Be a Supporter!

Science Fiction Crew

  • 5,741 Views
  • 257 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
hongkongexpress
hongkongexpress
  • Member since: Feb. 13, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Science Fiction Crew May. 30th, 2007 @ 05:54 AM Reply

I'm HongKongexpress: I like anything to do with science Fiction. I enjoy star wars AND star trek. And perhaps a new Star Trek series is on the way. Favorite was Ds9. gotta love Garak! like how these characters like Rom, or Quark, or Garak, who arn't part of Star Fleet, or the Bajorian government, are conscripted in due to their talents or used. "A Stich in Time" was written by the dude who played Garak, to find closure with his character. Garak was certainly an intresting character!

Dammit, why can't galactic space travel be real. I want to visit worlds! NOW not when I'm 80. If life was like Star Trek or Star Wars, I'd be visiting the many diffrent spritual-religious, places in the galaxy.

Have you guys read some obscure Science Fiction books? I read a few of them, they're made by a Canadian author, and they're very good in a Nicoledon-Pixar-YTV kind of way. (very similar to Doom Runners). anyhow, The Game by Karen Harber, another book by Karen Harber, a Woman without a Shadow. K-pax (the first book).

Anyways, nice to meet you guys.

Star TrekCould a New Star Trek TV Series Be on the Horizon?
Posted by Sam on Friday, 6 Apr 2007

If Sal Lagonia, president and producer of Project: Cardinal, a whole new concept in Trek lore, has his way that possiblity seems promising with “Star Trek: Cardinal.” While Lagonia admits to having no prior experience as a producer, he does claim to be a semi-professional screenwriter, having “done a great deal of production work for various series and movies, as well as owning a film degree,” according to the project’s creator.

I am hoping to make further contact with him to verify what other projects he has worked on in the past.

His attempt at revitalizing the 40 year franchise back on to the small screen will concentrate on the crew of the USS Cardinal, a small vessel which is charged with the unglorified job of maintaining the Ferengi border, a small rectangle that also happens to connect the Romulans to the Cardassians in a smugglers corridor. The crew would be charged with chasing criminals and would-be invaders.

If this were the be all and end all to the series, some Trek fans might burn the studio down in protest. However, it is not the be all and end all. The creator of this unique concept is not just giving the crew a mission and leaving it to the writers to decide what random aliens they will encounter every week. Instead, the crew of the Cardinal is inadvertently placed in the center of events that will change the entire galaxy.

From the very beginning, the crew is faced with mysteries that don’t have solutions, mysteries that are causing powers to challenge other powers. The Federation Starship USS Cardinal is placed in the unenviable position of stopping a war, something that becomes increasingly harder until they are no longer able to accomplish that particular mission and war becomes inevitiable.

The show’s creator promises a series with a beginning, middle and end stating that a definite plan for seven seasons of storylines, with the plots changing direction from time to time leading in alternate routes. “Instead of blindly moving forward, we have a definite plan that is brought to a logical conclusion at the end of Season Seven,” stated Lagonia.

Basic Seven Season Outline

Season One would involve introduction of themes and include increasing tension on a weekly basis.

Season Two would begin a small, localized war with an old familiar race. But even as the war is waged, the mysteries only increase until a new enemy is introduced.

Season Three continues with the war growing in scope and begins a massive story arch that will truly be the hallmark of the series.

Season Four is something never seen before in Star Trek - It’s the USS Cardinal and its crew who breaks a cease fire, and becomes stuck behind enemy lines, with a government unwilling to help them.

Season Five begins a more character driven look into the war, and how it is effecting the lives of the show’s heroes.

Seasons Six and Seven begin to close the concepts that were opened and carried through the first five season in a proper fashion, without just throwing something together at the last minute (which seemed to occur far too much with the last series “Enterprise”).

“While the external factors remain planned, internal factors must not be forgotten,” explained Lagonia. “It is easy to attempt a grab at ratings by creating a spontaneous romance, or a random attitude shift in the crew, but it alienates fans in the long-run. Instead, character interaction must be well planned, especially in a series so focused on character.”

For the crew of the USS Cardinal, this will involve a more realistic view of family than we are used to. Longoria’s contention is that one of the largest complaints about “Star Trek: The Next Generation” was the lack of conflict among the crew. The crew of a starship is a family, but families will hardly come together instantly after being placed in a difficult situation.

On the USS Cardinal the crew is filled with characters that are constantly in conflict. Family is not chosen, after all, it is thrust upon you, and you need to make good with what you have. With each character in direct conflict with at least one other character, and a ship that forces interaction among the crew, we are left with a crew that must work past its problems with each other to solve the external problems facing the ship. As old conflicts are closed and forgotten, new ones arise to take their place. There will never be a lack of character conflict with a crew of this nature.

