New Topic Respond to this Topic
Momo-the-Monkey
Momo-the-Monkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Musician
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-08-15 23:12:21 Reply

Just got back from a summer DCI (if anyone knows what that is), which means no programming for an entire summer. I think I have forgotten how to live now. No programming = no life.

Anyway, anyone know of a good host? My website expired while I was gone

Hello, from the past!
[ PHP: Main ]

BBS Signature
NinoGrounds
NinoGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-08-16 00:09:27 Reply

At 8/15/12 11:12 PM, Momo-the-Monkey wrote: Just got back from a summer DCI (if anyone knows what that is), which means no programming for an entire summer. I think I have forgotten how to live now. No programming = no life.

First off, why?

Anyway, anyone know of a good host? My website expired while I was gone

They seem okay

Momo-the-Monkey
Momo-the-Monkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Musician
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-08-16 20:44:17 Reply

At 8/16/12 12:09 AM, NinoGrounds wrote: First off, why?

Ah who knows. I'm delirious.

They seem okay

Have you used them before? Like all of us I'm just trying to make sure they're reliable before getting my feet wet again.

Hello, from the past!
[ PHP: Main ]

BBS Signature
Diki
Diki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-08-16 22:20:42 Reply

At 8/16/12 08:44 PM, Momo-the-Monkey wrote: Have you used them before? Like all of us I'm just trying to make sure they're reliable before getting my feet wet again.

The last shared hosting service I used was Apis Networks and they were excellent.
My only complaint was that the path to your root directory is very long. Not a huge deal though.

NinoGrounds
NinoGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-08-17 12:27:53 Reply

At 8/16/12 08:44 PM, Momo-the-Monkey wrote: Have you used them before? Like all of us I'm just trying to make sure they're reliable before getting my feet wet again.

I've used their other services and it was fine. Furthermore, currently I am working on a ste for this spa company, and I decided I'll host it there.

I decided I'll go with the deluxe edition, which costs 6.75$/month, whereas diki's choice Apis don't even have a unlimited traffic plan (or at least I can't see it)

Diki
Diki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-08-17 14:13:44 Reply

At 8/17/12 12:27 PM, NinoGrounds wrote: I decided I'll go with the deluxe edition, which costs 6.75$/month, whereas diki's choice Apis don't even have a unlimited traffic plan (or at least I can't see it)

There's no such thing as unlimited bandwidth/disk space; that's impossible.
And most companies that offer that will put limits on your account (such as your transfer rate) if you use up too much bandwidth and/or disk space.

NinoGrounds
NinoGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-08-17 16:04:02 Reply

At 8/17/12 02:13 PM, Diki wrote: There's no such thing as unlimited bandwidth/disk space; that's impossible.

I digg that shit

At 8/17/12 12:59 PM, citricsquid wrote: linode

Seems like a decent host.

Jon-86
Jon-86
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-08-18 15:23:15 Reply

At 8/17/12 12:48 PM, citricsquid wrote: http://linode.com are my favourite,

I gave them a go based on your recommendation last year. Had no problems with my VPS so far...

PHP Main :: C++ Main :: Java Main :: Vorsprung durch Technik
irc.freenode.net #ngprogramming

BBS Signature
NinoGrounds
NinoGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-08-19 21:01:28 Reply

At 8/18/12 03:23 PM, Jon-86 wrote: I gave them a go based on your recommendation last year. Had no problems with my VPS so far...

At some moment I'll also become in need of one, and I guess I'll go with it too..

NinoGrounds
NinoGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-08-20 22:57:31 Reply

Any ideas how to recreate this cool effect (when you hover over a brand) ?

NinoGrounds
NinoGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-08-21 15:10:18 Reply

At 8/21/12 02:56 PM, citricsquid wrote: Look for ".more" in: http://uimg.unilever.com/central/script/custom.js

Thanks bro, I was about to reinvent hot water

NinoGrounds
NinoGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-08-21 16:27:05 Reply

At 8/21/12 02:56 PM, citricsquid wrote:
At 8/20/12 10:57 PM, NinoGrounds wrote: Any ideas how to recreate this cool effect (when you hover over a brand) ?
Look for ".more" in: http://uimg.unilever.com/central/script/custom.js

If I were to Google this effect / transition, honestly, what would my query be anyways?

