New Topic Respond to this Topic
MarijuanaClock
MarijuanaClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-24 05:01:55 Reply

I'm not a regular nor do I have respect and notoriety in this forum ........... yet I've posted in this thread!

Sweet Jesus what have I done! The universe will implode!

House-Of-Leaves
House-Of-Leaves
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-24 05:09:14 Reply

At 3/24/03 05:01 AM, MarijuanaClock wrote: I'm not a regular nor do I have respect and notoriety in this forum ........... yet I've posted in this thread!

*lol* Actually, Juana? You're a regular in my book. You and I had some fabulous posting sprees a while back!

Ted-Easton
Ted-Easton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-24 07:07:28 Reply

Who cares about them using women and children as human shields? We're sending them human shields! Providing them, even.
All those international peace protestors, getting in the way.
pffft

House-Of-Leaves
House-Of-Leaves
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-24 07:22:16 Reply

At 3/24/03 07:07 AM, Ted_Easton wrote: Who cares about them using women and children as human shields? We're sending them human shields! Providing them, even.
All those international peace protestors, getting in the way.
pffft

Actually...I do. I care about the Iraqi women and children. They're innocent. In my heart of hearts I can't say 'so what?' about that. It's not in me.

What will they do about it? I don't know. I'm not war strategist. I hope they do something, though, that will spare them as much as possible.

Mr-Y
Mr-Y
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-24 08:35:01 Reply

At 3/24/03 04:41 AM, House_Of_Leaves wrote: They've also started using women and children as human shields.

I'm getting angrier by the day.

That reminds me of what they did in Somalia in "Black Hawk Down" - I don't think they showed it in the movie - I remember women and children shooting guns in the movie, but I don't remember them being used as human shields. But, on CNN, I think when they were showing a documentary of it ("CNN Presents"), I heard that that's what they did.

Using the enemy as human shields is ok (I think you can do that in Splinter Cell), since you can stop them from firing and killing thier friend, but using your own people is not reasonable, especially when they're civilians, since chances are that your enemy's not going to stop, since the people used are not one of them, so those civilians have are not given much of a chance to decide between survival and death, especially when the people who are using them are madly firing toward their enemy to piss them off.

Mr-Y
Mr-Y
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-24 08:37:23 Reply

At 3/24/03 12:27 AM, NEMESiSZ wrote: Yeah, unless you have Russian GPS Jamming systems.

Yeah, and also if you use GPS guided missiles there should also be a numerous number of civilian casualties, if it's in the middle of a city and not deep inside a military compound. But, I guess air strikes result in the same thing. There are just some things you can't prevent.

House-Of-Leaves
House-Of-Leaves
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-24 08:39:25 Reply

At 3/24/03 08:35 AM, Mr_Y wrote:
Using the enemy as human shields is ok (I think you can do that in Splinter Cell), since you can stop them from firing and killing thier friend, but using your own people is not reasonable,

I understand your reasoning, but I can't say I agree. I don't think using ANY human being, friend or foe, as a human shield is acceptable warfare tactics.

I do understand why you'd say that, tho. So, really, it's just differences in ideals.

TheShrike
TheShrike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-24 08:55:36 Reply

At 3/24/03 08:39 AM, House_Of_Leaves wrote: I understand your reasoning, but I can't say I agree. I don't think using ANY human being, friend or foe, as a human shield is acceptable warfare tactics.

War is hell, man.
But if they use Iraqis as sheilds, it just makes them look all the more desparate and incapable.

"A witty quote proves nothing."
~Voltaire

BBS Signature
House-Of-Leaves
House-Of-Leaves
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-24 08:59:37 Reply

At 3/24/03 08:55 AM, TheShrike wrote:
At 3/24/03 08:39 AM, House_Of_Leaves wrote: I understand your reasoning, but I can't say I agree. I don't think using ANY human being, friend or foe, as a human shield is acceptable warfare tactics.
War is hell, man.
But if they use Iraqis as sheilds, it just makes them look all the more desparate and incapable.

Psst. I'm a girl. ;)

And I agree with you there. All sorts of things happen in war, most of them horrible. But I don't have to like them.

TheShrike
TheShrike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-24 09:30:39 Reply

So I see. Nice pic of Betty Page in your profile.

~Voltaire

BBS Signature
JMHX
JMHX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-24 09:35:40 Reply

*stretch* It's been a good three day vacation from the forums, thanks in part to a horrible DSL modem and the will to get away from the screen for a few days. It's been warm here, so I've been out enjoying the weather. I'm back, though; back in my cave to appease all of you with more ranting.

*yawn* The country is still here, right?

BBS Signature
PreacherJ
PreacherJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-24 13:48:48 Reply

I've been gone, too... non-internet-related problems at home... ugh... I'm so frayed right now... I'm at school right now for a few brief moments of serenity. Well, I'f I'd been here, Judge, I'd have missed you.

I prolly won't be on for awhile more, really. Too much to sort out and clean up. The whole family's falling apart, you see.

