New Topic Respond to this Topic
TheMason
TheMason
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-03 01:41:07 Reply

At 2/2/13 03:45 PM, Camarohusky wrote: I'm lucky I abandoned my hopes for a PhD early on. I didn't think I could handle the pure amount of writing, so, naturally, I went to law school... (where you write a ton)

I talked to a few law students when I was in grad school. They said it was crazy competitive...people tearing pages out of library books so other students wouldn't get the info (and thereby get ahead).

But hey...they could've been exaggerating, right?

The writing doesn't bother me...I love to write (hence my very long and boring posts!)...it's the math that got me. Once we got into the higher order stats I just struggled. I understand what they are saying...just performing the operations gets me befuddled.

That's why if I ever complete a PhD it'll be in history!

Debunking conspiracy theories for the New World Order since 1995...
" I hereby accuse you attempting to silence me..." --PurePress

BBS Signature
TheMason
TheMason
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-03 01:43:38 Reply

At 2/2/13 03:04 PM, theburningliberal wrote: The programs are also more interconnected now, too. It's easier and faster to insert a chart or graph into a word document using excel. Still haven't tried the other programs yet, but here's an interesting link:

Cool, I'll have to look into it. I'm more of a Word and PPT guy myself. (I love being able to include video and humorous slides into my lessons!)

BBS Signature
Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-03 02:30:54 Reply

At 2/2/13 09:44 AM, theburningliberal wrote: Perhaps the biggest change, overall, though, is that instead of just charging one price for it, you can now get MSOffice as a subscription service for like 10$ a month. Once I get some cash together, I am actually going to get the student discount, which gives me 4 years of the subscription service for 80$ (versus 480$ at 10/month or 400$ at 100$/year). The subscription service entitles you to all the updates, features, help, etc.. for Office programs, including, I think, next-version upgrades.

Everything is becoming some monthly subscription these days. Netflix, Streaming-audio like Pandora/Spotify, HBO (cable add-on), and now software - isn't Adobe playing with a subscription model for the CS6 programs as well? Sometimes I feel like it's easy to lose sight of how much you're actually spending on these services. If I told you that Netflix was $120 up front - would you think more on it before committing? $9.99 a month sounds nicer (probably why it's popular with companies).

For students Office 365 seems like a good idea - you only plan on using it for a few years at most and you are transient and switching machines all the time. But then again, I got Adobe CS3 Master Suite for $100 with a student discount years ago and a full version of MS office for like $10 per computer in college from my school. I can't really say what I'd do if I were entering school today. I might be interested in a subscription that I could start and stop as needed like if I go into the working world and my work computer comes with all the stuff I need, why would I need a personal subscription.

¥ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ¥
¥ ¥
Blag [updated: 4/20/2014] ¥ ¥

BBS Signature
Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-03 07:05:25 Reply

At 2/3/13 01:02 AM, Iron-Hampster wrote: @Korri what do you make your sculptures out of?

clay.

I'm not crazy, everyone else is.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-03 11:41:17 Reply

At 2/3/13 01:41 AM, TheMason wrote: I talked to a few law students when I was in grad school. They said it was crazy competitive...people tearing pages out of library books so other students wouldn't get the info (and thereby get ahead).

Can, but the school I went to was known for having a pretty cooperative atmosphere. Then again, I was never really competition. I'm 1000 times better at actual lawyering than I am at law exam taking (which has about as much to do with being an attorney as having pink hair does with being able to play sports.)

I was always better at taking a statement or a fact and completely breaking it down than I was at the tests. Funny thing about law school exams. They're everything in school, but when you leave (and if you had a good professor while you were in school) you get told that everything they want you to do on the tests (remember the law and shit it out choppily in a short time period) is not only poor lawyering, but a one way path to malpractice. In other words, the exams teach you how to be a shitty attorney.

The writing doesn't bother me...I love to write (hence my very long and boring posts!)...it's the math that got me. Once we got into the higher order stats I just struggled. I understand what they are saying...just performing the operations gets me befuddled.

Yeah, statistics is yucky. I was happy stopping after third level calculus.

What were you going for, anyway?

