Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-12-18 08:52:28 Reply

At 12/17/13 08:28 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote:
Glad to be in the house. Now if only our basement didn't look like a loading dock. This is especially the case seeing as how the front door is on the first floor and the garage is basement level, so we're coming in that way mostly.

I guess in that respect, I'm lucky. Almost every I own fits in my car, I would only have to make a second trip to pick up a fre items.

I'm not crazy, everyone else is.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-12-18 16:59:45 Reply

Got another friggen gout outbreak in my foot... Feels like I broke a bone.

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-12-19 00:43:26 Reply

At 12/18/13 04:59 PM, Camarohusky wrote: Got another friggen gout outbreak in my foot... Feels like I broke a bone.

I know treatments for many kinds of illness and injuries. Gout isn't one of them.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-12-19 05:35:34 Reply

At 12/19/13 12:43 AM, Korriken wrote: I know treatments for many kinds of illness and injuries. Gout isn't one of them.

Was given a burxt of prednisone, and the swelling and pain have already gone down. Caught it early this time. The other two times I had it I swelled up a bunch (my left ankle grew to the size of a softball) and the pain lasted for days.

morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-12-19 12:49:29 Reply

At 12/19/13 05:35 AM, Camarohusky wrote:
At 12/19/13 12:43 AM, Korriken wrote:
Was given a burxt of prednisone, and the swelling and pain have already gone down. Caught it early this time. The other two times I had it I swelled up a bunch (my left ankle grew to the size of a softball) and the pain lasted for days.

;;;
Had my first experience with gout in Sept this year …I thought I had broken my toe …seems that some medications can cause a build up of uric acid, I take a diuretic that causes mine, I have learned to pay close attention to my fluid intake & unless I see a build up of fluids, I don't take the diuretic ( lasik's is what the nurse practitioner calls it) I can't remember its actual drug name …but its like having hot broken glass inside your joints ….

So I can definitely feel for you Camarohusky, hope it clears up fopr you soon

Those who have only the religious opinions of others in their head & worship them. Have no room for their own thoughts & no room to contemplate anyone elses ideas either-More

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-12-19 15:15:26 Reply

At 12/19/13 12:49 PM, morefngdbs wrote: So I can definitely feel for you Camarohusky, hope it clears up fopr you soon

Thanks.

The pain's bad, but it's not the worst part of it. Well, it was the first time, but after having three bouts in two years, the pain has become much easier to manage. The biggest thing I hate about it now is the loss of function in the joint. Not only does the swelling restrict the motio y itself, the pain does as well.

The first time it was my ankle so I was limping for a week. The second time my right wrist was out, and I had a class. Luckily my fingers still worked anbd I didn't have to handwrite anything. This time it's my right foot (in the arch). My limp is mostly gone, but I can't drive yet due to the pain.

If tomorrow progresses as well as today did, I should be pretty much back to normal.

X-Gary-Gigax-X
X-Gary-Gigax-X
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Art Lover
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-12-20 20:18:43 Reply

Husky if you aren't already a political science teacher, why aren't you?

BBS Signature
Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-12-20 20:27:07 Reply

At 12/20/13 08:18 PM, X-Gary-Gigax-X wrote: Husky if you aren't already a political science teacher, why aren't you?

I've never been very good at teaching. I'd be more like one of those professors who exists mainly to research.

Anyway, I like law better than politics. I guess it's the math base I have.

RydiaLockheart
RydiaLockheart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 32
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2013-12-24 22:53:44 Reply

I had to work today. I also have to work New Year's Eve. Thanks to everything being in the middle of the week, the company ran out of allotted days off. I still got off at 1:30, but...eh.

Ended up needing to run to the grocery store for stuff for tomorrow after we ate everything. THAT was insane. Not necessarily the store, but the parking lot.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-01-01 02:20:52 Reply

So 2013 is almost over (well, it actually is over for most of you out there, but not my sliver of the world yet.)

What are everyone's goals and expectations for the coming year?

I've had three main life goals since May of 2012 and I feel that my body and my mind are finally prepared to achieve them.
- Pass the bar (yeah, you try juggling dialysis, its attendant illnesses, bar study, and passing the bar exam. Missed by less than a point last time out.)
- Get a legal job - shouldn't be too difficult after passing the bar. after all, I can open my own firm, need be
- get a new kidney - I have no control over this, but my wait time has been racking up for a while now

If I can accomplish 2 of these, next year will be considered a resounding success.

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-01-02 11:23:31 Reply

At 1/1/14 02:20 AM, Camarohusky wrote: So 2013 is almost over (well, it actually is over for most of you out there, but not my sliver of the world yet.)

What are everyone's goals and expectations for the coming year?

I was thinking about learning the ins and outs of electronics so I can make unique remote controlled vehicles.

I'm about done trying to do art, I seem to have some latent talent for it, but I also can't seem to get much better at it.

I'm also planning on finding someone who can teach me music theory. Plenty of people around here that can teach a person to play just about any instrument, but no one wants to actually teach the theory behind it. any inbred hick can play an instrument, but I desire a deeper understanding.

