New Topic Respond to this Topic
Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Dec. 26th, 2010 @ 09:36 PM Reply

I am all for celebrating all the holidays. Dont believe in them, but totally in favor of celebrating them. ;p

¥ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ¥
¥ ¥
Blag [updated: 4/20/2014] ¥ ¥

BBS Signature
BrianEtrius
BrianEtrius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Dec. 26th, 2010 @ 11:23 PM Reply

Celebrate every holiday, it gives a reason to have fun.

Today's Leif Erikson day? BREAK OUT THE AXES

New to Politics?/ Friend of the Devil/ I review writing! PM me
"Question everything generally thought to be obvious."-Dieter Rams

BBS Signature
SuperDeagle
SuperDeagle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Dec. 26th, 2010 @ 11:55 PM Reply

At 12/26/10 06:53 PM, SevenSeize wrote: I didn't ask for anything either, we just use our money to spoil the kiddo.
I did get a Pepsi from 1974 to add to my collection and that makes me happy.
I hope everyone had a good one.

That's awesome. Good to see a lot of people had a good one.
We actually got snow here. A lot of people had their first white christmas this time. ha.

All I got was a pair of pants.

Wut?

BBS Signature
Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Dec. 27th, 2010 @ 01:00 AM Reply

At 12/26/10 11:23 PM, BrianEtrius wrote: Celebrate every holiday, it gives a reason to have fun.

Today's Leif Erikson day? BREAK OUT THE AXES

that sounds like a perfect excuse for axe shaped flasks!

¥ ¥

BBS Signature
BrianEtrius
BrianEtrius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Dec. 27th, 2010 @ 04:59 PM Reply

At 12/27/10 01:00 AM, Malachy wrote: that sounds like a perfect excuse for axe shaped flasks!

You also get to pillage the local supermarket for steak!

Meanwhile, the rest of the world is going, "What the hell are you on?"

BBS Signature
morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Dec. 28th, 2010 @ 02:22 PM Reply

At 12/27/10 04:59 PM, BrianEtrius wrote:
At 12/27/10 01:00 AM, Malachy wrote: that sounds like a perfect excuse for axe shaped flasks!

;;;
I would absolutely LOVE to have a glass & silver ax head shaped flask !

You also get to pillage the local supermarket for steak!

;;;THe steaks are still in the freezer, I have just started boiling the left over xmas ham/bone in preparation for my pea soup.
One of my favorite things about big dinners is making soup out of the turkey carcass or in my case out of the left over ham ~:)

Meanwhile, the rest of the world is going, "What the hell are you on?"

;;;
I'm on vodka Martini's right now along with the occassional beer & a puff or 2 .
After all , the Nor'easter that nailed us Sunday /Monday has turned into a snow storm, I'm safe at home well stocked, woodstoves blazing away, I've got a full tank of gas in my generator in case the power goes out again & I don't even have to think about work until after my birthday in January (that would be Jan- 5 for those of you thinking about sending presents !o! )

I hope this message finds all of you safe & happy as we wind up the year .
I think I need a 'nother little drinky poo

Those who have only the religious opinions of others in their head & worship them. Have no room for their own thoughts & no room to contemplate anyone elses ideas either-More

Ravariel
Ravariel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Dec. 29th, 2010 @ 09:27 PM Reply

Dirty!

seriously, though: dirty.

Tis better to sit in silence and be presumed a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Ravariel
Ravariel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Dec. 30th, 2010 @ 04:36 AM Reply

Freezing rain has completely iced up the roads... can't afford to lose more work hours right now, but can't afford a tow truck or front end work when my car goes off the road either. Stoopid weather.

Tis better to sit in silence and be presumed a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

lapis
lapis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Dec. 30th, 2010 @ 12:44 PM Reply

Question: why is MoralLibertarian living in South Korea? Because of the scarcity of (legal) dog meat stew in his home country? Because he had a gaming addiction that in his opinion did not get the amount of respect from his peers that he thought it deserved? Because he knew someone who got killed in the Virginia Tech shooting, so he went to South Korea to better understand Cho Seung Hui's motives and, in the process, come to terms with his bitter sense of loss about not having been able to say goodbye to his friend --- an experience that he will later on summarise through film, in a short autobiographic documentary called "Being Moral in South Korea: A Libertarian's Memoir"?

