19 PM, ProfessorFlash wrote:
Nope. Why would I be? I'm looking for a good editor that has code completion for javascript. I remember seeing that there is a plugin for that for eclipse, so I'll probably go with that unless someone can recommend something better.

I use Aptana Studio right now, it pretty much has everything I need

ProfessorFlash
ProfessorFlash
  • Member since: Oct. 6, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Apr. 3rd, 2012 @ 05:03 AM Reply

At 4/3/12 04:12 AM, kiwi-kiwi wrote:
At 4/2/12 05:19 PM, ProfessorFlash wrote:
Nope. Why would I be? I'm looking for a good editor that has code completion for javascript. I remember seeing that there is a plugin for that for eclipse, so I'll probably go with that unless someone can recommend something better.
I use Aptana Studio right now, it pretty much has everything I need

Well at least one guy understands when I say javascript I mean javascript, lol :). Thanks kiwi, Aptana looks like exactly what I need.


You can solve pretty much any problem you may have with AS3 by consulting the AS3 Language reference.

Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Member since: Jan. 19, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Apr. 3rd, 2012 @ 01:00 PM Reply

At 4/3/12 05:03 AM, ProfessorFlash wrote: Well at least one guy understands when I say javascript I mean javascript, lol :). Thanks kiwi, Aptana looks like exactly what I need.

It's because Eclipse is primarily a Java IDE.

Jon-86
Jon-86
  • Member since: Jan. 30, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Apr. 3rd, 2012 @ 03:06 PM Reply

At 4/3/12 04:12 AM, kiwi-kiwi wrote: I use Aptana Studio right now

High five!

I've been busy as of lately, still keeping an eye in here from time to time.

Nice hoose Cirtic..! If I didn't have as many commitments as I do up here I'd probably move to england because the job markets better. But a day so am no gonnie :P


PHP Main :: C++ Main :: Java Main :: Vorsprung durch Technik
irc.freenode.net #ngprogramming

BBS Signature
ProfessorFlash
ProfessorFlash
  • Member since: Oct. 6, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Apr. 3rd, 2012 @ 04:03 PM Reply

At 4/3/12 01:00 PM, Wolfos wrote:
At 4/3/12 05:03 AM, ProfessorFlash wrote: Well at least one guy understands when I say javascript I mean javascript, lol :). Thanks kiwi, Aptana looks like exactly what I need.
It's because Eclipse is primarily a Java IDE.

You can use Eclipse even to write letters to your mother. It has like a billion plugins. When someone ask about javascript, why you assume he made a massive typo and meant java? That doesn't make a lot of sense.


You can solve pretty much any problem you may have with AS3 by consulting the AS3 Language reference.

Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Member since: Jan. 19, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Apr. 3rd, 2012 @ 05:11 PM Reply

No, because some retard named it "JavaScript" and a lot of idiots confuse the two. JavaScript doesn't need an IDE either because it compiles at runtime. Just need a text editor.

kiwi-kiwi
kiwi-kiwi
  • Member since: Mar. 6, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Apr. 3rd, 2012 @ 05:36 PM Reply

At 4/3/12 04:03 PM, ProfessorFlash wrote: You can use Eclipse even to write letters to your mother.

I cannot find the words to express the level of hilarity I experience picturing that scenario

At 4/3/12 05:11 PM, Wolfos wrote: No, because some retard named it "JavaScript" and a lot of idiots confuse the two. JavaScript doesn't need an IDE either because it compiles at runtime. Just need a text editor.

Actually you kinda do, but it only becomes a necessity once you reach a certain threshold in your projects' size. I am currently writing a very nice templating engine to use in my bachelor project and having Aptana helped me steer clear of some fuckups. Not to mention that it's a lot nicer to write web related stuff when the auto complete engine suggests local files where necessary.

ProfessorFlash
ProfessorFlash
  • Member since: Oct. 6, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Apr. 3rd, 2012 @ 06:48 PM Reply

At 4/3/12 05:11 PM, Wolfos wrote: No, because some retard named it "JavaScript" and a lot of idiots confuse the two. JavaScript doesn't need an IDE either because it compiles at runtime. Just need a text editor.

Sure it doesn't "need", but unless you are writing just couple of lines or are a hardcore pro, notepad isn't gonna cut it. You need a proper program like the suggested Aptana.


You can solve pretty much any problem you may have with AS3 by consulting the AS3 Language reference.

WoogieNoogie
WoogieNoogie
  • Member since: Jun. 26, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Apr. 4th, 2012 @ 02:45 PM Reply

At 4/3/12 06:48 PM, ProfessorFlash wrote: Sure it doesn't "need", but unless you are writing just couple of lines or are a hardcore pro, notepad isn't gonna cut it. You need a proper program like the suggested Aptana.

I used to code all my Javascxript and PHP in Notepad. I wouldn't consider myself a hardcore pro.