NJDeadzone
NJDeadzone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-24 15:04:04 Reply

At 3/24/03 05:01 AM, MarijuanaClock wrote: I'm not a regular nor do I have respect and notoriety in this forum ........... yet I've posted in this thread!

nah, just a select few egoes

House-Of-Leaves
House-Of-Leaves
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-24 17:26:14 Reply

At 3/24/03 09:30 AM, TheShrike wrote: So I see. Nice pic of Betty Page in your profile.

*lol* Thanks! :) I happen to like it, too.

Mr-Y
Mr-Y
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-24 22:25:20 Reply

I do understand why you'd say that, tho. So, really, it's just differences in ideals.

Yeah, I guess I'd probably use it too if I was that desparate... I guess that you're right... but if I was thinking that many of you may have problems with people using your own allies as shields... I do it in paintball all the time- lol that's how I get a lot of my kills.

It's a low way of fighting, but like my friend says, "If it's stupid, but works, it's not stupid".

Mr-Y
Mr-Y
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-24 22:26:26 Reply

At 3/24/03 08:55 AM, TheShrike wrote: War is hell, man.

Yeah, like I said, that's a pretty low way to go for soldiers to betray their allies like that - just proves them to be really desparate. Well, but in many cases there's a guy that doesn't know what he's doing and stands in front of another guy to take a bullet by mistake. Being forced to be a human shield is worse, since you don't have a choice , but the outcome is the same, right? You've just saved some pussy you hardly even know's live, with your own.

Bulletproof riot cop shields like the ones in Crisis Zone are good, but they don't help much when there's an RPG heading toward you or a grenade with no pin tossed right next to you, but neither do humans.

Mr-Y
Mr-Y
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-24 22:45:45 Reply

At 3/24/03 10:25 PM, Mr_Y wrote:

Yeah, I guess I'd probably use it too if I was that desparate... I guess that you're right... but if I was thinking that many of you may have problems with people using your own allies as shields... I do it in paintball all the time- lol that's how I get a lot of my kills.

It's a low way of fighting, but like my friend says, "If it's stupid, but works, it's not stupid".

O no lol sry I read it wrong, since I was reading your post... "I don't think using ANY..." Oh sry... LoL... wrong response... ok... here's a new one...

Well, I understand that you feel sorry for the people. I don't think using allies is a good idea, that's the most desparate way you can ever go. Yeah, it's low, I only do it in paintball... :D and that doesn't do anything to anyone, since paintball bullets, unless if they hit bare skin, go away after a really short time, they don't kill.

Using enemies, on the other hand, like Sam Fisher, is a good way to play mind games with your enemy. If you're enemy's that bad as to killing their own teammates to get a desparate attempt to kill you, that's their problem. It's like running a tank over your own soldier just to get across a bridge.

mysecondstar
mysecondstar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-25 03:16:05 Reply

At 3/24/03 08:37 AM, Mr_Y wrote:
At 3/24/03 12:27 AM, NEMESiSZ wrote: Yeah, unless you have Russian GPS Jamming systems.
Yeah, and also if you use GPS guided missiles there should also be a numerous number of civilian casualties, if it's in the middle of a city and not deep inside a military compound. But, I guess air strikes result in the same thing. There are just some things you can't prevent.

you do know these munnitions are able to hit a target within one meter of its exact target and at such a trajectory to avoid accidents like that. do they happen? apparently yes. once. out of, gah, how many thousands? not only that but these munnitions could also prevent "splash" damage or damaged caused by a huge explosion. it could go from room to room in its precision. dozens of missles have been launched at the Presidential compound which is 1 1/2 miles long yet it still stands. just makes you think a little.

JMHX
JMHX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-25 08:12:32 Reply

The more I watch us roll towards Baghdad in tanks, the worse feeling I get about what's waiting for us with the Republican Guard. Man, if they pull anything, it's going to be bombing like no one's ever SEEN. Sure I'm anti-war, but I'm all for not taking shit from them and just VAPORIZING THE BASTARDS.

By the way, Iraqi missiles are filled with popcorn, and the intention was to get a Patriot to hit them and pop it so they'd have food.

*runs away like a girl*

BBS Signature
Der-Ubermensch
Der-Ubermensch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-25 08:23:58 Reply

At 3/25/03 08:12 AM, JudgeMeHarshX wrote: The more I watch us roll towards Baghdad in tanks, the worse feeling I get about what's waiting for us with the Republican Guard. Man, if they pull anything, it's going to be bombing like no one's ever SEEN. Sure I'm anti-war, but I'm all for not taking shit from them and just VAPORIZING THE BASTARDS.

This war would most definitely be alot easier if the "elite" republican Guard wouldnn't be comprised of so many cowards. The final days of this so called war are going to be total urban warfare, a bloody mess. Iraqi soldiers will be taking refuge in civilian homes. How dare the coalition governments say there won't be a horde of civilian corpses; its just inevitable in this scenario.

TheShrike
TheShrike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-25 11:25:43 Reply

it would seem to me that what they'll probably do is try and surround the US troops after the real fighting in/near Baghdad starts.