The crew in question is also not the best and the brightest we are used to seeing. Instead, they are those who could be the best and the brightest, if only they were given the chance. There are those plagued by their past, or fearful of their future, or perhaps even fearful of themselves. They are from different cultures, ages and sexes, and many of their differences cause a great deal of friction among other members of the crew.

The ship serves as an analogy of the crew. It is also a ship that simply was never given a chance; a cramped, glitchy ship that was not deemed worthy enough to serve as a front-line vessel. It is a mix of different technologies that were never designed to work together, and without much effort, considered irreparable.

The more the crew learns to work together, the better the ship begins to perform. Troubles set aside between crew mates coincide with mechanical problems being fixed on the ship.

Creative Plan

Longoria has plans to pitch the idea for a CBS weekly series that will begin with a two-hour pilot episode which will introduce a number of mysteries and deal with tension growing between powers. Surrounded by warships, the crew must stop one power from invading another. The stakes are high, any mistake could lead to war. The USS Cardinal is out-gunned and has almost no hope of succeeding, and can only rely on the wit of its crew to succeed.

The action-oriented pilot will bring characters and concepts together in a way that will grab the attention of the fans and hold them for the coming episodes. With well-defined, “fan-inspired story archs” following, the enormous base of Trek fans will gladly spend an hour every week watching CBS.


At 4/22/09 12:38 AM, MultiCanimefan wrote: Raped by hongkong. NEXT.

Yeah, that was one champion of a post, wasn't it? -Zerok

Fremen
Fremen
  • Member since: Feb. 20, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Science Fiction Crew Dec. 5th, 2007 @ 05:58 PM Reply

Cool.

Not much of a STar Trek fan myself.


NGMAC
NG Naruto RP Crew
PM me Sig Requests

BBS Signature
JaconWes
JaconWes
  • Member since: Dec. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Science Fiction Crew Dec. 5th, 2007 @ 10:04 PM Reply

At 12/5/07 05:58 PM, Fremen wrote: Cool.

Not much of a STar Trek fan myself.

I prefer Star Wars and Warhammer 40,000 myself.

Fremen
Fremen
  • Member since: Feb. 20, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Science Fiction Crew Aug. 14th, 2008 @ 05:22 AM Reply

At 12/5/07 10:04 PM, JaconWes wrote:
At 12/5/07 05:58 PM, Fremen wrote: Cool.

Not much of a STar Trek fan myself.
I prefer Star Wars and Warhammer 40,000 myself.

I love Star Wars, but I've never looked into the whole 40,000 thing.

The two new Dune books are out.

Those look amazing. If they are anything like the 6 prequels to Dune, I will HAVE To read them. ;)


NGMAC
NG Naruto RP Crew
PM me Sig Requests

BBS Signature
jew193
jew193
  • Member since: Feb. 21, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Gamer
Response to Science Fiction Crew Aug. 14th, 2008 @ 05:26 AM Reply

Hey, can I join this club? My favorite science fiction author (can he be considered one?) Stephen King. I've read a bunch of his books, and all the ones I've read kick ass.

I saw the new X- Files movie. Do not see it under any circumstance. It was not good.

In my opinion.
Fremen
Fremen
  • Member since: Feb. 20, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Science Fiction Crew Aug. 14th, 2008 @ 05:31 AM Reply

At 8/14/08 05:26 AM, jew193 wrote: Hey, can I join this club? My favorite science fiction author (can he be considered one?) Stephen King. I've read a bunch of his books, and all the ones I've read kick ass.

I haven't read much of his work, but I have read Gunslinger, which is a graphic novel he made. It was amazing. I respect him so much for writing books and graphic novels. The transition is actually more difficult than one would think.

I saw the new X- Files movie. Do not see it under any circumstance. It was not good.

In my opinion.

LOL

I never saw any X-Files anything before, so I guess watching the movie now would be a bit out of character. It looked stupid in the commercials anyways. Any movie with Stigmata is bound to be bad. (Unless they make a prelude to Dune movie)


NGMAC
NG Naruto RP Crew
PM me Sig Requests

BBS Signature
jew193
jew193
  • Member since: Feb. 21, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Gamer
Response to Science Fiction Crew Aug. 14th, 2008 @ 06:44 PM Reply

At 8/14/08 05:31 AM, Fremen wrote: I haven't read much of his work, but I have read Gunslinger, which is a graphic novel he made. It was amazing. I respect him so much for writing books and graphic novels. The transition is actually more difficult than one would think.

So are you going to read the other books in the series? Gunslinger is the first book in the Dark Tower series, a series of 7 books. Also, from what I've heard reading Insomnia gives you some background on the Dark Tower series. I've read Insomnia but not Gunslinger yet.

