New Topic Respond to this Topic
Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-15 00:13:50 Reply

At 2/14/13 07:48 PM, LordJaric wrote: Don't you hate pedestrians that don't have any courtesy for drivers?

Seriously. Almost as bad as bicyclists.

I was a master pedestrian back in Seattle, and it's easy. You can game the traffic lights and get places lickety-split without having to jaywalk. It's as if some people believe the world is their sidewalk and that cars will always see them and stop for them.

theburningliberal
theburningliberal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-15 01:08:55 Reply

So...

First a little background on me... I'm in the process of getting divorced, pretty much just waiting for her to sign and paying alimony until the divorce is final. She stated at one point that she intended to 'bleed me dry' if I left her, and considering how pathetic my paychecks usually are, she seems to be getting her way. Nevertheless, in a little over a year I can have the judge finalize the divorce without her consent, and I will be free.

I've moved on with my life since then. For those who don't know, I am in my second semester back in college, did really well last semester and I'm dong pretty good so far this term, and I'm looking forward to the life I am working to build. I'm really excited about it. But I need to build it before I can be ready to start again in the relationship department, and that means that i am actively trying not to get involved in a relationship.

Problem is, matters of the heart aren't always rational. This girl I went to high school with, she was a sophomore my senior year, always thought she was cool but didnt know her, like, really well in high school... Now I work with her, and I've worked with her a lot over the last six months... Usually in a job where we spend a lot of time talking, not only about work-related stuff but just talking in general... And I've started falling for her, and I'm starting to fall hard.

I don't want this. And not just for those reasons, she's engaged to a guy that I hung out with in high school. I definitely don't want to be that guy.

I guess my question is, how do you stop yourself from falling for someone?

LordJaric
LordJaric
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-15 02:01:27 Reply

At 2/15/13 01:08 AM, theburningliberal wrote: I guess my question is, how do you stop yourself from falling for someone?

You can't. You just have to live with your feelings.

Common sense isn't so common anymore
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"
Fanfiction Page

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-15 11:05:15 Reply

At 2/15/13 02:01 AM, LordJaric wrote: You can't. You just have to live with your feelings.

through intense self training you can block yourself from having affection for anyone.

I did... either that or i developed an emotional disorder. It might sound odd, but I don't feel affection for anyone. I have a girlfriend, she loves me to death, and apparently I have a bond with her because I visit her all the time and talk to her all the time. and even play team fortress 2 with her (she loves that game)... but i FEEL nothing. I know it's there, I just can't seem to feel it. or perhaps I do, but given that I went so long with absolutely no affection from anyone, I forgot what it felt like.

I'm also VERY protective of her. not jealous by any means, other guys can talk to her and I'm cool with it. make a threatening move and you got 270 pounds of pure rage aimed right at you.

as you can imagine, it drives me nuts to be cuddling with someone that I know I care for, but cannot seem to feel this emotional bond. and no, I would NEVER tell her this. I just accept it and live with it.

I'm not crazy, everyone else is.

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-16 09:38:42 Reply

some parents take the "child embarrassment" thing WAYYY too far.

morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-17 13:31:32 Reply

Hi All
I picked up my Ring (I'm getting married )
I couldn't find anything in a weding band I liked, so I decided to have one made.
I heard of this goldsmith from my coin dealer, who talked me out of gettingit made of 14K & I went with 10k for durability.
I went with a 5/16th piece of wire rope, as a rigger I am handling wire rope constantly .
So I figured I'd take a used piece ,so it would have some character (bent pieces, dings etc) into him & see if he could do it.

So here it is, it weighs in at 25 grams & is 1 of a kind ~:)

- The Regulars Lounge Thread -

Those who have only the religious opinions of others in their head & worship them. Have no room for their own thoughts & no room to contemplate anyone elses ideas either-More

Cynical-Charlotte
Cynical-Charlotte
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Writer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-18 00:21:58 Reply

At 2/17/13 01:31 PM, morefngdbs wrote: I picked up my Ring (I'm getting married )

Congratulations!

"Yes!" - Fred Fredburger
CC | Nemesis | Lit Lovers | Ideas Worth Spreading

BBS Signature
Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-18 11:34:28 Reply

Supid cold. Nothing like a sore throat and general tired feeling to make you want to do absolutely nothing for a while.

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-18 11:58:40 Reply

At 2/18/13 11:34 AM, Camarohusky wrote: Supid cold. Nothing like a sore throat and general tired feeling to make you want to do absolutely nothing for a while.

don't feel too bad. i was up all night with swollen and sore tonsils... and i got a busy day ahead of me. in gamer's terms..