At 12/30/10 04:36 AM, Ravariel wrote:

By the way; this might not be place to discuss this, but unless you have something about which you'd really like me to say something about then I'll probably not continue our discussion in that topic about ... what was it, abortion or something? I've been gone a few days and reading back through the last few posts I'm not immediately sure what's left to talk to about :)

BBS Signature
Ravariel
Ravariel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Dec. 30th, 2010 @ 01:07 PM Reply

Eh, I think we've covered everything... we had gotten fairly far off topic anyway. Time to let them discuss the matter at hand rather than some crazy tangential philosophical discussion only vaguely related :P

Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Dec. 30th, 2010 @ 03:52 PM Reply

On Christmas getting stuff: I got some locking carabiners, a few quickdraws, and a few books. My parents gave me a pasta rolling/cutting attachment set for my kitchenaid mixer, which is pretty sweet. Also my girlfriend's brother and his wife got me a red t-shirt. Nice!

On politics forum: Anyone doing an awards thread this year? I remember there not being one last year, but that could be indicative of a general lack of interest.

Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Dec. 30th, 2010 @ 03:59 PM Reply

At 12/30/10 03:52 PM, Elfer wrote: On politics forum: Anyone doing an awards thread this year? I remember there not being one last year, but that could be indicative of a general lack of interest.

Nobody has stepped up to do it but I suppose there's still time if they want to.

I think it's just general lack of interest. I think after a couple of tries we all realized that Poli generally has a smaller userbase so even with fewer awards than General has still leaves almost everyone being awarded with something.

¥ ¥

BBS Signature
BrianEtrius
BrianEtrius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Dec. 30th, 2010 @ 04:17 PM Reply

At 12/30/10 03:59 PM, Malachy wrote: I think it's just general lack of interest. I think after a couple of tries we all realized that Poli generally has a smaller userbase so even with fewer awards than General has still leaves almost everyone being awarded with something.

I agree with this. When it comes down to it, there's maybe, what, 25, 30 people here that post regularly. So to have an awards thread means that practically half the users here will win something.

BBS Signature
RydiaLockheart
RydiaLockheart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Dec. 30th, 2010 @ 08:07 PM Reply

September 30, 2011.

Got the wedding date and the venue. Got the party (though there will probably be drama from those I left out). Need an officiant and a DJ, first of all. I'm barely in and all the details are starting to overwhelm me.

There is one girl I'm leaving out of my bridal party though she seems to automatically assume I'm putting her in. One, she's in a terrible financial situation so I can't ask her to drop money on stuff like a dress. Two, my fiance can't stand her, for justifiable reasons. Three, I'm not so sure she's reliable. I just know there will be a meltdown and it won't be pretty.

MoralLibertarian
MoralLibertarian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Dec. 30th, 2010 @ 08:30 PM Reply

At 12/30/10 12:44 PM, lapis wrote: Question: why is MoralLibertarian living in South Korea? Because of the scarcity of (legal) dog meat stew in his home country?

I'm teaching English here. Initially, the reason was "why not?" but now that I'm here I've found a lot of things I like about the country. Like the food. And the women. Not the beer though. North Korea makes better beer than South Korea, if you can believe that. It's a nice place to be. I may stick around for a while.

I remember some of these people. Wow!

Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Dec. 30th, 2010 @ 08:35 PM Reply

While meandering Lowe's today I saw something that looked promising. It's an electric fireplace and/or TV stand. it says the "flame" works with or without heat.

...I do need a TV stand in my bedroom since we're using an antique little bench that belongs at the end of the bed that my grand grandfather built as a TV stand now.

Proteas, is this thing legit and/or will it burn down my house...also, can I just stick it wherever I want and plug it into a normal 120v outlet or do I need to install it?

- The Regulars Lounge Thread -

¥ ¥

BBS Signature
Proteas
Proteas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Dec. 30th, 2010 @ 11:28 PM Reply

At 12/30/10 08:35 PM, Malachy wrote: Proteas, is this thing legit and/or will it burn down my house...also, can I just stick it wherever I want and plug it into a normal 120v outlet or do I need to install it?

I work in paint, man, I couldn't tell you for 100% sure, but I'm as confused by that bit of signage as you are. But, from what I can tell, it's this model of fireplace if you want to read the technical specs on it. I'd call them up in the morning and ask for an explanation.

