00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ErinJA just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Caveman platformer

2,862 Views | 71 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Caveman platformer 2006-08-05 16:19:54

Hm, so I was really bored today and started coding/drawing the most simplistic platformer I could think of. Yes it's supposed to look simplistic and YES it's supposed to not have many features beside the bare platformer ones.

Going trough the forest of advanced platformers we see these days I want to create something that's so simple it makes you laugh. I hope I'm on the good path...But I'll let you guys decide!

So give me tips on what (simple) features you'd like to see and give some ideas for level design.

Click here to play!

Thanks Denvish =D

Response to Caveman platformer 2006-08-05 16:32:00

ITs fun + origonal. great game in my book.

Response to Caveman platformer 2006-08-05 16:34:03

lol cool it rocks

Response to Caveman platformer 2006-08-05 16:48:01

Nice job, but I'm not sure I agree with your "simplistic as possible" gameplay theme. When I think caveman paintings, the first thing I think of is a caveman attacking a sabretooth tiger or wooly mammoth. A giant "thomp" you had in your demo feels very out of place, for neanderthal times.

I enjoyed the graphics and the caveman painting concept, but I didn't enjoy any part of the platform jumping, and felt it needed either enemies or clever jumping puzzles. Thats just my opinion.

Response to Caveman platformer 2006-08-05 17:09:55

I think you're off to a great start already, I dig the concept and the look of the graphics. The music loop is great as well.

I like collecting things in platformers, like coins or loops or whatever the case may be. It might upset the simple balance you want to preserve, but it tends to add another layer of depth to a game.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Caveman platformer 2006-08-05 17:21:05

Very interesting game

Response to Caveman platformer 2006-08-05 17:28:29

Awsome.

Response to Caveman platformer 2006-08-05 17:29:59

Ever played Humans? That was an awesome game...

Anyhow, stealing a few ideas from it, why not give your caveman the ability to carry one (and only one at a time) of exceptional pieces of caveman technology, like a Spear, Fire, a Wheel, and make it so they have to solve puzzles with these items to progress through the levels? Something to set it apart from the rest of the platformers. That, and it'd be awesome to see a fire effect done in a cave painting theme.

Oh, and I don't like the idea of dying for running INTO spikes...

Good start so far Kenney

BBS Signature

Response to Caveman platformer 2006-08-05 17:42:56

hahahaha! its cool...

Response to Caveman platformer 2006-08-05 18:24:16

For a boss you could have a giant cave painting which comes to life...
oh btw you need bosses =p
Preferably smaller enemies too, and like someone said already, weapons like a spear.

BBS Signature

Response to Caveman platformer 2006-08-06 07:53:48

- Collecting coins and/or objects ; Check!
- Next time give Pyro111 credit for the hittest =/ I always forget <3
- Puzzles using caveman items ; Check!
- Buffalo as obstacle/moving transport? ; Check!
- Enemies/Boss ; Check!

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I hope I can make it better using these suggestions..

Response to Caveman platformer 2006-08-06 08:03:14

being the resident caveman, i would like to make a few suggestions. one, give me a proper head. two. give me better things to fight, three. don't credit pyro for the engine, because he didn't code half of it. in the comments it says at the top 'with help from -vengeance-' and by help he means i fixed his entire code. four. if you're keeping it basic, make it pixel graphics.

========|| WWWWWWWW>[-[Blog] - [Audio] - [Userpage] - [Flash] - [Last.fm]-]<WWWWWWWW ||========

BBS Signature

Response to Caveman platformer 2006-08-06 08:21:51

lol great concept, it's original.. until you die =P.

Anyways good job, keep it up :).

Response to Caveman platformer 2006-08-06 08:23:02

At 8/6/06 08:03 AM, -Vengeance- wrote: being the resident caveman, i would like to make a few suggestions. one, give me a proper head. two. give me better things to fight, three. don't credit pyro for the engine, because he didn't code half of it. in the comments it says at the top 'with help from -vengeance-' and by help he means i fixed his entire code. four. if you're keeping it basic, make it pixel graphics.

Sorry, I don't want to go too detailed so the head/character will stay like that. I already wrote down that you needs things to fight with. Then I'll credit you. No pixel graphics, the caveman paintings weren't pixels now were they...

At 8/6/06 08:03 AM, EscapeFromReality wrote: I am not sure if this has been said, but cavemen and such, why not have the objects you pick up, mammoth bones/teeth, the things people were on chains/necklaces?

I already wrote that down thank you.

Response to Caveman platformer 2006-08-06 08:26:49

btw, I haven't been able to play it all the way through atm, but here're some things you can think about:

~Secret exits that take you to bonus levels.
~Coins that get you points (you've probably got them but I didn't see them).
~In some games you get letters scattered around the level, and if you collect them all by the time you reach the exit, you get a bonus reward.

Again, good luck with it :).