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-08-21 20:52:57 Reply

At 8/6/12 10:21 PM, NinoGrounds wrote: I liek unix too. I started with ubuntu, now I'm using backtrack 5 r2

Did you know that R3 came out? You probably already have the update, it's just an "apt-get dist-upgrade".
It's funny, I actually learned linux on BT5. It's brutally unforgiving, so I learned very quickly.

Nowadays I consider myself a good enough linux user to be able to work my way around the OS via command line or the GUI equally as efficiently.
I have yet to compile a program (make, make-install) - haven't had the need to yet.
I have yet to make a full program with a GTK interface and an installer. If I do make an installer, i'll just tarball the damn thing.
I also have yet to actually use all of BT's tools. Most are preference, anyway.

I use BT to pentest my website and any servers I own (once a month or so. I wish I could do more, but I actually have a life)
Usually i'll just throw armitage at it, but every now and then i'll do something that actually has a chance of working.

Occasionally i'll get a pentest request. I'm actually very proficient at getting into routers and grabbing passwords and other goodies from home/office computers.

What do you use it for?

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
NinoGrounds
NinoGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-08-21 21:02:32 Reply

At 8/21/12 08:52 PM, egg82 wrote: What do you use it for?

WiFi analysis (mostly decryption) and pentesting stuff I do.

smulse
smulse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-08-22 08:51:16 Reply

At 8/21/12 04:27 PM, NinoGrounds wrote:
At 8/21/12 02:56 PM, citricsquid wrote:
At 8/20/12 10:57 PM, NinoGrounds wrote: Any ideas how to recreate this cool effect (when you hover over a brand) ?
Look for ".more" in: http://uimg.unilever.com/central/script/custom.js
If I were to Google this effect / transition, honestly, what would my query be anyways?

It's not too hard to do with just a few lines of CSS, http://pnch.net/hover.html

BBS Signature
kiwi-kiwi
kiwi-kiwi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-08-22 17:16:32 Reply

I don't know how many of you guys are into this kind of stuff, but some might find this interesting
First three levels were a breeze.

NinoGrounds
NinoGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-08-22 22:55:06 Reply

At 8/22/12 08:51 AM, smulse wrote: It's not too hard to do with just a few lines of CSS, http://pnch.net/hover.html

Okay, thanks m8, I appreciate it.

At 8/22/12 05:16 PM, kiwi-kiwi wrote: I don't know how many of you guys are into this kind of stuff, but some might find this interesting
First three levels were a breeze.

And this is reallynice. I'll be spending my time there

NinoGrounds
NinoGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-08-23 14:24:52 Reply

My village is on fire! It's pretty sweet (interesting)

Programming Regs Lounge

Jessii
Jessii
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Movie Buff
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-08-23 19:15:38 Reply

At 8/23/12 02:24 PM, NinoGrounds wrote: My village is on fire! It's pretty sweet (interesting)

You're happy about that? Then again pretty much the entire west coast of the US is on fire (again).

NinoGrounds
NinoGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-08-23 22:36:51 Reply

At 8/23/12 07:15 PM, Jessii wrote: You're happy about that?

It was interesting and harmless, due to the fact that fire was spreading towards non inhabited area

NinoGrounds
NinoGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Programmer
NinoGrounds
NinoGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-08-23 23:47:47 Reply

At 8/22/12 08:51 AM, smulse wrote: It's not too hard to do with just a few lines of CSS, http://pnch.net/hover.html

I'm having some difficulties. Please go here, and below the navigation, you will see the articles area. 4 images * 2 rows.
I need the animation to proportionally resize height too, so orange box with short article description doesn't leave the image area. CSS rules for the aforementioned are at the bottom of this file.
Is it even possible with pure CSS? This is kinnda urgent

Programming Regs Lounge

Thegluestickman
Thegluestickman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-08-28 13:44:48 Reply

Just noticed something cool. If you go to Google and search binary, the number of results is in binary. Irrelevant, yes. Kind of neat, yes.

To protect the world from devastation.
kidd25 is the best Newgrounder ever.

