New Topic Respond to this Topic
TheShrike
TheShrike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-14 12:22:33 Reply

At 3/14/03 12:14 PM, Mr_Y wrote: About France, I'm not going to talk about the "kick me" sign, but their geographic location really affects them in terms of war and conflict. They have an open seaway in the Mediterranean Sea, which links them with 3 continents (Africa, Asia, and Europe). They are also linked with many countries with their opening in the north. This makes them a big target.

Yes, but I do not hesitate to mock any nation that was conquered by Germany back then. Yes, the US ignored the problem until it was too large, but so did every other nation in Europe. Hitler's rise to power and the buildup of arms in Germany... C'mon... it was just a few years after WWI, and these guys were PISSED. Yes, the geographic location of France does leave it rather exposed, but the French have no one to blame Vichny (?) France upon but themselves.

"A witty quote proves nothing."
~Voltaire

BBS Signature
Mr-Y
Mr-Y
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-14 12:42:51 Reply

At 3/14/03 12:22 PM, TheShrike wrote: Yes, but I do not hesitate to mock any nation that was conquered by Germany back then. Yes, the US ignored the problem until it was too large, but so did every other nation in Europe. Hitler's rise to power and the buildup of arms in Germany... C'mon... it was just a few years after WWI, and these guys were PISSED. Yes, the geographic location of France does leave it rather exposed, but the French have no one to blame Vichny (?) France upon but themselves.

I guess France did have fault in it - ok, it wasn't only the geographic location - I guess it was a lot more than that. In about WWI... Germany did have a good reason to fight - they were fighting because England bossed them around too much and took over so much of the globe (WW2's genocide was totally wrong though)... but let's not get into that, and go back to talking about the current situation with Iraq.

Mr-Y
Mr-Y
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-14 12:44:09 Reply

BTW... it would be great if people can post links to different topics in this topic that are related, to allow people from here to post there in case they want to concentrate more on it. I remember some topics on the situation with Iraq, but I think they're dead.

panik
panik
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-14 13:11:22 Reply

hMMM I guess its easy for you to have debates with the same people who have the same opinions as you. Hey!!! just think this way you will always be right!!! Wow what a concept. Infact every body will be right because you all have the same opinion. And there will be no arguements or fights... I think you came up with a plan that will create world peace. Blonde haired, fair skined, blue eyes, children of the corn. Have fun being right.

JMHX
JMHX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-14 16:28:00 Reply

At 3/14/03 01:11 PM, panik wrote: Blonde haired, fair skined, blue eyes, children of the corn. Have fun being right.

It's the children of the corn bit that had me rolling over. The whole post was so angry until then.

BBS Signature
panik
panik
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-14 16:34:55 Reply

At 3/14/03 04:28 PM, JudgeMeHarshX wrote:
At 3/14/03 01:11 PM, panik wrote: Blonde haired, fair skined, blue eyes, children of the corn. Have fun being right.
It's the children of the corn bit that had me rolling over. The whole post was so angry until then.

I didn't mean to come off angry just a bit sarcastic, but I ll keep that in mind next time.

JMHX
JMHX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-14 16:45:02 Reply

It's difficult to get hot tempers in here. Mwahaha. I don't think anything is very insulting here, except for some of the things I read about the French. Some were just evil.

BBS Signature
panik
panik
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-14 17:44:51 Reply

At 3/14/03 04:45 PM, JudgeMeHarshX wrote: It's difficult to get hot tempers in here. Mwahaha. I don't think anything is very insulting here, except for some of the things I read about the French. Some were just evil.

Yeah I guess I do go off on the french alot but they did something back right after 911 that just really made me so mad (the gov. said and french were protesting that they would not turn over any terriosists or help us locate anyone related to the 911 incident if there was any chance that they could be prosecuted and executed because they dont have the death penalty over there) and then now they cant show any support. And its not just that they cant show any support but just flat out sticking their noses in the air. But the comments and protesting after 911 is what really set me off. What do you think?

Mr-Y
Mr-Y
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-14 19:54:09 Reply

At 3/14/03 01:11 PM, panik wrote: hMMM I guess its easy for you to have debates with the same people who have the same opinions as you. Hey!!! just think this way you will always be right!!! Wow what a concept. Infact every body will be right because you all have the same opinion. And there will be no arguements or fights... I think you came up with a plan that will create world peace. Blonde haired, fair skined, blue eyes, children of the corn. Have fun being right.

That doesn't sound that bad, but then if we did all share the same opinion it won't be so interesting right? I'm not saying omg ok just come here and fight someone for the fun of it, but debating isn't totally about offending other people. It's pretty interesting to see people with different opinions coming to here and posting their opinions, even if it totally goes against yours, so you can argue for your side. If everyone in the world had one opinion, how boring would it be? There's two kind of fights... the retarded one - when people fight for stupid reasons like "OMFG ur a N00B, omfg ur opinion sucks, just stfu", and the one that's actually reasonable - when people can go against another person's opinions or statements with good reasons, like "No, the U.S. is not doing even close to everything they can to reduce carbon dioxide that causes the greenhouse effect, they said told the Kyoto Conference in 1997 to go fuck themselves". The second one may seem nerdy, but it's the only way to start a reasonable debate.

