Stolen audio.

Step
Step
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Nov. 6th, 2011 @ 03:31 PM Reply

At 11/6/11 03:30 PM, RampantMusik wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1 30628
Stolen audio.

I lol'd.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
Rampant
Rampant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Nov. 6th, 2011 @ 03:38 PM Reply

At 11/6/11 03:31 PM, Supersteph54 wrote:
At 11/6/11 03:30 PM, RampantMusik wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1 30628
Stolen audio.
I lol'd.

I cried.

Step
Step
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Nov. 6th, 2011 @ 04:55 PM Reply

At 11/6/11 03:31 PM, Supersteph54 wrote: I lol'd.

Wait whoa, what a crappy 4000th post that was.

By the way, this song uses vocals from the original song, New Divide by Linkin Park.

• [TC] New Divide Remix
    [TC] New Divide Remix by TranceCrafter

Click to listen.

Score
    4.39 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Trance
    Popularity

BBS Signature
djInTheDark
djInTheDark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Nov. 25th, 2011 @ 03:18 AM Reply

I might be naive but, to me, the kick + snare appears to be sampled from "Bend It Like You Don't Care" by Tiesto. If I'm wrong (which I definitively don't think I am) I apologize.

The Main Thing is to keep the Main, Thing the Main Thing.
Latest Song: Retraktion [House/Electro] / Latest Mix: Voltaicly Uncondensed

BBS Signature
Rampant
Rampant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Nov. 25th, 2011 @ 03:51 AM Reply

At 11/25/11 03:18 AM, djInTheDark wrote: I might be naive but, to me, the kick + snare appears to be sampled from "Bend It Like You Don't Care" by Tiesto. If I'm wrong (which I definitively don't think I am) I apologize.

Percussion's generally a very hard thing to rule on in these cases, since the same kits could be used. However, I will investigate this tomorrow (aka when I'm jacked up on caffeine).

Also, we appreciate you bringing this to our attention in this thread, but these kinds of things should not be bought up in the actual reviews :)

Thanks.

Screch
Screch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Nov. 25th, 2011 @ 03:56 AM Reply

Bitch basically just uploaded the mp3 off the CD to newgrounds

• system of a down streamline
    system of a down streamline by vladsmakker

Click to listen.

Score
    2.01 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Heavy Metal
    Popularity

djInTheDark
djInTheDark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Nov. 26th, 2011 @ 05:18 PM Reply

At 11/25/11 03:51 AM, RampantMusik wrote: Also, we appreciate you bringing this to our attention in this thread, but these kinds of things should not be bought up in the actual reviews :)

Yea that was a bad move on my part. Got a little carried away. But hey it was good for something I guess lol. Won't happen again...

Audio Portal Cleanup

The Main Thing is to keep the Main, Thing the Main Thing.
Latest Song: Retraktion [House/Electro] / Latest Mix: Voltaicly Uncondensed

BBS Signature
DJDela
DJDela
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Nov. 26th, 2011 @ 05:34 PM Reply

At 11/26/11 05:18 PM, djInTheDark wrote:
Yea that was a bad move on my part. Got a little carried away. But hey it was good for something I guess lol. Won't happen again...

What's wrong with using drum samples?
Like I said before, many drum samples are similar, producers often use them from existing packs like Vengeance samples.

dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Nov. 26th, 2011 @ 06:16 PM Reply

At 9/2/11 09:34 PM, brokendeck wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1 39468
This is actually the instrumental version of German band Haggard's "The Origin", from their album Tales of Ithiria.

Here's a youtube LINK to let you hear.

HolyFUCK! 2 years of blindness for me to listen to that piece of music and thought that guy composed it.

Shame on me for being a Haggard fan and didn't know their music be stolen...

Thank you brokendeck for pointing this out.

What comes around goes around...

BBS Signature
ThisIsAnEmergency
ThisIsAnEmergency
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Nov. 27th, 2011 @ 11:25 PM Reply

I'm just wondering, at what point do we know if something is legal to "sample" or not? Almost all of the Hip-Hop Olskool portal is just sampled projects..

Such as..

• In the Moment - Dureagon
    In the Moment - Dureagon by DJDureagon

Click to listen.

Score
    4.45 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Hip Hop - Olskool
    Popularity

or..

• EX!!! -The Moon Was Yellow WIP
    EX!!! -The Moon Was Yellow WIP by EternalXIII

Click to listen.

Score
    4.42 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Hip Hop - Olskool
    Popularity

and..

• To Love Me - LoveKavi
    To Love Me - LoveKavi by LoveKavi

Click to listen.

Score
    4.44 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Hip Hop - Modern
    Popularity

Now, as far as I know, all of these samples could already be in the Public Domain which would make them free and legal to create something else out of.

However, I was just wondering at exactly how far does this whole thing go and exactly what I am able to submit as far as the Audio Portal goes because I have plenty of sampled beats myself. Of course I was never sure if it was ever ever legal to show any of them. Or maybe if I just make the voice sound like a squirrel... maybe it will be legal... lol... but yea, I was just wondering about all of that. Thank you.

