Respond to this Topic
Necromancer86
Necromancer86
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth Feb. 22nd, 2003 @ 12:17 AM Reply

You're doing a good job keeping the portal running nicely! Tip for flash artists - find FAQs from Macromedia that suggest ways to reduce filesize. A couple techniques include converting audio to a format which doesn't use a lot of space (mp3 format works well) and using a program such as Cool Edit Pro ($500 software, real good, e-mail me and I'll tell ya how to get it for free ;). Also, take the time to compress the audio, it's worth it.

Pico169
Pico169
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth Feb. 22nd, 2003 @ 12:18 AM Reply

the popularity is a double-sided sword. on one side you get more exposure on the other you get all these fucking new guys that blam anything that the don't see fit, lucky we have the levels or a lot of qualiy shit would be gone

Newgrounds Bandwidth

TheDeadmonkey
TheDeadmonkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth Feb. 22nd, 2003 @ 12:24 AM Reply

Cool about the doubleing the bandwith. Also, yea...i have noticed the lack of pop-up adds...i thought it was just me. KOOL! Cant wait till April! :-D

xritualfaminex
xritualfaminex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth Feb. 22nd, 2003 @ 01:14 AM Reply

Hey Tom, just wanted to let you know that i'm totally fine with LQFA 2 being removed from the front page to preserve some bandwidth. It was an honor having it on there to begin with. I'm sorry if it caused some problems with bandwidth, but there is no hard feelings whatsoever. Quite the contrary.

TheUnl33tCobra
TheUnl33tCobra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth Feb. 22nd, 2003 @ 02:11 AM Reply

Shit. Good thing Newgrounds r0x0rs (or whatever it is), otherwise id tell you your wasting your time :)

poxpower
poxpower
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth Feb. 22nd, 2003 @ 02:53 AM Reply

Thank god!
Wow, a small house! How small? Like Hobo-Small or more like Normal Small? Tom, Ng seems so succesful right now that you could shut it down in our faces and then fly away to Fidji Islands, where you'd live happily everafter with your pockets full of cash! But then, I guess some hardcore fan will track you down and collect the bounty that would be placed on your head by all the other NG fans. That would quite a Bounty.

I wonder what NG will be like, if anything, in 10 years... HumanTarget will have 47000 experience points and Ramagi, probably more than 500 000 blam/ protection points! The portal will feature more than 100 000 entries! The server will still be slow!

In April... you better not pull a prank liek you did when you pretended you cousin would take over NG!

BBS Signature
The-Newgrounds-Idiot
The-Newgrounds-Idiot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth Feb. 22nd, 2003 @ 03:04 AM Reply

even though the movies are down for a hour they are just really backing up the database they have so just in case of a hacking attempt they can just upload the backed up content back and they can run at normal operations... at least they'll be able to increase the speed for newgrounds cause it's takes so long to load (even with my dsl) between 1pm - 8pm here i come here alot and i come at 9pm so i can see the movies over 2 megs!! and with the new 100mbp line coming in, newgrounds will be much faster!!! can't wait

uhoh-spagettio
uhoh-spagettio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth Feb. 22nd, 2003 @ 03:23 AM Reply

Ah well.. It would have been expected. But hey the site runs fast, and I dont mind waiting alittle longer for the movies to load.
Tom did you ever think your site would become as popluar as it has?

YAY! POPUPS AWAY!

Stomped
Stomped
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth Feb. 22nd, 2003 @ 03:31 AM Reply

Newgrounds.com isnt hosted on tromaville???
That is very weird...

IstvanOrosi
IstvanOrosi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth Feb. 22nd, 2003 @ 04:03 AM Reply

I agree with keeping the file size as low as possible. If your movie size is above 2megs, definitely look into ways of reducing file size. You'll help both NewGrounds and dial-up users. :)

Istvan_from_TutiTV

BBS Signature
MrPrez
MrPrez
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth Feb. 22nd, 2003 @ 05:06 AM Reply

Necromancer86 i have do disagree with you on this one.
Most people just pop in FULL lenght MP3's, about 75% of the big flashes had been made like that (mostly made by newbies)

Tom I would suggest you, or someone else, makes an tutorial for NG on how to reduce filesize by converting/altering sounds if they choose to use bigsized, non-audio portal sounds/music.
I do think this would help a lot of people who are willing to make decent, quality movies but don't know how to do it.

