Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2015-02-20 22:26:08 Reply

At 2/20/15 09:21 PM, Camarohusky wrote:
Not like I have anything to worry about, my part of the country is blessed to have a really weak bug (spider & insect) selection. The worst we've got are yellow jackets, and a spider who's bite is equivalent to a bee sting. We've lots of pesty little guys, but nothing really dangerous.

Stepping on an underground yellow jacket nest can be.. well, painful. Very painful.

Here in Texas, we have more pests than you can shake a can of spray at. Of course, when I was living in Louisiana, a HUGE swarm of Golden Silk Orb Spinners decided to set up shop behind a friend's house. Being an arachophobe, going out his back door and into his back yard and looking up to see probably around a hundred spiders in a massive web over me almost made me literally soil my pants. Needless to say, I went back inside. They're not harmful, but something about their spindly legs spooks me. I have no problem with tarantulas.

I'm not crazy, everyone else is.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2015-02-20 22:50:14 Reply

At 2/20/15 10:26 PM, Korriken wrote: Here in Texas, we have more pests than you can shake a can of spray at. Of course, when I was living in Louisiana, a HUGE swarm of Golden Silk Orb Spinners decided to set up shop behind a friend's house. Being an arachophobe, going out his back door and into his back yard and looking up to see probably around a hundred spiders in a massive web over me almost made me literally soil my pants. Needless to say, I went back inside. They're not harmful, but something about their spindly legs spooks me. I have no problem with tarantulas.

I actually don't mind the orb weaver type of spider. For the most part they just sit still and do nothing. They are colorful and make beautiful webs. The only problem is when they build webs in your way. In Japan there were 3-4 inch spiders (full leg span) that would build webs between anything that was 4 feet apart or closer. The webs would be about 5 feet off the ground. I called them Ojigigumo because htye made you bow whenever you passed between things because of their low webs. Other than their web locations, they were no problem at all.

The spiders I hate are the funnel web and ground spiders. These are the ones that show up on your way, and they don't sit still. Not to mention they're almost all an ugly brown or black color.

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2015-02-20 22:57:11 Reply

At 2/20/15 10:50 PM, Camarohusky wrote:
I actually don't mind the orb weaver type of spider. For the most part they just sit still and do nothing. They are colorful and make beautiful webs.

The human mind is an odd thing. I know orb weavers are (mostly) harmless, but... those legs. *shudder*

The spiders I hate are the funnel web and ground spiders. These are the ones that show up on your way, and they don't sit still. Not to mention they're almost all an ugly brown or black color.

I once spotted a brown recluse in my house. I hit it so hard with a shoe I put a hole in the wall. now THOSE will send me directly into panic mode. Ugly, spindly legs and VERY dangerous.

DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 57
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2015-02-21 02:04:23 Reply

At 2/20/15 09:21 PM, Camarohusky wrote: Why do spiders insist on hanging out in the shower?

I had the same thing happen to me last year. Ever since the weather dropped I have not see them.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics
Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2015-02-21 10:22:02 Reply

At 2/21/15 02:04 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: I had the same thing happen to me last year. Ever since the weather dropped I have not see them.

Over here the weather hasn't dropped. We usually get a total of 30-40 days where the temperature is around freezing. This year, not only did we only get about 10, our temperatures the past months have been close to 15 degrees above normal.

Spider and Bug seasons this year are going to be out of control here.

Ericho
Ericho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2015-02-21 11:49:21 Reply

My brother fell down the stairs (well three of them) and broke his toe, so he's been spending the last couple of days in bed, which he actually does most of the time anyway. We were amazed at how bad his X-ray looked.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

RydiaLockheart
RydiaLockheart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 32
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2015-02-21 14:29:39 Reply

When a centipede runs across your floor, I believe you have permission to scream like a pussy.

LordJaric
LordJaric
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2015-02-21 15:10:17 Reply

I'll never understand some phobias, partially ones with bugs and spiders.

Common sense isn't so common anymore
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"
Fanfiction Page

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2015-02-21 15:16:20 Reply

At 2/21/15 02:29 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote: When a centipede runs across your floor, I believe you have permission to scream like a pussy.

Agreed. The ones by me are particularly ugly.