Not as easy as it sounds. Key to writing your doctoral thesis in history is finding a new idea or a new take on an idea. With history staying the same (generally) and thousands of new PhDs in history every year, in addition to articles and papers written by already graduated scholars, the amount of new ideas is shrinking very fast. There's a reason history thesises are so damn narrow. "The family structure of the Post-Punic, Pre-Empire Roman household outside of the Capital" Type shit. That topic may not even be narrow enough.

morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-03 12:04:13 Reply

At 2/2/13 03:45 PM, Camarohusky wrote: I'm lucky I abandoned my hopes for a PhD early on.

;;;;
I have a brother who has a PhD in History & has been in Korea for over 10 years, he just got his PhD in English last year.

So 2 doctorates .... our faily likes to say he's got all the education his brothers (Me & our youngest brother) have all the money ~;)

Those who have only the religious opinions of others in their head & worship them. Have no room for their own thoughts & no room to contemplate anyone elses ideas either-More

morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-03 12:17:04 Reply

At 1/31/13 09:17 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote: In general, my feet are holding up fine. My only problem is really dry skin, which I've had for some time,

;;;;
I am having a hard time grasping why your feet have dry skin !
That is what husbands are for ... rubbing moisturizer creams/oils onto wifes sore tired dry skin/feet ~;)

I feel yer pain about the ingrown toenail, I dug one out myself about a week ago & its a bit infected, I'm hitting it with peroxide & alcohol twice a day & letting it 'breathe' as much as I can . Its definately getting better & I hope its cleared up in another couple of days..

But why is it when you have a sore toe, you seem to bump it into stuff 20 times a day ?????

Those who have only the religious opinions of others in their head & worship them. Have no room for their own thoughts & no room to contemplate anyone elses ideas either-More

RydiaLockheart
RydiaLockheart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-03 12:23:12 Reply

At 2/3/13 12:17 PM, morefngdbs wrote: I am having a hard time grasping why your feet have dry skin !
That is what husbands are for ... rubbing moisturizer creams/oils onto wifes sore tired dry skin/feet ~;)

Because the husband doesn't like touching my feet for some reason.

The funny thing is, the day after I posted that, I dug out an ingrown toenail. Yes, it hurts. It's getting better though. Epsom salts seem to work. That's what I had to use after getting it professionally done.

Also, I don't think I will ever get a doctorate. Writing my thesis for my second Master's was enough.

TheMason
TheMason
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-03 12:28:19 Reply

At 2/3/13 11:41 AM, Camarohusky wrote: What were you going for, anyway?

Poli Sci.

Not as easy as it sounds. Key to writing your doctoral thesis in history is finding a new idea or a new take on an idea.

Yeah, but you know there are plenty of examples of political scientists working on their dissertation and thens something happening to totally negat 2-4 years of research. (ie: the fall of the USSR and Sovietologists.)

I think I'd do something with the Korean War.

BBS Signature
morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-03 13:22:37 Reply

At 2/3/13 12:23 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote:
At 2/3/13 12:17 PM, morefngdbs wrote: That is what husbands are for ... rubbing moisturizer creams/oils onto wifes sore tired dry skin/feet ~;)
Because the husband doesn't like touching my feet for some reason.

;;;
You need to tell him you are a package deal ....he can't just like touching some spots & not others ~;D

Epsom salts seem to work.

My Dad's cure all for everything !
I was over to visit my parents on Friday & Dad had Mum soaking her ankle in epsome salts , she had twisted it & it was swollen & sore.
Although it does seem to work well at keeping infection at bay !

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-03 23:34:02 Reply

At 2/3/13 01:22 PM, morefngdbs wrote:

even the cure for bland food? god I hope not. that stuff works better than ex lax.

theburningliberal
theburningliberal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-03 23:53:25 Reply

At 2/3/13 01:43 AM, TheMason wrote:
At 2/2/13 03:04 PM, theburningliberal wrote: The programs are also more interconnected now, too. It's easier and faster to insert a chart or graph into a word document using excel. Still haven't tried the other programs yet, but here's an interesting link:
Cool, I'll have to look into it. I'm more of a Word and PPT guy myself. (I love being able to include video and humorous slides into my lessons!)

