00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Thrll just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Doctor Who Crew

402,158 Views | 6,203 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2013-04-27 14:15:49

Worst of the half-series so far, such a wasted opportunity. Was just boring.

Next week's episode set in "Sweetville". Kandyman confirmed.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2013-04-27 15:27:09

Meh. It was alright, had some good moments but it was a bit boring in some places. Expectations were set a bit high because of all the 9.5/10 reviews I've been seeing. The only part I really liked was the bit where the Doctor told Clara that he met her twice before, but that was retconned with a shit deus ex machina ending. Barely even saw much of the TARDIS - a library, a tiny glimpse of a swimming pool and a make-anything-you-want tree. Next week looks boring to be honest, and I don't really like the Paternoster Gang, but at least after that we have Nightmare in Silver and The Name of the Doctor to look forward to.

god

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2013-04-27 15:40:49

At 4/27/13 03:27 PM, dogpup4 wrote: but that was retconned with a shit deus ex machina ending.

A literal reset button.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2013-04-27 15:49:26

At 4/27/13 03:27 PM, dogpup4 wrote: The Name of the Doctor to look forward to.

Look forward to? More like worry about.

The inclusion of River Song and the comic relief Sontaran alone is enough to make me worried of this episode, never mind the subject they're focusing on. There's so many ways they could mess this up that I'll be surprised with a "that was okay, I guess" episode.

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2013-04-27 16:02:22

At 4/27/13 04:01 PM, Crink wrote: those 3 salvage guys had the worst line delivery to ever be captured on film

Christ, yeah. Fucking dreadful.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2013-04-27 16:17:55

At 4/27/13 03:49 PM, Oolaph wrote: The inclusion of River Song and the comic relief Sontaran alone is enough to make me worried of this episode, never mind the subject they're focusing on. There's so many ways they could mess this up that I'll be surprised with a "that was okay, I guess" episode.

I'm not too bothered about River Song, but yeah I wish they'd leave the Paternoster Gang out of it. I wouldn't be too worried about the subject either - in every interview, Moffat always says "the Doctor's biggest secret will be revealed" - he never explicitly says his name. I'm thinking it'll just be the reason why his name is a secret, rather than the actual name itself. The Whispermen look like good villains - possibly an enemy of The Silence? After all, they seem to be trying to lure the Doctor to Trenzalore by kidnapping his friends while The Silence are trying to keep him from getting there.

god

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2013-04-27 16:49:32

I think my best case scenario for The Doctor's name is something based on the Cartmel masterplan. The idea of The Doctor as a Time Lord legend is an interesting concept and there's plenty you can do with it, it was just sort of fumbled with Lungbarrow.

At 4/27/13 04:17 PM, dogpup4 wrote: Moffat always says "the Doctor's biggest secret will be revealed" - he never explicitly says his name.

The name has to be revealed as part of the story, so that River can learn it. The audience won't hear it, but it will be spoken.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2013-04-29 06:01:25

I was hoping for swimming pool shenanigans, but whatever. Also, watching Castrovalva completely wrecks this one. TARDIS doesn't have its own gravity, and if Five managed to eject 25% of the TARDIS rooms (or whatever that percentage was, can't honestly remember off the top of my head) then it isn't infinite. Nitpicks I know, but when it's Castrovalva that's proving a writer wrong that writer is pretty damn shit.

So I am slowly realising my love for the Sixth Doctor. I watched Mysterious Planet again and it's actually pretty good, I think.

and I liked Timelash D:

I mean, he has crappy stories, but the Doctor himself is fun to watch. Oh hey, that sounds recently familiar.

Eternal spam ally of christmasraptor.

The secret to the universe revealed! Madness Combat Crew!

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2013-04-29 07:58:52

At 4/29/13 06:01 AM, joza1 wrote: So I am slowly realising my love for the Sixth Doctor. I watched Mysterious Planet again and it's actually pretty good, I think.

But that's not a Sixth Doctor episode, it's a Sabalom Glitz episode.

and I liked Timelash D:

You monster.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2013-05-01 09:07:01

New preview clip for The Crimson Horror

References, references everywhere!

The water in Majorca don't taste like what it oughta.

| AS3: Main | AS2: Main | Flash Tutorials |

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2013-05-01 09:10:09

At 5/1/13 09:07 AM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote: New preview clip for The Crimson Horror

References, references everywhere!

This is good, I liked this. "Brave heart, Tegan" was basically one of the only good things about her character, though.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2013-05-02 16:47:50

So yeah.

These set photos are a little interesting.

Doctor Who Crew

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2013-05-02 16:49:20

At 5/2/13 04:47 PM, Oolaph wrote: set photos

Apparently linking to that address doesn't work too well.

Never mind, here's the other one.

Doctor Who Crew

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2013-05-03 15:14:08

At 5/2/13 04:49 PM, Oolaph wrote:
At 5/2/13 04:47 PM, Oolaph wrote: set photos
Apparently linking to that address doesn't work too well.

Never mind, here's the other one.

Ian Chesterton? Wonder if he'll actually be returning. I suppose W. Coburn is a reference to Anthony Coburn, who wrote An Unearthly Child.

god

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2013-05-03 15:33:06

At 5/3/13 03:14 PM, dogpup4 wrote: Ian Chesterton? Wonder if he'll actually be returning. I suppose W. Coburn is a reference to Anthony Coburn, who wrote An Unearthly Child.

I'm hoping we actually get something interesting here and not just a flashback or a quick passing by. If we're not getting classic Doctors, we at least need some classic locations.

