New Topic Respond to this Topic
morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-05 08:34:40 Reply

At 2/3/13 02:30 AM, Malachy wrote: Sometimes I feel like it's easy to lose sight of how much you're actually spending on these services. If I told you that Netflix was $120 up front - would you think more on it before committing? $9.99 a month

;;;;;

Just putting this out there, my girlfriend (ok fiance) & I have been together awhile now & when we first met, she had like 25 DVD's & I had roughly the same amount. Todays we have over 2000 DVD -Bluerays ( our last count was 2045 last year) & we are still purchasing them just about every week we get a couple . Which covers a range from Animation to Westerns .... the vast majority we've paid about 10 bucks for, sure there are some we've paid 5 dollars for but there are quite a few we paid 20 or more for . But you can average it to about 20,000 dollars. Now that sounds like a lot & would be to spend say this afternoon on movies , but look at what a cable or Satelite system & service over 129 months would cost !?!
And you'd have nothing to show for it.
Where as we still have all our movies, which we can watch whenever we like.
At no additional cost.

Those who have only the religious opinions of others in their head & worship them. Have no room for their own thoughts & no room to contemplate anyone elses ideas either-More

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-05 12:17:13 Reply

I saw this political picture and had to chuckle.

- The Regulars Lounge Thread -

Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-05 14:52:49 Reply

At 2/5/13 08:34 AM, morefngdbs wrote: Where as we still have all our movies, which we can watch whenever we like.
At no additional cost.

This is what I mean - you pay a service that can be a couple hundred bucks a year and if you cancel then you lose access to what you've been paying for - whereas if you go out and buy the physical copy you can keep it and keep watching it. I suppose that's why I don't like subscription video games like World of Warcraft. I feel like I'm wasting money if I don't play the game much and if I cancel the subscription then I can't play the game anymore. I guess I'm bi-polar when it comes to gaming - I'll go months without playing a single game but then spend 2 weeks straight playing nothing but one game...and some games I'll buy and never play and others I'll play in spurts once a year or more (like Team Fortress 2)

Then again, with Netflix you have access to a huge multi-million dollar inventory of almost every movie imaginable and many of them you can watch immediately on your computer or TV. And for a year of service it costs less than a couple of weeks of groceries. Even if it's not available for streaming you can get it within a few days through the mail...so I guess it makes some sense. There are even subscription movie theater services where you pay a monthly fee to get unlimited visits to the movie theater.

This is why I'm still on the fence about something like Office 365...because it gives you access to what you need when you need it and you can cancel when you no longer have a need for it but at what point are you spending more on the subscription than if you were to just buy it outright and have access indefinitely?

¥ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ¥
¥ ¥
Blag [updated: 1/4/2015] ¥ ¥

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 45
Programmer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-05 15:14:20 Reply

At 2/5/13 02:52 PM, Malachy wrote: Then again, with Netflix you have access to a huge multi-million dollar inventory of almost every movie imaginable and many of them you can watch immediately on your computer or TV. And for a year of service it costs less than a couple of weeks of groceries. Even if it's not available for streaming you can get it within a few days through the mail...so I guess it makes some sense. There are even subscription movie theater services where you pay a monthly fee to get unlimited visits to the movie theater.

speaking of netflix I have to cancel my subscription netflix sucks all the good shit has to be sent by mail to watch it and the streaming library for tv shows are hardly ever updated (some series on netflix are two to three seasons behind)

JOIN FREEMASONRYIJOIN RNCIJOIN THE NRA NOWI JOIN AIPAC
Getting banned for telling it how it is since 2006!

BBS Signature
Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-05 15:25:23 Reply

At 2/5/13 03:14 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: speaking of netflix I have to cancel my subscription netflix sucks all the good shit has to be sent by mail to watch it and the streaming library for tv shows are hardly ever updated (some series on netflix are two to three seasons behind)

I canceled my netflix a year and a half ago and I have to say that you will miss the DVD library and the personalized suggestions. I switched to the blockbuster at home thing since I have Dish Network who bought blockbuster. Their streaming is total crap and the interface is painful to use - in the year I've had it they haven't made any attempts to increase their libraries and have made no moves to develop mobile apps to manage your DVD queue let alone to stream movies or TV. Their "streaming" is basically a skinned version of hulu - ads included.