-Mr_Y

Mr-Y
Mr-Y
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-14 19:57:22 Reply

At 3/14/03 05:44 PM, panik wrote:
At 3/14/03 04:45 PM, JudgeMeHarshX wrote: It's difficult to get hot tempers in here. Mwahaha. I don't think anything is very insulting here, except for some of the things I read about the French. Some were just evil.
Yeah I guess I do go off on the french alot but they did something back right after 911 that just really made me so mad (the gov. said and french were protesting that they would not turn over any terriosists or help us locate anyone related to the 911 incident if there was any chance that they could be prosecuted and executed because they dont have the death penalty over there) and then now they cant show any support. And its not just that they cant show any support but just flat out sticking their noses in the air. But the comments and protesting after 911 is what really set me off. What do you think?

Canada's a country with no death penalty too, but if we didn't do anything to 911, the U.S. would've really been pissed at us, because our low security level was one of the reasons the terrorists could get into North America. So we had to do something, even if we did not want to.

JMHX
JMHX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-14 23:01:43 Reply

The Canadians aren't that bad. We make fun of them a lot as part of our American "let's laugh at everyone" culture, and I guess it's all in harmless fun. I do enjoy Canada, though, even if their exchange rates are crap. It's a nice place to hang around, and the people are actually pretty congenial. I don't like their Prime Minister though.

BBS Signature
Ted-Easton
Ted-Easton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-14 23:30:28 Reply

At 3/14/03 07:57 PM, Mr_Y wrote: because our low security level was one of the reasons the terrorists could get into North America.

Into north america, yes, but it isn't at all our responsibility to keep terrorists out of the US. They still made it thru US customs.

Spike-J-Wolfwood
Spike-J-Wolfwood
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-15 01:33:57 Reply

This is a great idea Judge. Personally I need a place to unwind and I’m not always in the mood to tolerate some of the general forum posters. Don’t get me wrong, I like the general forum. It’s just that there tend to be too many spamers and nit-wits looking for people to attack.

Ted-Easton
Ted-Easton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-15 08:43:24 Reply

Don't get me wrong- I don't like the general forums. I've only read three intelligent posts there. Compared to here, where I'm hard pressed to find otherwise.

Mr-Y
Mr-Y
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-15 11:39:28 Reply

At 3/14/03 11:30 PM, Ted_Easton wrote: Into north america, yes, but it isn't at all our responsibility to keep terrorists out of the US. They still made it thru US customs.

It's true that it isn't our responsibility to keep terrorists out of the U.S. - we should only be responsible for our own country. What did we do to deserve that "friendly fire missile" from the American aircraft that killed 4 of our soldiers while they tried to help the U.S. in a battle?
And on the other end, we're on Osama's hit list too. Imagine a B747 crashing into the C.N. Tower in Toronto, killing thousands as it falls onto the Skydome (giant baseball stadium right under the tower).

Mr-Y
Mr-Y
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-15 11:44:40 Reply

Now, I noticed that security's pretty much higher too (Not that they haven't mentioned that about million times in the news), when I went to the States to visit my cousin (Wayland, MA - near Boston), Security at the border crossing (I was on a bus), it took them about 1 hour or even two to just let around 30 passengers around the bus. When I was on my way back to Ontario, it only took them 15 minutes to let approximately the same number of passengers across.

TheShrike
TheShrike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-15 13:59:34 Reply

At 3/15/03 11:39 AM, Mr_Y wrote:

What did we do to deserve that "friendly fire missile" from the American aircraft that killed 4 of our soldiers while they tried to help the U.S. in a battle?

And on the other end, we're on Osama's hit list too. Imagine a B747 crashing into the C.N. Tower in Toronto, killing thousands as it falls onto the Skydome (giant baseball stadium right under the tower).

I wish I could agree with what you wrote. But I think it's crap.
Osama and his idiots hate the west, and while a terrorist attack on canada is not impossible, why bother when there are still so many good US targets? If they attacked canada, it'd be 9/11 all over again, but probably less news coverage. Bush would show his condolences, and so would the leaders of every other self-respecting country, but the circus wouldn't last as long. Security is tighter, yes, but it's not impossible for them to get into the states. Especially if they use operatives who haven't made a name for themselves yet. I guess what I'm saying is that they know that an assault on Canada wouldn't have the same impact, no matter the amount of carnage, when another successful attack on the US would be gold. A big slap in the face. They want to slap us again. Not you.

And for Pete's sake, lay off the fucking pilots, already. It's not like they said "Whoa... lookie here, CANADIANS!!! Let's bomb 'em". If those guys had been frenchmen, you'd probably be laughing. Well, maybe that was a little too far, but it's clear that a communication breakdown was responsible for that. They didn't get the message "Canadians at 12' O Clock, nuke the fuckers", they weren't even told about them. They were told to pull off, but they honestly thought they were under fire, in a war zone. On the battlefeild, sometimes all you need is to think you're under attack. And friendly fire happens. It's a fact.
And why were they conducting live-ammo drills at night, anyway?

