Respond to this Topic
Mini3D
Mini3D
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth 2003-02-23 01:28:55 Reply

At 2/22/03 09:22 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Let me clear up some things for some people. :)

As far as pop ups we hope to stop most of them. We still might have some here and there, but overall they will be scarace. However, if we can't generate enough money with the banners, we might have to occasionally run pop ups. However, we would do our best to set the popups up so visitors would only see 1 popup a day, or once every 6-12 hours or something. This wouldn't be bad. We hope to never return to the days of pop ups with every page view.

As far as bandwidth and what it is. Bandwidth is how much data you transfer. So crappy movies on NG that no one watches don't use any bandwidth, they just take up HD space which we have plenty of at the moment.

As far as users suggesting things on the BBS or users having to watch movies before voting using more bandwidth, it doesn't really. You have to think of things in perspective. We've been doing like 1.1 million submissions views a day. If we get 200 new entries and they are all watched 100 times that's only 20,000 views! That's nothing! The bulk of the views come from the movies on the front page which can get anywhere from 10,000 to 60,000 views a day, each! So 1 movie on the front page could get way more views than all the new portal submissions coming in. Then after the front page the most viewed things are in the games, toons, and genres and series sections.

As far as the BBS it hardly uses any bandwidth. It's more database intensive if anything, but our database is running very well lately. Rarely do I see the old "NG under extreme load" errors. In the past we had enough bandwidth but not enough server power. Now we have enough server power and not enough bandwidth. If you do get error messages it is probably because there is an error or problem with one of our servers from a bad script, not over use.

Again, we do not host NG out of our house. It is hosted out of a professional hosting facility in NYC.

However, if contributers optimize their Flash files better it will help with the bandwidth.

We will be working on a page on optimization tips.

For starters always import your sounds and music as .WAV files! Get a MP3 to WAV conversion program. A typical 3MB MP3 will covert to a 30MB .WAV. Now you say "That's bigger! WTF!" Well, when you export to a .swf from your .fla Flash can't recompress an imported MP3. A 3MB MP3 exports as a 3MB MP3, probably at 128kbps or whatever they are. If you import a .WAV file Flash can compress that bitch down to 24-32kbps. Sure it's not CD quality, but if you watch my bumble bee movie I compressed a pretty long MP3 down to 32kbps and it sounds good to me and the file size is like 500k for the whole movie! The other option would be to compress the MP3's down to 24-32kbps before importing them into Flash. I find it's easier to just import a .WAV and let Flash compress it.

Then as far as images go, if you import a high quality JPG at 1280x960 pixels that's 500k or something, it will export at 500k. If you import a .BMP Flash can compress it into a heavier JPG. What I do is make my images as small as I can pixel wise (If my movie size is 550x400 and the image is only half the size of the screen I could make it 275x200 pixels, or whatever), and then compress them as much as I can without making them look to artifacted (grainy). So after all this most of my images would be 10-30k.

Then try not to make more keyframes than you need. Set your audio to STREAM if you are syncing animation to it. Also be sure to make everything symbols, etc.

Also when you import music if you can get away with using a loop rather than a whole song this will greatly reduce your file size. Hope this helps.

Well when i was with Ritual Famine when he was working on his movie he did do that with the sound and pics. When I made Fidelman for the movie I made Fidel as small as I can so when he put's it in the movie he'll just strech it out. Ritual Famine tried his best in making the movie small, and yes we did just get song clips instead of the full song. And it's really kool how you tell people this, it let's others know. I remember way back when i did my shitty Megaman Tribute series you told me (over an e-mail) that once i've optimized my movies you'd put them in the VG section, and you told me how to optimize them and etc. Thanx Wade. :) Also Ritual Famine and I really want to know when the multi author submit option will be up.

{{{{{{{{Wade}}}}}}}}}}

A-sKaTeRz-LiFe
A-sKaTeRz-LiFe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth 2003-02-23 01:52:36 Reply

The games that i have been downloading have been going really slow i dunno if its the bandwidth or my computer is really a peice of shit....well this is my first post i put up so dont blame me if i suck

oh for all you pot/skateboarders heres my website

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/crash

dont blame me if it SUCKS!!!

Newgrounds Bandwidth

A-sKaTeRz-LiFe
A-sKaTeRz-LiFe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth 2003-02-23 01:57:10 Reply

I have a question...once again i speak
HOW THE HELL TO YOU PARTICAPATE IN BLAMS!!!!!!!!!!

if someone other then a nerd knows email me PLEASE!!

psycho_remix@hotmail.com

oh and dont nag at me cuz my email or name sounds different...

Newgrounds Bandwidth

MrPrez
MrPrez
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth 2003-02-23 09:36:25 Reply

At 2/22/03 11:16 PM, Zotmaster wrote:
Personally, if you did switch to any sort of donation system, I don't think I would mind sending a few bucks your way, just please don't restrict some content that people currently get to people who pay, because that would be cheating a lot of people who probably can't really afford to donate anything (seeing as the average NG-goer seems to be high school-college age)

True, paying for extra content would not be fair to some people, a donating system would be better.
Just do like i've seen on other sites, give the donaters a special icon, shield, or whatever in their profile.