I may have to go back to netflix but I'd need DVDs and streaming so it'd be like $20 a month for me

¥ ¥

BBS Signature
stafffighter
stafffighter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 51
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-05 16:55:12 Reply

The scary thing is you don't have to play subscription games to feel the bite. Just look at any steam game. You don't purchase the game anymore, you purchase a licence to play it from them. It's interesting that they test this concept out with products for younger people, people for whom the idea of ownership is already abstract, and then the adult market goes right alone with it.
As for movies, I just miss video stores as an entity. Also, hi, I'm not dead.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature
JudgeDredd
JudgeDredd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-05 18:12:13 Reply

At 2/2/13 12:18 PM, TheMason wrote: Things are going good. I've shifted gears twice since '08, I went back active with the Air Guard once I got back from my deployment and didn't go back to finish my PhD.

Now I'm back in school to get my HS social studies certificate. Much better path for me.

I take it the govt pays for it after duty?

Just been checking the Collab-thing-a-ma-jig. They prolly need few more options in the dropdowns.
Hey...hope to see you back in here sometime!

Cool. I'm kinda on G+ and thought i should start cross-posting some of the political stuff.
I went all mobile (android like the rest here ;) and tablet.. but netbooks are dirt cheap so
finally got one which makes easier.

Definitely the future comin' along now. Some tech is mindblowing..
Good news.. a Kiwi played Judge Dredd in the new movie.
Bad news.. it wasn't me :( ...and i haven't seen it yet. (net bandwith is bit low) lol

Proteas
Proteas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-05 19:03:56 Reply

At 2/5/13 04:55 PM, stafffighter wrote: Also, hi, I'm not dead.

The rumors of my untimely demise due to a sex induced heart-attack with a girl who sorta looks like a hotter version of Christina Hendricks have been... well... it wasn't a heart-attack, it was a "heart episode" according to my H.M.O..

And yes, I miss video stores, too. We used to have three of them in this town, and now we're down to just one, and I'm wondering how they've managed to hang on for so long.

BBS Signature
Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-05 19:13:48 Reply

At 2/5/13 04:55 PM, stafffighter wrote: The scary thing is you don't have to play subscription games to feel the bite. Just look at any steam game. You don't purchase the game anymore, you purchase a licence to play it from them.

You what the only difference is between that and buying the game? The disc and resale.

When you buy a movie, you are not buying the movie, but rather are buying a license to play that movie for all non-commercial uses.

So when you buy from stem, and download a copy from them, you are buying that same exact license. The only tangible thing you can't do (besides touch, destroy, or do whatever with the hardware medium the game existed upon) is sell the game afterward, but that difference is usually made up for in a cheaper price.

When you buy from steam (and other alike sites) you get one bonus you would never get with a hard copy, online backup. Unlike if you scratch, break, or lose a hard copy, you can easily get a new soft copy off of the site. Back in the day, I spent many a dollar replacing lost and broken discs/cartridges. When my last computer crapped out on me, I merely went online and redownloaded my Civ IV collection, as well as my other net purchased games.

So the concept of what you're buying has not changed, merely the direction from which you look at it.

RydiaLockheart
RydiaLockheart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 32
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-05 22:36:33 Reply

It looks like I'll need to go back to the podiatrist. And here I thought he had taken care of the ingrown toenail for good. I'll give it another week since I'd like to get it yanked when I have no dance classes. Also, it may take care of itself before then. Who knows.

Need to remember to pick up my husband's birthday cake tomorrow morning. I know he's taking off for his birthday, but I still have work and ballet. We had a holiday at work for the Fourth of July on a Wednesday, and boy, did that screw everyone up for the remainder of the week. So no, I'm not taking off.

stafffighter
stafffighter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 51
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-05 22:43:26 Reply

You know something else steam gives me that I don't get otherwise? the need to log in to play a single player game. Without them I wouldn't have to depend on their server or go through everything short of a d.n.a test to recover a lost password. Hey, my internet went out. I guess I'll pass some time playing a game, which I can because I don't have to log in to anywhere to do it. Shut up city dwellers, time without wifi fucking happens!
That's not to say I have anything against downloading stuff. I just got arcainum off of gog.com. The account makes it so I can re-download the game if I have to. Granted with games under 10 bucks they can take the risk of not being draconian.
And as for movies. I stand by what I said about video stores. They were a hunt. Netflix is bobbing for apples.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature
Proteas
Proteas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-05 23:13:30 Reply

At 2/5/13 10:43 PM, stafffighter wrote: You know something else steam gives me that I don't get otherwise? the need to log in to play a single player game.

