Respond to this Topic
Hoohah
Hoohah
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Homecoming Aug. 7th, 2006 @ 10:26 PM Reply

At 8/7/06 10:20 PM, AprilFulp wrote: Welcome back, Ross!

Whoa.

ViceFullbuster
ViceFullbuster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Melancholy
Response to Homecoming Aug. 7th, 2006 @ 10:31 PM Reply

Welcome back dude,glad to see another great and old school (the 3rd user as a matter of fact) NG worker in the office. :)

NOW IS WHEN YOU RAM HAPPY WITH LIFE SAUCE. PSN Screenname - Mooglejoke Wii U Network ID - Mooglejoke - Nintendo 3DS Friend Code 4768-8871-1657

BBS Signature
NeoSoviet
NeoSoviet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Homecoming Aug. 7th, 2006 @ 10:40 PM Reply

Im too new to know who you are... but after what you said iy`s obvious that your presence will only be a booster to the progress of the website.

Congratulations on getting married, and on getting your fantasy job :D Hopefully you won`t have to go again.

<3

BBS Signature
Chumbawamba
Chumbawamba
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Audiophile
Response to Homecoming Aug. 7th, 2006 @ 10:49 PM Reply

Oi, good to see you make a news thread, Ross! Nice re-introduction to get people to know you.

Congrats on getting married. Two months isn't a long time at all, so I'm not too late on that.

Another programmer in the Newgrounds staff means good things for the site.

BBS Signature
Serratine
Serratine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Homecoming Aug. 7th, 2006 @ 10:56 PM Reply

Wow
Thats good

wesdood
wesdood
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Homecoming Aug. 7th, 2006 @ 11:12 PM Reply

This layout will be much prettier soon. it all makes sense now.

MattTheParanoidKat
MattTheParanoidKat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Homecoming Aug. 7th, 2006 @ 11:16 PM Reply

Holy fuck, the original NG forum admin is back. Hi, glad to finally get a chance to say hello to you, and very glad to finally see an original founder of the site working on it again.guess you have a chance to meet all off us on NG, it has grown alot man.

Mockery
Mockery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Game Developer
Response to Homecoming Aug. 7th, 2006 @ 11:51 PM Reply

I heard you were back with the NG crew, and considering your history with the site, I definitely think you're right where you belong. Welcome back holmes!

Jake
Jake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Blank Slate
Response to Homecoming Aug. 8th, 2006 @ 12:09 AM Reply

Welcome back, Ross.

F0H-Shikamaru
F0H-Shikamaru
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Homecoming Aug. 8th, 2006 @ 12:10 AM Reply

Welcome back!

Flatland
Flatland
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Homecoming Aug. 8th, 2006 @ 12:11 AM Reply

I wasn't here 6-7 years ago. Maybe 3-4 years ago. :-( Too bad. Anyways, welcome back! =D

BBS Signature
Fluffington
Fluffington
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Homecoming Aug. 8th, 2006 @ 12:13 AM Reply

Welcome back Ross.

You know what would be really neat? These things actually being noticeable.

BBS Signature
Ozcar
Ozcar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Homecoming Aug. 8th, 2006 @ 12:32 AM Reply

Welcome back, Ross :)

I never saw you posting ( I joined Newgrounds after you left ) but I always liked all the work you made here...

Don't leave again!

Evark
Evark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Musician
Response to Homecoming Aug. 8th, 2006 @ 01:00 AM Reply

At 8/7/06 07:53 PM, liljim wrote: I'm guessing that this is in reference to what's written in the Literature page, in particularly, this part:

Almost entirely, yes. :-)

Whilst this is true in certain respects, you have got to keep several things in mind:
1. I started looking at the code on the site over a year after Ross had left. The development of the Internet and software used on it can progress in leaps and bounds in that short amount of time.

Oh, I believe it. I had always assumed it was much less of a time-leap. But I also figured it had to do with the fact that Ross had to worry much less about how many users were accessing all these things. Database strain, and the like.

Some of the changes that I made to the site code back in 2002 and onward were complete re-writes (which took time), but some of the most important parts of those re-writes were adding keys to database fields that had not been previously assigned. These changes were relatively quick, but very cost effective when it came to saving work that the database had to do.

I figured all that. But I'm not a programmer, and not really 'in the know' about the inner workings around here. I'm just someone who's relatively intelligent, and able to moderate effectively.

2. Newgrounds' popularity increased exponentially (against all odds, with respect to keeping the site online due to advertising revenue slumps) shortly after Ross' initial departure from the site. Code that would have otherwise have worked perfectly on the site at the time he was working there suddenly became an issue. This is something you can only learn after reading error logs and what not, which he'd never previously have seen when he'd been on the site.

Right, I knew about that.

3. Ross was my inspiration for exploring PHP/Perl and other programming and scripting languages, after having seen what he'd done with Newgrounds. I owe whatever I have learned in those respects as a result of his work, way back when. He and I always had a decent level of e-mail correspondence back then, too.

I see.

4. Sometimes, it takes a fresh pair of eyes to look over code and realise when things could be done more efficiently. The same that could have been said of the code that was initially written and which I started looking at in 2002, and have been working on from there on in to the current day, can be said of the code I've written in the past few years of working for Newgrounds.

I believe it. I know there's more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak. I've seen the way people do things with programming, despite having a very limited knowledge of the field, and I know that it's quite common for someone to say something like "Hmm, I've never seen it done that way, but I guess it works."

When I first started with the site, I had plenty of time to write new scripts, re-write old scripts and 'new' scripts. I don't have that luxury today, because there's so much to maintain and I deal with my fair share of correspondence from users.

