Be a Supporter!

Audio Portal Suggestions

• 133 Replies
Respond to this Topic
<deleted>
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 6th, 2003 @ 09:06 PM Reply

hmmm mike tyson rocks, do i hear mike tysons punchout theme????

TomFlump
TomFlump
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 6th, 2003 @ 09:23 PM Reply

At 3/6/03 05:23 PM, FrankTheTank wrote: Newgrounds is a place for flash games and cartoons. i dont think the flash portal really has a place on this site. it would just eat up bandwidth. there are a million other sites users can and have gotten sounds from. i say just get rid of the audio portal all together. even if there were a few good sound effects, doesnt mean everyone would need em. if anything, just cut it down to a few zip files. i dont really see the audio portal as necessary or helpful. SAVE OUR BANDWIDTH!

OMG OMG EDIT BUTTON WHERE ARE YOU! i meant to say AUDIO portal has no place on the site. flash portal is god.

XSDSX
XSDSX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Programmer
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 6th, 2003 @ 09:27 PM Reply

I say scrap the audio portal and just give a pre-made package. It'll help with the bandwith and it'll just be a little less work for you altogether. You need a break, you're trying to hard. So ya, scrap it. Thx.

creamyspy69
creamyspy69
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 6th, 2003 @ 09:33 PM Reply

The audio portal is just a waste of space. It's not really complicated to use, but it's crappily put together and not something I would ever waste my time with. For the movies I've had a part in making, Kazaa is much better.

creamyspy69
creamyspy69
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 6th, 2003 @ 09:49 PM Reply

You know, instead of wasting all this time worrying about this piece of shit that is the audio portal, why don't you think about re-instituting the privelege of being able to read the reviews before 100 votes. I never get to read reviews anymore because, after voting on a bunch of movies I really don't feel like having to keep checking back to see if they've passed the 100 vote threshold just so I can read the reviews. At least, once you've reviewed you should be able to read the other reviews. I'm so damn stumped as to why you punish the members of NG in this way. I understand hiding the score, but not the reviews once someone has already reviewed anyway. Usually once someone reviews they've most likely voted anyway.

RiftMaster
RiftMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 6th, 2003 @ 10:01 PM Reply

I hate to say it but I think the idea about just having pre-made .zip files would be best. If you go ahead and do that could you include those gross crunching splat sounds you use in all your games Tom? I love those sfx :)

I put the "funk" in function()

Remisser
Remisser
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 6th, 2003 @ 10:04 PM Reply

At 3/6/03 09:49 PM, creamyspy69 wrote: You know, instead of wasting all this time worrying about this piece of shit that is the audio portal

Think before you speak.

The audio portal is not 'shit', it's a valid way for flash animators to find good loops for their animations. It's also a good way to hook up with musicians to custom tailor music for certain segments. You know that the musicians who submit music there are people who frequent newgrounds and who are into the whole Flash scene.

PLUS, using KAZAA to find loops... you'll only be able to find commercial loops... Tom is trying to MOVE AWAY from that. Record companies and such don't LIKE their music being used for ANYTHING if they aren't in some way getting directly paid for it.

Sheesh. Before you start talking trash, realize that some people aren't good at flash and would love to contribute in some way possible.

HeinousDude
HeinousDude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 6th, 2003 @ 10:14 PM Reply

How about we have a message telling authors to submit audio everytime they submit a work? Or links to other sites with good audio files? If these are already suggested then I am sorry.

NippleClock-1337
NippleClock-1337
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 6th, 2003 @ 10:37 PM Reply

well, i feel we should still be able to submit our own audio. the closest my submissions ever came to being unoriginal was when i would take sound fx that weren't mine and fuck with them until i got something entirely different. like for a giant dog barking, i took my own dog and a tiger's roar and spliced and pitched until it sounded like a dog that was huge.

as far as mp3's only, i agree. the bandwidth would be so much cleaner, etc etc.