BBS Signature
Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Dec. 31st, 2010 @ 01:24 AM Reply

At 12/30/10 11:28 PM, Proteas wrote:
At 12/30/10 08:35 PM, Malachy wrote: Proteas, is this thing legit and/or will it burn down my house...also, can I just stick it wherever I want and plug it into a normal 120v outlet or do I need to install it?
I work in paint, man, I couldn't tell you for 100% sure, but I'm as confused by that bit of signage as you are. But, from what I can tell, it's this model of fireplace if you want to read the technical specs on it. I'd call them up in the morning and ask for an explanation.

Thanks for the link, I tried searching the name in the pic earlier but it kept saying no results. Looks like it plugs into a standard outlet, although I'm unsure how it will do with carpeting to sit on top of. Also, $679 is a bit much, I could just as well buy a bigger TV or a new couch or 3/4 of my rent. But that would be a pretty awesome thing to just have wherever you want in a cheap ass apartment like mine

¥ ¥

BBS Signature
morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Dec. 31st, 2010 @ 08:44 AM Reply

At 12/31/10 01:24 AM, Malachy wrote: But that would be a pretty awesome thing to just have wherever you want in a cheap ass apartment like mine

;;;
1300+ watts...pretty damn expensive Malachy.
I don't know what you pay for electricity...I know its going up again here tomorrow (Jan 1) 6th increase in 9 years & my consumption is right around where it has always been, yet my bills 10 years ago were under 75 dollars, now they're over 100.
So if you have no other choices, electric heater it is...still 1300+ watts an hour is going to add up in a hurry !
For that amount of earnings...one would think the power companies would be giving these away !

Those who have only the religious opinions of others in their head & worship them. Have no room for their own thoughts & no room to contemplate anyone elses ideas either-More

zephiran
zephiran
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Dec. 31st, 2010 @ 09:32 AM Reply

Aren't electric fireplaces just eyecandy? You'd get more efficiency out of a standard oil heater paired with an imitation fireplace made from spare bricks, ceramic gas logs and some tealights I reckon.

There's a certain "Bling" factor to be considered when making these sorts of purchases however... Tealights, as adorable as they are, don't go high on the "Bling" scale I'm afraid.

Zephiran: Maintaining grammatical correctness while displaying astonishing levels of immaturity.
I was gonna clean my room.
But then I got pie.

BBS Signature
Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Dec. 31st, 2010 @ 11:46 AM Reply

At 12/30/10 08:35 PM, Malachy wrote: While meandering Lowe's today I saw something that looked promising. It's an electric fireplace and/or TV stand. it says the "flame" works with or without heat.

...I do need a TV stand in my bedroom since we're using an antique little bench that belongs at the end of the bed that my grand grandfather built as a TV stand now.

Proteas, is this thing legit and/or will it burn down my house...also, can I just stick it wherever I want and plug it into a normal 120v outlet or do I need to install it?

I've seen one of those things recently, they're pretty bizarre. I'm not sure how the fake flames work, but I kind of want to look into it now that it's come up again. (Just looked it up; the flames are produced by a light bulb refracted in a random three-dimensional pattern. That doesn't tell me much about the actual mechanism, but it's certainly not hazardous.)

In terms of a fire hazard, I'd say you should take the same precautions you would with any electric heater. They're basically a heating coil and a fan with a box of special effects around it.

Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Dec. 31st, 2010 @ 01:42 PM Reply

At 12/31/10 09:32 AM, zephiran wrote: Aren't electric fireplaces just eyecandy? You'd get more efficiency out of a standard oil heater paired with an imitation fireplace made from spare bricks, ceramic gas logs and some tealights I reckon.

There's a certain "Bling" factor to be considered when making these sorts of purchases however... Tealights, as adorable as they are, don't go high on the "Bling" scale I'm afraid.

Exactly. Obviously at that price I am just daydreaming. If I really wanted a fake fireplace, I'd probably pick up the $300 one or one that doesn't give off any heat.

I was simply struck by how strange it was that they have these fireplaces you can just plug into the wall and place wherever you want. It's more of a "that's pretty awesome" than "oh man, that'd be a great idea for heating my house"

At 12/31/10 08:44 AM, morefngdbs wrote:
At 12/31/10 01:24 AM, Malachy wrote: But that would be a pretty awesome thing to just have wherever you want in a cheap ass apartment like mine
;;;
1300+ watts...pretty damn expensive Malachy.

pfft, I moved to Florida this summer, My electric bills are like 75 a month with the central A/C running pretty much all day long. I'd doubt that I would ever turn on the heating feature of the unit.

