RydiaLockheart
RydiaLockheart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Aug. 26th, 2011 @ 11:52 PM Reply

I need to drive to Fairfax Monday for a business trip. So yeah...I'm a little worried. Hopefully Irene moves quickly.

Proteas
Proteas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Aug. 27th, 2011 @ 08:28 PM Reply

At 8/25/11 08:25 PM, Malachy wrote: well, the product name is "shuffle" so I suppose it is only natural that it will come with the "shuffle" option already turned on.

I don't mean that the device itself was playing tracks at random, I mean that iTunes loaded it full of random tracks... which would in turn mean that the device was indeed, playing random tunes...

*headache*

My last 2 phones have been smart phones and the first time I connected either of them to the computer they downloaded my entire music library without asking - so I've never really had to worry about getting my music from one device to another because they all seem to want to do it whether I ask them to or not.

I get the feeling that I'm probably going to piss off the sales person whenever I go to buy a phone. They'll be talking about all the various features, and I'll just keep going, "Yeah, but can you make phone calls with it?"

I don't like to text people, I've got an iPod if I want to listen to music, I sure as hell don't want to watch video on a tiny little screen, I don't need or want apps.. just give me a phone I can make phone calls on, dammit. Maybe with internet access if I need to look something up while I'm out and about.

At 8/25/11 08:36 PM, stafffighter wrote: Yeah, ipods can be confusing at first but trust me, they become instinctual very fast. As for the random thing, that's why I had to stop playing their song shuffle game. That's where they start in the middle of the song and you have to guess from a bunch of choices what it is. I have a lot of stand up like you do so picking what that bit where the guy talks about his dog is titled got frustrating.

That's what I like about the shuffle; since it doesn't have a video screen or anything on it, they give you this little button on the side that will tell you what the track is, based on the attached file information. The volume of the music lowers for a few seconds, then this space alien voice comes on and tells you, then stuff goes back to normal.

Although, I've got some Van Canto on there, and the little space alien voice goes haywire on and that spits out gibberish for some reason.

At 8/26/11 11:52 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote: I need to drive to Fairfax Monday for a business trip. So yeah...I'm a little worried. Hopefully Irene moves quickly.

Eh... that doesn't sound like fun. Be careful.

BBS Signature
morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Aug. 31st, 2011 @ 06:40 PM Reply

I've seen no updates from you yanks, about Irene & how she effected you.

Hopefully Rydia is ok.

Those who have only the religious opinions of others in their head & worship them. Have no room for their own thoughts & no room to contemplate anyone elses ideas either-More

RydiaLockheart
RydiaLockheart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Aug. 31st, 2011 @ 08:22 PM Reply

Down here in Fairfax I see no earthquake or hurricane damage. A lot of people thought the earthquake was actually a terrorist attack at first since we're so close to the White House.

I'll be returning home tomorrow. Home is far west enough Irene didn't bother us any. I'm told here that there was a ton of wind and rain, but no power loss. Maryland, however, got walloped. Tons of people still without power, and a lot of schools are closed.

Malachy
Malachy
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Aug. 31st, 2011 @ 09:58 PM Reply

At 8/31/11 06:40 PM, morefngdbs wrote: I've seen no updates from you yanks, about Irene & how she effected you.

Hopefully Rydia is ok.

My hometown in the northeast was hit pretty bad by flash floods - ruined some major roads and destroyed a couple of houses and ruined the volunteer fire house. I have a friend in Vermont who lost his house but nobody was hurt. There are some new rock slides on the mountains in the wilderness areas but my family is fine and their houses are all OK - they just lost power for a couple of days.

¥ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ¥
¥ ¥
Blag [updated: 4/20/2014] ¥ ¥

BBS Signature
RydiaLockheart
RydiaLockheart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Sep. 1st, 2011 @ 07:49 PM Reply

I saw a bird at the Germantown exit. I see lots of falcons around here but the wingspan was way too big for it to be a falcon. Once I got closer I saw it was a bald eagle circling around his lunch. Those birds are awesome. And here Benjamin Franklin wanted our national bird to be a turkey. :P

Malachy
Malachy
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Sep. 1st, 2011 @ 09:33 PM Reply

At 9/1/11 07:49 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote: I saw a bird at the Germantown exit. I see lots of falcons around here but the wingspan was way too big for it to be a falcon. Once I got closer I saw it was a bald eagle circling around his lunch. Those birds are awesome. And here Benjamin Franklin wanted our national bird to be a turkey. :P

The goofy thing about bald eagles is that they like really high places near water - so they've made nests in the New York City skyline.

There were some near where I grew up, but that was expected because it was a wilderness mountainous area.

