New Topic Respond to this Topic
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Jun. 24th, 2011 @ 02:13 AM Reply

At 6/24/11 01:57 AM, TLUL wrote: This was in the weekly top 5 a while back, surprising that nobody caught it.
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/4 13521
I can't find the /original/ source, but I can find a Youtube video containing it that was posted a year before hamstercake claims to have made the song. Here's the Youtube video (slightly NSFW) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os313Hcvy 8o

An audio mod being accused of theft... Interesting. Just saying... but just because it was uploaded here a year later does not mean he didn't make it a while back. And there is no concrete proof in that video to say that HCake wasn't the author.

You're best off only accusing people of theft when you can prove without a doubt that they are stealing something. If you don't know who the original author is, there is no reason to point fingers until you do.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: I want to write more metal... - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
TLUL
TLUL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Jun. 24th, 2011 @ 02:31 AM Reply

At 6/24/11 02:13 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote:
At 6/24/11 01:57 AM, TLUL wrote: This was in the weekly top 5 a while back, surprising that nobody caught it.
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/4 13521
I can't find the /original/ source, but I can find a Youtube video containing it that was posted a year before hamstercake claims to have made the song. Here's the Youtube video (slightly NSFW) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os313Hcvy 8o
An audio mod being accused of theft... Interesting. Just saying... but just because it was uploaded here a year later does not mean he didn't make it a while back. And there is no concrete proof in that video to say that HCake wasn't the author.

You're best off only accusing people of theft when you can prove without a doubt that they are stealing something. If you don't know who the original author is, there is no reason to point fingers until you do.

From the description:

"Immediately after submitting "Heavenly Inc." i felt i wanted to do another. This time i wanted to give it a little more edge. So i gave the beat a little more room ;)"

For reference, Heavenly Inc was uploaded on 9 April 2011.

Although I did consider the possibility he produced the audio well before uploading it here, especially given that he seemed to be a well-respected member of the site (I even tried to check the date on the video using a web archiver), his description implies fairly strongly that he created, or at the very least finished this track after the submission of his last one - which was only 5 days prior, not the 1 year earlier that the video was posted.

My apologies if this was a false accusation, but the suggestion that it was finalised within the week before being uploaded seemed very suspicious to me given that I had found a year-old copy that, as far as I can tell, is completely identical.

That said, I understand that without proof of the original author, it's difficult to point fingers at anyone else. I just thought that what I found should be out there.

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Jun. 24th, 2011 @ 02:36 AM Reply

At 6/24/11 02:31 AM, TLUL wrote: That said, I understand that without proof of the original author, it's difficult to point fingers at anyone else. I just thought that what I found should be out there.

I can't deny that what you do have makes it slightly suspicious, however, the fact still remains that if you don't know who the original author is, you can't prove it's theft, for all we know, he simply worded his description poorly (This happens CONSTANTLY on the Audio Portal). I'm not saying it's impossible for him to be a thief, just that there isn't enough evidence to prove it.

I would be incredibly surprised if this were true however, as he's always been a helpful member of the community.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature
Rampant
Rampant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Jun. 24th, 2011 @ 03:15 AM Reply

At 6/24/11 02:36 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: I can't deny that what you do have makes it slightly suspicious, however, the fact still remains that if you don't know who the original author is, you can't prove it's theft, for all we know, he simply worded his description poorly (This happens CONSTANTLY on the Audio Portal). I'm not saying it's impossible for him to be a thief, just that there isn't enough evidence to prove it.

I would be incredibly surprised if this were true however, as he's always been a helpful member of the community.

On the "Sky High" track page, it says "All sounds/chants downloaded from http://www.partnersinrhyme.com"

So I went to the Partners In Rhyme website. Turns out it's a royalty free music website, with full tracks and several shorter cues.

A quick search on their site comes up with this: http://www.partnersinrhyme.com/royaltyfr eemusic/World-Music-and-Ethnic-Music/Mod ern-Flamenco

Now listen to the track "El Duende" in the media player. It's not exactly the same, but it's suspiciously close... same instruments, same flavour, same tempo, same style. It sounds close enough that it leads me to believe "Sky High" merely lifts samples from the track, or others from the same package.

