Vermspiracy
Vermspiracy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 7th, 2003 @ 08:43 AM Reply

whew..

I was glad to hear about the "preview" button.
I did'nt want to download every song to hear what it sounds like. Thanks guys.

musician3
musician3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 7th, 2003 @ 09:42 AM Reply

Tom, I think mp3s only is the way to go. Anyone who is remotely competent in the field of audio production should know how to convert wavs to mp3s. They are much smaller files, and they sound just as good. As for the issue of users sending incredible amounts of garbage sound files... Well, same thing happens in the portal with garbage movies, and you just created another portal with the audio page. So, you'll probably have to deal with it and upgrade your servers or whatever, or get rid of it. There are plenty of other places on the net where people can post their sound files

OpieTrice
OpieTrice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 7th, 2003 @ 09:44 AM Reply

I think that you should let people upload sound effect files but every month organize it,deleting the same ones it might be out of the way cause i know that you would like NG to run itself, you'll come up with something, you always do

Hydecka
Hydecka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Gamer
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 7th, 2003 @ 11:30 AM Reply

I needed those sound effects to live. I'm gonna go hang my self from a bridge now. Thanks Tom.

*Hydecka exits the portal and snaps back to reality.*

P.S. I click on all the banners cause I was afraid something like this would happen, see if I ever do that again.

I can do t3h voices. Lots of em.LOTS OF THEM!! ^^;;
OMFG GOOGLE HYDECKA!!

BBS Signature
Mr-Chuckles
Mr-Chuckles
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 7th, 2003 @ 03:03 PM Reply

At 3/7/03 08:43 AM, Vermspiracy wrote: whew..

I was glad to hear about the "preview" button.
I did'nt want to download every song to hear what it sounds like. Thanks guys.

Im thanful for that too.

Ultimate-Doom
Ultimate-Doom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 7th, 2003 @ 03:39 PM Reply

I think you should have pre made sound packages and you should only accept mp3s. It would make the site faster and keep the crap out.

Audio Portal Suggestions

Blingo
Blingo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 7th, 2003 @ 03:50 PM Reply

why don't u divide the audio portal into 2 sections, 1 for .mp3 and 1 for .wav, with a warning?

MotorPains
MotorPains
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 7th, 2003 @ 03:53 PM Reply

Im not sure if it has been said or not because its a lot of reading to find out. But if it has, I am just going with you. I did read that someone thought uploading of copyrighted material should cause them to be possibly banned or points deducted. I think the the little box where you click on things if it applies in the Flash Portal should be included in the Audio Portal. I'm talking about the "This material is stolen" thing. So then they could get the points deducted either per person who clicks that or just if it gets enough clicks a set amount is taken away. I also think it should be deleted if it gets enough.

Sputnix
Sputnix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 7th, 2003 @ 03:57 PM Reply

How abou a blow the whistle thing for the audio portal?

Sputnix
Sputnix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 7th, 2003 @ 03:59 PM Reply

Also, can we post classical music, because classical music isn't copyrighted, but it is stealing.

LeatherQueen
LeatherQueen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 7th, 2003 @ 04:08 PM Reply

What do you think - should we continue to let users submit sounds, or should we just offer some pre-made packages? Should we allow users to submit sounds that they did not make?

Seeing as how many animation submissions already use characters, animations, and sounds that the artists did not, themselves; create, I don't see why sound effects files should hold any different consideration. Besides which, many hilarious submissions only use sfx from popular culture. Making these available to new artists might accelerate the creation of new creative submissions.
"Y'know, Tim, I've got this geat idea for a spoof of Wacraft gamers involving Peanut butter and Jeanna Fine, but I can't locate the sound bytes I need for full effect."
Zip files of collections of sound fx, quotes, etc. would probably be much more economical.

LeatherQueen
LeatherQueen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 7th, 2003 @ 04:17 PM Reply

Motorpains makes a very good point re: the idea of uploading copyright material. My challenge is that this ideology, if taken to it's logical extent, would eliminate the Video Game parodies category almost completely. However, this is an idea that might bear consideration as nobody(worth listening to) wants to see Newgrounds.com get hammered legally. Perhaps uploads could be taken on a case by case basis?..for safety's sake.

jonathonkinch123
jonathonkinch123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 7th, 2003 @ 05:08 PM Reply

Great Update,anyways.You should have all the sound effects into zip files that would be a great decision.

Audio Portal Suggestions

NeoWhoop
NeoWhoop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 7th, 2003 @ 07:29 PM Reply

Be honest Tom...You're trying to make the audio section work because...YOU HAVE NO EYES (dum dum DUMMMM!!!!)

Ok those who don't get the joke obviously don't know Mr.Fulp's acting career.