~Voltaire

BBS Signature
JMHX
JMHX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-15 14:19:28 Reply

That CN Tower is pretty shiny. Be a shame to have it turn into a low-budget 9-11 Remake.

BBS Signature
Ted-Easton
Ted-Easton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-15 17:51:06 Reply

The budweiser blimp flies into the CN tower, causing the Canadian government to knock it over with everyone inside to prevent furthur casualties.

JMHX
JMHX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-16 04:05:06 Reply

Haha, I was just thinking about a post I made earlier and how I want to revise it just now. One about Turkey being threatened with aid suspensions by the U.S. if they don't allow us to use their bases in a War on Iraq.

The thought came to mind "All your base are belong to us."

Maybe I'm just sleepy.

BBS Signature
Mr-Y
Mr-Y
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-16 13:00:11 Reply

At 3/15/03 01:59 PM, TheShrike wrote: I wish I could agree with what you wrote. But I think it's crap.
Osama and his idiots hate the west, and while a terrorist attack on canada is not impossible, why bother when there are still so many good US targets? If they attacked canada, it'd be 9/11 all over again, but probably less news coverage. Bush would show his condolences, and so would the leaders of every other self-respecting country, but the circus wouldn't last as long. Security is tighter, yes, but it's not impossible for them to get into the states. Especially if they use operatives who haven't made a name for themselves yet. I guess what I'm saying is that they know that an assault on Canada wouldn't have the same impact, no matter the amount of carnage, when another successful attack on the US would be gold. A big slap in the face. They want to slap us again. Not you.

And for Pete's sake, lay off the fucking pilots, already. It's not like they said "Whoa... lookie here, CANADIANS!!! Let's bomb 'em". If those guys had been frenchmen, you'd probably be laughing. Well, maybe that was a little too far, but it's clear that a communication breakdown was responsible for that. They didn't get the message "Canadians at 12' O Clock, nuke the fuckers", they weren't even told about them. They were told to pull off, but they honestly thought they were under fire, in a war zone. On the battlefeild, sometimes all you need is to think you're under attack. And friendly fire happens. It's a fact.
And why were they conducting live-ammo drills at night, anyway?

Ok sry I went a little overboard lol ok...
I guess Al-Qaeda does want to make a bigger scene in the United States and in Canada... and I'd like to add to that that Canada's their main entrance to the country, without us it would be much harder for them, since I don't think Mexico gives free citizenships like Canada does...

mysecondstar
mysecondstar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-16 15:40:27 Reply

gah...this is what i get for working so hard ^_^ i miss out on a French-bashing session. heh heh. i wished i had been here for the beginning of all this fiddle faddle. but if it were up to me, i'd debate Korea 'til the cow came home.

RydiaLockheart
RydiaLockheart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-16 23:56:27 Reply

I doubt I'm respected here yet, but I would love to participate in intelligent discussion. This is a great idea.

TheShrike
TheShrike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-17 00:03:31 Reply

At 3/16/03 11:56 PM, Rydia_Lockheart wrote: I doubt I'm respected here yet, but I would love to participate in intelligent discussion. This is a great idea.

Well, your name isn't Nemesisz or FlattusMaximus, so you're ok by my book.

~Voltaire

BBS Signature
NJDeadzone
NJDeadzone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-17 00:08:01 Reply

::sigh:: i used to be a regular then i took a 3 month break and now i'm back...i plan to enjoy some decent conversation again!

TheEvilOne
TheEvilOne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-17 10:33:30 Reply

At 3/16/03 01:00 PM, Mr_Y wrote: I guess Al-Qaeda does want to make a bigger scene in the United States and in Canada... and I'd like to add to that that Canada's their main entrance to the country, without us it would be much harder for them, since I don't think Mexico gives free citizenships like Canada does...

Has there been any talk up in Canada about tightening up security? It's something that probably needs to be done. It's too easy to get into Canada and then cross the US border.

NEMESiSZ
NEMESiSZ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-17 10:49:24 Reply

At 3/17/03 12:03 AM, TheShrike wrote:
Well, your name isn't Nemesisz or FlattusMaximus, so you're ok by my book.

Excuse me, didn't you just show up yesterday acting like you ran this place?

JMHX
JMHX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-17 11:14:12 Reply

Aw Nemesisz, he's all right. Let him be. Don't you have bigger issues to deal with? Hell, you have a thread named after you.

BBS Signature
NEMESiSZ
NEMESiSZ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-17 11:15:15 Reply

That's because I'm the champion of justice.

Note the smilie face icon.

mysecondstar
mysecondstar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-17 12:12:17 Reply

you know, nem, sometimes you just piss me off with you shinanigans, but other times you just crack me up.