FOR THE USERS THAT AREN'T FACILITATED TO MAKE MP3'S:

i recommend goldwave. it's easy to learn and gives you infinate options for saving your audio files. mp3, wav, raw, too many to name.

plus when saving you can choose your quality, from radio, to cd, to voice, etc etc.

it's not that hard to get either. search for goldwave. duh! (and for legal purposes, I AM NOT CONDONING KAZAA FOR THIS)

MasterJoe
MasterJoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 6th, 2003 @ 10:43 PM Reply

It is good to talk about problems on new horizons but we must first have a working system at home. I have dial-up and I have not been able to download shitall from this site. It goes to 38% and then stops...end of story

Tom, please help me here

Nylo
Nylo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Audiophile
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 6th, 2003 @ 11:18 PM Reply

I agree with scrapping the Audio Portal idea. This site functions so damn good on it's own. I think having organized Zip files with catagorized SFX will do more than just fine. There's numerous web sites offering great SFX for free, it's crazy.

Audio Portal Suggestions

I must lollerskate on this matter.

karr420
karr420
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 7th, 2003 @ 12:14 AM Reply

damn I had some decent sound fx in there. oh well. actually I do think that was the best decision tom since ppl were littering the audio portal with stuff they didnt create. maybe if u added a blow the whistle option like with the swf's. then it would prevent ppl from submitting stuff they didnt create. just a suggestion tom.

Audio Portal Suggestions

Shady-Milkman
Shady-Milkman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 7th, 2003 @ 12:26 AM Reply

BOOOOOOOOOOOO... BRING BACK THE SFX THE WAY THEY WERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

napalm6b
napalm6b
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 7th, 2003 @ 01:37 AM Reply

I think wav. files shouldn't be accepted. Like someone else said you can use the free Goldwave software to compress your audio.

Maybe users should have to be pre-approved before they submit sfx. Like a moderater has to listen to 2 or 3 of your sfx before you can actually post sfx regularly.

implodinggoat
implodinggoat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 7th, 2003 @ 01:47 AM Reply

How often are they going to be switching up the featured artist on the Audio Portal? I want a crack at it.

implodinggoat
implodinggoat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 7th, 2003 @ 01:51 AM Reply

At 3/6/03 10:04 PM, Remisser wrote:
Sheesh. Before you start talking trash, realize that some people aren't good at flash and would love to contribute in some way possible.

I agree totally oh and by the way I like your work, its good shit. I'd like to hear some full length tracks.

Kireblade
Kireblade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 7th, 2003 @ 02:24 AM Reply

Hey there everyone, your friendly neighborhood Kireblade here. I think it would be pretty damn cool if there was a section that you could upload your voice audition for people who need voices in their flash movies, that'd be sweet!!! I know I'm looking to do some voice work.

Just a thought. NOW GO WATCH RETARDS AT THE ZOO!!!

creamyspy69
creamyspy69
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 7th, 2003 @ 02:30 AM Reply

You said:

I'm not talking trash. I'm just stating my opinion. Good luck to you with the audio portal. I just think that if it's such a hassle and so time consuming for the Fulps and liljim, then they should consider ditching it. Maybe then, they could concentrate on other matters. I'm not bitching, really. It just sounds that way.

Chapinator69
Chapinator69
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 7th, 2003 @ 02:38 AM Reply

I guess the zip file idea would be ok. Only if therez a lotta SFX.

Xenok5
Xenok5
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 7th, 2003 @ 02:39 AM Reply

lol, I just posted a fucking script and everyone ignored it, laff... shows what kind of respect Actionscripters get...

Chen-Baiwan
Chen-Baiwan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 7th, 2003 @ 06:38 AM Reply

At 3/7/03 02:30 AM, creamyspy69 wrote: You said:

I'm not talking trash. I'm just stating my opinion. Good luck to you with the audio portal. I just think that if it's such a hassle and so time consuming for the Fulps and liljim, then they should consider ditching it. Maybe then, they could concentrate on other matters. I'm not bitching, really. It just sounds that way.