Just confirming something I wrote yesterday... So I ended up needing to print out a form I needed to do my accounting homework, so I made the document I needed on my computer (which has no printer attached, a Win 7 OS with Office 365 on it... Went to my mom's computer (which has a printer, but is Win XP/SP2) and logged into my skydrive on her computer... Not only were my documents there, but there were web apps of the programs I needed to open them (Excel and Word). The web apps are dumbed down versions of the real programs, but they still contain most of the basic commands needed to edit and format a document. They also maintain the new visual look to Office 365, which is a lot more fluid than previous versions to match the Win 8 OS (which was a surprise to me, I wasn't expecting to see that on a Win XP ! )

Printing in the web apps will turn your document into a .pdf file which you can then download and print using Adobe, which is a bit cumbersome but has the benefit of turning out a .pdf file of the document, which can come in handy. At least that is how it worked for me, might work directly too, I only tried it once

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-04 12:11:43 Reply

At 2/3/13 11:34 PM, Korriken wrote:
At 2/3/13 01:22 PM, morefngdbs wrote:
even the cure for bland food? god I hope not. that stuff works better than ex lax.

Well, you could say that following a meal with a bad case of the runs certainly isn't a bland experience...

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-04 15:25:28 Reply

just priced out a Laptop for $2K USD, its pretty badass I just can't decide if I want to pay it all at once OR do the payment system (which is cheaper) I mean if I did payments it would be cheaper and not take a chunk out of any of my multiple savings (vacation, bank account, emergency ETC) and the payment system is pretty good since there is no interest until six months.

heres the specs.

Operating system: Windows 8 Pro 64
Processor: 3rd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3840QM Processor
Graphics card: NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 650M Graphics with 2048MB (2GB)
Display: 17.3-inch diagonal Full HD Anti-glare LED-backlit Display (1920 x 1080) thats 1080i
Memory : 16GB DDR3 System Memory
Hard drive: 1.5TB 7200 rpm Dual Hard Drive
Primary battery: Two 9-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery
Primary optical drive: Blu-ray writer & SuperMulti DVD burner
Networking: Intel 802.11b/g/n WLAN and Bluetooth

morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-05 08:34:40 Reply

At 2/3/13 02:30 AM, Malachy wrote: Sometimes I feel like it's easy to lose sight of how much you're actually spending on these services. If I told you that Netflix was $120 up front - would you think more on it before committing? $9.99 a month

;;;;;

Just putting this out there, my girlfriend (ok fiance) & I have been together awhile now & when we first met, she had like 25 DVD's & I had roughly the same amount. Todays we have over 2000 DVD -Bluerays ( our last count was 2045 last year) & we are still purchasing them just about every week we get a couple . Which covers a range from Animation to Westerns .... the vast majority we've paid about 10 bucks for, sure there are some we've paid 5 dollars for but there are quite a few we paid 20 or more for . But you can average it to about 20,000 dollars. Now that sounds like a lot & would be to spend say this afternoon on movies , but look at what a cable or Satelite system & service over 129 months would cost !?!
And you'd have nothing to show for it.
Where as we still have all our movies, which we can watch whenever we like.
At no additional cost.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-05 12:17:13 Reply

I saw this political picture and had to chuckle.

- The Regulars Lounge Thread -

Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-05 14:52:49 Reply

At 2/5/13 08:34 AM, morefngdbs wrote: Where as we still have all our movies, which we can watch whenever we like.
At no additional cost.

This is what I mean - you pay a service that can be a couple hundred bucks a year and if you cancel then you lose access to what you've been paying for - whereas if you go out and buy the physical copy you can keep it and keep watching it. I suppose that's why I don't like subscription video games like World of Warcraft. I feel like I'm wasting money if I don't play the game much and if I cancel the subscription then I can't play the game anymore. I guess I'm bi-polar when it comes to gaming - I'll go months without playing a single game but then spend 2 weeks straight playing nothing but one game...and some games I'll buy and never play and others I'll play in spurts once a year or more (like Team Fortress 2)

Then again, with Netflix you have access to a huge multi-million dollar inventory of almost every movie imaginable and many of them you can watch immediately on your computer or TV. And for a year of service it costs less than a couple of weeks of groceries. Even if it's not available for streaming you can get it within a few days through the mail...so I guess it makes some sense. There are even subscription movie theater services where you pay a monthly fee to get unlimited visits to the movie theater.