BBS Signature
BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Nov. 28th, 2011 @ 08:19 PM Reply

At 11/27/11 11:25 PM, ThisIsAnEmergency wrote:
However, I was just wondering at exactly how far does this whole thing go and exactly what I am able to submit as far as the Audio Portal goes because I have plenty of sampled beats myself. Of course I was never sure if it was ever ever legal to show any of them. Or maybe if I just make the voice sound like a squirrel... maybe it will be legal... lol... but yea, I was just wondering about all of that. Thank you.

No sampling of copyrighted material is allowed. Even if it's 0.05 seconds. If it's copyrighted, it's a no-no. Copyrights last for like 70 plus years, and last longer if the copyright holders renew the (which most of them do).

As far as using something that's "public domain" I wouldn't do that either, as submitting something that is not 100% your own creation violates the submission guidelines and may get you banned from submitting audio.

Step
Step
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Nov. 29th, 2011 @ 12:35 AM Reply

At 11/28/11 08:19 PM, brokendeck wrote: No sampling of copyrighted material is allowed. Even if it's 0.05 seconds. If it's copyrighted, it's a no-no. Copyrights last for like 70 plus years, and last longer if the copyright holders renew the (which most of them do).

As far as using something that's "public domain" I wouldn't do that either, as submitting something that is not 100% your own creation violates the submission guidelines and may get you banned from submitting audio.

To add to what he said, strictly speaking you can't use copyrighted sounds even if you edit them beyond recognition. Additionally, I agree with brokendeck that you should try and avoid sampling at all even if it's public domain.

This is because some people can't make the difference between lightly sampling some public domain samples to add to their song and making 90% of their song out of the samples. There's a difference between the former and the latter and if it's the former we'll approve the artist, but remember that the main thing here is making the song your own.

To put it in an example, even if there's a library of loops which is public domain, if you make the song out of it, it's not your own. However, if you grab one one or two of the beats from the library and use them in your song, then there isn't anything wrong with that.

BBS Signature
ThisIsAnEmergency
ThisIsAnEmergency
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Nov. 29th, 2011 @ 02:08 PM Reply

So I'm technically NOT aloud to sample 1 key from a Vinyl Piano song I have and post it here, however, its only "1 beat?" so it would be ok for me to post such work?

BBS Signature
BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Nov. 29th, 2011 @ 06:41 PM Reply

At 11/29/11 02:08 PM, ThisIsAnEmergency wrote: So I'm technically NOT aloud to sample 1 key from a Vinyl Piano song I have and post it here, however, its only "1 beat?"

Why would you even need to sample something like that when any keyboard or most DAWs with legal built-in sounds has a built-in piano soundfont / pack?

so it would be ok for me to post such work?

Technically? Still no.

ThisIsAnEmergency
ThisIsAnEmergency
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Nov. 29th, 2011 @ 07:41 PM Reply

At 11/29/11 06:41 PM, brokendeck wrote: Why would you even need to sample something like that when any keyboard or most DAWs with legal built-in sounds has a built-in piano soundfont / pack?

Vinyl-type sounds better and just more real to me.

Technically? Still no.

Ahh ok. Thank you.

BBS Signature
yagru
yagru
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Nov. 30th, 2011 @ 06:42 PM Reply

just fyi, even justice can get away with sampling,

There are three credited samples present on the album: "You Make Me Wanna Wiggle" by The Brothers Johnson was sampled for "Newjack", "Tenebre (main theme)" by Goblin was sampled for "Phantom" and "Phantom Pt. II", and "Night on Disco Mountain" by David Shire was sampled for "Stress". However, the band has stated there are many samples in the form of "microsamples" present on the album in which the author of the original composition would not recognize their work was sampled.

[2] De Rosnay stated that as many as 400 albums were used as sampled material and spoke about the microsampling process:
...we do sample really small bits of things that nobody can recognize. "Say we use the 'In Da Club' hand clap - not even 50 Cent would notice but if you listen to 'Genesis,' the first track [on %u2020], there are samples of Slipknot, Queen and 50 Cent, but they are such short samples no one can recognize them. The ones from Slipknot, for example, are just tiny bits of the voice."[4]

from wiki

\|/

BBS Signature
Rampant
Rampant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Nov. 30th, 2011 @ 06:59 PM Reply

At 11/30/11 06:42 PM, yagru wrote: just fyi, even justice can get away with sampling,

A little insider music industry stuff --
Justice can't actually get away with sampling. The record labels all know songs are being sampled. The thing is, they don't want to risk suing people like GirlTalk because the labels don't want to lose the case and set a precedent.

In the U.S., we have Fair Use as a defense. What the labels are worried about is someone like GirlTalk using Transformative Fair Use as a defense -- in other words, sampling so many different pieces of music and changing them so drastically that the original song becomes almost unrecognizable, perhaps even giving a brand new spin or direction to the song that nobody else had done.

If Transformative Fair Use became a precedent, it would unleash a whole new wave of people using samples as much as GirlTalk, and Justice, and Hip-Hop producers do, without clearing and licensing samples.