Yeah... I don't quite get that, either.

I got a physical copy of Borderlands 2 for Christmas, and I finally got a new dvd drive on my computer yesterday so I can play it. I have the disk in hand, full game on plastic... but I have to go through f*cking Steam to play it. So if my commiecast goes out, I can't play the game I have a disk of in my hands.

BBS Signature
Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-06 11:33:33 Reply

At 2/5/13 10:36 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote: It looks like I'll need to go back to the podiatrist. And here I thought he had taken care of the ingrown toenail for good. I'll give it another week since I'd like to get it yanked when I have no dance classes.

Yuck. Toe problems are the worst. My toes curl up in fear just thinking about it.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-07 04:01:31 Reply

At 2/5/13 03:14 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: speaking of netflix I have to cancel my subscription netflix sucks all the good shit has to be sent by mail to watch it and the streaming library for tv shows are hardly ever updated (some series on netflix are two to three seasons behind)

I don't do the streaming. I get one DVD at a time by mail.

sig by JaY11
one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-07 12:23:28 Reply

At 2/7/13 04:01 AM, Sense-Offender wrote:
I don't do the streaming. I get one DVD at a time by mail.

you can always find a program on the internet to rip the disc to your pc, make a copy of it, then send it back for another.
rinse.
repeat.
next thing you know you got a dvd collection that would make Kim Jong Il's ghost envious.

I'm not crazy, everyone else is.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-07 13:18:58 Reply

At 2/7/13 04:01 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: I don't do the streaming. I get one DVD at a time by mail.

Streaming is the best part.

I watch a bunch of the TV shows. While it's not perfect and doesn't include the newest seasons, it has a very good library of TV shows. On top of that, their selection of childrens' TV shows is huge.

At 2/7/13 12:23 PM, Korriken wrote: Kim Jong Il's ghost

Doesn't that imply that he had a soul?

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-07 13:27:54 Reply

At 2/7/13 01:18 PM, Camarohusky wrote:
...their selection of childrens' TV shows is huge.

thanks for tempting me to want to get netflix... then again the availability of children shows on youtube is huge too. some shows you can find on youtube mere hours after the new episode airs on tv.

Doesn't that imply that he had a soul?

yeah, it's most likely being tormented right now by the souls of the north koreans that he starved to death or had executed for not worshiping Dear Leader enough. It's only a matter of time before that fat bastard of a son dies of some heart or lard related disease. seriously, a nation of people starving to death, worshiping the one fat bastard among them.

Ravariel
Ravariel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-07 17:56:16 Reply

At 2/7/13 01:27 PM, Korriken wrote: thanks for tempting me to want to get netflix... then again the availability of children shows on youtube is huge too. some shows you can find on youtube mere hours after the new episode airs on tv.

That My Little Pony ain't gunna watch itself.

*hums* winter wrap-up winter wrap-up...

Tis better to sit in silence and be presumed a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

theburningliberal
theburningliberal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-07 23:06:37 Reply

Anyone know of any good PS3 games? If you can find links to em online, I'd appreciate it. The used video game stores around here suck.

leanlifter1
leanlifter1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-08 00:18:19 Reply

At 2/7/13 11:06 PM, theburningliberal wrote: Anyone know of any good PS3 games? If you can find links to em online, I'd appreciate it. The used video game stores around here suck.

There are no good games on PS3. Get a PC.

BBS Signature
Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-08 00:41:19 Reply

At 2/7/13 11:06 PM, theburningliberal wrote: Anyone know of any good PS3 games? If you can find links to em online, I'd appreciate it. The used video game stores around here suck.

Lego Lord of the Rings is pretty cool. You get to roam around Middle Earth and stuff. Little childish, but fun nonetheless.