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2015-02-22 01:29:51 Reply

Earlier this week, I wound up losing my job because my boss accused me of stealing by giving away food.

A trucker came in, ordered and paid for a meal, then went back to his truck. about 10 minutes later he comes back to pick up his food. After he leaves my boss comes out and begins screaming at me about being a thief and giving away his money. So I stand there looking at him like he has a giant zit on the end of his nose, then when he finally shuts his yap, I tell him the man paid for his meal and returned to pick it up. He goes on another 2 minute rant, then when he finally shuts up, I tell him to roll back the camera and see for himself.

We go to his office he rolls back the camera to the point where the man picks up the food, then gives me this smug look. I tell him to roll the camera back further. He does and sees the man order, pay, then leave. I return his smug look. He tells me to get back to work that break time is over. I tell him he can go fuck himself all the way back to Aghanistan (where he's from) and walked out. One can put up with being accused of stealing so many times before they finally snap.

So, I whipped up a bunch of cookies and beef jerky and took them to the flea market to make a bit of cash until I can find a job. After making in 2 days what I normally make in a week there, and selling out of cookies in 3 hours, I have decided I'm going into business for myself. The weather was nasty and there weren't many people there, and I still sold out by noon.

Turns out I've been doing it wrong for a long time.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2015-02-22 11:00:19 Reply

At 2/22/15 01:29 AM, Korriken wrote: So, I whipped up a bunch of cookies and beef jerky and took them to the flea market to make a bit of cash until I can find a job. After making in 2 days what I normally make in a week there, and selling out of cookies in 3 hours, I have decided I'm going into business for myself. The weather was nasty and there weren't many people there, and I still sold out by noon.

Slap the term "organic" on that shit and take it to a liberal-ish neighborhood and you'll automatically triple your profits.

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2015-02-22 11:23:47 Reply

At 2/22/15 11:00 AM, Camarohusky wrote:
Slap the term "organic" on that shit and take it to a liberal-ish neighborhood and you'll automatically triple your profits.

I'm in Texas. Where in the hell am I going to find liberals outside of the major cities?

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2015-02-26 10:09:32 Reply

Wow, did somebody just spam us in Korean?

TheMason
TheMason
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2015-02-26 10:34:16 Reply

At 2/19/15 09:50 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote:
At 2/18/15 11:10 PM, X-Gary-Gigax-X wrote: Haha I didn't know people could be so busy. It's like you two have been living a term in the white house the last 4 years.
There were also practical considerations when we got married. One, I had just started my job and had almost zero vacation time. I used what I DID have for traveling home, the rehearsal dinner, and the wedding. Two, we were just getting established and didn't have enough money to blow on a trip. Then we were busy saving for a down payment for a house. Then we had no time and were really busy. Now we have time, money, and vacation time.

I get it Rydia...my wife and I have been married for 5 years. We haven't had a honeymoon either...in fact we've only had about 1 or 2 anniversaries together! We're looking to take ours next summer after I get back from my second deployment in 18 months...

Debunking conspiracy theories for the New World Order since 1995...
" I hereby accuse you attempting to silence me..." --PurePress

BBS Signature
TheMason
TheMason
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2015-02-26 10:40:28 Reply

At 2/26/15 10:09 AM, Camarohusky wrote: Wow, did somebody just spam us in Korean?

They also posted in the wrong forum...if he wants to talk about slot machines he needs to move that shit to General!

BBS Signature
Malachy
Malachy
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2015-02-26 11:17:57 Reply

If it's been up for an hour or so feel free to PM me.

¥ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ¥
¥ ¥
Blag [updated: 1/4/2015] ¥ ¥

BBS Signature
TheMason
TheMason
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2015-02-26 11:19:16 Reply

No! They took down the Korean spam post! And I just posted a mash-up of N. Korean propaganda...and great picture that shows Kim needs to eat more fiber...

- The Regulars Lounge Thread -

BBS Signature
Malachy
Malachy
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2015-02-26 12:21:36 Reply

At 2/26/15 11:19 AM, TheMason wrote: No! They took down the Korean spam post! And I just posted a mash-up of N. Korean propaganda...and great picture that shows Kim needs to eat more fiber...

