00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

girl protest agianst war

2,453 Views | 45 Replies

girl protest agianst war 2003-02-26 22:19:30

did you hear about the girl that protseted agianst the war by turning her back agianst the flag during all her Basketball games? now people are mad that she stated her oppinion,dissobaying the 1st ammendmen, thats just wrong, we all have freedon to opinion and to think we have lost that freedom is just sad. this sucks, i don't want to have to lose my firts ammendmet rights what should be done?

Response to girl protest agianst war 2003-02-26 22:37:27

At 2/26/03 10:19 PM, CharlieZAngeL wrote: did you hear about the girl that protseted agianst the war by turning her back agianst the flag during all her Basketball games? now people are mad that she stated her oppinion,dissobaying the 1st ammendmen, thats just wrong, we all have freedon to opinion and to think we have lost that freedom is just sad. this sucks, i don't want to have to lose my firts ammendmet rights what should be done?

No one disobeyed any first Amendment. She stated her opinion. She has the freedom to do that, and others have the freedom to not respect her opinion. She didn't go to jail for her actions. That would be a violation of 1st Amendment rights.

Frankly, I don't respect her decision either. Turning your back to the flag is symbolizes turning your back to your country. If she did not believe in the USA's decisions regarding war, she should have found a better way to protest.

Response to girl protest agianst war 2003-02-26 22:39:11

Frankly, I don't respect her decision either. Turning your back to the flag is symbolizes turning your back to your country. If she did not believe in the USA's decisions regarding war, she should have found a better way to protest.

yeah but its her oppinion like it or not and there are millions out there just like her

Response to girl protest agianst war 2003-02-26 22:44:50

I'm not arguing her opinion. I'm arguing the way she tried to make a statement. Obviously she was young and wasn't quite sure how to make a political statement.

Her political statement said to most people "I disagree with this country, therefore I turn my back to it." In times like these, it's especially important to keep unified behind your country. It doesn't matter if you believe what they are doing is wrong. That's probably why it bothered so many people.

Response to girl protest agianst war 2003-02-26 22:47:35

Pfft. Please, if she had lit herself on fire, or done something more exciting, we would be mildly interested. Simply put, this is just like all those articles in the newspaper about Wionna Rider and that goddam shop. I mean, who really cares?

Response to girl protest agianst war 2003-02-26 23:13:07

I think it's up to her as to what it symbolizes.

Response to girl protest agianst war 2003-02-26 23:32:54

I think it's up to her as to what it symbolizes.

Sure it is. But it's not up to her how other people interpret it. Her message was unclear, and she should have found a better way to convey whatever she was conveying.

Response to girl protest agianst war 2003-02-27 07:46:15

Symbolism or not, she's not going to accomplish anything. If she was serious about being against the war, she's do something constructive to stop it.

Response to girl protest agianst war 2003-02-27 08:21:46

If she was serious about being against the war, she's do something constructive to stop it.

Assassinate Bush? I can't think of many other things which would stop a war.

Clearly her statement worked, or else we wouldn't be talking about it now, would we?

I've never understood American's obsessive patriotism, with the Pledge of Allegience and all that shite. I get the impression that like every classroom has a flag and every other public building. I can't even remember the last time I saw a British or English flag. Saying that I do have an Irish flag still up in my frontroom from the World Cup.

Response to girl protest agianst war 2003-02-27 10:19:02

At 2/26/03 10:21 PM, JudgeMeHarshX wrote: Shut up with these stupid topics!

Stop telling people to stop posting topics. Telling people their topics are stupid or replying with posts such as "why was this even posted" is considered spam. If you do not like a topic, do not post. If you think a topic violates rules, send an email to a mod.

Quote of the day: @Nysssa "What is the word I want to use here?" @freakapotimus "Taint".

Response to girl protest agianst war 2003-02-27 10:55:40

At 2/27/03 08:21 AM, Slizor wrote:
If she was serious about being against the war, she's do something constructive to stop it.

You aren't advocating assasination, are you?

Clearly her statement worked, or else we wouldn't be talking about it now, would we?

You could say that. However, I also think she should have gone about it in a different way. The flag represents the nation as a whole, not just Bush or the Republican Party. Such actions can be interpreted as "I hate/am against America", regardless of her intended meaning. She has a right to make a statement, but I have a right to not like her statement.

I've never understood American's obsessive patriotism, with the Pledge of Allegience and all that shite. I get the impression that like every classroom has a flag and every other public building.

It seems like that's the way it used to be, but not so much anymore. In my last couple of years of high school, we did have pledge recitations; anyone who wanted to participate could, and if you didn't want to participate, that was fine too. I don't see anything wrong with love of country.

I can't even remember the last time I saw a British or English flag. Saying that I do have an Irish flag still up in my frontroom from the World Cup.

Why is patriotism so common in the US if it isn't so much so in other countries? It doubtlessly has been encouraged by our government, and may be a product of the Cold War: "We Americans must be united through the love of our country if we want to defeat the evil Communists!" In any case, it's just a part of our culture.

Response to girl protest agianst war 2003-02-27 14:43:15

You aren't advocating assasination, are you?

Of course not, although it would have good results...

You could say that. However, I also think she should have gone about it in a different way. The flag represents the nation as a whole, not just Bush or the Republican Party. Such actions can be interpreted as "I hate/am against America", regardless of her intended meaning.

Actually the flag represents the state (A nation is the people). And the state is? The government! And the government is? The republican party & Bush!

I've never understood American's obsessive patriotism, with the Pledge of Allegience and all that shite. I get the impression that like every classroom has a flag and every other public building.
It seems like that's the way it used to be, but not so much anymore. In my last couple of years of high school, we did have pledge recitations; anyone who wanted to participate could, and if you didn't want to participate, that was fine too. I don't see anything wrong with love of country.

A country is a bit of land, why love it?

Response to girl protest agianst war 2003-02-27 22:27:29

At 2/26/03 10:21 PM, JudgeMeHarshX wrote: Shut up with these stupid topics! All of this War-Anti War has made me wish we could just hurry up and go through, kill everyone, and move on! Alright, so she turned her back to the flag. What about the guy who set himself on fire to protest Vietnam? It's not THAT new, exciting, or original. Why are you still here, anyway? Your fifteen seconds are up.

You need to calm down a little bit. I actually heard about this girl this morning on ESPN, and it actually pisses me off. That's some fucking bullshit. She says she's not disgracing the veterans, but she doesn't like everything it stands for...

Hmm..she says she doesn't look at is because of the thousands or millions that have been killed in order for the country to prosper as much as it has.

Ok, let's think logically, if we didn't kill people, we wouldn't have a country of our own, nor be free.

We would be slaves or prisoners of some other country and millions of americans would be killed.

What a fucking moron, yea other people are going to die, that's the way it goes asshole. It actually pisses me off. And on espn, a veteran ran on the court and put a flag in her stupid face and i said, "Good, i hope she gets knocked out by this guy"

He should have knocked her stupidass out.

And the guy that burned himself to protest vietnam? Idiot...yes vietnam was unessacry, but don't spit on the vets who survived and will never be the same for the rest of their lives.

Those fundamentalists make me want to puke...they suck.

Response to girl protest agianst war 2003-02-27 22:28:43

At 2/27/03 03:43 PM, JudgeMeHarshX wrote: If you don't like the war, just say "I don't like war." Don't go turning your back on your country like that. I know what she was trying to say, and I can see how people would inerpret it wrong. Just...argh. We need to stop being so razy.

Well said.

Response to girl protest agianst war 2003-02-28 13:13:00

*I know I'm going to get killed for this one...*
I have to agree with the girl's decision to turn her back on the flag in protest of the war in Iraq. Patriotisim should not be mandatory.
I do not think she was trying to disgrace vets either because protesting a new war does not do that.
Like her opinion or not, we all have the right to protest something we do not like. It's what makes us the free people.
*Ok I'm done. Fire at will, I'm a woman, I'm built to take it*

Response to girl protest agianst war 2003-02-28 22:40:05

At 2/28/03 01:13 PM, The_Last_Kumiho wrote: *I know I'm going to get killed for this one...*
I have to agree with the girl's decision to turn her back on the flag in protest of the war in Iraq. Patriotisim should not be mandatory.

THANK YOU! she did what she thought was rite and i respect her!

Response to girl protest agianst war 2003-03-01 01:05:23

that stupid ignorant girl. she should sit in the locker room instead of embarassing her school. Makes me sick.

Response to girl protest agianst war 2003-03-01 01:22:26

Well, look at what a hypocrit she is:

She says she believes that America stands for intolerence and big business.

Well, where is her money for her FULL RIDE SCHOLARSHIP coming from? Thats exactly right, big business. And when she gets out of college that she didnt even pay for, she'll have a 4 year degree and will be well on her way to earning the big bucks.

Secondly, she says shes just expressing the other side of things, well those things happened many many years ago, like slavery and the running out of the Native Americans. I hate self righteous assholes who still say that that is a problem, when she herself knows nothing of their plight and is just looking for an excuse to get some attention, which unfortunatly she has. Where is her tolerence for the people who serve this country and give her a place where she can express her opinion eh? Thats right, the men and women of the US armed forces that are fighting for her stupid ass right now.

I think she should really just have some respect and grow the fuck up. Shes a little whiney brat with nothing better to do than cause trouble.

Response to girl protest agianst war 2003-03-01 01:28:13

Ok, let's think logically, if we didn't kill people, we wouldn't have a country of our own, nor be free.

This reminds me of this quote...

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
--John Stewart Mill--

I would hope that everyone would think of this quote before they go off on how war is so bad, and remember the simple fact that freedom is never free.

Response to girl protest agianst war 2003-03-01 01:56:08

Nicely said SchiesterSpear.

Someone who agrees with me...

Response to girl protest agianst war 2003-03-01 09:58:56

She says she believes that America stands for intolerence and big business.

Well, where is her money for her FULL RIDE SCHOLARSHIP coming from? Thats exactly right, big business.

I think that proves her point. Anyhow Big Business always finds a way around taxes.

Secondly, she says shes just expressing the other side of things, well those things happened many many years ago, like slavery and the running out of the Native Americans.

She was protesting a war against Iraq..... And I would like to point out that it was the slaughtering of the Native Americans, not running out.

Where is her tolerence for the people who serve this country and give her a place where she can express her opinion eh? Thats right, the men and women of the US armed forces that are fighting for her stupid ass right now.

Hah, they will not fight for her, but against the Iraqis. To take their oil.

I think she should really just have some respect and grow the fuck up. Shes a little whiney brat with nothing better to do than cause trouble.

I think you should get reading glasses.

Response to girl protest agianst war 2003-03-01 10:36:18

I'd say this girl is pretty damn brave. Being the only one to have the guts to say that she doesn't believe in her country, in a society were everyone says you must love your country.

It's so fucking stupid that you yanks always shout "we are a democratic country, with freedom of speech" but when someone's opinion doesn't equal the public opinion he or she is bad, and a terrorist and all that crap. Hypocricy al the way.

Response to girl protest agianst war 2003-03-01 11:14:23

she knows how she feels and she did what she thought was rite we can't accuse her of bieng wrong because thats her oppinion, and if i were to do that it would be really hard its not easy to do something like that, i really respect her and i know i said it before and i will keep saying how much i respect her, for doing what she believes is rite, to do what is rite is sometimes really hard and i know that.

Response to girl protest agianst war 2003-03-01 11:32:16

You can agree with what she did or not, but this girls right to protest is supposedly one of the things we are fighting for.

Its kind of odd, she's disrespecting one of the relatively few countries in the world that allows her the right to do so...

I think you can look at it as her being ungrateful, or patriotic in a very pure sense, not just blindly loving a piece of land because she was born on it, but utilizing the rights fought for by its inhabitants and the exercising the values that they are united under.

Hmm, but at the same time she's disregarding all of this... interesting. I really don't see this as anyhthing to get emotional over, however. As noted in earlier posts ... so what? This is certainly not the biggest problem America is facing.

So its interesting to consider on an intellectual level, but some of you guys are ready to kill people. Seems silly to me.

Response to girl protest agianst war 2003-03-01 17:51:48

So its interesting to consider on an intellectual level, but some of you guys are ready to kill people. Seems silly to me.

most people taht respond to these forums really kill the people that state what they don't believe it would be nice to have a really good forum without word bashing

Response to girl protest agianst war 2003-03-01 21:22:51

<You need to calm down a little bit. I actually heard about this girl this morning on ESPN, and it actually pisses me off. That's some fucking bullshit. She says she's not disgracing the veterans, but she doesn't like everything it stands for...

Hmm..she says she doesn't look at is because of the thousands or millions that have been killed in order for the country to prosper as much as it has.

We would be slaves or prisoners of some other country and millions of americans would be killed.

What a fucking moron, yea other people are going to die, that's the way it goes asshole. It actually pisses me off. And on espn, a veteran ran on the court and put a flag in her stupid face and i said, "Good, i hope she gets knocked out by this guy"

He should have knocked her stupidass out.

And the guy that burned himself to protest vietnam? Idiot...yes vietnam was unessacry, but don't spit on the vets who survived and will never be the same for the rest of their lives.

Those fundamentalists make me want to puke...they suck.>

Damn straight.....

People are such idiots

Response to girl protest agianst war 2003-03-02 12:17:53

everyone expresses thier oppnion and they are all people and so are you so you just called yourself an idiot

Response to girl protest agianst war 2003-03-02 15:07:01

Charlie, what you consider "word bashing" we consider debate. A politics debate forum without debate would be everyone stating what they thought, never disagreeing, and never discussing.

People pick apart each others posts to respond to certain parts and argue over them. And we can say this girl is wrong all we like, because though it's her opinion, it's our opinion that she's wrong.

"The American flag stands as a symbol of freedom and democracy for our Nation and flies over all three branches of our Federal Government...
Mr. Speaker, the American flag means more to us than just liberty, justice, and freedom. It stands for more than the pain and suffering of those Americans who followed the American flag into battle and fought in the gas filled trenches of France, on the frozen battlefield of Europe, in the hot deserts of Africa, and in the steamy jungles of the South Pacific and Southeast Asia or wherever in the world Americans have fought and died in the name of freedom. It means more than the feeling of pride it evokes every time it passes on parade, every time we sing the national anthem, and every time we stand before the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

The American flag is also a commitment to the young people of America that they will have a future filled with peace, justice, honor, and duty. It means that our children and grandchildren will be able to raise their families under the same freedoms and liberties that we have and that they will have all the opportunities we enjoy to work in the job of our choice and worship in the church of our choice. "
Floor Speech By
Congressman Bill Young

I believe there are many more intelligent, more useful things she could have done, and that I have little respect for what she did. I believe she did not do this for a deep belief that she stands against the flag, I believe she did this more for the attention she knew she would recieve.

Response to girl protest agianst war 2003-03-02 17:47:39

People pick apart each others posts to respond to certain parts and argue over them. And we can say this girl is wrong all we like, because though it's her opinion, it's our opinion that she's wrong.

i know thats the way to debate but some people have no hearts and really kill everyones thoughts and feelings, so sometimes its koay to go crazy but tio just say to some postes like shut up blow me isn't really conciderd to be breaking it up and disscusing it because they just want to get more popularity or whatever, those posts mean nothing and shouldn't even me posted thats what i'm getting at.

Response to girl protest agianst war 2003-03-02 18:17:16

if the flag represents freedom then it represents the freedom to protest... end of discussion, its not stupid, or un-patriotic or anything else... its called what the FUCKING FLAG represents... live with it. America was founded by a bunch of guys that didnt want to trust the government okay...

Also, I respect any military person, police officer, anyone of those people I have nothing but respecct for them... BUT other than Revolution, War of 1812, Civil War, World War I & II, explain to me when America was defending itself in battle... Korea, Vietnam, Guatamala, Nicaragua, Panama, Libya, Gulf War, Iraq 2... hell even the war on terror