New Topic Respond to this Topic
gonzored1
gonzored1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2014-07-14 22:32:46 Reply

Is anyone here a programmer interested in helping make a game?

Diki
Diki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2014-07-14 23:51:01 Reply

At 7/14/14 10:32 PM, gonzored1 wrote: Is anyone here a programmer interested in helping make a game?

You'll be more likely to find help if you give more information in the thread you posted.

Generally speaking, most people won't work for free, so if you're offering compensation you should mention that. It would also be a good idea to give some information regarding what style of game it is (single-player, multi-player, 2D, 3D, shooter, RPG, et cetera) so people will know how much work will be involved. One of the most important things is to explain what your role in project will be so people can know that they won't be doing everything on their own.

I personally cannot help you (I'm not a game developer) but doing what I described will certainly make it more likely that you will find someone, but there is no guarantee.

coln
coln
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2014-09-06 11:33:42 Reply

Ahhhh! I've been writing in Python so long that when I go back to C (or any other language), I forget to type semi-colons! Oh the pains....

BBS Signature
WoogieNoogie
WoogieNoogie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2014-09-06 11:52:07 Reply

I enjoy semicolons and braces. One of the projects I work on is in Coffeescript, and it annoys the hell out of me.

coln
coln
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2014-09-06 21:45:05 Reply

At 9/6/14 11:52 AM, WoogieNoogie wrote: I enjoy semicolons and braces. One of the projects I work on is in Coffeescript, and it annoys the hell out of me.

Don't get me wrong, I like them too. I have just created a habit of not using them since I've been on a Python kick recently. I haven't played with Coffeescript yet though. What is the purpose of it (genuinely asking)?

BBS Signature
WoogieNoogie
WoogieNoogie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2014-09-06 22:22:03 Reply

At 9/6/14 09:45 PM, coln wrote: What is the purpose of it (genuinely asking)?

It actually just compiles down to Javascript, so the point of it is to speed up writing code. The time it takes me to basically remember the correct syntax of...no syntax...kinda slows me down. The writing part is pretty quick, but if I have to go back through and debug code, especially someone else's, it gets a little hard.

I'm sure if I were to switch to 100% using it, it would work better, but if I were to switch how I write Javascript, I would just go to Dart.

coln
coln
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2014-09-15 18:13:25 Reply

Anyone familiar with cluster computing or slave/master computing? I have a few old computers lying around (they aren't too terribly powerful) and I wanted to get some use out of them. I've been looking around and the best solution I've come up with so far is Synergy, but that's just a KM switch, so they're still 3 separate computers working independently.

I don't necessarily need to do heaving computations on it, but I would like to combine their efforts to turn 3 crappy computers into 1 decent 3-core computer. I know from research that this is quite difficult with such a small scale and not really worth it unless I want to render video or figure out genetic folding.

Any thoughts?

BBS Signature
Hopje
Hopje
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2014-09-18 13:21:23 Reply

At 5/20/14 09:49 AM, Shakyjake wrote:
At 2/8/14 04:39 PM, Captain-Slugworth wrote:
To continue the metaphor, I'm going all-in.

Welcome to HodorScript

If you still want to be able to create something with the silliness of the above languages: ArnoldC http://lhartikk.github.io/ArnoldC/

Urp, smilies are broken for me :'(

Hops...Bops...Nops...Sops...

BBS Signature