I say this because there are still numbers of Iraqi troops that aren't accounted for in the news. Those who deserted their posts, etc. And the 'Kansas Krew" As I like to think of them got captured after a wrong turn. Iraqi troops keep melting back into Baghdad, but there are still forces in the desert, and some fighting near Kuwait.
What does everyone think of that theory?

I think it'll be very entertaining to watch their army fall apart after they try something funny.
They keep going on about us being crushed, and that is to be expected, but I still get the feeling they have an ace up their collective sleeves. (Or possibly a 3 of clubs)

~Voltaire

BBS Signature
JMHX
JMHX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-25 13:25:56 Reply

At 3/25/03 11:25 AM, TheShrike wrote: And the 'Kansas Krew" As I like to think of them got captured after a wrong turn.

You'd think with all the "Military Intelligence" that someone would be able to read a map.

BBS Signature
mysecondstar
mysecondstar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-25 15:46:18 Reply

At 3/25/03 01:25 PM, JudgeMeHarshX wrote:
At 3/25/03 11:25 AM, TheShrike wrote: And the 'Kansas Krew" As I like to think of them got captured after a wrong turn.
You'd think with all the "Military Intelligence" that someone would be able to read a map.

as dim-witted as that move may have been, it's hard to navigate in a sea of sand with no markers or landmarks to negotiate yourself out of a wrong turn. i'd say cut them a little slack.

Mr-Y
Mr-Y
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-25 19:32:49 Reply

At 3/25/03 03:16 AM, mysecondstar wrote: you do know these munnitions are able to hit a target within one meter of its exact target and at such a trajectory to avoid accidents like that. do they happen? apparently yes. once. out of, gah, how many thousands? not only that but these munnitions could also prevent "splash" damage or damaged caused by a huge explosion. it could go from room to room in its precision. dozens of missles have been launched at the Presidential compound which is 1 1/2 miles long yet it still stands. just makes you think a little.

Ok, I guess I was talking about the wrong type of weapon. Never mind - Yeah, the great things technology nowadays brings us. And the variety of new ways you can die, too.

NEMESiSZ
NEMESiSZ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-25 20:53:48 Reply

Those guys are a disgrace...we give them cyanide pills for a reason, don't we?

mysecondstar
mysecondstar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-26 03:33:10 Reply

At 3/25/03 08:53 PM, NEMESiSZ wrote: Those guys are a disgrace...we give them cyanide pills for a reason, don't we?

well i'm sure if we threw you into the middle of the desert in a middle of a sandstorm we'll see how well you can navigate through that. it's a mistake that happens. unfortunately, they made that mistake at the wrong place at the wrong time. perhaps we would put robots out there so they don't screw up like us humans? right...

mysecondstar
mysecondstar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-26 03:51:50 Reply

At 3/25/03 07:32 PM, Mr_Y wrote: Ok, I guess I was talking about the wrong type of weapon. Never mind - Yeah, the great things technology nowadays brings us. And the variety of new ways you can die, too.

what wonders never cease. as i'm sure you know there is the MOAB (mother of all bombs) that is roughly the power of the Fat Man/Little Boy nuclear bombs without the obvious side effect of radiation. but we won't use that in Iraq because we need the civilians there to actually like us when we get there instead of having them drag Marines through the streets of Baghdad a la Mogadishu, Somalia. which is, of course, the whole reason why we use these GPS guided munnitions. if you limit the casualties caused by our bombing, they'll love us. and that's exactly what we want from them.

and let's not forget about the stuff on the ground. the M1A1 Abrams battle tank not only fires 120 mm shells but with incredible accuracy with its computerized targetting and laser rangefinders and two massive machine guns: a .50 cal. (scary. it'll rip through flesh like rice paper) and a 7.62 mm. all in all, a technilogical marvel of efficient killing.

the Apache attack helicopter got revamped from 1991 to 2003. it can now classify 120 different targets using its radar, decifer the most threatening targets, and transmit all the info to all the other helicopters with him and start an attack all within 30-45 seconds. amazing.

hmm, what else is there. plenty, and i'm sure i can go on forever with this stuff, but maybe later. but like i said before. the wonder that is the US military never ceases to amaze.

JMHX
JMHX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-26 10:11:59 Reply

I thought I'd share my 1,000th post with the thread that I created. All 6 pages of it. Mwahahaaahahaha! 1,000!! It's only taken me the better part of a month or two.

BBS Signature
Dig-the-Man
Dig-the-Man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-26 17:11:29 Reply

Has anyone thought to create a new club... a politics club or something. Just thought I would throw the hat into the ring for a few reasons.

Reason #1: Easier communication between regular contributors to the Politics Forum ie. through chat.
Reason #2: Events! Why couldn't the political guru's have events here on Newgrounds?
Reason #3: The Club could create a blog and allow us to better expand out ideas and opinions.

Again, just thought I would tote the idea...

Ted-Easton
Ted-Easton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-26 20:26:49 Reply

You may see a ying yang in mine and other's signatures.
This is the symbol of the Politics Crew, an organization for exactly that.
Tell me if you wish to apply to join, and I'll look over your posts and issue my verdict. :)