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-08 02:25:55 Reply

At 2/7/13 11:06 PM, theburningliberal wrote:
Anyone know of any good PS3 games? If you can find links to em online, I'd appreciate it. The used video game stores

that would heavily depend on your preferred genre of game.

i've never had a ps3 so I don't know. I do know if you like your game's difficulty between 'hard as hell' and "GOD DAMN IT THIS GAME CHEATS!!" then look up some Nippon Ichi games. I know the Disgaea games are pretty rough strategy games. IF you have a PSP, the 2 Prinny games are platformers that bring back memories of older times when games would drive you insane from the difficulty. I'll put it this way. the game gives you 1000 lives to beat it. my first play through of Prinny 1 took me about 400 lives on normal. I could not beat the game on hard.

if you like RPG style games Atlus has plenty of them across several consoles.

yeah i pretty much play strategy games and rpgs. I'm not big on fighting games, but i do like first person shooters, even though i SUCK at playing them against other people.

leanlifter1
leanlifter1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-08 10:11:44 Reply

Lets see if there are some good topics today.

BBS Signature
Cynical-Charlotte
Cynical-Charlotte
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Writer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-08 21:03:39 Reply

Do you have a particular genre you enjoy?

My roommates and I are addicted to racing games - specifically the Burnout and Need For Speed series. The latest Burnout is probably my favorite of the bunch. As for miscellaneous genres, I would suggest Portal 2, Red Dead Redemption, and Assassin's Creed. If you're looking for good first-person shooters that don't rhyme with Call of Duty or Battlefield, try Rainbow Six Vegas 2 or Future Soldier.

All of these can be found at Amazon.

"Yes!" - Fred Fredburger
CC | Nemesis | Lit Lovers | Ideas Worth Spreading

BBS Signature
leanlifter1
leanlifter1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-08 21:10:42 Reply

At 3/14/03 12:14 PM, Mr-Y wrote:
Yeah, thanks again for welcoming. Canada in terms of international decisions almost always follows the U.S., but here, even our government is unsure about war.

Unsure ? LOL most people I know are flat out against waring but now that the American and Canadian Military's are pretty much joined at the hip we have no choice cause our dictators and benefactors want it like that.

BBS Signature
Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-09 02:21:27 Reply

At 2/8/13 09:10 PM, leanlifter1 wrote: Unsure ? LOL most people I know are flat out against waring but now that the American and Canadian Military's are pretty much joined at the hip we have no choice cause our dictators and benefactors want it like that.

Why are you responding to a 10 year old post?

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-09 09:41:29 Reply

At 2/9/13 02:21 AM, Camarohusky wrote:

you sure you want the answer to that question?

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 45
Programmer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-09 09:50:05 Reply

At 2/9/13 09:41 AM, Korriken wrote:

Are you sure you wanted to ask that question to that question?

JOIN FREEMASONRYIJOIN RNCIJOIN THE NRA NOWI JOIN AIPAC
Getting banned for telling it how it is since 2006!

BBS Signature
Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-09 18:07:36 Reply

At 2/9/13 09:50 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
At 2/9/13 09:41 AM, Korriken wrote:
Are you sure you wanted to ask that question to that question?

Are you sure you wanted to ask that question to that question to that question?

Lets just pretend this exchange never happened

¥ ¥

BBS Signature
morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-02-10 09:37:43 Reply

At 2/9/13 06:07 PM, Malachy wrote: Lets just pretend this exchange never happened

;;;;Well , that was a bit of a snow storm yesterday 'eh !
IT took a break last night & stopped snowing & we decided to dig out, befor etodays snow & my new snowblowerr, just checked last week to make sure everything is fine.
Refused to start.... anone lookin got buy a snow blower I strongly urge you to NOT CONSIDER a Poulan Pro !
GARBAGE !
I've used it 6 times ...its been in the shop twice !
Don't get me wrong ,when it does work its a very easy machine to opereate, has steering control in the grips (squeeze left handle, it turns left, same for right ...smooth easy speed controler, superfast lever snowdirection chute (no cranking to turn it)

IT just doesn't want to run !
& Its so new there isn't even any rust on the botton of it

I am very discouraged !

Those who have only the religious opinions of others in their head & worship them. Have no room for their own thoughts & no room to contemplate anyone elses ideas either-More