Please don't post in them. If we remove it with spam tools you'll get banned too for "posting on a spam thread - automatic ban"

¥ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ¥
¥ ¥
Blag [updated: 1/4/2015] ¥ ¥

BBS Signature
TheMason
TheMason
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2015-02-26 23:23:51 Reply

At 2/26/15 12:21 PM, Malachy wrote:
At 2/26/15 11:19 AM, TheMason wrote: No! They took down the Korean spam post! And I just posted a mash-up of N. Korean propaganda...and great picture that shows Kim needs to eat more fiber...
Please don't post in them. If we remove it with spam tools you'll get banned too for "posting on a spam thread - automatic ban"

Yes Sir. :(

But we were going to make it political...in honor of the DPRK coming out w/310 new slogans this week we were going to have a contest on who could come up with the best 'translation'!

BBS Signature
Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer

At 2/26/15 10:29 AM, LazyDrunk wrote: Shitty. Nothing is more spite-inducing than being falsely accused of having low moral character. Were I in your position, anonymously tipping the Dep. of Health for possible infractions would be too tempting to not utilize.

Did that already.

Keep it up. Maybe even consider saving up or taking a loan out to put that fucker out of business with a competing store managed by you. It's what makes America great, having choices and such. Keep up the good work.

Oh hells no, I'm satisfied selling treats at the flea market on the weekends. I make more doing that then I did working for the maggot. I'll put it this way, I spend about 60 cents per ounce to make beef jerky and sell it for 2 dollars an ounce it flies off the table. I also sell large cookies for $1 for 2 and they fly off the table as well. This week, I cut up 12 pounds of meat to sell, which cost me about $53. I'll make about $100 profit on that. It took me about an hour to cut the meat up. and of course, about 10 minutes of non consecutive work to weigh and bag it. I sell 2.5 ounces for $5 and people think it's a great deal, which it is considering store bought jerky is running about $3 an ounce right now.

My main seller of course is cookies. Adults love them, kids go nuts for them, and at $1 a bag, most people think little tossing down a single dollar to buy a sugar boost. 500 cookies is surprisingly easy to make (it is time consuming though) It takes about $50 in supplies to make 500 cookies and I get $250 for the lot when I sell them all.

Given that I've always lived on the cheap, $300 a week is more than enough to live and put money away. I also plan on looking into legally opening up my own at home bakery and see if I can't expand it into an online business.

At 2/26/15 11:23 PM, TheMason wrote:
But we were going to make it political...in honor of the DPRK coming out w/310 new slogans this week we were going to have a contest on who could come up with the best 'translation'

The fun we could have had with that...

DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 57
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2015-02-27 12:12:54 Reply

At 2/26/15 11:23 PM, TheMason wrote: But we were going to make it political...in honor of the DPRK coming out w/310 new slogans this week we were going to have a contest on who could come up with the best 'translation'!

If it is political than they should be go easier on it.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics
Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer

So I was making cookies today when I made a big (and embarrassing) mistake today when I reached for the baking soda and grabbed cinnamon and put it into my bowl which normally would have screwed up the whole recipe. Luckily I was making peanut butter cookies and hadn't added peanut butter yet. I sat there for a minute, gave it some thought, then grabbed my notebook, jotted down a new recipe and wound up with some badass cinnamon cookies.

Here's the recipe if someone wants to try it.

Accidental Cinnamon Cookies
3 cups butter or margarine
2 cups sugar
2 cups brown sugar
4 eggs
4 tsp vanilla
3 tsp cinnamon
3 tsp baking soda
6 cups flour
1 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 375 F. Soften (bring to room temperature) butter/margarine. Mix in the eggs and vanilla and beat until well mixed. Add in sugar, brown sugar, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon. Beat until smooth. mix in flour and mix with spoon until smooth and uniform in color. using a 1/3 cup measuring cup or spoon, measure out 1/3 cup of dough and press into disc on cookie sheet. I recommend lining cookie sheets with Parchment Paper, but it's not necessary, you can use other non stick methods. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until golden and toothpick comes out clean.

Optional: You can toll dough in a 1:1 mix of cinnamon and sugar, or just sprinkle on top.

Yield: About 26 large cookies

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2015-03-01 00:03:33 Reply

I don't like baking much. It's far too exact. I much prefer cooking. Baking is more science, cooking is more art.