Snapu
Snapu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth 2003-02-23 10:08:15 Reply

This is a good thing since we know that this place is still THE BEST DAMN GAME AND TOON PLACE EVER! But the long load times do kid of piss me off so if they have the movie/game on the authors website I watch it there.

FreezingPlanet85
FreezingPlanet85
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth 2003-02-23 11:26:38 Reply

my bro just let me download flash so i can make crappy stuf but still my dream of becomeing a flash artist is unfolding
yay

MrPrez
MrPrez
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth 2003-02-23 12:55:20 Reply

At 2/23/03 11:26 AM, FreezingPlanet85 wrote: my bro just let me download flash so i can make crappy stuf but still my dream of becomeing a flash artist is unfolding
yay

I realy REALY hope you're joking.

gltovar
gltovar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Game Developer
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth 2003-02-23 13:14:33 Reply

GO for the optical connection Tommy!

ecstasy122
ecstasy122
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth 2003-02-23 13:37:22 Reply

heres what we need. Some sort of system that sorts out whos allowed to join NG and whos not. To join the user should have to complete a challenge, make at least one valuable movie/game get a certain amount of registerd users to vote for you etc . Like a quest in an RPG . This way you could ensure that only diehard fans with good submissions and real interest for the site will join. (i know im getting carried away) But still think about it. This would be fun to do and would clean the portal and limit bandwith usage since who would have to demonstrate compression abilitys as well.

Zotmaster
Zotmaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth 2003-02-23 13:44:12 Reply

At 2/23/03 01:37 PM, ecstasy122 wrote: heres what we need. Some sort of system that sorts out whos allowed to join NG and whos not. To join the user should have to complete a challenge, make at least one valuable movie/game get a certain amount of registerd users to vote for you etc . Like a quest in an RPG . This way you could ensure that only diehard fans with good submissions and real interest for the site will join. (i know im getting carried away) But still think about it. This would be fun to do and would clean the portal and limit bandwith usage since who would have to demonstrate compression abilitys as well.

That's not a bad idea, but some people just don't have the time or talent to make a really good submission. Like me...heh. I don't think it'd be very fair to deprive them of NG just because they can't/won't make a quality submission.

Newgrounds Bandwidth

poxpower
poxpower
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth 2003-02-23 13:48:10 Reply

At 2/23/03 01:37 PM, ecstasy122 wrote: heres what we need. Some sort of system that sorts out whos allowed to join NG and whos not. To join the user should have to complete a challenge, make at least one valuable movie/game get a certain amount of registerd users to vote for you etc . Like a quest in an RPG . This way you could ensure that only diehard fans with good submissions and real interest for the site will join. (i know im getting carried away) But still think about it. This would be fun to do and would clean the portal and limit bandwith usage since who would have to demonstrate compression abilitys as well.

That would be the best way to destroy Newgrounds. Only 1% of the visitors would still be here after that, so then, tom would need them to each pay 1000$ a year for the site.
Actually, I think only professional web designers and flash artits should be allowed to open the link to the NG page! And they'd have to pay 100$ a year.
Brilliant!

BBS Signature
commiemao
commiemao
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth 2003-02-23 15:57:46 Reply

I really wonder how Newgrounds spreads so fast, and how it is so popular. I mean it barely gets any coverage anywhere else on the internet. When I heard about this website around Sept 11, it didn't even have half the submissions it has today. At this rate there's probably going to be around 100,000 submissions by the time I'm 20 (I'm 15 right now). Is there a way to increse the bandwidth so it can load movies faster and advertise the website on other popular websites like yahoo or something as a pop-up? Hope you consider my comment.

Zotmaster
Zotmaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth 2003-02-23 16:01:52 Reply

At 2/23/03 03:57 PM, commemao wrote: I really wonder how Newgrounds spreads so fast, and how it is so popular. I mean it barely gets any coverage anywhere else on the internet. When I heard about this website around Sept 11, it didn't even have half the submissions it has today. At this rate there's probably going to be around 100,000 submissions by the time I'm 20 (I'm 15 right now).

Don't underestimate the power of word of mouth. I mean, think about it...

You find a site you like. You tell two of your friends. Those two friends each tell two friends. Those two friends each tell two more friends. And so on, and so on. And if people tell three friends, well, you get the idea.

I know a lot of sites that have gotten huge without ANY advertising whatsoever. If the site's good, it's going to get hits because people are going to spread the word themselves.

Newgrounds Bandwidth

SupaReaper
SupaReaper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth 2003-02-23 16:23:00 Reply

QUIT PLAYING WITH THE BANDWITH! I don't want to get snapped again. The only way anyone will be happy is if that they have a T-line running to their house. In like 10 years all you'll have to do is plug yourself in, remember that. When that happens, I wonder if you will feel a BLAM?

TheMeEvan
TheMeEvan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth 2003-02-23 16:45:28 Reply

Links Quest for ass is dumb anyways......good

Newgrounds Bandwidth

Gary-hates-his-heart
Gary-hates-his-heart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth 2003-02-23 17:38:39 Reply

Me want Veeyo Gaymz!

