New Topic Respond to this Topic
Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-09-16 17:41:10 Reply

At 9/16/14 03:46 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote: I'm having a hysterectomy sometime in the near future.

Well, fuck. That sucks.

Finally got an answer. Turns out I have a condition called adenomyosis. I could get an IUD or hormones, but they just help with symptoms and don't actually treat anything. So I might as well put an end to all of the problems now. No, the surgery hasn't been scheduled yet. Likely in October since my parents are currently out of the country. Among all the things I feel now, I'm just happy to be rid of the part that's made me miserable for 21 years.

Regardless of what you choose, it seems like all the options pretty much render having children out of the picture for you. That's a bummer, even if you currently did not want children. It's one thing to choose to not have children, it's entirely another for something else to make that decision for you.

In the end, I hope all ends well.

RydiaLockheart
RydiaLockheart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 32
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-09-16 21:32:14 Reply

At 9/16/14 05:41 PM, Camarohusky wrote:
Regardless of what you choose, it seems like all the options pretty much render having children out of the picture for you. That's a bummer, even if you currently did not want children. It's one thing to choose to not have children, it's entirely another for something else to make that decision for you.

My mom is trying to convince me to get an IUD and wait. Honestly, I don't think it will help, and there are multiple reasons I don't want an IUD. All the other methods do is just slow the disease's progression, so surgery might be inevitable in the end and I'd rather not make myself more miserable. I hope this doesn't become a major issue with my family.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-09-16 22:50:08 Reply

At 9/16/14 09:32 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote: My mom is trying to convince me to get an IUD and wait. Honestly, I don't think it will help, and there are multiple reasons I don't want an IUD. All the other methods do is just slow the disease's progression, so surgery might be inevitable in the end and I'd rather not make myself more miserable. I hope this doesn't become a major issue with my family.

If the surgery is an inevitible outcome, you could say that you're choosing to have it while your young and healthy. A histerectomy is no small surgery. It's a serious invasive procedure and has the possibility for problems. If you're healthy you have a better chance of getting through the surgery just fine.

My gut says, though this is entirely not based in any knowledge, just a gut feeling, that a disorder that would need a histerectomy could cause serious problems for the pregnancy, even if the disorder is in remission. It may be a good idea to talk to the doctor and get a full rundown of all the options and consequences, and anything regarding childbirth.

It sounds like you have some time to make a decision, so why not take the extra effort to ensure you make the most well informed decision you can? Heck, sleeping on it can change your mind. With my treatment the doctors had indicated they wanted to put me back onto the direct blood treatment. I initially held off because I thought it was worse, but now that I have been on it for a while, I am glad I finally came around to it. So give yourself some time. Think it over. Make sure the decision is what you really want.

morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-09-17 11:45:19 Reply

At 9/16/14 03:46 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote: I'm having a hysterectomy sometime in the near future.

;;;;

~:'(
I hope everything goes as smooth as possible
& you get well soon.

Those who have only the religious opinions of others in their head & worship them. Have no room for their own thoughts & no room to contemplate anyone elses ideas either-More

RydiaLockheart
RydiaLockheart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 32
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-09-17 21:44:27 Reply

At 9/16/14 10:50 PM, Camarohusky wrote: It sounds like you have some time to make a decision, so why not take the extra effort to ensure you make the most well informed decision you can? Heck, sleeping on it can change your mind. With my treatment the doctors had indicated they wanted to put me back onto the direct blood treatment. I initially held off because I thought it was worse, but now that I have been on it for a while, I am glad I finally came around to it. So give yourself some time. Think it over. Make sure the decision is what you really want.

They're going to call me eventually to schedule it, but they were going to give me a few days to make sure it was what I wanted to do. I've read more about the condition and everything I'm seeing indicates that if I were to do something like an IUD, it only slows the progression of the disease. Some of the treatments, like Depo-Provera, have their own issues.