Making up new recipes is pretty nice regardless.

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2015-03-01 01:09:47 Reply

At 3/1/15 12:03 AM, Camarohusky wrote: I don't like baking much. It's far too exact. I much prefer cooking. Baking is more science, cooking is more art.

Making up new recipes is pretty nice regardless.

I find baking to be the perfect blend of art and science. Once one knows what ingredient controls what (science), you can alter the recipes to your liking (art).

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2015-03-01 20:22:03 Reply

He looks happy.. I wonder why? ... Oh.

- The Regulars Lounge Thread -

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2015-03-01 20:33:02 Reply

At 3/1/15 01:09 AM, Korriken wrote: I find baking to be the perfect blend of art and science. Once one knows what ingredient controls what (science), you can alter the recipes to your liking (art).

Baking has too many tipping points though. Mess up a cooking recipe and you may alter the flavor (most often badly, sometimes for the better). Mess up a baking recipe and you more often than not end up with an end product that does even resemble the intended dish. Muffins will turn to mush-fins. A cake will collapse. And so on.

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2015-03-01 22:23:28 Reply

At 3/1/15 08:33 PM, Camarohusky wrote:
Baking has too many tipping points though. Mess up a cooking recipe and you may alter the flavor (most often badly, sometimes for the better). Mess up a baking recipe and you more often than not end up with an end product that does even resemble the intended dish. Muffins will turn to mush-fins. A cake will collapse. And so on.

Baking is like any other art form, once you know the inner workings, you know what will happen when you mess with the recipe. It's when you don't know that things tend to go awry.

My other favorite art form is cooking steak. I'm amazed that people buy expensive cuts when the cheap stuff actually tastes as good if not better. I'll put it like this, I find that steaks like T-bone and Filet Mignon is a status symbol, little more. If you have to add meat to your meat to make it taste good, then it's not good. Take a cheap, tough cut of meat and rub it with a bit of kosher salt and let it sit for an hour (unless your steak is thicker than, say 1.5 inches). Then you either lightly rinse or scrape the excess salt off the steak and cook it. The meat comes out nice and tender, not to mention delicious.

Some people use an analogy like T-Bone (good) to flank steak (bad) to compare 2 things. I shake my head in disapproval when people do because it tells me they're not skilled cooks.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2015-03-01 22:42:56 Reply

At 3/1/15 10:23 PM, Korriken wrote: Baking is like any other art form, once you know the inner workings, you know what will happen when you mess with the recipe. It's when you don't know that things tend to go awry.

True.

My other favorite art form is cooking steak. I'm amazed that people buy expensive cuts when the cheap stuff actually tastes as good if not better. I'll put it like this, I find that steaks like T-bone and Filet Mignon is a status symbol, little more. If you have to add meat to your meat to make it taste good, then it's not good. Take a cheap, tough cut of meat and rub it with a bit of kosher salt and let it sit for an hour (unless your steak is thicker than, say 1.5 inches). Then you either lightly rinse or scrape the excess salt off the steak and cook it. The meat comes out nice and tender, not to mention delicious.

I've never been that good at steaks. I'm far better with chicken. As far as steak goes, I prefer a New York cut, but I've had top round that is just as good.

Some people use an analogy like T-Bone (good) to flank steak (bad) to compare 2 things. I shake my head in disapproval when people do because it tells me they're not skilled cooks.

Flank steak is great. It makes for excellent marinating. In teriyaki sauce is one good pick. Or you can do lime juice, fresh cilantro, and a touch of cumin and you've good steak for fajitas.

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2015-03-01 22:53:29 Reply

At 3/1/15 10:42 PM, Camarohusky wrote:
I've never been that good at steaks. I'm far better with chicken. As far as steak goes, I prefer a New York cut, but I've had top round that is just as good.

i like to steam my chicken then add it to noodles or marinate it and grill it.

Flank steak is great. It makes for excellent marinating. In teriyaki sauce is one good pick. Or you can do lime juice, fresh cilantro, and a touch of cumin and you've good steak for fajitas.

You're better than you give yourself credit for.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2015-03-02 00:33:42 Reply

At 3/1/15 10:53 PM, Korriken wrote: You're better than you give yourself credit for.

Cooking marinated steak is a very different task than cooking a steak plain.