Response to Caveman platformer 2006-08-06 08:28:37

I like everything except for the not moving background texture, dying because I ran into the spikes and the mario music when you die. Apart from that, I think it's a refreshing platformer, simple and clear style, I like it.

BBS Signature

Response to Caveman platformer 2006-08-06 08:40:26

At 8/6/06 08:28 AM, Xeptic wrote: I like everything except for the not moving background texture, dying because I ran into the spikes and the mario music when you die. Apart from that, I think it's a refreshing platformer, simple and clear style, I like it.

It's not a background texture, it's an overlay. The running into spikes is gonna get fixed, hopefully. And the Mario music was just there because I couldn't find a good dying music.

Response to Caveman platformer 2006-08-06 08:46:08

Nice. I like the drum loop.

Response to Caveman platformer 2006-08-06 12:17:43

Alrighty, I added them creepy crawlers. Hit them on the head to kill them, don't hit them on the side! Ouch!

Click here to play!

Response to Caveman platformer 2006-08-06 12:19:12

i want to be part of thisss

None

BBS Signature

Response to Caveman platformer 2006-08-06 12:47:27

At 8/6/06 12:19 PM, -Luis- wrote: i want to be part of thisss

Okay, the character name is now -Luis-.

Response to Caveman platformer 2006-08-06 13:01:15

Really awesome Kenny. My one suggestion would be to stop the bouncing.

Writer @ www.Johnrickett.com

Response to Caveman platformer 2006-08-06 13:08:45

At 8/6/06 01:07 PM, pyro111 wrote: Kenny, I improved on that engin a lot since I last gave it to you. If you want it, PM me or contact me.

Oh, and Vengance, I did give you credit, there was no mean to be so harsh to me. Plus, I improved on it a lot.

lol, okay I want the newest version. Looks like I have to credit both you guys. No problemo.

Response to Caveman platformer 2006-08-06 13:44:20

I say that you run with the whole cave painting idea, and find ways of adding unique features based on that.

For example, you could have the cave wall move with the background and move to different areas of the cave. For example, it could stretch out into sun drenched areas where shadows take a role in the gameplay. And spending too long in the sun would cause your ink to fade.

or move under a waterfall, where water is washing away the ink and creating gaps in the levels.

Or incorporating painting new objects into the game somehow.

I'm a little over ambitious, but you get the point.

Response to Caveman platformer 2006-08-06 13:55:28

When I saw pyro's engine, i knew it wasn't coded by him from the start...I've been wondering who did do it and now i know it was vengeance.

Umm the game is good and simple, but games have to be more original than a normal platform jumping thing with enemies that go back and forth.

Simplicity doesn't make a good game without originality.

Oh and code your own games.

the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature

Response to Caveman platformer 2006-08-06 13:59:13

At 8/6/06 01:55 PM, Starogre wrote: Oh and code your own games.

What kind of prick are you? The only thing left from the engine is hittest and movement of the main character. This is the first time in my life that I use someone elses code.

And if you're a talented artist there's quite about no chance you're also talented at scripting. Beh, code your own games...

Response to Caveman platformer 2006-08-06 14:17:16

Aww Kenny, you could do so much better =P
The game is subpar, but not too great, speaking out of truth =D

I like your games a ton but I think that you could do so much better. Let me tell you what I don't like first:

-The animation of the character, and the drawing right now, while obviously being simple, is crappy =p. The run cycle is really bland! Gworsh, it's really choppyz.
- The platform engine isn't that great. When you go up a hill, it slows down your speed for a bit, when it would look nicer if it just went up the hill without a little delay.
-There aren't enough sounds, and not enough obstacles.
-It isn't THAT original, like others are saying...

I understand you want your game to be simple, so just add more simplistic challenges =)

So now, the good points:

-The controls are easy, and responsive.
-The graphics are cool, and simple, like you wanted to acheive.
-The crawlers are a nice addition, and work nicely like in many games, including Mario, which a LOT of people will say about this game and many other platformers =p
-It is pretty fun, and has a good speed, but not enough challenges like I stated.

Now things to add:

-Collectable things, relating to the theme of the game. Maybe you collect food scraps or bones for some odd reason.
- Lives, score...all that mumbojumbo
-Different enemies, ranging from flying stuff to ground stuff =p

Hmm, I'm done with this post, hope you expand on all of that.
Sorry for being a little too critical in the beginnging, but I like to be direct with people and tell them how the game really is. As of now it is only 3.00/5, above average, but mainly only average.

Expand.
Achieve.
Be free... (lolwtf?)

<3

Response to Caveman platformer 2006-08-06 15:52:19

Alright, thanks for the little review. I might consider all of this, thanks!

Response to Caveman platformer 2006-08-06 15:56:51

i find the caveman idea intruiging id be interested in sticking my thumb into this engine

None

BBS Signature

Response to Caveman platformer 2006-08-06 15:59:34

awesome game i hope you can submit it too. but may i suggest the bg to b a little lighter .