This is why I'm still on the fence about something like Office 365...because it gives you access to what you need when you need it and you can cancel when you no longer have a need for it but at what point are you spending more on the subscription than if you were to just buy it outright and have access indefinitely?

¥ ¥

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-05 15:14:20 Reply

At 2/5/13 02:52 PM, Malachy wrote: Then again, with Netflix you have access to a huge multi-million dollar inventory of almost every movie imaginable and many of them you can watch immediately on your computer or TV. And for a year of service it costs less than a couple of weeks of groceries. Even if it's not available for streaming you can get it within a few days through the mail...so I guess it makes some sense. There are even subscription movie theater services where you pay a monthly fee to get unlimited visits to the movie theater.

speaking of netflix I have to cancel my subscription netflix sucks all the good shit has to be sent by mail to watch it and the streaming library for tv shows are hardly ever updated (some series on netflix are two to three seasons behind)

Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-05 15:25:23 Reply

At 2/5/13 03:14 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: speaking of netflix I have to cancel my subscription netflix sucks all the good shit has to be sent by mail to watch it and the streaming library for tv shows are hardly ever updated (some series on netflix are two to three seasons behind)

I canceled my netflix a year and a half ago and I have to say that you will miss the DVD library and the personalized suggestions. I switched to the blockbuster at home thing since I have Dish Network who bought blockbuster. Their streaming is total crap and the interface is painful to use - in the year I've had it they haven't made any attempts to increase their libraries and have made no moves to develop mobile apps to manage your DVD queue let alone to stream movies or TV. Their "streaming" is basically a skinned version of hulu - ads included.

I may have to go back to netflix but I'd need DVDs and streaming so it'd be like $20 a month for me

¥ ¥

BBS Signature
stafffighter
stafffighter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-05 16:55:12 Reply

The scary thing is you don't have to play subscription games to feel the bite. Just look at any steam game. You don't purchase the game anymore, you purchase a licence to play it from them. It's interesting that they test this concept out with products for younger people, people for whom the idea of ownership is already abstract, and then the adult market goes right alone with it.
As for movies, I just miss video stores as an entity. Also, hi, I'm not dead.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature
JudgeDredd
JudgeDredd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-05 18:12:13 Reply

At 2/2/13 12:18 PM, TheMason wrote: Things are going good. I've shifted gears twice since '08, I went back active with the Air Guard once I got back from my deployment and didn't go back to finish my PhD.

Now I'm back in school to get my HS social studies certificate. Much better path for me.

I take it the govt pays for it after duty?

Just been checking the Collab-thing-a-ma-jig. They prolly need few more options in the dropdowns.
Hey...hope to see you back in here sometime!

Cool. I'm kinda on G+ and thought i should start cross-posting some of the political stuff.
I went all mobile (android like the rest here ;) and tablet.. but netbooks are dirt cheap so
finally got one which makes easier.

Definitely the future comin' along now. Some tech is mindblowing..
Good news.. a Kiwi played Judge Dredd in the new movie.
Bad news.. it wasn't me :( ...and i haven't seen it yet. (net bandwith is bit low) lol

Proteas
Proteas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-05 19:03:56 Reply

At 2/5/13 04:55 PM, stafffighter wrote: Also, hi, I'm not dead.

The rumors of my untimely demise due to a sex induced heart-attack with a girl who sorta looks like a hotter version of Christina Hendricks have been... well... it wasn't a heart-attack, it was a "heart episode" according to my H.M.O..

And yes, I miss video stores, too. We used to have three of them in this town, and now we're down to just one, and I'm wondering how they've managed to hang on for so long.

BBS Signature
Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-05 19:13:48 Reply

At 2/5/13 04:55 PM, stafffighter wrote: The scary thing is you don't have to play subscription games to feel the bite. Just look at any steam game. You don't purchase the game anymore, you purchase a licence to play it from them.