FreezingPlanet85
FreezingPlanet85
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth 2003-02-23 17:39:51 Reply

hey tom i was reading the portal faq's and it said that you cant have multiple accounts on the same ip adress but theres a problem with this my big bro wanted to join also we have flash and we cant have two accounts and we really dont share much account wise and i was wondering if our ip adress would get banned if my bro started an account and submitted flash.

love fima bayudin

Steve84
Steve84
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth 2003-02-23 18:01:12 Reply

I run into slowdown alopt when the Portal is loading sometimes glad you don't have as many popups as you used to Tom.

creamyspy69
creamyspy69
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth 2003-02-23 18:30:16 Reply

Hey Tom! Remember? I DO try to visit during late evening/ early morning, but, that's when you've got this biotch shut down. So's what's a little boy to do? Actually, if you could specify the times that you have Newgrounds shut down in eastern time ( I'm west coast but I'm sure I can figure out the time difference) then it might be easier to work NG into my schedule. Thank Tombo McFulperton!

CherimoyaClock
CherimoyaClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth 2003-02-23 18:46:19 Reply

You know what would be better? Delete the users that really never use their accounts, the innactives, half of the registered members.

WoIf
WoIf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth 2003-02-23 19:25:35 Reply

i noticed less ads. then before. Now i have a question for the Fulps, i was wondering if i can advertise your website for when i play paintball. all i need from you guys is a patch that has N.G on it?
i really want to help out any way i can.

creamyspy69
creamyspy69
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth 2003-02-23 19:34:08 Reply

At 2/23/03 01:12 AM, TurnipClock wrote: fucking finally i havnt been able to downloaf a movie in months without it freeizing up

Turnip, I just thought I'd let you know that the "your" in your signature is misspelled. It should be "you're". You're welcome.

WoIf
WoIf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth 2003-02-23 20:19:02 Reply

my proposal is called a sponsorship. usually people always ask for money and shit like that. but, i know you guys aren't rich so i only asked for advertising.
this just an idea, if you guys like it e-mail me and we will talk some more about it.

Zantar41283
Zantar41283
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth 2003-02-23 20:54:30 Reply

Actually, you kinda got some press in FHM(For Him Magazine). They mentioned Gangura Girl, and had your website there, and that is the fastest growing Mens Magazine, so, free press!

maniacmonkey
maniacmonkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth 2003-02-23 21:17:58 Reply

You know what the public really cares about? The release of Pico 2!! How long have we been waiting, Tom? 2, 3 years Tom? Maybe even 4. Haven't you noticed that if the name Tom Fulp is slapped on a game it gets about a 4 rating? You made a 3 second flash that says 'Made by Tom Fulp" and I guaranty it wouldn't get blammed. STOP DOING AVERAGE STUFF AND DEMOS AND MAKE PICO 2!!!!!!!!!! Please I've been waiting patiently for 3 years! Please, please, please release Pico 2. I've waited forever. I would cry, but I don't care all that much. I'm just making a big deal.

Stomped
Stomped
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth 2003-02-23 21:55:19 Reply

Tom
I found a very good company better than Paypal, you dont need a credit card to confirm your account and its not Scam! They have an excellent quality customer support..

http://www.stormpay.com/?33269

I know a few website than pay without min payout just searching words

Sorry for the spam, but I think than this can works

ayegowj
ayegowj
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Artist
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth 2003-02-23 22:18:10 Reply

At 2/23/03 07:34 PM, creamyspy69 wrote:
At 2/23/03 01:12 AM, TurnipClock wrote: fucking finally i havnt been able to downloaf a movie in months without it freeizing up
Turnip, I just thought I'd let you know that the "your" in your signature is misspelled. It should be "you're". You're welcome.

Turnip Clock also spelled haven't, download, and freezing wrong. HA HA HA HA HA HA... Dumbass

Newgrounds Bandwidth

Razor-Killa
Razor-Killa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth 2003-02-23 23:25:40 Reply

Tom Fillup is a sexy bitch

Newgrounds Bandwidth

ZombieLennon
ZombieLennon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth 2003-02-24 00:21:45 Reply

At 2/22/03 12:56 PM, AxelCross wrote: Heres an idea: Get people to stop submitting crap movies!! Thats probably thw whole problem! If people would stop submitting all kinds of worthless crap movies, then NG wouldnt be so damn cloged up.

You are a fucking moron. Hardrive space is different from Bandwidth

EarthCrisis
EarthCrisis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth 2003-02-24 00:43:11 Reply

a 100mbps line would be a very very fast connection but when over 1 million people come to newgrounds it slows it down. Bring Newgrounds off-line for awhile and test how fast the connection is at http://www.dslreports.com you would like be about 20 times faster than the Dude! setting which is like 5mbits. Well do it on a day where everybody is doing something. most people have things going on, on wednesdays. Do it then and make sure its by no major holidays. You guys to get alot of Free advertisement from your buddy sites almost all of them have the NG tank with link to NG on their sites. This site is huge. Have NBC give you money and yes even let more people advertise on NG. In return free NG is advertised on their sites.