New Topic Respond to this Topic
Shakyjake
Shakyjake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Jan. 5th, 2011 @ 03:38 PM Reply

At 1/4/11 04:36 PM, Jon-86 wrote: Happy late..... from me also!

Here's some good news for web developers http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser-eu-mo nthly-200912-201012

Oh fuck you, South Korea

And why do they have stats for the Isle of Man?

Jon-86
Jon-86
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Jan. 5th, 2011 @ 07:49 PM Reply

At 1/5/11 03:38 PM, Shakyjake wrote: Oh fuck you, South Korea

And why do they have stats for the Isle of Man?

The Isle of Man is not part of the UK. I actually checked the world-wide stats after that. Quite interesting to see the boom then the dip with Chrome!

PHP Main :: C++ Main :: Java Main :: Vorsprung durch Technik
irc.freenode.net #ngprogramming

BBS Signature
Shakyjake
Shakyjake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Jan. 6th, 2011 @ 12:32 PM Reply

At 1/5/11 07:49 PM, Jon-86 wrote: The Isle of Man is not part of the UK.

Huh, I always thought it was... well you learn something new every day. Apparently the Queen has the title of "Lord of Mann" too.

I actually checked the world-wide stats after that. Quite interesting to see the boom then the dip with Chrome!

The weird thing is that it seemed to happen with every single continent (Africa's being the least noticeable). Wonder what caused it...

tyler2513
tyler2513
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Jan. 7th, 2011 @ 08:05 PM Reply

What console should I get Dreamcast or Playstation 2? I have Gamecube but the PS2 had video RAM 4 MB while the Dreamcast has Video RAM 8 mb?

BBS Signature
Jessii
Jessii
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Movie Buff
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Jan. 7th, 2011 @ 08:35 PM Reply

At 1/7/11 08:05 PM, tyler2513 wrote: What console should I get Dreamcast or Playstation 2? I have Gamecube but the PS2 had video RAM 4 MB while the Dreamcast has Video RAM 8 mb?

Dreamcast is still around? Or is that an ebay item? I think you should get a Sega Genesis!

Momo-the-Monkey
Momo-the-Monkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Musician
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Jan. 9th, 2011 @ 11:53 AM Reply

At 1/6/11 12:32 PM, Shakyjake wrote: The weird thing is that it seemed to happen with every single continent (Africa's being the least noticeable). Wonder what caused it...

At least Antartica has the right idea... http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser-an-mo nthly-200912-201012

Hello, from the past!
[ PHP: Main ]

BBS Signature
Chickumbleh
Chickumbleh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Jan. 9th, 2011 @ 01:25 PM Reply

Firefox dominates Antartica.
Ironic because it is icy down there.

deckheadtottie
deckheadtottie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 59
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Jan. 10th, 2011 @ 04:13 PM Reply

First day back at uni and am greeted with this exam result...

There's no way I can keep this up.

Programming Regs Lounge

#coys

BBS Signature
McPaper
McPaper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Jan. 10th, 2011 @ 05:36 PM Reply

At 1/10/11 04:13 PM, deckheadtottie wrote: First day back at uni and am greeted with this exam result...

There's no way I can keep this up.

What was that programming excercise?

BBS Signature
Jessii
Jessii
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Movie Buff
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Jan. 10th, 2011 @ 09:23 PM Reply

Haha, I made Dean's List this past semester and I just got a letter about how proud my friends and family should be of me. Hell, the classes that I've been taking to get my certificate aren't hard, though some of my classmates did poorly in some of my classes. Then I get from some people, "you're in the field, you live this and breathe this." I dunno. Just wanted to share because I find it amusing.

Jon-86
Jon-86
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Jan. 10th, 2011 @ 10:07 PM Reply

At 1/6/11 12:32 PM, Shakyjake wrote: Huh, I always thought it was... well you learn something new every day. Apparently the Queen has the title of "Lord of Mann" too.

I don't know what claim the royals say they have to the island, probably on par with places like Canada and Australia. I just know the Isle of man as one of the Celtic nations.

At 1/9/11 11:53 AM, Momo-the-Monkey wrote: At least Antartica has the right idea... http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser-an-mo nthly-200912-201012

Probably all those damn researchers and scientists messing with the penguins stats :P

At 1/10/11 09:23 PM, Jessii wrote: Haha, I made Dean's List this past semester

I'll say congratulations but I'll have to ask, whats the Dean's list? I don't have a scooby doo lol

BBS Signature
UnknownFear
UnknownFear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Gamer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Jan. 11th, 2011 @ 10:58 AM Reply

Well, started round two of IPC (C Programming) yesterday as I failed it last semester. I think I'll do a much better job this time around, seeing as how the teacher is so much more motivated, enthusiastic...and an all around fun guy! I also have a double tutor session each week for C, and it's actually a lot of fun.