BBS Signature
WizMystery
WizMystery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-08-28 15:54:03 Reply

I Hers Serm Querstions

Okay, I finally decided to stop fiddling with midi and just work with regular sound and do things the harder (but more fruitful) way. The only problem is I have no idea how to use these audio libraries. The ASIO4All SDK for starters comes with little documentation about how it works or what I'm even supposed to do with it, and I have the feeling that what documentation it DOES have is lying to me (right away the first function it instructs me to use absolutely NEEDS parameters that it claims are optional). I came across PortAudio which has much better documentation but even then many details are left undescribed. It's telling me to use MSYS to compile the source into a library, which I've never had to do, and that requires some Unix command line bullshit that isn't exactly user friendly (after it does some textual magic I am unable to find any sort of library anywhere on my computer). To top it all off, there seems to be no third party tutorials whatsoever about any sort of audio programming in C++ using any library and I'm not about to buy a several-hundred page manual to read about something that can be explained to me within an hour's worth of youtube videos like everything else I've learned up to this point - which is admittedly a lot.

That's the background of my dilemma, now here's what I want to do - I want to create a soundtrack engine that directly manipulates an audio driver (preferably ASIO, but that's turning out to be impossible to figure out) and creates music that can go in multiple directions based on events within a game. This means no music files of any kind - the music is being rendered as you are playing the game in it's own thread with a few pre-calculations via synthesis. This is what FL Studio and all other DAWs are doing, so not only is it possible, it's been done outside of a gaming environment.

What library(ies) is best for doing this and where can I go to learn about general audio programming in C++?

kiwi-kiwi
kiwi-kiwi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-08-28 16:17:09 Reply

At 8/28/12 03:54 PM, WizMystery wrote: What library(ies) is best for doing this and where can I go to learn about general audio programming in C++?

I feel for you, part of what I do nowadays is deciphering the uses of obscure library calls.
In any case, most people I know use this library. I'm not entirely sure it can do everything you need though, but I'd be interested to hear if it solves your problem.

NinoGrounds
NinoGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-08-29 23:40:27 Reply

At 8/28/12 01:44 PM, Thegluestickman wrote: Just noticed something cool. If you go to Google and search binary, the number of results is in binary. Irrelevant, yes. Kind of neat, yes.

About 0b1001000111101001100001000000 results (0.22 seconds)

WizMystery
WizMystery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-09-01 20:27:34 Reply

At 8/28/12 04:17 PM, kiwi-kiwi wrote:
At 8/28/12 03:54 PM, WizMystery wrote: What library(ies) is best for doing this and where can I go to learn about general audio programming in C++?
I feel for you, part of what I do nowadays is deciphering the uses of obscure library calls.
In any case, most people I know use this library. I'm not entirely sure it can do everything you need though, but I'd be interested to hear if it solves your problem.

I'm probably embarrassing myself by saying this but I have no idea how to link to a dll :X

kiwi-kiwi
kiwi-kiwi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-09-02 03:02:50 Reply

At 9/1/12 08:27 PM, WizMystery wrote: I'm probably embarrassing myself by saying this but I have no idea how to link to a dll :X

Nope, you're not, first of all what IDE are you using ?
Second no matter the IDE, you will need to find a .h and .lib file for the dll and tell the linker where they are found. If you don't have these, then you will need to use this function to get the function address from the dll. Only problem with that approach is that you need to know the exact name and description for your function (so for instance if the dll was written in C++ you have to remember to take into account name mangling etc.)

Jon-86
Jon-86
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-09-02 12:02:02 Reply

Hopefully moving house soon, dont think I can be arsed doing what citricsquid done when he got his now pad a while back. But I think I will post a pic of the lamp I'm gonna make.

I'm gonna build one of these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGk3O-zg2E8

Its not a tesla coil. But its still a cool idea! Wireless power transmission of sorts and you canny knock that! Hopefully I get the time to!

BBS Signature
Jon-86
Jon-86
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2012-09-02 13:30:39 Reply

And while looking through old posts just now to find a link to a video I posted a few years back, I found that this is still in there living happily :)

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/rules_programming

BBS Signature