New Topic Respond to this Topic
JMHX
JMHX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
- The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-12 22:31:24 Reply

This is an idea I've been toying around with in my mind as I'm darting around the city and eating cold Kung Pao Scallops. The disadvantage that I noticed fairly early on was that it wasn't possible to lock topics so that only certain people could post. I guess that's the point of forums, though. But anyway.

This is a thread made mainly for the regulars of the board. People who have been here awhile and have garnered a certain amount of respect and notoriety in the Politics forum. People who have made a name for themselves with stupid, pointless posts, like the recent influx of General Board rejects, are discouraged from posting in this, simply for the fact that...it's not the purpose this is meant to serve.

Regulars...by regulars I mean people like Nemesisz (whose contributions to this forum can be debated, but his counter-debates are well-planned and structured, and he just has that politician's personality), Ted Easton, Spike J. Wolfwood, Freakapotimus, Slizor, TheEvilOne, D2K Virus, JLop985, Karasz, MySecondStar...people like that. If I left your name out, I apologize.

Most regulars know who they are, and if you think you're one of the people with respect around the boards, just check your signature. Most people with the Politics Crew or League of the Militant Godless badges in them are respected enough to bear them. Basically, this is just a hang-out thread for people of intelligence and opinion that need a quick break from "debate" or have something non-political to discuss.

Enjoy.

BBS Signature
karasz
karasz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-12 22:35:53 Reply

I have to say this is a damn good idea. Also I have to say how cool it is to be thought of in the same respect as the others you have stated. In fact when I started reading your post I was wondering if I would be allowed to or not, and I must say that I am very pleased to be in here.

JMHX
JMHX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-12 22:38:27 Reply

Well, the lounge thread idea was something I pitched in the "Will the US...North Korea" thread, and MySecondStar was a good enough audience. I just hope it gets some good use.

BBS Signature
mysecondstar
mysecondstar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-13 15:57:57 Reply

hallelujah!

mysecondstar
mysecondstar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-13 15:58:57 Reply

thank you Freakapotimus! ^_^

lapslf
lapslf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-13 16:47:44 Reply

Well, by the looks of it you need at least a hundred posts to be "regular". Guess i'm not regular...

HURRAY! I'M SPECIAL!!!

mysecondstar
mysecondstar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-13 17:12:48 Reply

At 3/13/03 04:47 PM, Veggiemeal wrote: Well, by the looks of it you need at least a hundred posts to be "regular". Guess i'm not regular...

HURRAY! I'M SPECIAL!!!

actually, if you make a positive impact on the forums you should be more than welcome.

Ted-Easton
Ted-Easton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-13 17:19:59 Reply

Heh.
I guess a lot of people consider themselves regulars. They may very well be, who knows.

So, first order of buisness....

JMHX
JMHX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-13 22:16:18 Reply

Wow, the thread is reopened? What form of miracle achieved this? Well, I suppose as long as you don't bother the distinguished people in here, you might be able to post.

Mwahaha.

BBS Signature
NEMESiSZ
NEMESiSZ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-13 22:20:01 Reply

How are you gentlemen !!

Ted-Easton
Ted-Easton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-13 22:37:24 Reply

As well as can be expected.

Stupid luvox.

JMHX
JMHX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-13 22:57:58 Reply

Ugh, I don't know how long I'll be on tonight...not long. The whole Model United Nations convention is taking a huge toll on the body and mind. Been spending most of my time writing draft resolutions and things of the like.

There's one out there now that's receiving major support: a resolution demanding that France change its national slogan to "Home of the Cowards". Damned if I know what the slogan was before.

I must be going, gentleman. I have a resolution to draft that's going to liberate 10,000 Brazilian slave-farmers. Don't ask about the other 15,000. We've conveniently forgotten about them.

BBS Signature
PreacherJ
PreacherJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-13 23:30:06 Reply

*Settles into comfy lounge chair, orders a rum & coke, pulls out laptop*

AHHHHH! A comfortable place for me to put my feet up and enjoy the support of intelligent debate from my comrades.

Word.

karasz
karasz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-13 23:45:10 Reply

So... does anyone have anything to debate?

TheEvilOne
TheEvilOne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-14 08:00:17 Reply

At 3/13/03 10:57 PM, JudgeMeHarshX wrote: There's one out there now that's receiving major support: a resolution demanding that France change its national slogan to "Home of the Cowards". Damned if I know what the slogan was before.