Jon-86
Jon-86
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Jan. 11th, 2011 @ 11:10 AM Reply

Good for you, systems programming for me could have been so much better if they guy gave a damn and if we didn't basically write the same assignment program but in C/C++ instead of Java :-/

Also found this quite funny! I went to one of those free posting sites. And posted my job requirements as well as what I was getting paid yearly at my last job. I got 2 generic recruiting agencies reply and then one classic that I will post in a second.

I knew I wasn't getting fair pay for all the work I was doing and this only confirms it lol

Are you fucking retard?

£14000 for all that shit? Do you think you are hiring ni**ers from Africa or what?

Just die.

BBS Signature
deckheadtottie
deckheadtottie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 59
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Jan. 11th, 2011 @ 12:20 PM Reply

At 1/10/11 05:36 PM, McPaper wrote: What was that programming excercise?

Just writing a simple...ish console application in VB. Nothing particularly taxing about it, but I still wasn't expecting 100%.

So that means I can't fail Introduction to Programming. Not that it was my intention, anyway.

#coys

BBS Signature
DannyIsOnFire
DannyIsOnFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Jan. 12th, 2011 @ 05:37 AM Reply

At 1/7/11 08:05 PM, tyler2513 wrote: What console should I get Dreamcast or Playstation 2? I have Gamecube but the PS2 had video RAM 4 MB while the Dreamcast has Video RAM 8 mb?

I had a 360 a while ago but sold it and have a PS2 these days. The games are great, even though it's an ageing console and there's at least forty that are well worth picking up (on the cheap I might add) and playing.

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature
McPaper
McPaper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Jan. 12th, 2011 @ 10:47 AM Reply

Just though I would share to the web designers here.

http://www.slideshare.net/bryanrieger/re thinking-the-mobile-web-by-yiibu

It's pretty old but it's still cool.

BBS Signature
Conal
Conal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Jan. 13th, 2011 @ 04:35 PM Reply

Hey, I've got two servers on opposite ends of the planet, any idea as to how I can get them to use the same domain & share the same file data? I need it to work like this encase one of them goes down.

There is a phpBB forum on the site too.

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
citricsquid
citricsquid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Jan. 13th, 2011 @ 06:22 PM Reply

Conal, that's actually the "golden" question when it comes to server management. There are many many approaches, anywhere from mirroring data live or having systematic backups.

The most important question: how much redundancy do you really need? If you're just running a small hobby site, save yourself some time and money and just take automatic backups every hour and if you want, mirror them remotely. If you're running your own server it's very unlikely you'll ever need to fall back onto another.

Also worth looking into redundant DNS, DNS is the biggest problem with redundancy as lots of providers cache for multiple hours (some even days) and that ruins any redundancy.

So yeah, if you can elaborate on:

1. What level of redundancy do you need?
2. Are you willing to spend money?
3. How "in sync" does the data need to be, is hourly okay? Must it be instant? Daily?

CronoMan
CronoMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Jan. 14th, 2011 @ 04:34 AM Reply

If it's windows servers use Distributed File System Replication (DFS)
If *nix use DRBD

"no sound in ass"

Conal
Conal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Jan. 14th, 2011 @ 06:08 PM Reply

At 1/13/11 06:22 PM, citricsquid wrote: So yeah, if you can elaborate on:
1. What level of redundancy do you need?

You tell me? :3

2. Are you willing to spend money?

Maybe a little, as a last resort.

3. How "in sync" does the data need to be, is hourly okay? Must it be instant? Daily?

As instant as possible for free.

At 1/14/11 04:34 AM, CronoMan wrote: If it's windows servers use Distributed File System Replication (DFS)
If *nix use DRBD

I might try that, but I access the servers through FTP & their interface, I don't have the servers in my possession.

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
MetalDart
MetalDart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Jan. 15th, 2011 @ 03:16 PM Reply

Hey, I was wondering if someone could walk me through my java homework and explain processes to me. I am not looking for the answers, just more of the process.

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /777777
http://metaldart.webs.com/ My freewebs website. Check it out dog.
My old NG profile ID: 1321019

BBS Signature
SeeD419
SeeD419
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Jan. 15th, 2011 @ 08:55 PM Reply

Hey guys, I've just recently dove into programming. The farthest I've gone before this is HTML, but I'm comfortable with the way it works.

I've got Eclipse and Netbeans for now and the tutorials on Sun's website are not as helpful as I wish they were. So I was wondering if someone experienced with Java can point me in the right direction. Should I just head to the bookstore? Or is there a really good website one of you know about for Java beginners?

Just looking for a few pointers. No programming pun intended...