¥ ¥

BBS Signature
aviewaskewed
aviewaskewed
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Sep. 3rd, 2011 @ 01:17 AM Reply

Remember the days when we used to gang up on the idiots and out debate them to drive them from the boards? Whatever happened to that? They don't let me ban for being a dumbass...yet....

You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator
The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.
PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature
aviewaskewed
aviewaskewed
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Sep. 3rd, 2011 @ 01:18 AM Reply

Also the worst Irene did was put a big ol' pot hole outside the house. The road department filled it, and life went on.

You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator
The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.
PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature
stafffighter
stafffighter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Sep. 3rd, 2011 @ 08:39 PM Reply

At 9/3/11 01:18 AM, aviewaskewed wrote: Also the worst Irene did was put a big ol' pot hole outside the house. The road department filled it, and life went on.

Irene was basically just a storm by the time it reached here. The same place that got the tornados in June got the worst of it. Not a good time for that town.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature
Ravariel
Ravariel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Sep. 3rd, 2011 @ 08:56 PM Reply

I live a couple miles from Michigan Stadium. It didn't rain one drop at my place until AFTER they cancelled the game. Go figure.

Tis better to sit in silence and be presumed a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Sep. 4th, 2011 @ 11:44 AM Reply

At 9/1/11 09:33 PM, Malachy wrote:
At 9/1/11 07:49 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote: Those birds are awesome. And here Benjamin Franklin wanted our national bird to be a turkey. :P
There were some near where I grew up, but that was expected because it was a wilderness mountainous area.

;;;
My place is lousy with bald eagles.
They're like pigeons in the cities.

- The Regulars Lounge Thread -

Those who have only the religious opinions of others in their head & worship them. Have no room for their own thoughts & no room to contemplate anyone elses ideas either-More

morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Sep. 4th, 2011 @ 11:45 AM Reply

again ,in my back yard

morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Sep. 4th, 2011 @ 11:48 AM Reply

When we don't see one, that actually gets commented on...haven't seen an eagle or osprey today !

RydiaLockheart
RydiaLockheart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Sep. 4th, 2011 @ 01:11 PM Reply

Those pictures are gorgeous. I love birds of prey.

Heard from a friend of mine in Northeastern Ohio. There's an eagles' nest in her neighborhood somewhere. One day, an eagle landed in a tree in her backyard and was eying a groundhog. A bunch of smaller birds swarmed it, chirping, and annoyed it enough that it went away. Strength in numbers, I guess.

Proteas
Proteas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Sep. 6th, 2011 @ 12:06 AM Reply

All I ever see around here are Red Tailed Hawks and Vultures... I'd love to see a Bald Eagle up close like that.

BBS Signature
zephiran
zephiran
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Sep. 7th, 2011 @ 05:10 PM Reply

I c wut u did tharr.

On topic: bird (pokemon)

Zephiran: Maintaining grammatical correctness while displaying astonishing levels of immaturity.
I was gonna clean my room.
But then I got pie.

BBS Signature
stafffighter
stafffighter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Sep. 7th, 2011 @ 06:55 PM Reply

I've talked this over with Seven and we agree that if they made a movie out of this story they'd have to cast Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson to play the police chief. You'll see why.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature
Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Sep. 7th, 2011 @ 07:14 PM Reply

I was at work today, and something stung the hell out of my forearm... on the sensitive underside.

and it puzzled me, because normally when a wasp or hornet sting me, it burns for about an hour and goes away.

I didn't see what stung me, but my entire forearm is swollen and it burned like hell for a good 3 hours before it dissipated.

I neither saw nor heard what stung me, all I know is it has a big stinger it left in my arm... and it hurt like hell.

I'm not crazy, everyone else is.

Malachy
Malachy
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Sep. 7th, 2011 @ 07:21 PM Reply

At 9/7/11 07:14 PM, Korriken wrote: I was at work today, and something stung the hell out of my forearm... on the sensitive underside.

and it puzzled me, because normally when a wasp or hornet sting me, it burns for about an hour and goes away.

I didn't see what stung me, but my entire forearm is swollen and it burned like hell for a good 3 hours before it dissipated.

I neither saw nor heard what stung me, all I know is it has a big stinger it left in my arm... and it hurt like hell.

are you sure it wasn't a spiky tree/plant that you might be allergic to? Assuming of course that it happened while you were outside or walking by some plants - I've noticed there are a lot of plants with spikes in them and they have a habit of growing at arm height.