It turns out one of my mom's friends had the same thing. She went through various treatments for five years before they finally had no choice but to do a hysterectomy. She wondered why she didn't do it sooner. I get why my mom is freaking out, but I don't want to go through a long period of misery just to delay what's likely inevitable. I should have guessed something was going to happen to me last year when the birth control I had been on just quit working and every symptom in the book came out. The one I'm on worked until all the additional bleeding and cramping for no reason happened, and that may be the disease coming through. This is one reason that conservative treatment worries me. Several of them already don't work.

In the meantime, I've also been reading about hysterectomy to make sure it's what I want to do. So far, I'm not seeing anything that will change my mind, but I have some more time.

My in-laws are coming to town on Saturday and we'll give them the news in person, since we figured that was more appropriate. I wonder how they'll take it. I figured I already was going to have some sort of conflict since they were pushing for grandkids and I had no intention, but maybe being unable to support a pregnancy either way might alleviate some issues. I dunno.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-09-17 23:24:06 Reply

At 9/17/14 09:44 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote: In the meantime, I've also been reading about hysterectomy to make sure it's what I want to do. So far, I'm not seeing anything that will change my mind, but I have some more time.

As far as invasive procedures go, it's not abnormally dangerous. Then again, all invasive surgeries have a sizeable degree of danger. I am waiting my invasive surgery, though mine involve th einsertion rather than the extraction of an organ.

My in-laws are coming to town on Saturday and we'll give them the news in person, since we figured that was more appropriate. I wonder how they'll take it. I figured I already was going to have some sort of conflict since they were pushing for grandkids and I had no intention, but maybe being unable to support a pregnancy either way might alleviate some issues. I dunno.

If they're good people they will understand. Anyway, there's always the option of adopting. Family is more about the love, caring, and the relationship rather than the blood. So you can still have kids, they just wouldn't be your biological kids.

LordJaric
LordJaric
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-09-18 00:14:48 Reply

Best of luck to you RydiaLockheart. I hope everything turns out well for you.

Common sense isn't so common anymore
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"
Fanfiction Page

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-09-18 10:15:41 Reply

For the last 2 years, I've been without an oven. Now I absolutely MUST get an oven!

I'm not crazy, everyone else is.

RydiaLockheart
RydiaLockheart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 32
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-09-18 19:05:12 Reply

At 9/18/14 12:14 AM, LordJaric wrote: Best of luck to you RydiaLockheart. I hope everything turns out well for you.

Thanks. I've decided I am going through with it after all after a lot of research and thought. Even the "alternatives to hysterectomy" site admit that one is inevitable. The way I see it, I can do it now or do it later. And who knows what "later" entails. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous, but I think this is for the best.

Though I do have to wait for the folks from the hospital to call about scheduling. Who knows when that will happen. Also need to worry about time off of work.

DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-09-18 20:05:41 Reply

At 9/18/14 10:15 AM, Korriken wrote: For the last 2 years, I've been without an oven. Now I absolutely MUST get an oven!

What will be the first thing you make in your oven?

I have a PhD in Troll Physics
Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-09-18 20:08:35 Reply

At 9/18/14 08:05 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: What will be the first thing you make in your oven?

Boiled Creme treats, obviously! The bulk of my cooking takes place in a slow cooker, but that can't do things like make pastries.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-09-18 23:08:21 Reply

At 9/18/14 08:08 PM, Korriken wrote:
At 9/18/14 08:05 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: What will be the first thing you make in your oven?
Boiled Creme treats, obviously! The bulk of my cooking takes place in a slow cooker, but that can't do things like make pastries.

Personally, I hate baking. It's so boring and leaves very little room for amatuer experimentation.

Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-09-18 23:11:31 Reply

At 9/18/14 11:08 PM, Camarohusky wrote: Personally, I hate baking. It's so boring and leaves very little room for amatuer experimentation.

I consider everything I do in the kitchen 'amateur experimentation' but my renters insurance calls it 'high risk activity' and refuses to cover it.

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥
¥ ♡ ¥
Blag [updated: 5/15/2015] ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature
RydiaLockheart
RydiaLockheart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 32
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-09-19 22:11:51 Reply

At 9/18/14 11:08 PM, Camarohusky wrote: Personally, I hate baking. It's so boring and leaves very little room for amatuer experimentation.