I never saw any X-Files anything before, so I guess watching the movie now would be a bit out of character. It looked stupid in the commercials anyways. Any movie with Stigmata is bound to be bad. (Unless they make a prelude to Dune movie)

Yeah, I regret seeing it.

Fremen
Fremen
  • Member since: Feb. 20, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Science Fiction Crew Aug. 15th, 2008 @ 01:07 AM Reply

At 8/14/08 06:44 PM, jew193 wrote:
At 8/14/08 05:31 AM, Fremen wrote: I haven't read much of his work, but I have read Gunslinger, which is a graphic novel he made. It was amazing. I respect him so much for writing books and graphic novels. The transition is actually more difficult than one would think.
So are you going to read the other books in the series? Gunslinger is the first book in the Dark Tower series, a series of 7 books. Also, from what I've heard reading Insomnia gives you some background on the Dark Tower series. I've read Insomnia but not Gunslinger yet.

Ummm...

I read the first one, and I pretty much get it, so I don't think I'm going to read Insomnia. I've never seen any issue past hte first one. If I see it, I'll read it instantaneously.


NGMAC
NG Naruto RP Crew
PM me Sig Requests

BBS Signature
Undertone
Undertone
  • Member since: Aug. 22, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Filmmaker
Response to Science Fiction Crew Aug. 16th, 2008 @ 05:30 AM Reply

Hey folks, I'm Undertone, and I'm a bit of a Trekker and an Asimov fan. Seen most sci-fi flms about, especially liked Galaxy Quest, and I play a ton of PC games of the same genre.
Anyway, has anyone else seen this yet? First in-game footage from Star Trek: Online -
LINK-

Cryptic, the chaps who made City-of-Heroes are making it too, so it should turn out pretty well!

Fremen
Fremen
  • Member since: Feb. 20, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Science Fiction Crew Aug. 16th, 2008 @ 02:53 PM Reply

At 8/16/08 05:30 AM, Undertone wrote: Hey folks, I'm Undertone, and I'm a bit of a Trekker and an Asimov fan. Seen most sci-fi flms about, especially liked Galaxy Quest, and I play a ton of PC games of the same genre.
Anyway, has anyone else seen this yet? First in-game footage from Star Trek: Online -
LINK-

Cryptic, the chaps who made City-of-Heroes are making it too, so it should turn out pretty well!

Seriously? A Star Trek Game??

That sounds really boring, but I pretty much hate star trek. The game seems cool, but it's a bit past its time since a lot of star trek fans are older than the normal game players.


NGMAC
NG Naruto RP Crew
PM me Sig Requests

BBS Signature
jew193
jew193
  • Member since: Feb. 21, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Gamer
Response to Science Fiction Crew Aug. 18th, 2008 @ 04:38 PM Reply

At 8/15/08 01:07 AM, Fremen wrote: Ummm...

I read the first one, and I pretty much get it, so I don't think I'm going to read Insomnia. I've never seen any issue past hte first one. If I see it, I'll read it instantaneously.

Meh, it's a good book, so you should read it anyway. But I have the first three books in the Dark tower series, and I'm pretty sure you can buy a box set of the first four on places like barnes and noble.com or something. I'd show you a link, but me=lazy.

Fremen
Fremen
  • Member since: Feb. 20, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Science Fiction Crew Aug. 18th, 2008 @ 08:57 PM Reply

At 8/18/08 04:38 PM, jew193 wrote:
At 8/15/08 01:07 AM, Fremen wrote: Ummm...

I read the first one, and I pretty much get it, so I don't think I'm going to read Insomnia. I've never seen any issue past hte first one. If I see it, I'll read it instantaneously.
Meh, it's a good book, so you should read it anyway. But I have the first three books in the Dark tower series, and I'm pretty sure you can buy a box set of the first four on places like barnes and noble.com or something. I'd show you a link, but me=lazy.

The comic books?!

I'm pretty sure I only saw the first one out in the bookstores. Unless all three of the sequels were hugely popular, I don't htink they would run out.


NGMAC
NG Naruto RP Crew
PM me Sig Requests

BBS Signature
jew193
jew193
  • Member since: Feb. 21, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Gamer
Response to Science Fiction Crew Aug. 19th, 2008 @ 12:50 AM Reply

At 8/18/08 08:57 PM, Fremen wrote: The comic books?!

Ok, we're on a different page here. Gunslinger is the first book in a series of seven called the Dark Tower series. It's not a comic book. See? You must have read something else, like a comic book adaptation of the real book.