Of course, I want to quickly say that I'm NOT saying Hamstercake is guilty of theft... as a composer / songwriter, I understand the severity of throwing around copyright infringement accusations.

However, I would like to hear from Hamstercake himself what the case is here -- is he sampling royalty free music? Or are we limited to a verdict of 'probable cause,' without actual proof?

Certainly, if Hamstercake's tracks did lift from commercial recordings, it would explain the suspiciously consistent professional-level quality (despite the relatively short turn-around) and the NAC victories.

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Jun. 24th, 2011 @ 03:20 AM Reply

At 6/24/11 03:15 AM, RampantMusik wrote: Certainly, if Hamstercake's tracks did lift from commercial recordings, it would explain the suspiciously consistent professional-level quality (despite the relatively short turn-around) and the NAC victories.

Well, I did send him a PM to make him aware of the accusation, and I'll refrain from making any assumptions until he rather addresses it here or responds to my PM. It's only fair he knows of this IMO, regardless if he's guilty or not.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature
Step
Step
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Jun. 24th, 2011 @ 06:12 AM Reply

Somehow I'm very doubtful of hamstercake stealing anything. He always mentioned what VST's he used, how he made the songs, and the way he speaks in his reviews and in his review responses makes it seem obvious that he's a talented producer himself who made every second of his audio submissions. He even offered to collaborate with me once. Also, when I asked him what samples he used for a certain instrument in one of his songs, he easily provided me a direct link to them.

You can take a look at some of the responses he did to my reviews. Most thieves just say 'thanks!' or 'I'm glad you liked it!' or 'I enjoyed making this', but hamstercake on the other hand responds to every slight detail of my review and I never doubted for a second the songs he posted weren't his.

Either he's one HELL of a good liar, or there's some misunderstanding. It's not the first time a respected NG artist turns out to have stolen music, but to be honest a thief is the last thing I'd expect hamstercake to be. The evidence is very suspicious though - at this point we can only wait and see what he has to say.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
Rampant
Rampant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Jun. 24th, 2011 @ 12:53 PM Reply

At 6/24/11 06:12 AM, Supersteph54 wrote: Somehow I'm very doubtful of hamstercake stealing anything.

I, too, would be very surprised if he did steal anything -- he's been here a long time and, although I'm still relatively new, from what I can tell he is (and has been) a respected member of the audio community for quite some time.

He always mentioned what VST's he used, how he made the songs, and the way he speaks in his reviews and in his review responses makes it seem obvious that he's a talented producer himself...

Then again, we can look at people like DJ Cetacea or the more recent case with YouTube & SoundCloud. They both listed VST's they 'used,' talked about how 'they' made the songs. Not to mention, in my experience, people like Cetacea, who resort to stealing music, are usually completely talentless but want to be good at production / composition / etc.

You can take a look at some of the responses he did to my reviews. Most thieves just say 'thanks!' or 'I'm glad you liked it!' or 'I enjoyed making this', but hamstercake on the other hand responds to every slight detail of my review and I never doubted for a second the songs he posted weren't his.

Maybe he's just a really good producer? I mean, I had to take several production classes for which the essays were all analyzing the production on tracks using nothing but your ears (and the internet -- but there's very little information on album production techniques).

I do hope this is just a misunderstanding. I would hate to see a long-time, upstanding member of the audio community banned over something like this.

ForNoReason
ForNoReason
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Voice Actor
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Jun. 25th, 2011 @ 10:13 AM Reply

These are just remixes that use the original song.

• Alarma dos not speak americano
    Alarma dos not speak americano by bobby-perez

Click to listen.

Score
    4.45 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Techno
    Popularity
  • We No Speak Americano Remix
    We No Speak Americano Remix by Genesis11

Click to listen.

Score
    4.24 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Dance
    Popularity

II II lI

BBS Signature
seargenthippo
seargenthippo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Jul. 2nd, 2011 @ 01:56 PM Reply

Any news on Hamstercake? Did he respond to Back-From-Purgatory's PM? It would be a real shame if Hamstercake wasn't actually making his own music. As much as I respect him as an artist, I don't want to let this accusation get buried and never be heard of again. Just in the minimal possibility that it's actually true.

Hopefully, this will all turn out well.

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Jul. 2nd, 2011 @ 02:56 PM Reply

At 7/2/11 01:56 PM, seargenthippo wrote: Any news on Hamstercake? Did he respond to Back-From-Purgatory's PM?