Return-of-the-viruS
Return-of-the-viruS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth Feb. 22nd, 2003 @ 05:37 AM Reply

It's great that Newgrounds is so popular, but that fact that popularity decreases loading times is bad. Oh well. Not a whole lot anyone can do about it.

Dreamer1111111
Dreamer1111111
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth Feb. 22nd, 2003 @ 06:21 AM Reply

wow shit, thats a hell of a lot of visiters! and wat kinda house do ya mean? how much and all that. i cant see you being rich, but r u!?! ah well

tongueofcolicab
tongueofcolicab
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth Feb. 22nd, 2003 @ 06:24 AM Reply

Yeah, mp3 takes up the biggest part of a movie, if ur only using vector graphics you can make a really long movie before having a 2megs+ filesize. I never use mp3, I always record a song from a cd using windows' sound recorder. The filesize and quality are about the same as that of a mp3, but if you import it into flash you can lower the quality and end up with a 5min song that is about 1mb and still decent quality.

yah no more fuckin pop-up! :D

MzZl

raitendo
raitendo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth Feb. 22nd, 2003 @ 06:44 AM Reply

here's a thought - reduce the maximum size for flash entries. let one's number of portal entries or awards or exp. points or batting average or whatever increase the maximum size allowed. that way, newbies can't afford to put full length mp3's in their flashes, while those more experienced can use the size optimally. eh?

raitendo
raitendo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth Feb. 22nd, 2003 @ 06:47 AM Reply

and another thing, on making money... the biggest Swedish internet community has this "PRO membership" thing, which you pay for with your mobile phone. basically, it's totally rubbish, you get a few advantages and you can make more changes to your profile-page, but it's a big success considering the amount of fourteen year old morons hanging about. I do think NG could work out something along those lines (there are loads of moronic fourteen year olds here as well)! seriously. I'd even consider buying one, just to support NG.

DodgeBall
DodgeBall
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth Feb. 22nd, 2003 @ 06:51 AM Reply

At 2/21/03 11:59 PM, WhiteSpider wrote: Hmm, could all the people actually watching movies before they vote have something to do with it?

Heh, the portal has been really slow now that people can't just vote zero anymore....

DodgeBall
DodgeBall
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth Feb. 22nd, 2003 @ 06:55 AM Reply

At 2/22/03 06:44 AM, mackan_ wrote: here's a thought - reduce the maximum size for flash entries. let one's number of portal entries or awards or exp. points or batting average or whatever increase the maximum size allowed. that way, newbies can't afford to put full length mp3's in their flashes, while those more experienced can use the size optimally. eh?

If you do that though, you limit breakthrough artists... What if say, someone where making a large flash animation, but it wasn't due to sound or music. he's fucked... NG is fine. Give Tom some more time and we'll all be rolling over watching 'Link's Quest for Ass 2' off the front page.

chakaflange
chakaflange
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth Feb. 22nd, 2003 @ 07:23 AM Reply

im one of those annoying "english" people so im on here a different time from most other people. i tend to come on here before i got to work in the early afternoon and it runs fine. but when i get in at 11 i dont even bother because its so slow.

Newgrounds Bandwidth

RegisCartoons
RegisCartoons
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth Feb. 22nd, 2003 @ 07:43 AM Reply

New Grounds is rapidly growing huge popular monster. And i love it ;)
P.S. two T3 ???? Unreal :)

Newgrounds Bandwidth

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth Feb. 22nd, 2003 @ 09:01 AM Reply

At 2/21/03 09:50 PM, Piriax wrote: Tom...You host the website on ur computer and all the sumbmissions on it as well???? if so...how big is ur hdd and how much space is this site taking up? i imagine its a crap load!

NG runs off a whole bunch of servers in NYC, with RAID storage. :)

-Tom

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth Feb. 22nd, 2003 @ 09:02 AM Reply

At 2/21/03 11:45 PM, calmius wrote: Anyway, you should create link for users to donate money to your PayPal acount. It's likeley that out of those 1 000 000 users some will donate some $$$.