Minecraft server: proxa.co
PortalWatch 0.1 Alpha - Download
Sig by illicit

BBS Signature
Jon-86
Jon-86
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Jan. 22nd, 2011 @ 12:04 AM Reply

It depends on what your looking for. I've never bought a book in my life. Library's exist for a reason! I would say just go with tutorials to learn the core concepts. Books do tent to have small sample projects for you to work on. Looking at code can help but I have to disagree the Sun site was helpful for me!

Anyway

This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsPX0nElJ 0k might be a bit gimmicky but I think it might actually be an interesting thing to try out. Anyone else heard of it or other ideas long that line?

BBS Signature
kiwi-kiwi
kiwi-kiwi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Jan. 22nd, 2011 @ 02:45 PM Reply

At 1/22/11 12:04 AM, Jon-86 wrote: This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsPX0nElJ 0k might be a bit gimmicky but I think it might actually be an interesting thing to try out. Anyone else heard of it or other ideas long that line?

I have, the beta is out if you want to try it.
Personally I like the idea, but I'll have to try it before I can pronounce myself, because even if the idea is nice, it might still be slow or have other drawbacks.

Anyway found this today and I thought you guys might be interested, it's an attempt to build a car via genetic algorithms.

deckheadtottie
deckheadtottie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 59
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Feb. 11th, 2011 @ 02:21 PM Reply

I was wondering you if chaps could help me out as part of a little written project I'm doing for uni.

In regards to online "cloud" storage (Dropbox, Microsoft SkyDrive, Box.net etc) do you feel that there is something missing from these products? I guess what I'm asking is, what will make online storage absolutely perfect for you? it can be absolutely anything you want, even if it's currently impossible.

Thank you, chaps.

#coys

BBS Signature
LordAba
LordAba
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Feb. 11th, 2011 @ 10:05 PM Reply

At 2/11/11 02:21 PM, deckheadtottie wrote: I guess what I'm asking is, what will make online storage absolutely perfect for you?

Erm... absolute privacy and protection.

What may man within him hide, though angel on the outward side.

BBS Signature
Jon-86
Jon-86
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Feb. 13th, 2011 @ 09:42 AM Reply

At 2/11/11 02:21 PM, deckheadtottie wrote: Thank you, chaps.

"Cloud" is a bloody marketing term by my account! A user-friendly word to be used in adverts. The services out their these days are offering one or two things. Basically a network drive that syncs your files. The only difference is that networked drive happens to be on a SAN instead of a local NAS or even your hard drive.

And I ask you whats the point? Its a convenient way to save people using FTP and thats about it it seems. Anybody who has to be on the move will just take their laptop with them or store their big files (video, images, audio) on a portable drive. Email can be accessed through webmail.

I know Google is pushing their goal for cloud computing (real cloud computing where processing is done online and is shared) by actually developing an OS to support it. But these services offer no benefit that I can see. Its not an instant thing because data still has to travel across the network when its being synced.

Really the best option out their for the average user who needs to work on the go is Gmail and Google docs. No need to Sync anything or dropbox your files for later as google docs lets you edit / share online. Gmail lets you communicate. Wave is still not ready yet but its basically an amazing combination of the two.

Maybe that sounds like a rant... I'll let you be the judge... But when your selling rdesktop with terible ads like this, trying to cash-in on the cloud, can you blame me?

BBS Signature
CronoMan
CronoMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Feb. 15th, 2011 @ 07:03 AM Reply

At 2/11/11 02:21 PM, deckheadtottie wrote: I guess what I'm asking is, what will make online storage absolutely perfect for you?

Drag and drop

"no sound in ass"

Shakyjake
Shakyjake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Programmer
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Feb. 15th, 2011 @ 01:04 PM Reply

At 2/11/11 02:21 PM, deckheadtottie wrote: what will make online storage absolutely perfect for you?

A decent internet connection, everywhere and at all times. This is the only thing that would make it practical and worthwhile.

What's the point of having your files accessible from anywhere when you're going to be hit with a massive data charge for using mobile internet or have to wait for ages to get acess to your stuff.

Online storage is an answer to a question that has been answered a thousand times before. We already have USB sticks, portable hard drives, XD cards, SD Cards, Mini SD Cards, Micro SD Cards and SDHC Cards.

Then of course there's always going to be security and privacy issues.

I just think it's an impractical gimmick.

Jon-86
Jon-86
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Programming Regs Lounge Feb. 15th, 2011 @ 04:01 PM Reply

At 2/15/11 01:04 PM, Shakyjake wrote: What's the point of having your files accessible from anywhere when you're going to be hit with a massive data charge for using mobile internet or have to wait for ages to get acess to your stuff.

I knew I saved this for a reason...

Programming Regs Lounge

BBS Signature