"Home of the Cowards"... Hahahahaha. That resolution has MY support, I'll tell you that right now.

Der-Ubermensch
Der-Ubermensch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-14 08:41:46 Reply

I quickly realised that immigration from the general board to the politics one is quite a fruitful endeavor. I've noticed here a lack of those unable to go a few sentences without the use of crass four letter words.
I intend to post here regularly as of now; am glad to see that my views and opinions will be dissected and commented upon by more enlightened individuals.

TheShrike
TheShrike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-14 10:06:35 Reply

At 3/14/03 08:41 AM, Ruination wrote: I intend to post here regularly as of now; am glad to see that my views and opinions will be dissected and commented upon by more enlightened individuals.

Dissected and commented upon, yes.
Enlightened? Nah. These guys just know more words in the 5-12 character range.

So... I hope this thread turns into something nice. I'd hate to see this one just go down the tube with a bunch of 2 line posts. Although at times shorter is better, size is not always impotent. err important.

Let's take the chance to get to know one another, shall we? Let's see where everyone stands, and get some tastey dialogue started!
For a spin, Big Anti-War protest tomorrow, and from what I can see, there are several protests and counter-protests all over the nation... Anyone attending?

- The Regulars Lounge Thread -

"A witty quote proves nothing."
~Voltaire

BBS Signature
Ted-Easton
Ted-Easton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-14 10:24:54 Reply

I think if I were to attend I'd just want to insult people and tear apart their opinions. Not that I'm completely PRO war, but I just can't help wanting to make them feel stupid!

TheEvilOne
TheEvilOne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-14 10:29:44 Reply

At 3/14/03 10:06 AM, TheShrike wrote: For a spin, Big Anti-War protest tomorrow, and from what I can see, there are several protests and counter-protests all over the nation... Anyone attending?

There's going to be a pro-war rally in front of the Oklahoma State Capitol (complete with brand spanking new dome built with funds that should have gone toward education!) that I was thinking about going to, but I can't remember the exact date (I think it was the 17th)... I may look it up. But sometimes I think that protestors are the kind of people that have no life... but I don't have a life either, so fuck it, I'll go.

Do you have a list of these protests, and when and where they're taking place?

TheShrike
TheShrike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-14 10:31:41 Reply

You do, however, realize that you'd be dealing with a horde of people who're just as blind in their ignorance as the warhawks on capitol hill?

~Voltaire

BBS Signature
TheShrike
TheShrike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-14 10:34:52 Reply

I'm honestly thinking of attending the one in DC simply because I disagree with the idea of a 'pre-emtive war'.
But then again, protesters in DC have a way with pissing off the cops on duty...

~Voltaire

BBS Signature
D2Kvirus
D2Kvirus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-14 10:42:38 Reply

At 3/14/03 10:34 AM, TheShrike wrote: I'm honestly thinking of attending the one in DC simply because I disagree with the idea of a 'pre-emtive war'.
But then again, protesters in DC have a way with pissing off the cops on duty...

Do a headcount, please.

The reason? There was a protest last month in London, which the BBC news (funded by a Government grant, and has to toe the line or risk being wiped off, as has happened before) reported that 500,000 people were in attendence. Impressive, but not nearly as impressive as the fact that close to 2 million people were actually there.

Hey, let's belittle the people that don't agree with us, and make them seem like whining little wimps! Reading so many message boards, that mentality is all too widespread. Quick show of hands; who else has been called "Saddam lover", or variants of it? Or is it just us poor Brits, because we're all stupid, clearly...

Venting is the way forward.

Propaganda is to a Democracy what violence is to a Dictatorship
Never underestimate the significance of "significant."
NG Politics Discussion 101

BBS Signature
TheEvilOne
TheEvilOne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-14 10:48:03 Reply

At 3/14/03 10:31 AM, TheShrike wrote: You do, however, realize that you'd be dealing with a horde of people who're just as blind in their ignorance as the warhawks on capitol hill?

Yeah, no doubt some of those people are very ignorant. It really doesn't matter which side they take. Protestors tend to be morons.

But still, it might be something fun to do: head out there and hold up signs making fun of ignorant anti-war people (not that everyone who opposes war is ignorant, of course), as well as making fun of France, because no other country wears the "kick me" sign quite as comfortably as France.