*open general inventory*
*find 5 hour energy*
*right click*
*click use*
"You sure?"
*click yes*
"Absolutely sure?"
*click yes*
"you know this stuff can kill you right?"
*click "just give me the fucking drink i got too much to do today to sleep in"*
*chug*
ugh tastes like shit.

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-18 19:31:09 Reply

so question.

why the hell is this on the front page of a news corporation's website?

leanlifter1
leanlifter1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-18 20:02:28 Reply

At 2/18/13 07:31 PM, Korriken wrote: so question.

why the hell is this on the front page of a news corporation's website?

News corps are there to mislead ad blind the population from the truth so the corps and Military can continue on maximizing profit for the few. STFU and watch some zombies pleb while the power elite rape your children's country's futures.

BBS Signature
Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-19 00:00:25 Reply

Ok so I'm struggling with this, and perhaps this shows my utter lack of knowledge on the issue.

I'm working on my story idea, and I've begun to flesh out everything and decided to fill in some details I left out. Many details were simple to fill in until I got to the topic of how much the female characters weighed.

I decided to go with a typical 'ideal body weight' chart. one of my characters stands at 6'4". the chart says she should weigh about 168 pounds.

that sound about right? she's not some scrawny barbie doll. If you need to know about what kind of figure she'll have, according to this chart, it would be closest to the ruler body shape.

LordJaric
LordJaric
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-19 01:13:52 Reply

Anyone else find it funny the number of people freaking out over all the meteors being reported.

Common sense isn't so common anymore
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"
Fanfiction Page

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 44
Programmer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-19 15:13:47 Reply

So I was stuck in the middle of no where in the country and there was a no travel advisory and 3 people died on the interstate. it was a about -12 but it was -30 with the wind chill blowing at 40MPH, I was stuck so I walked to the nearest farm and budged myself in asking if I could stay till I get warm and my old man comes to get me unstuck, the farmers were nice enough to USE THEIR TRACTORS to get me unstuck. the only shitty thing to come out of it Ive got some serious frostbite on my left hand and it still tingles and hurts when flex my digits.

Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-19 16:48:03 Reply

At 2/19/13 03:13 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: So I was stuck in the middle of no where in the country and there was a no travel advisory and 3 people died on the interstate. it was a about -12 but it was -30 with the wind chill blowing at 40MPH, I was stuck so I walked to the nearest farm and budged myself in asking if I could stay till I get warm and my old man comes to get me unstuck, the farmers were nice enough to USE THEIR TRACTORS to get me unstuck. the only shitty thing to come out of it Ive got some serious frostbite on my left hand and it still tingles and hurts when flex my digits.

I hope you didn't really get frost bite - that can get nasty if not attended to by a doctor! I once nearly had it on my nose - the tip of my nose turned white when I did a run on a really cold day at the mountain. Frostbite can cause nerve damage and even necrosis because it's literally the water in your cells freezing into ice - the ice crystals puncture the cell walls and do all sorts of bad stuff.

I did have to deal with a stuck car while I was home last weekend. I flew in for a wedding and one of the guests drove up from NYC and her truck got a flat tire just before she got into town. So I drove out with my brother-in-law to help change the tire. It was one of the colder days at -10 out. My noes got a little cold since I was wearing leather sneaker type slip on shoes instead of winter boots.

¥ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ¥
¥ ¥
Blag [updated: 4/20/2014] ¥ ¥

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 44
Programmer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-19 17:24:01 Reply

At 2/19/13 04:48 PM, Malachy wrote: I hope you didn't really get frost bite - that can get nasty if not attended to by a doctor! I once nearly had it on my nose - the tip of my nose turned white when I did a run on a really cold day at the mountain. Frostbite can cause nerve damage and even necrosis because it's literally the water in your cells freezing into ice - the ice crystals puncture the cell walls and do all sorts of bad stuff.

yeah I got cuts on my hands and its really agitated I was thinking about the doctor but they are just red and shiny and it still uncomfortable when I flex them.

I did have to deal with a stuck car while I was home last weekend. I flew in for a wedding and one of the guests drove up from NYC and her truck got a flat tire just before she got into town. So I drove out with my brother-in-law to help change the tire. It was one of the colder days at -10 out. My noes got a little cold since I was wearing leather sneaker type slip on shoes instead of winter boots.

LOL -10 in NY thats nothing, go to my thread Blizzard thread in general with all the pics I have. hell 3 people died just yesterday from car accidents and 2 from the cold.

Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-19 17:40:48 Reply

At 2/19/13 05:24 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: LOL -10 in NY thats nothing, go to my thread Blizzard thread in general with all the pics I have. hell 3 people died just yesterday from car accidents and 2 from the cold.

10 below isn't too bad for that area - they had a day that was -32 degrees. Even got on the Today show or something for being the coldest place in the US. The day I got frost nip on my nose it was -20 out - it just so happened my ski mask didn't cover the very tip of my nose.