I'm pretty sure I only saw the first one out in the bookstores. Unless all three of the sequels were hugely popular, I don't htink they would run out.
Fremen
Fremen
  • Member since: Feb. 20, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Science Fiction Crew Aug. 19th, 2008 @ 02:04 AM Reply

At 8/19/08 12:50 AM, jew193 wrote:
At 8/18/08 08:57 PM, Fremen wrote: The comic books?!
Ok, we're on a different page here. Gunslinger is the first book in a series of seven called the Dark Tower series. It's not a comic book. See? You must have read something else, like a comic book adaptation of the real book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_To wer_(series)#Prequel_comic_series

Thanks for the link (next time look harder).

Yeah, I guess we both kinda won htis argument. I didn't know that it was a book already (apparently King wrote the intro before the books or just ignored them). Since the graphic novel is the exact same thing, it's not like it's based on the books, it is just told through a different media.

If you like the books though, you would love the comic book. It's so dark and real. The quality of it is amazing, but expected from a giant like Marvel. I love all new comic books and the style they use.


NGMAC
NG Naruto RP Crew
PM me Sig Requests

BBS Signature
jew193
jew193
  • Member since: Feb. 21, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Gamer
Response to Science Fiction Crew Aug. 19th, 2008 @ 03:15 PM Reply

At 8/19/08 02:04 AM, Fremen wrote:
At 8/19/08 12:50 AM, jew193 wrote:
At 8/18/08 08:57 PM, Fremen wrote: The comic books?!
Ok, we're on a different page here. Gunslinger is the first book in a series of seven called the Dark Tower series. It's not a comic book. See? You must have read something else, like a comic book adaptation of the real book.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_To wer_(series)#Prequel_comic_series

Thanks for the link (next time look harder).

Yeah, I guess we both kinda won this argument. I didn't know that it was a book already (apparently King wrote the intro before the books or just ignored them). Since the graphic novel is the exact same thing, it's not like it's based on the books, it is just told through a different media.

So how long was the comic book? I mean, if it had the same exact story as the book, then I'd think it would have to be fairly long...

If you like the books though, you would love the comic book. It's so dark and real. The quality of it is amazing, but expected from a giant like Marvel. I love all new comic books and the style they use.

Eh, I think I'd prefer the books. Especially because you can see the world however you like it, and when you're reading the book you can imagine the people as looking like whatever they want to look like. When you're reading something like a comic book, you're constrained by what is shown to you.

Fremen
Fremen
  • Member since: Feb. 20, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Science Fiction Crew Aug. 20th, 2008 @ 03:23 PM Reply

At 8/19/08 03:15 PM, jew193 wrote: So how long was the comic book? I mean, if it had the same exact story as the book, then I'd think it would have to be fairly long...

Too short...way too short.

Eh, I think I'd prefer the books. Especially because you can see the world however you like it, and when you're reading the book you can imagine the people as looking like whatever they want to look like. When you're reading something like a comic book, you're constrained by what is shown to you.

True, but I love looking at Art. I'm just like that. The illustrations in The Dark Tower are so amazing.

BTW

I gotta go to Ohio for a couple days. Be back on Monday.


NGMAC
NG Naruto RP Crew
PM me Sig Requests

BBS Signature
jew193
jew193
  • Member since: Feb. 21, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Gamer
Response to Science Fiction Crew Aug. 20th, 2008 @ 10:02 PM Reply

At 8/20/08 03:23 PM, Fremen wrote: Too short...way too short.

Yeah, that's why I'd prefer to read the book. Most of his books are pretty long, but the ones that I've read were all really good, so...

True, but I love looking at Art. I'm just like that. The illustrations in The Dark Tower are so amazing.

Yeah, I do too, but then it totally destroys the image that you have created of the character, and if you don't think they should look like that, then you're stuck with it. Like if you've ever read It, (really, really great book by the way) then you'd probably know that one of the main characters is black. Now, they just described who he was for a long time, so I just assumed he was white. But the point is that I had the liberty of changing my the way I thought he looked.

BTW

I gotta go to Ohio for a couple days. Be back on Monday.

Have fun.

Fremen
Fremen
  • Member since: Feb. 20, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Science Fiction Crew Mar. 5th, 2009 @ 10:47 PM Reply

At 8/20/08 10:02 PM, jew193 wrote: Yeah, I do too, but then it totally destroys the image that you have created of the character, and if you don't think they should look like that, then you're stuck with it. Like if you've ever read It, (really, really great book by the way) then you'd probably know that one of the main characters is black. Now, they just described who he was for a long time, so I just assumed he was white. But the point is that I had the liberty of changing my the way I thought he looked.

That's true. That's why I'm scared of reading the Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow Graphic Novels. They look completely different than what I pictured.

I like what I pictured way better. One of the cover's for Ender's Game is really good and they should've used that...


NGMAC
NG Naruto RP Crew
PM me Sig Requests

BBS Signature