¥ ¥

BBS Signature
ThePretenders
ThePretenders
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Dec. 31st, 2010 @ 07:05 PM Reply

Happy New Year!

BBS Signature
Ravariel
Ravariel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Dec. 31st, 2010 @ 07:33 PM Reply

At 12/31/10 07:05 PM, ThePretenders wrote: Happy New Year!

Silly brits and your jumping the gun. Don't you know that the only "new year" that counts is the one in Eastern Time?

Proteas
Proteas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Dec. 31st, 2010 @ 08:04 PM Reply

Well, while we're on the subject of winter heating, I found something morefngdbs (and a few others) might like; newspaper log roller. I know you chop your own wood to put in your stove, but I figured you might get some use out of that as a way to both effectively dispose of newspaper and get your fires started.

I actually made something of a ghetto version of that this afternoon. While as previously mentioned in the wikileaks topic, I don't read or buy newspapers, my folks, however, do. And since we don't have trash pickup, I'm forced to burn these damn things with the rest of our garbage, so... this little log roller should make my life a bit easier.

I think total I spent on making this was about... $15? End product sitting in front.

BBS Signature
Proteas
Proteas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Dec. 31st, 2010 @ 08:05 PM Reply

Forgot pic.

Oh, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

BBS Signature
lapis
lapis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Dec. 31st, 2010 @ 08:52 PM Reply

Agh, I left a window open before I left and now my house smells like gunpowder. Bad omen for the rest of the year. Or will it help to scare away evil spirits?

vrolijk nieuwjaar iedereen en het beste in 2011

BBS Signature
SevenSeize
SevenSeize
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Dec. 31st, 2010 @ 10:44 PM Reply

At 12/30/10 08:07 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote: September 30, 2011.

Got the wedding date and the venue. Got the party (though there will probably be drama from those I left out). Need an officiant and a DJ, first of all. I'm barely in and all the details are starting to overwhelm me.

Don't stress out over it, take it slow. Do a little at a time.

There is one girl I'm leaving out of my bridal party though she seems to automatically assume I'm putting her in. One, she's in a terrible financial situation so I can't ask her to drop money on stuff like a dress. Two, my fiance can't stand her, for justifiable reasons. Three, I'm not so sure she's reliable. I just know there will be a meltdown and it won't be pretty.

Oh well, it's your day and if she can't drop the drama, she's not really a friend you need to have around anyway.

At 12/30/10 08:30 PM, MoralLibertarian wrote: I'm teaching English here. Initially, the reason was "why not?" but now that I'm here I've found a lot of things I like about the country. Like the food. And the women. Not the beer though. North Korea makes better beer than South Korea, if you can believe that. It's a nice place to be. I may stick around for a while.

That is awesome to hear, hope you stick around here as well sir.

At 12/30/10 08:35 PM, Malachy wrote: While meandering Lowe's today I saw something that looked promising. It's an electric fireplace and/or TV stand. it says the "flame" works with or without heat.

Does it come with a bear skin rug?

Happy 2011 to all you people and remember, this marks one more year until we all die in 2012.

Ravariel
Ravariel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Dec. 31st, 2010 @ 10:50 PM Reply

At 12/31/10 08:52 PM, lapis wrote: Agh, I left a window open before I left and now my house smells like gunpowder. Bad omen for the rest of the year. Or will it help to scare away evil spirits?

vrolijk nieuwjaar iedereen en het beste in 2011

Completely unrelated tangent: As a person who is fluent in English and can get by in German, Dutch is a really interesting language to me. It strikes a mid-point between the two that is remarkable, in that as a speaker of English only in the (late) 90s, on my trip to Amsterdam I could mostly understand the tour-guides who only spoke Dutch, and now that I have learned German, I can practically read Dutch, too. Granted some of the minutiae of the grammar and the words that don't have easy cognates still get by me, but on a purely etymological level, it's kinda cool.

Oh, und hat jeder eine wunderbar neue Jahre!

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - Dec. 31st, 2010 @ 10:56 PM Reply

i work i a furniture store and we sell these things.

the flame is an illusion. its not a real fire.

I'm not crazy, everyone else is.