Anyway its clear that he is feeling concerned about the uploading of these musics distributed because they were done by other people but I have an idea:

What if you wanted me to split this answer into your 2 solutions so that you get a decent reply.

No.1: Keep the system up and let it flow as it is: Now you realise its going to still have people doing this and that's never going away, no matter how many heeded calls from you or anyone else however suggesting that limitation people do wonder what next: Sound effects? That's...

No.2: Scrap the current idea and make the zip files full of sounds.

Now that's a good idea but its not without any arguements of how the others arn't getting a say. So the options seem limited considering e-mails to suggest music will fail as you're too busy a man to bother over those e-mails supporting the overwhelming amount you must get anyway.

However...

Let's take this: I, as a flash artist, could say ''I won't do this, in fact I could easily snap up a music generator swap it's format to wav. then put it into newgrounds'', but that's only me. Its a tough question to answer but what if you got mods that take up time, just like you, to share ideas that's not already done and can prototype these musics. That way it stops all the annoying people submitting the musics we don't want around however this still doesn't stop mass e-mails to a larger picture. However the good news over the bad news is that it can work both ways.

1. Independent.
2. Logically varied.

That's my idea and I take much tired thinking to it. Well I've got to go soon otherwise I'll smash my head on the keyboard and submit a bunch of spam at the end.

Good luck in making choice but I think the people want this to stay: I'm sure newgrounds audio portal is meant to help flash artists: Getting rid of the concept will halt their help and make it less of a effort for the others. Its the job of the people, not just you, to make good sound in any flash and that cornerstone starts it.

I say keep it but don't be alerted if I am happy if it goes but I say keep it.

Remisser
Remisser
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 7th, 2003 @ 10:50 PM Reply

At 3/7/03 04:17 PM, LeatherQueen wrote: Motorpains makes a very good point re: the idea of uploading copyright material. My challenge is that this ideology, if taken to it's logical extent, would eliminate the Video Game parodies category almost completely. However, this is an idea that might bear consideration as nobody(worth listening to) wants to see Newgrounds.com get hammered legally. Perhaps uploads could be taken on a case by case basis?..for safety's sake.

Here's where the legals come in: Music is heavily protected by hounds and packs of lawyers. You have enough 'songs' by an artist on your site, they come knocking.

Videogames parodies impose something entirely different. Most old videogames parodied, nobody cares about anymore (i.e.: the lawyers for the companies who made the videogames don't care about NES games anymore...) - and even the new videogames that are parodied are, within a legal extent, protected because parodies aren't illegal. Weird al is a prime example of this: he doesn't always get permission to do a song (I will refer you to his cover of 'gangsta paradise', coolio didn't want him to cover it, and weird al does usually ask for permission, but there was some miscommunication, and someone said coolio said it was okay for him to parody - but he did not) but once a parody is released, nothing can be done about it because parodies are within the legal realm of, well, legality. What I'm trying to say here is that, music and flash animations are in two different realms of legality. Uploading a 50 cent song is a whole buttload different from uploading a Castlevania parody.

And yes, someone uploaded a 50 cent song.

Necromancer86
Necromancer86
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 7th, 2003 @ 11:44 PM Reply

***WADE, READ ME PLEASE***

I understand that you had to take out the SFX section because users were abusing the system... however, like many other things in New Grounds that were or still are abused, like the somewhat controversal voting system were or are being solved two ways:

1)new features designed to prevent abuse
2)simply stressing to users not to abuse anymore

Of course, you already know this. I think your post to destroy the SFX was enough of a kick in the ass for people. Return the SFX section, and place headers that stress only submission of original work. Get Tom to yell at everyone some more too, that always seems to work! :)

So anyway, I think if you add more stress to not submitting stolen SFX and implement this new screening system, things will work out fine. Please bring back the SFX page! Thanks.

JSonicC
JSonicC
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 8th, 2003 @ 05:56 AM Reply

ive been poping on again . . . and ive checked out this audio portal . . . which i asked to be created a long time ago . . . i think it would be cool if we could submit whole songs . . . but due to it tacking up 2 much space on ur HD's mayby it would be possible to submit links, then i would probly upload my songs for people to listen too . . .

school-killer
school-killer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 8th, 2003 @ 10:45 AM Reply

TOM PLEASE ANWSER

ok i know this isnt the subject im talking about but all my save/protection points were reset to zero.i almost had 200!could you do something about that?
this was the only way i could find t talk to you.the forum.

implodinggoat
implodinggoat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 8th, 2003 @ 07:22 PM Reply

Suggestion: Allow users on the Audio Portal who submit quality material to exceded the 500K file size limit.

implodinggoat
implodinggoat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 8th, 2003 @ 07:28 PM Reply

At 3/8/03 10:45 AM, school_killer wrote: TOM PLEASE ANWSER

ok i know this isnt the subject im talking about but all my save/protection points were reset to zero.i almost had 200!could you do something about that?