Windchill is a misleading number - the temperature isn't actually any colder - it's more of a measure of how it "feels" to a person.

Also, why the fuck are people crashing their cars? When it's that cold it doesn't snow and you don't get black ice since there isn't any thawing-freezing going on throughout the day

¥ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ¥
¥ ¥
Blag [updated: 4/20/2014] ¥ ¥

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 44
Programmer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-19 17:47:04 Reply

At 2/19/13 05:40 PM, Malachy wrote: Windchill is a misleading number - the temperature isn't actually any colder - it's more of a measure of how it "feels" to a person.

it just augments the cold against the skin.

Also, why the fuck are people crashing their cars? When it's that cold it doesn't snow and you don't get black ice since there isn't any thawing-freezing going on throughout the day

no we had 10 inches that day had zero visibility because the wind was blowing 40+ MPH.

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 44
Programmer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-20 15:49:21 Reply

though in all seriousness with that weather I would have died the temp was -45, if that farmer didn't help me I could have died.

morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-20 16:11:39 Reply

At 2/20/13 03:49 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: though in all seriousness with that weather I would have died the temp was -45, if that farmer didn't help me I could have died.

;;;
Windchill isn't a misleading number, it affects a living orgaism as if its colder.
It affects how much heat it takes to keep ,say your house warm, as the wind speedgets into the nooks & crannies ,helping push out the warm air & its this accelerated loss that makes it more difficult for animals (& that's us too) to stay warm. We have to seek shelter.

On a fun note (pun intended) I read a story that someone up north left some of our new composite Canadian bills (they are made of a plastic type stuff) in minus 40 teperatures & when they went to pick it up it exploded into small slivers ~:)

I wonder why they didn't test the notes with cold , after all this is Canada .

Those who have only the religious opinions of others in their head & worship them. Have no room for their own thoughts & no room to contemplate anyone elses ideas either-More

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-20 16:24:07 Reply

Actually wind chill has zero effect on the real temperature. It doesn't take into effect the blowing around of warmer air or any of that. It's nothin other than the same effect that a fan (which does not lower the temp) or putting your face near an open window in a moving car. The only effect that happens is evaporation. The movement of the air causes an increase of evaporation in the moisture in ourbodies. When that moisture evaporates energy (in th form of heat) is used at a quicker rate and thus we feel cooler, even though the temperature has not changed at all.

If you were to find a way to be completely in the lee of the wind on a wind chill day, you would only notice one tempature, the real temperature, not the wind chill.

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 44
Programmer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-20 17:27:17 Reply

well I got frostbite on my left hand littered with purple coloring and pain.

RydiaLockheart
RydiaLockheart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-21 20:59:55 Reply

Ouch. I've been close to frostbite a few times and it's not fun.

Rings with character are kinda cool. My engagement and wedding ring are not completely round. They're straight on the bottom, so they're kind of like a closed-in letter U. My husband got my engagement ring from a local jeweler who's done rings for all the men in his family. We went to him for the wedding rings too. His wedding ring is round. Guess he just makes women's rings that way.

morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-22 10:44:16 Reply

At 2/21/13 08:59 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote: Rings with character are kinda cool. My engagement and wedding ring are not completely round. They're straight on the bottom, so they're kind of like a closed-in letter U. My husband got my engagement ring from a local jeweler

;;;
Got a photo ?
love to see one.
I'll see if I can get a shot of my first wedding band. I had 4 of them made 3 in 10 k gold for my brothers as a present who would stand for me & 1 in 14K for my actual wedding band.
I got rid of mine when I got divorced, but I seen on at my brothers just the other day.

I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to personal jewelry, I don't buy off the rack. IF it isn't unusal I won't own/wear it , except one - for a ring my daughters gave me for my birthday with my birthstone in it ...kinda can't help but make adjustments to my personal taste, for my kids.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-22 10:51:43 Reply

At 2/22/13 10:44 AM, morefngdbs wrote: I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to personal jewelry, I don't buy off the rack. IF it isn't unusal I won't own/wear it , except one - for a ring my daughters gave me for my birthday with my birthstone in it ...kinda can't help but make adjustments to my personal taste, for my kids.

I got my wife a black pearl ring for our wedding. I had to get a relatively cheap one because I couldn't afford the Mikimoto ones (and still can't, and likely won't for another 10 years). While it is very unique and she loves it, she never wears it. Pearl rings just aren't sturdy enough to be wedding rings. She's popped the pearl off twice just doing regular things and now inorder to keep it safe, she just keeps the ring in her valuables box with the jewelry she got from her grandparaents and other small keepsakes. She only wears it once or twice a year for special occasions, like fancy dinners and our anniversary. Someday I want to spend some money to get it put in a display box so at least it will be out in the open. Maybe at one of the milestone anniversaries I'll get her a strudier ring for her to wear on a regular basis.