You what the only difference is between that and buying the game? The disc and resale.

When you buy a movie, you are not buying the movie, but rather are buying a license to play that movie for all non-commercial uses.

So when you buy from stem, and download a copy from them, you are buying that same exact license. The only tangible thing you can't do (besides touch, destroy, or do whatever with the hardware medium the game existed upon) is sell the game afterward, but that difference is usually made up for in a cheaper price.

When you buy from steam (and other alike sites) you get one bonus you would never get with a hard copy, online backup. Unlike if you scratch, break, or lose a hard copy, you can easily get a new soft copy off of the site. Back in the day, I spent many a dollar replacing lost and broken discs/cartridges. When my last computer crapped out on me, I merely went online and redownloaded my Civ IV collection, as well as my other net purchased games.

So the concept of what you're buying has not changed, merely the direction from which you look at it.

RydiaLockheart
RydiaLockheart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-05 22:36:33 Reply

It looks like I'll need to go back to the podiatrist. And here I thought he had taken care of the ingrown toenail for good. I'll give it another week since I'd like to get it yanked when I have no dance classes. Also, it may take care of itself before then. Who knows.

Need to remember to pick up my husband's birthday cake tomorrow morning. I know he's taking off for his birthday, but I still have work and ballet. We had a holiday at work for the Fourth of July on a Wednesday, and boy, did that screw everyone up for the remainder of the week. So no, I'm not taking off.

stafffighter
stafffighter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-05 22:43:26 Reply

You know something else steam gives me that I don't get otherwise? the need to log in to play a single player game. Without them I wouldn't have to depend on their server or go through everything short of a d.n.a test to recover a lost password. Hey, my internet went out. I guess I'll pass some time playing a game, which I can because I don't have to log in to anywhere to do it. Shut up city dwellers, time without wifi fucking happens!
That's not to say I have anything against downloading stuff. I just got arcainum off of gog.com. The account makes it so I can re-download the game if I have to. Granted with games under 10 bucks they can take the risk of not being draconian.
And as for movies. I stand by what I said about video stores. They were a hunt. Netflix is bobbing for apples.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature
Proteas
Proteas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-05 23:13:30 Reply

At 2/5/13 10:43 PM, stafffighter wrote: You know something else steam gives me that I don't get otherwise? the need to log in to play a single player game.

Yeah... I don't quite get that, either.

I got a physical copy of Borderlands 2 for Christmas, and I finally got a new dvd drive on my computer yesterday so I can play it. I have the disk in hand, full game on plastic... but I have to go through f*cking Steam to play it. So if my commiecast goes out, I can't play the game I have a disk of in my hands.

BBS Signature
Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-06 11:33:33 Reply

At 2/5/13 10:36 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote: It looks like I'll need to go back to the podiatrist. And here I thought he had taken care of the ingrown toenail for good. I'll give it another week since I'd like to get it yanked when I have no dance classes.

Yuck. Toe problems are the worst. My toes curl up in fear just thinking about it.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-07 04:01:31 Reply

At 2/5/13 03:14 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: speaking of netflix I have to cancel my subscription netflix sucks all the good shit has to be sent by mail to watch it and the streaming library for tv shows are hardly ever updated (some series on netflix are two to three seasons behind)

I don't do the streaming. I get one DVD at a time by mail.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-07 12:23:28 Reply

At 2/7/13 04:01 AM, Sense-Offender wrote:
I don't do the streaming. I get one DVD at a time by mail.

you can always find a program on the internet to rip the disc to your pc, make a copy of it, then send it back for another.
rinse.
repeat.
next thing you know you got a dvd collection that would make Kim Jong Il's ghost envious.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-07 13:18:58 Reply

At 2/7/13 04:01 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: I don't do the streaming. I get one DVD at a time by mail.

Streaming is the best part.

I watch a bunch of the TV shows. While it's not perfect and doesn't include the newest seasons, it has a very good library of TV shows. On top of that, their selection of childrens' TV shows is huge.

At 2/7/13 12:23 PM, Korriken wrote: Kim Jong Il's ghost

Doesn't that imply that he had a soul?