Depends on what you're making. I started working with a basic pumpkin muffin recipe. The base recipe is simple: one 9-oz can of pumpkin and one box of yellow cake mix. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. But now I'm trying throwing in stuff like walnuts or using other cake mixes, like spice cake.

Ericho
Ericho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-09-20 10:44:19 Reply

I went out and had my wisdom teeth finally taken out yesterday. I remember someone making a thread where they had a picture of their wisdom teeth in a bag, but for some reason, I wasn't allowed to take mine. Maybe Florida just has a different policy or something?

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-09-20 12:28:12 Reply

At 9/19/14 10:11 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote:
Depends on what you're making. I started working with a basic pumpkin muffin recipe. The base recipe is simple: one 9-oz can of pumpkin and one box of yellow cake mix. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. But now I'm trying throwing in stuff like walnuts or using other cake mixes, like spice cake.

Never liked canned pumpkin myself. I use a cleaver to split whole pumpkin down the middle, collect the seeds to clean and roast, then bake it until soft. After that I take a spoon and scrape the meat from the rind put it in a bowl. It's similar to sweet potato in consistency if you do it right, but it can be a bit stringy at times. After that you can either add some spices and eat it, or mix it into other recipes. I find fresh pumpkin tastes better than canned.

Of course, I generally make pie, which is very, very easy. Mix the pumpkin with spices and condensed milk, put it in a pit crust, and bake it. The condensed milk will give it any sweetness it needs.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-09-21 10:24:12 Reply

After 2 years, several tries, and numerous health issues, I have finally passed the bar.

Just to make me feel good, the bar decided to mess up the formatting of the list and put half of someone else's name onto mine.

Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-09-21 23:39:37 Reply

At 9/21/14 10:24 AM, Camarohusky wrote: After 2 years, several tries, and numerous health issues, I have finally passed the bar.

Just to make me feel good, the bar decided to mess up the formatting of the list and put half of someone else's name onto mine.

Congrats man! I know it's been a crazy few years for you! I know some like the NY and California tests are notorious for sometimes requiring multiple tries - there's no harm in that.

Hopefully they don't force the two of you to work as one attorney.

¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature
LordJaric
LordJaric
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-09-22 22:17:25 Reply

Went through a six hour first aid/CPR/AED safety course today. Kind of feels good to know that I am now trained to help someone in a medical situation.

Common sense isn't so common anymore
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"
Fanfiction Page

Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-09-23 00:49:49 Reply

At 9/22/14 10:17 PM, LordJaric wrote: Went through a six hour first aid/CPR/AED safety course today. Kind of feels good to know that I am now trained to help someone in a medical situation.

Those are good skills to have. I took a Wilderness First Responder course back in college - it was something like a 40 hour, 1 week course. At the end we had CPR/AED/First aid for 3 years and an extra wilderness protocols certification for 3 years.

¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature
RydiaLockheart
RydiaLockheart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 32
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-09-24 21:49:22 Reply

My hysterectomy is on November 6th. I could have scheduled it earlier, but I needed time to get things ready, especially regarding coverage at work. Now the reality is starting to hit me. Of course I'm nervous, but I'd rather have this done now than continue suffering while needing it later.

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-09-25 00:13:20 Reply

Well I screwed myself over royally. I took a chance and it backfired big time. Now my car is busted and nowhere in walking distance is hiring.

I'm not sure what to do ATM... Meh, another chapter in my problem plagued life. On the bright side, at least I'm not homeless again... yet.

FUNKbrs
FUNKbrs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-09-25 10:42:13 Reply

At 9/25/14 12:13 AM, Korriken wrote: Well I screwed myself over royally. I took a chance and it backfired big time. Now my car is busted and nowhere in walking distance is hiring.

I feel you. One of the brackets on my rear leaf springs on my van yanked clean out of the frame, and I'm in the process of having them re-welded.... as opposed to the way they were re-welded before, unbeknownest to me at the time I bought the van. Luckily I'm well known enough in the rat rod community to know a dude with a hydraulic lift in his home garage who will work semi-cheap and is entirely competent.