That and I'm looking more into the EMT gig. I'm ill right now, but once I've recovered, I'm paying the school a visit in person and be stubborn as hell about getting information. I spoke with the paramedic who tipped me off on the training and he said that's how he got in, gave me the name of the person he spoke to and told me I can find him at the school. Korriken's legendary stubbornness is about to claim another victim.

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-01-02 15:09:54 Reply

well, I've decided I want to build a radio control Airship, like the ones found in fantasy games, which will look something like a water based ship with propellers instead of sails. from what I've researched, you can get some thick foam insulation, cut it up, and make it into a remote controlled craft quite easily. It's also very light weight and surprisingly durable.

Also, I want to make some propeller driven remote control cars.

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-01-09 01:00:59 Reply

I have figured out a way to make some extra money. I was at the local flea market on Sunday, helping the local market's game store owner repair an arcade machine. The owner of the flea market wandered in, and once I realized who he was, began to chat him up about prices of setting up. I discovered that the inside booths were rather costly, but an outside table on the pavillion (which are pretty damned big) are a mere $10 a day.

After asking him about restrictions, it became apparent that I could possibly take an old, old hobby of mine and make it profitable. Best part is, it's something I'm already good at! He said the only restrictions he places on the sellers is that it can't be illegal (duh) age restricted by law (so no guns, tobacco, alcohol, etc) or steal business from the restaurant that the flea market is built around, so no hot food, and can't be set up too similar to the businesses running from the indoor booths, However, most of these booths sell junk, so those don't really count...

Turns out, baked goods are fair game, for now. I plan on making some fresh homemade bread, muffins (by the half dozen), and cookies (by the dozen) and setting up at a booth. I can't sell single anything because it would be considered "ready to eat", but if someone bought a dozen cookies, it's fair game (not to mention would be less tedious for me to move).

It would SEEM kind of ridiculous to try, but after haunting the place every weekend for the last couple of months, I smell opportunity. Problem is, the oven in my place was is busted and it's so old the replacement parts are practically nonexistent. After I save up some extra scratch to get an oven big enough I can make multiple loaves of break, or multiple batches of cookies at the same time with, I'm giving it a shot.

I've failed to make something of myself to this point, but I figure if I keep trying, I'll succeed, even if it by accident.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-01-09 11:24:30 Reply

At 1/9/14 03:42 AM, Light wrote: Lord knows being an entrepreneur is hard work.

It does sound quite fun though. Structuring your own little world in among the current system.

When my time comes if there are no jobs available, I will be creating my own firm. The prospect both worries and excites me.

It worries me as I'll be completely on my own with no back up or resources. Yet it excites me as it will be all mine and everything that comes of it would be my creation.

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-01-09 19:05:00 Reply

At 1/9/14 11:24 AM, Camarohusky wrote:
At 1/9/14 03:42 AM, Light wrote: Lord knows being an entrepreneur is hard work.

Thanks.

It does sound quite fun though. Structuring your own little world in among the current system.

That's the plan, carve out my own little niche. The business is already there, people already swarm the area. All I gotta do is convince them to buy my confections instead of some half broken piece of junk sitting in a stall.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-01-10 01:38:46 Reply

At 1/9/14 09:20 PM, Light wrote: I always thought only the more experienced lawyers could pull that off after working in another firm. Best of luck, though.

It depends on the type of law. When it comes to the botique transactional fields, absolutely (i.e. bankruptcy, health care, in depth business, complex contracts and so on.) However, I would be doing juvenile trial work. I have done it before and I know a great deal of resources I can pull from to aid me. Trial work is just as much about style and skill as it is about knowledge of law and experience.

There are some rural counties nearby that are begging for juvenile defense attorneys (as conflict require a high amount of them even for a small amount of cases) and my year's worth of experience already places me among the top among all attorneys in terms of experience in this particular niche.

RydiaLockheart
RydiaLockheart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 32
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-01-10 17:35:33 Reply

I used to seriously freak out at the thought of LASIK surgery, but now I'm seriously thinking of having it done. Not certain yet though. Though I will definitely need to wait until after my insurance changes at work, since we're switching providers.

I'm allergic to the nickel in my glasses. I've been using clear nail polish as a fix, but now I'm starting to get raccoon eyes. The really weird part of this is I only get them if I wear my glasses in the morning, never in the evening or nighttime. It's very weird. At first I thought about changing my glasses, but then I thought I could get rid of the whole contacts/glasses mess for good, especially since my optometrist had already said I'm a good candidate for LASIK.

morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-01-11 11:56:09 Reply

At 1/10/14 05:35 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote: I since my optometrist had already said I'm a good candidate for LASIK.

