00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Jmurr12 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Homecoming

64,922 Views | 179 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Homecoming 2006-08-07 14:32:02

Hello everyone! A few astute BBS mods figured things out and almost stole my thunder, but my big news is that I'm back at NG, working once more on adding new features to the site.

So who is this Ross guy, anyway? Longtime NG users will remember me as being the person who did the original website programming around here, 6-7 years ago. I helped Tom create the Portal, Grounds Gold, and the BBS, among other things (though they've mostly all been overhauled by the very-capable James since then.) That was a crazy time - working out of Tom's bedroom, coming up with new ideas at 4 AM, and discovering the core of what Newgrounds has become. I'm proud of the work we did back then, and always have been. Newgrounds will forever be Tom's baby, but I like to think that I'm its godparent. (Or maybe its kooky uncle.)

You may be wondering (or not) why I left, and what I've been up to since then. Well, in 2001, the dot-com crash was in full-swing. I got scared about NG's ability to sustain itself and fled to a boring (but secure) job in the pharmaceutical industry. I still worked on the site occasionally in my spare time, but that didn't last long - NG needs full-time care and attention.

Fast-forward four years, and I remembered that analyzing pharmaceutical sales data was not my lifelong goal. My dream, ever since college, was to become a high school teacher. After getting the appropriate certifications, I got a teaching job last year, teaching math and computer programming at a public school in northern New Jersey.

It was fun being a teacher, and I couldn't have asked for a better school or better people alongside whom to teach. However, by the end of the year, I realized that I felt out of place in front of the classroom, and missed being able to write code myself, as opposed to only helping my students write it. Around this same time, Tom mentioned that, if I was available, he could use some extra help over the summer. All it took was working on the site for a short time to realize that this is where I belonged, and Tom welcomed me back.

It's amazing how much can change in just a few years. I'm married now (as of two months ago) and live in New Jersey, and Tom's getting married soon. Instead of being 2-3 of us working out of Tom's bedroom, there are 8-9 of us working (mostly) out of the swanky NG Office, and I get to work alongside some very talented/creative people, and collaborate with an amazing programmer.

Not to mention that the site has grown and evolved in ways I would've never expected. Wait until you see the stuff we've got coming up! It's going to be a lot of fun and I'm excited to have the chance to work on it. I'm glad to be back, and hope you enjoy using the site as much as James and I enjoy programming it!

Ross Snyder - PHP Juggler

If you find a problem on the website, send me a PM.

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 14:33:40

Welcome Back

Well-a Everybody's Heard About the Word, Tha-Tha-Tha Word-Word-Word the Word is the.....

BBS Signature

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 14:35:51

Welcome back Ross. Now, you'll see truly what kind of hell NG has become(Just kidding ; )).

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 14:35:55

Hi then. You don't even have 100 posts, now that you're back, post like hell.

PSN ID/Gamertag: KittensWithBeer

BBS Signature

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 14:35:56

AWESOME!

The site can use another programmer. I remember reading up on you, and it was kind of sad that you left.

All I can say is the kids you taught must have thought it was REALLY cool to have a teacher who was the programmer for NEWGROUNDS.

Awesome, I'm glad you're back.

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 14:36:37

I dont know you but welcome back

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 14:37:02

Oh yeah Ross, I hope you join us in the Programming forum sometimes as we can use some more regulars! James comes in from time to time which is always cool.

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 14:37:03

Well, hello there!

The first time I've ever heard of you was in that Chumbawumba post, so I can't really say I've missed you... But, you seem like a nice well-rounded guy who's intent on making Newgrounds better, so, glad to have you back!

BBS Signature

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 14:37:36

Great to see you back!

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 14:38:03

I remember you so well Ross. I missed you :'(

The cake is a spy... hahaha no

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 14:38:12

Sounds pretty exciting.

I don't quite remeber you, I think I read about you in the NG History bit ages back though. Plus you've been mentioned on the NG BBS a few times. Welcome back either way.

BBS Signature

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 14:38:17

heh, took you long enough to make a huge announcement of your return. Well, here it is.

Great News, and Welcome Back. By the sounds of it, you set some very vital foundations for Newgrounds, and hopefully NG can excel even further, now that you are back.

Have a good stay :)

I hardly ever come here anymore....

BBS Signature

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 14:38:50

Welcome back ross

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 14:39:33

With Ross back. Newgrounds will now return to God Status (it's currently at Demi-God status).

I'm sure everyone will welcome you with open arms. They'll have to with the shiny text.

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 14:39:58

Welcome back to NG.

Cambodian People for the win!

Asian users club

BBS Signature

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 14:40:45

At 8/7/06 02:32 PM, Ross wrote: I helped Tom create the Portal, Grounds Gold, and the BBS,

So you are the one to create this hell-hole of a forum.
Great to meet you.

BBS Signature

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 14:41:12

Sweet stuff.

I just hope that Newgrounds has much more updates and many new stuffs while you're around, great to see ya back.

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 14:41:40

Welcome back.

Man..I've been gone a while o.O..

BBS Signature

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 14:42:24

At 8/7/06 02:32 PM, Ross wrote: So who is this Ross guy, anyway?

Although I came to NG in 2004, but I did know about you from checking old NG News posts and saw news posts from you. Welcome to back to NG. And I did notice you coming back when I saw your name in the users online list. :P

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 14:42:33

Does this mean the chat will be moved to the more stable irc server?
i hope so.

Either way, congrats on the wifer ;)

Everything is everything

BBS Signature

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 14:43:19

At 8/7/06 02:37 PM, DFox2 wrote: Oh yeah Ross, I hope you join us in the Programming forum sometimes as we can use some more regulars! James comes in from time to time which is always cool.

No, join us in the general forum! We are much better!

PSN ID/Gamertag: KittensWithBeer

BBS Signature

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 14:43:21

Who are you?

I dont have a signature, stop bugging me.

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 14:43:47

Welcome back!

At 8/7/06 02:32 PM, Ross wrote: Newgrounds will forever be Tom's baby, but I like to think that I'm its godparent. (Or maybe its kooky uncle.)

Are you going to force Newgrounds to remove it's clothes and take naked pictures of it?

I used to be relevant.

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 14:44:44

At 8/7/06 02:32 PM, Ross wrote: I'm married now (as of two months ago)

Congratulations! And welcome back. I'm glad you came back to what you enjoy doing.

BBS Signature

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 14:44:58

"I got scared about NG's ability to sustain itself "

for shame. > : (

welcome back.

BBS Signature

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 14:46:13

At 8/7/06 02:43 PM, Stretchysumo wrote: No, join us in the general forum! We are much better!

lol, I suggested it as Ross is a PROGRAMMER and it's the PROGRAMMING forum.

Plus, general's a mess. You can always count on intelligent replies in the Programming forum.

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 14:48:31

Welcome back home, Ross. :)
Glad you made it, we saved some dinner for you. Coffee's just been made.

Tsukino Usagi of the NG /a/ {Sig by cast}

A ninja may be fast, but my dick is faster.

BBS Signature

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 14:49:04

I'm sure that, by now, you've heard this a million times already, but still, Welcome Back!

you know what: oreo cookie chimcihanga.

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 14:49:16

awww ross is back welcome back old timer hehe...

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Homecoming 2006-08-07 14:49:17

I posted on page 2.

BBS Signature