I'm not sure what to do ATM... Meh, another chapter in my problem plagued life. On the bright side, at least I'm not homeless again... yet.

My solution was to start bicycle commuting. I was lucky to be bike commuting recreationally and have my stamina built up when I saw the damage to my van. Worst comes to worst your car is worth enough in scrap to get a good commuter bike. If you're looking for a job anyway, saving the money on gas will be a good deal regardless. I've been cranking to work for working on two weeks now, and honestly I'm more on time than I ever was in a car.

My band Sin City ScoundrelsOur song Vixen of Doom
HATE.
Because 2,000 years of "For God so loved the world" doesn't trump 1.2 million years of "Survival of the Fittest."

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-09-25 10:45:42 Reply

At 9/25/14 10:42 AM, FUNKbrs wrote:
My solution was to start bicycle commuting. I was lucky to be bike commuting recreationally and have my stamina built up when I saw the damage to my van. Worst comes to worst your car is worth enough in scrap to get a good commuter bike. If you're looking for a job anyway, saving the money on gas will be a good deal regardless. I've been cranking to work for working on two weeks now, and honestly I'm more on time than I ever was in a car.

Problem is, I live in a small town and the nearest large town has a single entrance, an interstate bridge. Can't take a bike onto the bridge. The other ways in would take me 50+ miles to get to. Everything else is around 20-30 miles out.

FUNKbrs
FUNKbrs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-09-25 11:02:06 Reply

At 9/25/14 10:45 AM, Korriken wrote:
Problem is, I live in a small town and the nearest large town has a single entrance, an interstate bridge. Can't take a bike onto the bridge. The other ways in would take me 50+ miles to get to. Everything else is around 20-30 miles out.

How bad is traffic on the cloverleaf? Do you think you could yank your bike over the wall and cross on the low ground instead of the bridge? Also, for an extra hundred or so bucks you could get a motor kit for your bike and still be able to do long stretches on minimal fuel, and the price of your car in scrap and the bike w/ motorkit should still be affordable. I knew a dude with a motorkit who rode from Hernando MS to Midtown Memphis TN on a daily basis looking for work.

My main advice would be the get the fuck out of that small town, though. In a major city your access to jobs, cheap transit, and cheap housing will all be much better.

HATE.
Because 2,000 years of "For God so loved the world" doesn't trump 1.2 million years of "Survival of the Fittest."

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-09-25 14:25:22 Reply

At 9/25/14 11:02 AM, FUNKbrs wrote:
How bad is traffic on the cloverleaf? Do you think you could yank your bike over the wall and cross on the low ground instead of the bridge? Also, for an extra hundred or so bucks you could get a motor kit for your bike and still be able to do long stretches on minimal fuel, and the price of your car in scrap and the bike w/ motorkit should still be affordable. I knew a dude with a motorkit who rode from Hernando MS to Midtown Memphis TN on a daily basis looking for work.

Not a bad idea, actually...

My main advice would be the get the fuck out of that small town, though. In a major city your access to jobs, cheap transit, and cheap housing will all be much better.

I've been working on it. Problem is, no money. If I was single I'd buy a tent and camp out in the woods, but I'm not single anymore and I can't put my fiance through that.

FUNKbrs
FUNKbrs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-09-25 17:40:09 Reply

At 9/25/14 02:25 PM, Korriken wrote: I've been working on it. Problem is, no money. If I was single I'd buy a tent and camp out in the woods, but I'm not single anymore and I can't put my fiance through that.

Some girls find the idea of Travelling (captial T, two L's) adventurous and sexy. You're also less likely to end up in jail if you Travell with a GF. I'd link you to squattheplanet.com, but apparently the site is down...

HATE.

DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-09-26 13:22:23 Reply

Unemployment is a big factor all over, never enough jobs for everybody.
Walking in the Florida sun can make any trip feel twice as long.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics
Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-09-26 14:56:06 Reply

I think I'm going to take up sewing and learn to make bags and purses.

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Programmer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-09-26 20:10:10 Reply

wow whats with everyone and health issues lately? I mean I shouldnt talk with a little shorteness of breath. maybe we're all just getting old?