The SOUND portal is not as good as the MUSIC Portal...The Audio portal merely needs some Evolution...Maybe USE THE IDEA I JUST SAID AND SEPARATE LOOPS (WAV FORMAT ONLY under maximum length of time) AND SONGS (MP3 FORMAT ONLY must be at or over the minumum length of time). If there STILL is a Sound portal in the future...it should have the same requirements as loops have!

Audio Portal Suggestions

MrPrez
MrPrez
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 7th, 2003 @ 06:49 AM Reply

At 3/6/03 05:22 PM, sketch0587 wrote: Dude, you can't assume that EVERYONE on NG has an MP3 player. I'm sure that the majority of users don't have one, so this solution is not very helpful.

by an mp3 player, do you mean one on your pc? If you do, then every one who has windows on his/her pc can play mp3's with media player.

MrPrez
MrPrez
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 7th, 2003 @ 06:51 AM Reply

oh, and how about an option to inform the crew if a wav/mp3 is stolen or not, just like the flash portal

<deleted>
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 7th, 2003 @ 07:03 AM Reply

I think is cool and simple.How about gun,bomb,smash face,disturbing sound and like anymore.I mean if you haved created sound to download you can tell by tom and say i haved sound ,many voices to heard it like machine gun,bomb,smack on face ,etc.try it.!!And the username will appear at portal.Good luck.

Remisser
Remisser
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 7th, 2003 @ 07:11 AM Reply

At 3/7/03 01:47 AM, implodinggoat wrote: How often are they going to be switching up the featured artist on the Audio Portal? I want a crack at it.

So far there have been no perks to being the featured artist. :P Only one person has IMed me in regards to that. Heh. And I really want to make music for people.

Remisser
Remisser
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 7th, 2003 @ 07:16 AM Reply

At 3/7/03 02:30 AM, creamyspy69 wrote: You said:

Trust me, the audio portal is not priority one for them. It's stuff they work on when they want a break from working on the 'other stuff'. Ask liljim, he'll tell you the same thing.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 7th, 2003 @ 08:06 AM Reply

At 3/6/03 04:17 PM, Tool_Of_The_System wrote: You forgot Part 3, Tom... the sounds people were submitting were lame as things coming from their mouth to a mic.. mostly Farts and belch noises.

Good point... That was another reason. :)

-Tom

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 7th, 2003 @ 08:10 AM Reply

At 3/6/03 07:37 PM, Xenoknight5 wrote: //coded by xenoknight5, www.vipervision.org
soundobject = new Sound();
soundobject.loadSound("http://example.com/sample.mp3",isStreaming);
soundobject.setVolume(100);
soundobject.start(1,1);

That is basically what I am doing now for playing MP3 files. It doesn't work for WAV files, however... That's the problem. :)

-Tom

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
HeRetiK
HeRetiK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 7th, 2003 @ 08:16 AM Reply

I haven't used the audio portal yet, but here's my oppinion:
all users should have the possibility to submit audio which they created themselves and didn't rip of games.
the idea of pre-packaged zip is a pretty good idea. I think there should be some of those, with a selection of the best sounds submitted.
I'd say there should be both, mp3 and wav. But it seems that it causes trouble... but how do the guys of flashkit do it? the sounds I got from there, are all in zipped wav archives... maybe people have to submit it as mp3 and wav, I dunno.
Anyway, good luck for the audio portal, I think it's pretty useful for flashcreators and also young musicians which want to show some of their work.

hugh-jarse
hugh-jarse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Suggestions Mar. 7th, 2003 @ 08:17 AM Reply

Tom, I know this is off topic but could you possibly make the - sign in or join ng - (yellow sign) bigger so that it almost fills big gap between it and the other things or make it easier to read.
Thanks.