Good luck there Rydia ….I have been using reading glasses for about 5 years now …they suck .
But my ability to read fine print, see small up close detail is completely gone …Getting old sucks

Those who have only the religious opinions of others in their head & worship them. Have no room for their own thoughts & no room to contemplate anyone elses ideas either-More

Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-01-11 13:38:25 Reply

At 1/11/14 11:56 AM, morefngdbs wrote:
At 1/10/14 05:35 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote: I since my optometrist had already said I'm a good candidate for LASIK.
Good luck there Rydia ….I have been using reading glasses for about 5 years now …they suck .
But my ability to read fine print, see small up close detail is completely gone …Getting old sucks

my eyes were 20/20 I think when I was in grade school but around the beginning of high school I noticed that the far side of the soccer field or basketball court was getting kind of fuzzy and blurry. I did get some glasses during 10th or 11th grade but I didn't start wearing them regularly until after I graduated. I wear contacts and glasses now every day. My script is only -1.5 but my eye doc said I have an astigmatism which is more pronounced in my left eye so I have 1 special contact.

It's not a big hassle to me but if I had more uncomfortable contacts (like I had when I first got them) or if I had a reaction to my glasses like rydia I would probably want to know if lasik were possible.

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥
¥ ♡ ¥
Blag [updated: 5/15/2015] ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature
morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-01-12 11:23:27 Reply

At 1/11/14 01:38 PM, Malachy wrote:
my eyes were 20/20 My script is only -1.5 but my eye doc said I have an astigmatism which is more pronounced in my left eye so I have 1 special contact.

;;;
I also have one eye that has a condition my doctor calls a keyhole eye, basicly my iris opening is oblong (mine actually looks like a skeleton keyhole lock opening) & it doesn't contract as small as it should in bright light. So when I was young most all of my photo's show me squinting .the eye is also weaker , so one of my glasses lens is thicker than the other & unlike my brothers i can't just go buy those cheap reader glasses from the stores …which sucks , cause they're cheap & you can buy a dozen of those cheaper than a prescription & keep them in the truck, night side table for reading, various places in the workshop where seeing fine detail is important etc

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-01-13 23:17:59 Reply

At 1/13/14 08:36 PM, Korriken wrote: are you freaking KIDDING me?

If it's all true, it's a shitty deal. However, my gut tells me we're getting half the story (at best). Methinks there is some key bit of info that isn't being told here.

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-01-14 08:47:13 Reply

At 1/13/14 11:17 PM, Camarohusky wrote:
If it's all true, it's a shitty deal. However, my gut tells me we're getting half the story (at best). Methinks there is some key bit of info that isn't being told here.

my inner cynic said the same thing. My outer cynic agreed. I get the feeling that he got locked up for something else...

On a lighter note...

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-01-24 06:05:13 Reply

I dehydrated a cantaloupe last night to see how it would turn out.

It's very sweet and very chewy. yum.

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-01-24 11:13:32 Reply

Please be considerate to your home on these freezing winter days.

- The Regulars Lounge Thread -

X-Gary-Gigax-X
X-Gary-Gigax-X
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Art Lover
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-01-24 12:38:53 Reply

At 1/24/14 11:13 AM, Korriken wrote: Please be considerate to your home on these freezing winter days.

I'm very entertained by your recent posts, wanted to say.

BBS Signature
RydiaLockheart
RydiaLockheart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 32
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-01-24 21:40:49 Reply

I can't really seem to find any good answers for this, but how long can someone survive without food? My uncle has Stage IV esophageal cancer and can't keep anything down. So he had a feeding tube put in, but even with that, he can't keep anything down. He asked that they stop using the feeding tube or feeding him, period, and his children concurred with the decision. They're still giving him water and, I think, IVs. Obviously he's in pretty bad shape, so I don't think the "3 week" period would apply here.

Honestly, we're all surprised he's still alive. We figured he'd die soon after his wife, which was four years ago. I'm just wondering when something will happen, because I'll need to find coverage at work to attend a funeral.

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-01-24 22:58:59 Reply

At 1/24/14 09:40 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote: I can't really seem to find any good answers for this, but how long can someone survive without food?

That would depend on many things, such as stored fat and muscle. Could be a few days, could be up to a few weeks (If the person has a LOT of fat and muscle stored and doesn't move much). Dehydration will generally kill you before starvation does though. You can only last a few days maybe a week and a half without water, depending on environment and how hydrated or not you already are.

morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-01-25 17:02:49 Reply

At 1/24/14 09:40 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote: I can't really seem to find any good answers for this, but how long can someone survive without food?

;;;
There is a rule of 3's I was taught years ago, in survival training.
Basicly they taught that 3 minutes without air, 3 days without water & 3 weeks without food.
These are not absolutes, but more of what would kill most people.

& any variation in that would change survival time.
being able to get moisture from a plant or other liquids etc ...when your body craves water it will extract it from any source you ingest. same thing with food , very little food will prolong your life as you body uses other reserves , the more reserves, the better situated you are to survive longer.

But that really sucks for your family member RydiaLH , sorry to hear of your upcoming loss.

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2014-01-26 18:26:34 Reply

Today I went to the flea market and got my hands on an antique food dehydrator.

I did some looking and apparently the company that made it went out of business a year after I was born. The thing still works and works well.