This isn't the right place for such complaints.

Try contacting Wade on AIM (he put it in his profile) he could take care of it. Of course your points might have been reset because you were giving everything 5s in that case you might end up having your profile deleted because you are an annoying bitch who's points should have been deleted.

Evil1666
Evil1666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 8th, 2003 @ 10:52 PM Reply

Personally I would like to see the zip packages, this would make things easier for me. Instead of looking all over the place, for say animal noises, they would all be in one zip package.

creamyspy69
creamyspy69
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 9th, 2003 @ 03:41 AM Reply

At 3/8/03 07:28 PM, implodinggoat wrote:
At 3/8/03 10:45 AM, school_killer wrote: TOM PLEASE ANWSER

Of course your points might have been reset because you were giving everything 5s in that case you might end up having your profile deleted because you are an annoying bitch who's points should have been deleted.

Actually, by looking at school_killer's profile I see that he has 140 blams and 3 protection points. This motherfucker is EXACTLY the kind of guy that Wade has been warning over and over again for the past month or two. Hey, buddy, if your shit did get reset, it's your own fault you dumbass. Wade has made it perfectly clear that anyone voting zero on everything is going to get their points taken away. And seeing as you have so many blams and so little protections, it seems to me you are one of those jerkoff that gives zeros to everything. YOU are the reason that NG hides the scores and review ratings until that movie is that movie is either blammed or protected. It's because of YOU that this site isn't half as fun as it used to be. So quite fucking honestly, I say you should get your whole goddamn account deleted and not allowed to come back with a new one! I think you got off easy you little shithead.

school-killer
school-killer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 9th, 2003 @ 10:39 AM Reply

lisen you fuck.i dont give everything zeros and fives .i give the movie/game what it deserves.i know that you could get your account deleted if u just vote zeros and fives.i dont do that shit.i had like 178 saves.so if u dont know anything u faghiet shut the fuck up.!

quattrokappa
quattrokappa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 9th, 2003 @ 11:47 AM Reply

Um yeah. You need WAV files to loop loops properly. MP3 causes a skip inbetween each loop interval.

Kthx.

HBKid
HBKid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 9th, 2003 @ 02:14 PM Reply

Leave the FX they are very useful. and PLEASE just leave them, nothing more to say thanks tom

Psycho666
Psycho666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Melancholy
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 9th, 2003 @ 05:47 PM Reply

Hey, I don't know if you know this or not anyone but there are many programs you can download for converting WAV into MP3 and vice versa. Making the Audio Portal all MP3 would be no big deal if someone could post some links to programs that do this. Me myself, I cant post a link because i downloaded mine from a program called Kazaa. <A>www.kazaa.com<A> is the web link for that though.

BBS Signature
Buck-Uncle
Buck-Uncle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 9th, 2003 @ 08:03 PM Reply

I don't use this audio section. its not very good.

Audio Portal Suggestions

TofuTehSurvivor
TofuTehSurvivor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 10th, 2003 @ 01:55 AM Reply

WTF!? Why the hell did Tom have to clear out all of the good sounds. like people and weapons & war? Gunshots were okay but are getting kinda boring...
I'm mean, I had the greatest sound of Osama saying "Let's go X-Lax!!!" on there, I accidentally deleted the sound on comp. and was meaning to download it so I could have it again. I think the Audio Portal was just good left alone, except for so many of those gunshot sound effects... One more thing(turns so his back is facing the reader, takes 2 steps, and turns again so his front is facing reader)
... I don't want anybody replying to this reply saying "ƒuck you, stupid dumba$$!" Nobody ƒucks with me, and lives...

Audio Portal Suggestions

spyrulfyre
spyrulfyre
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 10th, 2003 @ 06:58 PM Reply

Actually the human ear hears from 50-15khz on average, and the mp3 compression technique compresses the digital not analog data. It's how you choose to compress it(48kHz Stereo vs. 11khz Mono) that really affects the quality and the size.

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 10th, 2003 @ 07:13 PM Reply

At 3/10/03 06:58 PM, spyrulfyre wrote: Actually the human ear hears from 50-15khz on average, and the mp3 compression technique compresses the digital not analog data. It's how you choose to compress it(48kHz Stereo vs. 11khz Mono) that really affects the quality and the size.

Well, you can argue out the level of hearing with the people here.

That's just a random site I plucked as a result of Googling - the first few entries on the first page gave the same results.

I'm well aware of the differences between analogue and digital sampling.