The price of popularity, I guess.

I'm aware that there are problems with the code that runs on the site today and Ross has already identified a lot of areas of the site that could be made more efficient, that I would never have spotted. Whether or not that's down to him looking at the code again with fresh eyes, or because he's a lot more qualified, in more programming languages than I am is irrelevant - he's spotting things that I would have missed. In other words, the pendulum swings both ways, back with how things were with his code then, and how things are with mine now.

That makes me happy to hear.

And now I want to make sure that I'm not gotten wrong about my comments (although looking back I see how they might not have been taken the right way). I basically just assumed that you guys would be working together closely on whatever coding was done, and that since you were already into the maintenance end of the site's coding, Ross would be doing what his original post stated he'd be here for: helping to implement a buncha new features.

It's not to call Ross a sloppy programmer, or you unfit for anything but optimization, just an educated guess on how things will work based on how they have previously and currently suggested methods.

People forget or are unaware that he's responsible for doing a lot more than he's credited for.

It's easier to give credit where it's due when you guys let us know the location. ;-)

C'est la vie. :)

Indeed.

All of us work incredibly hard and love doing what we're doing. I see posts now and then that seem to indicate that Tom might be a missing link somewhere, who doesn't really do a great deal. Haha - how wrong can those people be? He's around the site all the time, updating collections, making suggestions, implementing rough designs for things that will later be dealt with by the hands of the artists and then coders, etc, etc. And that's ON TOP of coding up ANOTHER console game AND dealing with more e-mails and private messages than the average human being gets AND dealing with a ton of clerical work in the office. Damnit, that man is a machine.

Ain't that the truth. Just from the meetup listening to some of the things Tom and crew would do. Seeing how they're there on weekends, even, just to work on things and do whatever around the office. I think the most interesting things I heard was Tom saying that he'd sometimes wake up early in the morning and get to the office just because he had an idea or couldn't sleep or whatever and work on Newgrounds. It was clear why this website keeps growing, expanding, and becoming more and more cool.

BBS Signature
Great-KiLaZ
Great-KiLaZ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Homecoming Aug. 8th, 2006 @ 01:05 AM Reply

welcome back to newgrounds i hope you will enjoy your stay

someone-else
someone-else
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Homecoming Aug. 8th, 2006 @ 01:06 AM Reply

Um, Welcome back?

int experience, posts;
while(experience/10 >= posts)
{posts++};

SpeedMetalSandwich
SpeedMetalSandwich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to Homecoming Aug. 8th, 2006 @ 02:15 AM Reply

welcome back dudeage

Toast
Toast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Homecoming Aug. 8th, 2006 @ 03:39 AM Reply

At 8/7/06 02:32 PM, Ross wrote: I'm married now (as of two months ago) and live in New Jersey, and Tom's getting married soon.

Inglor will get married soon too! :D
O inglor, where would we be without you...

BBS Signature
Brisingrr
Brisingrr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Homecoming Aug. 8th, 2006 @ 04:14 AM Reply

i dont know u coz well i signed up only a fw days ago but anywayzz...

WELCOME BAK!!!!!

BBS Signature
Goatpower
Goatpower
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Homecoming Aug. 8th, 2006 @ 04:44 AM Reply

Ross welcome back!

darksytze
darksytze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Homecoming Aug. 8th, 2006 @ 06:04 AM Reply

I remember seeing your names alot in the old BBS, welcome back.

Andersson
Andersson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Blank Slate
fuzzies
fuzzies
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Animator
Response to Homecoming Aug. 8th, 2006 @ 06:59 AM Reply

At 8/7/06 02:32 PM, Ross wrote: Wait until you see the stuff we've got coming up!

I just pissed my pants.

I lurk these forums like a fat kid lurks cake.

BBS Signature
Simple
Simple
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Game Developer
Response to Homecoming Aug. 8th, 2006 @ 07:38 AM Reply

woo ur back and i wasnt here when u left so u a new face but its good 2 know ppl can come bak 2 newgrounds after 8-9 years so can u tell u anything bout the new lvls and layout of newgrounds or when they come out cos they look sweet!

KingRJ
KingRJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Homecoming Aug. 8th, 2006 @ 07:48 AM Reply

At 8/7/06 02:32 PM, Ross wrote: Wait until you see the stuff we've got coming up! It's going to be a lot of fun and I'm excited to have the chance to work on it.

Alot of people are saying wait till we see this its making me crap myself

And Welcome back :)

yes.

BBS Signature
hydroxyl
hydroxyl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Homecoming Aug. 8th, 2006 @ 09:00 AM Reply

wb, ross. :)

Terminator
Terminator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to Homecoming Aug. 8th, 2006 @ 09:20 AM Reply

I have to say it's quite a shame that you decide to come back now and not before the NG meetup. It would have been awesome to meet someone such as yourself who had such a hand in the formation of Newgrounds.

BBS Signature
esspat
esspat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Blank Slate
Response to Homecoming Aug. 8th, 2006 @ 10:21 AM Reply

welcome back rossberry!

Schlupi
Schlupi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Homecoming Aug. 8th, 2006 @ 11:18 AM Reply

I remember you, from when I used my old account, Niar. I lost the password around the same time as your leave from NG.... hope you work on those new LVL icons and such...:P

I need a new sig and stuff.

BBS Signature
ABEW19043
ABEW19043
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Homecoming Aug. 8th, 2006 @ 12:45 PM Reply

I've had a couple accounts,this is the only one i've really used,but i remember you dude.