No, I haven't gotten a reply from him yet.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature
PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Jul. 3rd, 2011 @ 07:39 AM Reply

I'd hate for this to be true. guess we'll just wait to see what happens...

BBS Signature
WizMystery
WizMystery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Jul. 3rd, 2011 @ 12:44 PM Reply

Midi rip:

• Super Mario Sunshine Boss
    Super Mario Sunshine Boss by MyVGworld

Click to listen.

Score
    0.00 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Video Game
    Popularity

SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 45
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Jul. 4th, 2011 @ 09:47 AM Reply

At 11/25/10 01:39 PM, Azoic wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/3 78623
Eminem 'mashup', admitted in description.
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/3 78670
Another mashup of bands/songs i've never heard of. Nethertheless, stolen music.

I enjoy reviewing audio and as much as I like some of his work (not all of it is mashups but most of them seem to be) I am wondering if his submissions are really allowed since they almost always contained "copyright material" of two songs put together.
http://djsethlee.newgrounds.com/audio/
Thoughts?

<3//Request a Review//Review Request Club // #9 Reviewer // #3 Audio Reviewer

BBS Signature
XsakuX
XsakuX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Jul. 4th, 2011 @ 02:35 PM Reply

So i found this one a few days back...

• Hey Baby (DJ Dela Remix)
    Hey Baby (DJ Dela Remix) by adsubzero

Click to listen.

Score
    4.42 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    House
    Popularity

The guy says it's legit, but with this sample being readily available for use in fl; I hardly see this as a remix.
Not to mention it sounds like the only real edits made here were in the mixer I.E. Louder Bass, some delay, and choppy bass mastering.
I don't believe this guy made or "re"-made this song; I'm almost 99.9% sure this is against the rules.

what do you guys think?

XsakuX
XsakuX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Jul. 4th, 2011 @ 02:41 PM Reply

At 7/4/11 02:35 PM, XsakuX wrote: So i found this one a few days back...
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/4 13670
The guy says it's legit, but with this sample being readily available for use in fl; I hardly see this as a remix.
Not to mention it sounds like the only real edits made here were in the mixer I.E. Louder Bass, some delay, and choppy bass mastering.
I don't believe this guy made or "re"-made this song; I'm almost 99.9% sure this is against the rules.

what do you guys think?

yeahhh I'm pretty sure he's breaking copyrights... This is his newest upload/ "remix"... :/

• Satisfaction (DJ Dela Remix)
    Satisfaction (DJ Dela Remix) by adsubzero

Click to listen.

Score
    4.40 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    House
    Popularity

lolwut?

Envy
Envy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Jul. 4th, 2011 @ 03:34 PM Reply

Regardless of whether or not they're "originals" they're still breaking the rules, especially the satisfaction one.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:
the brilliant songs who create a production for music
Wat

LiquidOoze
LiquidOoze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Jul. 4th, 2011 @ 04:31 PM Reply

At 7/4/11 02:35 PM, XsakuX wrote: So i found this one a few days back...
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/4 13670

what do you guys think?

I don't really understand if creating remixes using samples that came with FL is forbidden or not. I mean, they are practically the same as i.e. the Sytrus presets that come with it, right? (Not that I've ever used such a sample.)

SoundCloud || Youtube || Bandcamp || Facebook || Click below to listen to my newest track!

BBS Signature
TjA
TjA
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Jul. 4th, 2011 @ 05:19 PM Reply

Dreamscaper all over again...

BBS Signature
Step
Step
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Jul. 5th, 2011 @ 03:50 AM Reply

At 7/4/11 04:31 PM, LiquidOoze wrote: I don't really understand if creating remixes using samples that came with FL is forbidden or not. I mean, they are practically the same as i.e. the Sytrus presets that come with it, right? (Not that I've ever used such a sample.)

I can't listen to the audio tracks because of my slow-ass connection, but I'll say that using FL samples in your tracks is perfectly fine, provided that you legally bought FL.

Mashing the FL loops together, on the other hand, still goes against the 'original work' rule, since arranging premade loops only is against the rules whether it's legal to use the loops under the CC license or not.