TL;DR: Nobody's "getting away" with sampling. What they're doing is still illegal: it's just that no labels have sued for copyright infringement.

JPRixdorfer
JPRixdorfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Dec. 1st, 2011 @ 05:24 PM Reply

I got a question and this seems to be the right place. What if one would sample this, being marked as public domain by archive.org? I find public domain right a little confusing, so question is if archive.org is a reliable source on that.

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Dec. 1st, 2011 @ 06:20 PM Reply

At 12/1/11 05:24 PM, JPRixdorfer wrote: I got a question and this seems to be the right place. What if one would sample this, being marked as public domain by archive.org? I find public domain right a little confusing, so question is if archive.org is a reliable source on that.

The COMPOSITION is public domain (since Beethoven has been dead for centuries). But that RECORDING is copyrighted (it belongs to the website, not the public).

samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Dec. 1st, 2011 @ 06:58 PM Reply

At 12/1/11 05:24 PM, JPRixdorfer wrote: I got a question and this seems to be the right place. What if one would sample this, being marked as public domain by archive.org? I find public domain right a little confusing, so question is if archive.org is a reliable source on that.

What you need to do is find recording from the early 1900s... over 75 years back at least. You can use that. :P

Or, find a local orchestra or group that is playing it and see if you can get to record it. (ya right)

My Music - Virtual Instruments - Website
Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature
JPRixdorfer
JPRixdorfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Dec. 2nd, 2011 @ 03:00 AM Reply

oh man! Two answers and I'm more confused than before... again! I'll just scratch any plans of uploading something with that on here. Thanks anyway!

ochrence
ochrence
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Dec. 4th, 2011 @ 12:15 PM Reply

My god. First random song I get, it sounds completely stolen from an FF MIDI.
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/2 78789

Supersteph, brokendeck, and djInTheDark, do you think those songs utilizing Windows XP or Vista sounds out there are not the musicians' work? How about all the piano covers and such on NG? Or the 8-bit remixes not made out of MIDIs? Where do you draw the line?

Step
Step
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Dec. 4th, 2011 @ 12:32 PM Reply

At 12/4/11 12:15 PM, ochrence wrote: Supersteph, brokendeck, and djInTheDark, do you think those songs utilizing Windows XP or Vista sounds out there are not the musicians' work? How about all the piano covers and such on NG? Or the 8-bit remixes not made out of MIDIs? Where do you draw the line?

That stuff's all fine. The main concern is to make sure that the tracks people submit are their own work and they put some effort into it. Therefore, submitting other people's tracks, submitting tracks entirely out of MIDI files and submitting tracks made completely out of premade loops are all going too far.

However, remixes and covers (which aren't MIDI-rips) are perfectly OK, and making songs out of Windows sounds is just like making songs out of, say, VST presets (hell, even I used to make songs out of Windows sounds in the past). There's nothing wrong with it. When we say that everything you submit has to be your own original work, that doesn't mean that every single sound, melody and rhythm has to be made entirely by you, but at the same time that doesn't mean people can go submitting stuff like MIDI-rips and say it's their own work.

Of course, if you're ever unsure about whether a track is allowed or not, then just PM me or another audio mod and we'll be happy to help.

BBS Signature
Step
Step
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Dec. 9th, 2011 @ 01:52 PM Reply

Uses copyrighted samples from the original SpongeBob show.

• Krusty Krab Pizza
    Krusty Krab Pizza by Taizuku

Click to listen.

Score
    3.74 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Hip Hop - Modern
    Popularity

BBS Signature
DJDela
DJDela
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Dec. 10th, 2011 @ 03:25 AM Reply

Since I don't want to open a new topic, I'll just ask here.
Why did my song "Raise Your Weapon (DJ Dela Remix)" got deleted, even after I removed the vocals, so there was nothing in it that was against copyright?

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Dec. 10th, 2011 @ 03:32 AM Reply

At 12/10/11 03:25 AM, adsubzero wrote: Since I don't want to open a new topic, I'll just ask here.
Why did my song "Raise Your Weapon (DJ Dela Remix)" got deleted, even after I removed the vocals, so there was nothing in it that was against copyright?

Oops sorry. My fault. I didn't see your update in the comments section until it was too late.

Just upload it again.

DJDela
DJDela
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Dec. 10th, 2011 @ 03:36 AM Reply

At 12/10/11 03:32 AM, brokendeck wrote:
Oops sorry. My fault. I didn't see your update in the comments section until it was too late.

Just upload it again.

Oh well... It's just, I had 10 reviews + it was in the top 30 once.

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Dec. 10th, 2011 @ 03:40 AM Reply

At 12/10/11 03:36 AM, adsubzero wrote:

The top 30 is determined completely randomly. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

DJDela
DJDela
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Dec. 10th, 2011 @ 03:42 AM Reply

At 12/10/11 03:40 AM, brokendeck wrote:
At 12/10/11 03:36 AM, adsubzero wrote:
The top 30 is determined completely randomly. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Just kidding, nice to see you're doing your work :P