Oh, she does wear her wedding band though. Looks like a small ring of power, but white.

morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-22 11:23:25 Reply

At 2/22/13 10:51 AM, Camarohusky wrote: Oh, she does wear her wedding band though. Looks like a small ring of power, but white.

;;;
That sounds like a really cool ring though.
I personally haven't seen ma pearl rings & your reasoning makes sense.
got a photo ?

I bought my honey's wedding band its platinum with a dozen small canadian diamonds
to go with her white gold solitar Canadian diamond ...I personally don't like diamonds as a stone, I know they are grossly mispriced .
But I figured -She really likes them - its traditional in her & my family going back to before our grandparents So i figured if I gotta get some I might as well get her Canadian ~;)

& she's a red head & her coloring goes so much better with silver as opposed to gold jewelry most of what she owns is of silver or white gold ...I did the platinum to be a bit different & cause shes special

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-24 13:20:11 Reply

so, last night was a terror hell work night that i hope to never repeat again, and if i get my way, won't. I've decided that March of each year I'm going to do something that by my standards is totally insane. Last year I moved to Texas. found love. this year I'm going to get a CDL despite me being terrified of the idea of driving a massive truck through city traffic. Might find a job I love.

Next year? who knows? I might see about getting my cartoon published after I finish a few episodes and some rough plot lines and just might find fame as well. I'm tired of the same old garbage being shoveled out and want to do something new and interesting. It's hard to find anything new that is actually good. most new music sucks horribly. most new television shows are trashy reality tv shows, and most cartoons are poorly animated fart joke whores... or i may learn to draw and do my own animation, though that would take a long freaking time to master, even then it would take forever to get 1 episode done, and that doesn't even include background music.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-24 14:22:46 Reply

At 2/22/13 11:23 AM, morefngdbs wrote: got a photo ?

Not a specific one, but I found one that's either it, or damn close.

But I figured -She really likes them - its traditional in her & my family going back to before our grandparents So i figured if I gotta get some I might as well get her Canadian ~;)

Tradition's always good. A piece with a backstory is 1,000 times better than one without, even a $50,000 one.

& she's a red head & her coloring goes so much better with silver as opposed to gold jewelry most of what she owns is of silver or white gold ...I did the platinum to be a bit different & cause shes special

I've always thought yellow gold was really gaudy. I like the more subdued feel of the silvery colors (silver, white gold, platinum).

- The Regulars Lounge Thread -

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-24 14:31:03 Reply

At 2/24/13 01:20 PM, Korriken wrote: this year I'm going to get a CDL despite me being terrified of the idea of driving a massive truck through city traffic.

Driving any trucks scare me. Way too topheavy. I prefer my cars hugging the pavement (then again, my first car was a whopping 49" tall.)

most new music sucks horribly.

Agreed. I think it's been well over a year since I have heard a new song on my own volition. Most music I listen to is as old as I am.

most new television shows are trashy reality tv shows

This I have to disagree with. I'm not much of a primetime TV show guy, but my parents are (medically addicted I believe) and there are some good gems that come out every year. Nothing to write home about, but definitely better than reality TV.

most cartoons are poorly animated fart joke whores...

Have you ever tried discovering old cartoons? Netflix has a HUGE base of cartoons to watch. I have been watching some of them with my kid and they're actually fairly entertaining for me as well. The new Ninja Turtles is fairly true to the old one in feel, unlike the stupid remakes in the early 2000s. Transformers prime and Super HEro Squad are pretty good, the first being all of the plot Micheal Bay couldn't find a way to explode into his movies, and the latter being a parody of Marvel Comics. The Aquabats show is pretty funny, but it's only one season so far.

Just remember, something doesn't have to be new for it to be new to you.

morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-24 16:08:31 Reply

At 2/24/13 02:22 PM, Camarohusky wrote: Not a specific one, but I found one that's either it, or damn close.

;;;
that's really quite nice IMO. simplistic designs like that are what I usually favor.
;;;
THe one my mother wears was bought in the late 50's for 35.00 & they talk about what a great deal it was because it was a $75.00 ring but who ever put the down payment on it so they would order it in... never returned so the jeweler gave my dad a break on the price.

I've always thought yellow gold was really gaudy. I like the more subdued feel of the silvery colors (silver, white gold, platinum).

I find its more about the coloring of the person wearing it & or other considerations like clothing. But when you are pale skinned (like a redhead/blond usually is) gold does IMO also look a bit gaudy, silver is a better color bbecause of their skin tone