I want to set up a PayPal subscription system... So users who want to support the site can commit to $5-10 per month. Subscribers could get some fun extra features, but we wouldn't want to take away any of the current features. It would mainly be like public radio - if you enjoy it, you should want to support it. :)

-Tom

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth Feb. 22nd, 2003 @ 09:05 AM Reply

At 2/22/03 01:14 AM, xritualfaminex wrote: Hey Tom, just wanted to let you know that i'm totally fine with LQFA 2 being removed from the front page to preserve some bandwidth. It was an honor having it on there to begin with. I'm sorry if it caused some problems with bandwidth, but there is no hard feelings whatsoever. Quite the contrary.

Thanks. :) Maybe we can give it a second go on the frontpage once the bandwidth is working out better. There are some other large submissions that I would love to showcase right now, but I'm holding off.

-Tom

BBS Signature
Stomped
Stomped
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth Feb. 22nd, 2003 @ 09:16 AM Reply

Tom, do u host newgrounds on your house?
ThaT Crazy!
hehehe
:P

robfeldman
robfeldman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth Feb. 22nd, 2003 @ 09:27 AM Reply

I did notice about the bandwidth, but didn't think it was that big of a deal---I was on during peak hours and that's just what happens. As for me, I'll access Newgrounds during slower times. ;)

Great job----a million page views a day is no small feat. I'd imagine that the bandwidth issue makes that bittersweet. As for donations, I would gladly support Newgrounds to keep it alive and well!! It's an awesome site.
-Rob

ornery
ornery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Artist
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth Feb. 22nd, 2003 @ 09:57 AM Reply

I have two ideas that might free up small amounts of space and stuff. First off, I dont exactly understand this bandwith stuff but hear me out anyway. As you may know lots of crappy movies do make it past the 100 votes threshold, this is supposed to mean that the movie was good enough to get past people and be put on. However there are a large amount of old submissions that seriously suck but are unbalmable becuase they were either made pre blam era or before this limit was made and enforced. Their are actually incredibly large amounts of such submissions. I am suggesting that some sort of system or something be made that can eliminate movies that have some how managed to sneak past. A system that if a movie drops bellow a certain total score (even after it past the 100 vote checkpoint) it is blammed but nobody gets credit ( this will prevent people from attempting to blam everymovie possible just to raise thier blam points). This might free up small amounts (due to the fact that most of these movies completly suck, i.e. the movie called "face" or the clock movies where only a letter pops onto the screen). Secondly thier are lots of users out there, however many of them are inactive and may never use their account again. You guys should make some sort of thing where if a user stays inactive for say something like 6 months his account is deleted or put somewhere that he or she would have to contact you guys to get it back. Thats all, just think about this.

fourdaddy
fourdaddy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth Feb. 22nd, 2003 @ 11:12 AM Reply

this is way off topic but i was wondering if maybe i had a couple of good ideas or not... first off, on the obituaries page, could the name of the person who voted last on it be displayed, maybe with a little blam icon of sorts? and maybe have a protect animation for the saviour like the blam animation?

Darkened-Master
Darkened-Master
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth Feb. 22nd, 2003 @ 12:32 PM Reply

It's great that the pop ups are now gone with, thank the lords! Of course, I have a tiny difficult trying to load the movies and games at all, so it gets a bit tedious when I can't see a flash within a storyline...

Link's Quest for Ass 2 is almost unbearablily funny, very long too...

MrPrez
MrPrez
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth Feb. 22nd, 2003 @ 12:39 PM Reply

A system that if a movie drops below a certain total score (even after it past the 100 vote checkpoint) it is blammed but nobody gets credit ( this will prevent people from attempting to blam everymovie possible just to raise thier blam points).

It sounds like a good idea, but i forsee some problems with it.
Let's say i don't like your movies , for whatever reason it may be, and they are for quite some time on NG and don't have much votes (lets say, between 100 and 250) and I vote 0 and 1 on your movies every day with several accounts.
this means eventually your movie well get to a point he will reach the crital point ready to be blammed.
Before the whole monitring of the 0 and 1 voters, this was an good way to vote down animators who were in the top 50, mostly by jealous noobs.

I do agree there is a lot of crap on NG and that it should go. But i vagely remember Tom of Wade saying once they were thinking of a way to get rid of these movies.

MrPrez
MrPrez
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Bandwidth Feb. 22nd, 2003 @ 12:43 PM Reply

btw, setting up a paypal account would be helpfull, because i honnestly believe there are non-US Newgrounders who want to donate or help this site in any way possible.

And if you really want to do something special for the donaters, you could provide them with a sort of special Icon or Shield in their profile.