Mr-Y
Mr-Y
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-14 11:30:31 Reply

Sorry I came in a little late... And I guess people will probably get pissed when I post here, since my name wasn't on the list :(

I just wanted to say that this is a pretty good topic - the lounge is a good idea for people in this thread to hang out.

Ok I won't be surprised to be kicked out or yelled at after saying this.

TheEvilOne
TheEvilOne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-14 11:32:46 Reply

I think you'll actually be quite welcome here.

Der-Ubermensch
Der-Ubermensch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-14 11:41:31 Reply

At 3/14/03 10:48 AM, TheEvilOne wrote:

... as well as making fun of France, because no other country wears the "kick me" sign quite as comfortably as France.

I find it so very strange that people constantly put down France and the French(I'm not getting personal). French citizens enjoy a remarkably better quality of life than the average American. I had the priviledge of living there for a while and rather miss it. University studies are totally free and people aren't left to die for lack of funds. The French though... you're mostly on the mark about them; they are pretentious.

Mr-Y
Mr-Y
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-14 11:43:39 Reply

As a Canadian from Toronto, Ontario, many people here also want to call off the war. My friend said that his friend went to an anti-war protest, in this city, I think, just for fun, not that he had strong opinions on this war, but protests, of course, mean many people here do have many strong opinions. My classmates also have some strong opinions. Some friends (not only Muslims) - I don't think that he supports the terrorists, think that the war is just an excuse for an assault against Muslims, and I'm sure many think the same, but right now, I'm going to remain neutral and read the others' opinions until I see some good opinion that I'd like to debate on.

I think that it would be interesting to have people all over the world in this topic, or at least all over North America, describing the effects of the situation on their area, and their opinions. Make sure to mention your actual location and country, so people do not have to look in your profile and maybe find a blank next to your location if you forget to fill it out.

TheShrike
TheShrike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Gamer
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-14 11:54:38 Reply

nah, Mr_Y, you're welcome. You speak your thoughts well, and you don't waste other's time.

And I would like to say that Yes, France does wear a huge 'kick me' sign. Less than a century after their best military and political accomplishments, they rolled over for the Germans. (or was it more than a century? I forget... too quickly, anyway)

And sometimes I think the french just pick sides to oppose the Brits. At least they have solidarity.

in any case, it's so much fun to pick on the french. I oppose the whole 'Axis of Weasles' bit, but I gotta admit.. it was funny.

It's more fun to pick on the french than it is to pick on Canadians. Even if busting on the canadians is easier.

~Voltaire

BBS Signature
Mr-Y
Mr-Y
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-14 11:55:32 Reply

At 3/14/03 11:32 AM, TheEvilOne wrote: I think you'll actually be quite welcome here.

Thanks. Great! I have a good feeling this is going to be a very successful topic. So I guess anyone should be welcome, as long as most of their posts in here contribute to this topic. As long as there's no useless spam, which doesn't happen often in the politics section anyway, we're OK. If anyone wants to spam, they can go to the general section of NG BBS.

About the anti-war idiots who bullshit, that's stupid. They would just show the leaders how stupid it would be to stop the war. The job of trying to stop the wars should only be left for the ones who can actually give good reasons to debate on.

Mr-Y
Mr-Y
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to - The Regulars Lounge Thread - 2003-03-14 12:14:25 Reply

At 3/14/03 11:54 AM, TheShrike wrote: nah, Mr_Y, you're welcome. You speak your thoughts well, and you don't waste other's time.

And I would like to say that Yes, France does wear a huge 'kick me' sign. Less than a century after their best military and political accomplishments, they rolled over for the Germans. (or was it more than a century? I forget... too quickly, anyway)

And sometimes I think the french just pick sides to oppose the Brits. At least they have solidarity.

in any case, it's so much fun to pick on the french. I oppose the whole 'Axis of Weasles' bit, but I gotta admit.. it was funny.

It's more fun to pick on the french than it is to pick on Canadians. Even if busting on the canadians is easier.

Yeah, thanks again for welcoming. Canada in terms of international decisions almost always follows the U.S., but here, even our government is unsure about war. About France, I'm not going to talk about the "kick me" sign, but their geographic location really affects them in terms of war and conflict. They have an open seaway in the Mediterranean Sea, which links them with 3 continents (Africa, Asia, and Europe). They are also linked with many countries with their opening in the north. This makes them a big target.