¥ ¥

BBS Signature
Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Sep. 8th, 2011 @ 08:25 AM Reply

At 9/7/11 07:21 PM, Malachy wrote:
are you sure it wasn't a spiky tree/plant that you might be allergic to? Assuming of course that it happened while you were outside or walking by some plants - I've noticed there are a lot of plants with spikes in them and they have a habit of growing at arm height.

no, i was in a gravel parking lot nowhere near any plants.

giving it some thought, it had to be some sort of bee. only bees leave their stingers behind, also, there was some insect innards attached to the stinger.

RydiaLockheart
RydiaLockheart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Sep. 11th, 2011 @ 11:13 AM Reply

My old phone died and I now have a Droid Bionic. This is my first smartphone so I'm still a little overwhelmed by the features. I also need to get my fiance to quit playing with it. XD

Malachy
Malachy
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Sep. 11th, 2011 @ 01:40 PM Reply

At 9/11/11 11:13 AM, RydiaLockheart wrote: My old phone died and I now have a Droid Bionic. This is my first smartphone so I'm still a little overwhelmed by the features. I also need to get my fiance to quit playing with it. XD

Im so jelly. But I still <3 my droid 3

¥ ¥

BBS Signature
Proteas
Proteas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Sep. 13th, 2011 @ 12:31 PM Reply

<.<

>.>

>_<;

I'm posting this here because it's too cool to keep to myself, and if I post it on facebook I run the risk of my brother seeing and trying to swipe it the next time he's over here visiting.

My dad was in his tool shed the other day and found this... it's not like my dad to keep something like this out in the shed, where it got rusted badly by the weather, so I'm assuming that it was left by the previous owner of our property (who has since passed on) from before we moved in. My dad took it out, ground all the rust off and polished it up, then used it to chop up a pork roast for a bbq dinner that night.

Pictured next to a 2 liter coke-a-cola bottle for size comparison. The blade is about 1/4" thick, and it weighs a good two or three pounds.

BBS Signature
Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Sep. 13th, 2011 @ 07:04 PM Reply

At 9/13/11 12:31 PM, Proteas wrote: check out this big ass cleaver!

that cleaver is massive. It must be 2 or 3 (or 5) decades old to be so thick heavy and still in such good shape despite being neglected. Either that or it's a rather interesting hatchet.. i mean seriously, 3 pounds? that's like a bladed maul.

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Sep. 13th, 2011 @ 07:09 PM Reply

I've been pondering writing a guide on being a bachelor. I figure I've had quite a bit of experience in it and have collected a lot of great ideas on how to survive on nothing, and stay alive, well, and decently healthy in places that would KILL a normal person.

I might toss a few tips on my personal board thingy. If it gathers a modest following i might consider writing a book, never know, it might be a best seller.

RydiaLockheart
RydiaLockheart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Sep. 13th, 2011 @ 09:27 PM Reply

My wedding is in 17 days. I'm probably calmer than I should be. Though my work schedule will be crazy tomorrow. The fiance and I are heading back home to see the judge, then I need to finalize some stuff with the cake baker and the reception hall. I know we're doing a groom's cake...but other than it being chocolate I have no idea what to do. Yeah.

Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Sep. 13th, 2011 @ 09:31 PM Reply

At 9/13/11 07:09 PM, Korriken wrote: I've been pondering writing a guide on being a bachelor. I figure I've had quite a bit of experience in it and have collected a lot of great ideas on how to survive on nothing, and stay alive, well, and decently healthy in places that would KILL a normal person.

We should co-author a book called "How to Live Without Money"

Proteas
Proteas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Sep. 13th, 2011 @ 11:52 PM Reply

At 9/13/11 07:04 PM, Korriken wrote: that cleaver is massive. It must be 2 or 3 (or 5) decades old to be so thick heavy and still in such good shape despite being neglected. Either that or it's a rather interesting hatchet.. i mean seriously, 3 pounds? that's like a bladed maul.

It kind of makes me wonder what the previous owner of our property was up to that he would even HAVE such a massive piece like this, much less out in the shed. He was a retired Navy Chaplain, not much of a cook as far as I knew. Unless it was my grandfather's, but there again, if it was it wouldn't have been stored out there, and we would have seen it when we were moving his stuff up here years ago...

It's hard to think it's been 5 years since he passed away. :-(

At 9/13/11 09:31 PM, Elfer wrote: We should co-author a book called "How to Live Without Money"

There's a section in Abbie Hoffman's "Steal This Book!" entirely dedicated to that. How to make a couch out of pvc piping and tarps, how to make an entertainment center out of brick cynder blocks and 2x4's, just random stuff like that. It would be a good reference material.

Bet you guys didn't think I that I would have THAT one in my library, didja?

BBS Signature
Proteas
Proteas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Sep. 14th, 2011 @ 01:16 PM Reply

I guess the better joke would have been, "There's already a book like that, it's called '101 ways to cook Top Ramen?'"

BBS Signature