For example, if you bought FL, made a submission with Sytrus presets and added some FL voice samples to some parts, then that's perfectly OK, but if you went to the 'Loops' section of FL, dragged some loops into the playlist, and called it your submission, then that's not OK.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
Rahmemhotep
Rahmemhotep
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Jul. 8th, 2011 @ 03:05 PM Reply

Use of Lady Gaga's actual vocals.

• Lady Gaga Born This Way Metal
    Lady Gaga Born This Way Metal by Nicholls

Click to listen.

Score
    3.31 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Heavy Metal
    Popularity

My sig is clickable and takes you some place.
Best Thread Ever

BBS Signature
Echo
Echo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Jul. 15th, 2011 @ 06:28 AM Reply

Uses vocals from the original song :\

SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 45
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Jul. 16th, 2011 @ 09:56 AM Reply

Was looking through some of the audio portal for things to review as usual and found this dude.
http://trby.newgrounds.com/audio/
All of it ripped straight from Paper Mario : The Thousand Year Door. The extra sound clips make it very obvious.

<3//Request a Review//Review Request Club // #9 Reviewer // #3 Audio Reviewer

BBS Signature
LiquidOoze
LiquidOoze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Jul. 19th, 2011 @ 03:51 PM Reply

Song contains a track which isn't made by the uploader. Same goes for the vocals.

SoundCloud || Youtube || Bandcamp || Facebook || Click below to listen to my newest track!

BBS Signature
Bafana
Bafana
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Jul. 22nd, 2011 @ 07:52 PM Reply

Here we go again...

• Wildstylez Vs. Bassmeisters
    Wildstylez Vs. Bassmeisters by Bassmeisters

Click to listen.

Score
    2.21 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Dance
    Popularity

BBS Signature
DJHeat
DJHeat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Jul. 22nd, 2011 @ 09:42 PM Reply

Your not allowed to use MIDI's aren't you? If your not allowed them then here's this shit song that got in teh top 5

• Beyond The Sea ((Kahnkahn))
    Beyond The Sea ((Kahnkahn)) by kahnor111

Click to listen.

Score
    1.96 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Miscellaneous
    Popularity

Atlas
Atlas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Jul. 28th, 2011 @ 04:58 PM Reply

• CKY-Main beat
    CKY-Main beat by Cretin

Click to listen.

Score
    3.48 / 5.00
    Type
    Loop
    Genre
    Heavy Metal
    Popularity

Stolen from the song 96 Quite Bitter Beings By CKY.

The author even states it's ripped from 96 Quite Bitter Beings.

Steam | Letterboxd | AllPoetry | Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature
JPRixdorfer
JPRixdorfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Jul. 28th, 2011 @ 05:06 PM Reply

Ah, so this is the place to tell on idiots!

• Matrix updated
    Matrix updated by Heger

Click to listen.

Score
    0.28 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Dance
    Popularity

I don't think I need to comment on it further...

LiquidOoze
LiquidOoze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Jul. 30th, 2011 @ 01:06 PM Reply

• [$k]I'm Shufflin'
    [$k]I'm Shufflin' by SteveKaOs

Click to listen.

Score
    5.00 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Dance
    Popularity

Song contains samples of 'Party Rock Anthem' by LMFAO without credit.

BBS Signature
BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Jul. 31st, 2011 @ 03:05 AM Reply

At 6/24/11 06:12 AM, Supersteph54 wrote:
Most thieves just say 'thanks!' or 'I'm glad you liked it!' or 'I enjoyed making this'.

That happens to be what majority of MY review responses are like. You know... some people, like myself, just aren't very fond of typing long-winded responses. Only on very RARE instances do I type more than 2-3 sentences.

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Cleanup Jul. 31st, 2011 @ 03:32 AM Reply

At 7/31/11 03:05 AM, brokendeck wrote:
At 6/24/11 06:12 AM, Supersteph54 wrote:
Most thieves just say 'thanks!' or 'I'm glad you liked it!' or 'I enjoyed making this'.
That happens to be what majority of MY review responses are like. You know... some people, like myself, just aren't very fond of typing long-winded responses. Only on very RARE instances do I type more than 2-3 sentences.

I also respond like this to the majority of the reviews I get... Mostly because the majority of the reviews I get don't really give me anything to really comment on aside from the fact that they liked it.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature