00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

xrusteater0 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Improvisation occurances.

543 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Improvisation occurances. 2006-07-26 23:38:01

Does anybody else have this problem?

You're plinking around on your instrument of choice. You find an interesting melody and you decide to expand on it. After playing, you realize that this is worth writing down, only to realize that you've picked one of the worst keys in which to write.

That happened to me yesterday. I was playing my marimba and my "song" ended up in E-flat minor (six flats). I was depressed.

Response to Improvisation occurances. 2006-07-26 23:45:36

Ha ha yeah that's happened to me before... When you're on the marimba, you don't really realize how many flats/sharps you're actually using. But you can still play in that key, it's not too hard for mallet instruments (in my opinion). Or you could always transpose it...

Response to Improvisation occurances. 2006-07-27 00:07:25

At 7/26/06 11:38 PM, gecko21189 wrote: Does anybody else have this problem?

You're plinking around on your instrument of choice. You find an interesting melody and you decide to expand on it. After playing, you realize that this is worth writing down, only to realize that you've picked one of the worst keys in which to write.

That happened to me yesterday. I was playing my marimba and my "song" ended up in E-flat minor (six flats). I was depressed.

Just write down the melody and transpose it by hand if you have to. It's not difficult. Bringing it up a simple halfstep will bring you E minor, with only 1 sharp. Granted, some keys sound different than others. I think E minor is a little brighter sounding than Eb Minor, so that may not be the sound you're looking for.

It is quite possible to transpose the key, or maybe you could keep it in the native key and improve your compositional skills.

BBS Signature

Response to Improvisation occurances. 2006-07-27 02:39:18

i dunno. I just wish my mind would work in easier keys so I wouldn't have to plod through a complex key signature when i'm trying to notate it. Who knows? Chances are it'll show up here pretty soon.