Also, thoughts on John Hurt's role? There hasn't really been anything shedding any light on who he's playing, so it's really anyone's guess at the moment.

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2013-05-04 08:06:53

At 5/3/13 03:33 PM, Oolaph wrote: Also, thoughts on John Hurt's role? There hasn't really been anything shedding any light on who he's playing, so it's really anyone's guess at the moment.

There's been a rumour that John Hurt is playing the "lost" ninth Doctor that we don't now about. Doubt it's true, it would get way too confusing to suddenly have to say David Tennant is the eleventh Doctor.

god

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2013-05-04 14:20:47

Not as bad as I was expecting, wasn't as bored as I was with last week's episode. Hoping Nightmare in Silver's good - I like Neil Gaiman's writing so I think it should be. The Cybermen still stomp about though, despite them saying that the new ones would be stealthier.

god

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2013-05-04 16:11:24

My god, I would so go gay for Jenna-Louise Coleman.

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2013-05-04 16:52:19

At 5/4/13 04:11 PM, ChaRee wrote: My god, I would so go gay for Jenna-Louise Coleman.

She certainly has very expressive eyebrows.

My PSN: Obilisk745

"Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets."

Add me on Steam! :D

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2013-05-04 17:40:23

John Hurt is in it? cool. I'm still waiting for Warwick Davis to show up.

Also, I agree that Jenna is quite attractive.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2013-05-05 20:23:41

I can't decide if The Crimson Horror needed to be 15 minutes shorter or half an hour longer.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2013-05-06 01:43:15

I am unsure about Crimson Horror. It felt the most forgettable story yet this season. Not that it is entirely a bad thing - I almost prefer one-off episodes of TV shows over a pivotal plot episode. If I fall behind in viewing because of a vacation or DVR malfunction or simple absent mindedness it's nice being able to watch something and not feel like I've missed important stuff. That's probably why I enjoyed shows like Star Trek where they would have a lot of one-off episodes but also a kind of overall story arch for some seasons.

Back to Doctor Who - I haven't really liked the cyberman episodes from thew reboot but I really enjoy Neil Gaiman's writing and I still think The Doctor's Wife is my all time favorite episode of Matt Smith's run.

Lastly, last week there was mention of a new co-producer, Brian Minchin, joining the crew who also worked on Torchwood and Sarah Jane Adventures. What do you guys think?

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic by Pingu ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2013-05-08 14:59:29

At 5/6/13 01:43 AM, Malachy wrote: Back to Doctor Who - I haven't really liked the cyberman episodes from thew reboot but I really enjoy Neil Gaiman's writing and I still think The Doctor's Wife is my all time favorite episode of Matt Smith's run.

The Cybermen episodes have never really been very good, with the exception of a few select stories. The Doctor's Wife is my favourite New Who episode overall, so I have good faith in Gaiman's writing for this one.

I'm really hoping those two kids don't stay on for long, they don't have much purpose at all and the children playing them aren't the greatest actors either. If their performance remains similar to that closing scene of the last episode, it's not gonna be easy to enjoy having them along for the ride.

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2013-05-08 23:55:52

We're finally gonna see Warwick's role this Saturday!

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2013-05-09 13:04:30

At 5/6/13 01:43 AM, Malachy wrote: I am unsure about Crimson Horror. It felt the most forgettable story yet this season.

I kinda enjoyed it actually. Though I haven't been able to see the episode "The Doctor's Wife" to really compare it.

chairs are useful

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2013-05-09 13:06:04

At 5/9/13 01:04 PM, DrClay wrote: I kinda enjoyed it actually. Though I haven't been able to see the episode "The Doctor's Wife" to really compare it.

Neil Gaiman didn't write The Crimson Horror, he's writing the next episode (Nightmare in Silver).

god

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2013-05-09 13:38:24

At 5/9/13 01:06 PM, dogpup4 wrote: Neil Gaiman didn't write The Crimson Horror, he's writing the next episode (Nightmare in Silver).

I didn't think he was. I was just saying I couldn't say whether I liked The Doctor's Wife most because I couldn't see it.

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2013-05-09 14:08:39

At 5/9/13 01:38 PM, DrClay wrote:
At 5/9/13 01:06 PM, dogpup4 wrote: Neil Gaiman didn't write The Crimson Horror, he's writing the next episode (Nightmare in Silver).
I didn't think he was. I was just saying I couldn't say whether I liked The Doctor's Wife most because I couldn't see it.

Ah nevermind, I thought you were comparing the two because you thought Neil Gaiman wrote both - didn't realise Malachy had mentioned The Doctor's Wife in his post.

god

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2013-05-09 14:48:49

I'm really unimpressed with how the BBC has handled this year.

Nothing bad to say about the show, but it's the 50th fucking anniversary, and we're getting one sixty minute special and half a series? Series 8 isn't even commissioned yet. I've no doubt it will be eventually, but if it isn't soon we could very well see no Who in 2014 due to a later start in production.

Factor in that there's been basically zero promotion and the whole thing just feels like a massive missed opportunity.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2013-05-09 14:57:59

At 5/9/13 02:48 PM, TheMaster wrote: I'm really unimpressed with how the BBC has handled this year.

Yeah, I feel the same way. This is a really big fucking deal for the show and sci-fi in general, and it's being made out to be a smaller event than most series finales have had.

I'm still keeping hope that they have something really grand planned and they're just keeping things under wraps with minimal promotion on purpose in order to surprise everyone. I know it's incredibly unlikely but I can dream, right? They really can't just have Tennant and a few small references to older Doctors for the 50th, can they?