00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TwistSSD just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Doctor Who Crew

401,940 Views | 6,203 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-09-03 19:04:44

I thought it was alright. Entertaining at least, not very good though. Next week looks pretty good.

god

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-09-03 21:36:45

I wish there were more practical solutions to the doctors problems rather than "lol just believe in yourself" or "power of friendship/love".

I watch this show for the ridiculous sciency parts damn it not this crap.

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-09-03 22:16:55

At 9/3/11 09:36 PM, SomaGuye wrote: I wish there were more practical solutions to the doctors problems rather than "lol just believe in yourself" or "power of friendship/love".

I fucking hate it. I think this is why I like the 3rd and 7th Doctors so much, as their victories were almost always the pay off to some plan or scheme. In the 3rd Doctor's case usually something he'd just cooked up in the final episode or the one before, or in the 7th Doctor's where he's been weaving it throughout the entire serial (and sometimes prior to it). Either way it's infinitely more satisfying than just pulling something out of your ass in the last 5 minutes.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-09-03 22:40:19

Didn't like this episode too much. I thought the whole story was pretty stupid and the ending was really disappointing. Though I did like the interaction between Alex and The Doctor, and the kid wasn't as irritating as I though he would be.

All in all, the episode itself sucked, but the characters still made it enjoyable.

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-09-03 22:56:57

With regard to tonight's episode's, Rory was once again the only redeeming factor. His "We're dead. Again." line was fantastic.

Give the man a spin-off already.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-09-03 23:02:30

At 9/3/11 10:56 PM, TheMaster wrote: Give the man a spin-off already.

That would quite possibly the only spin-off I would actually consider watching.

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-09-04 19:13:06

Also, remember that "You will be dead in 32 minutes" thing in Let's Kill Hitler?

Time The Doctor summons everyone to the lake in Utah: 16:30
Doctor's time of death as displayed in his file in Let's Kill Hitler and on screen at the end of the last episode: 17:02

MOFFAAAAAAAT

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-09-04 20:03:40

At 9/4/11 07:13 PM, TheMaster wrote: Also, remember that "You will be dead in 32 minutes" thing in Let's Kill Hitler?

Doctor's time of death as displayed in his file in Let's Kill Hitler and on screen at the end of the last episode: 17:02

MOFFAAAAAAAT

D: Where did it say 16:30? Then again, I miss stuff like this all the time xD
Oh, I found out Night Terrors was supposed to be the third episode of series 6. Gives more meaning to the whole Hitler in the cupboard thing, I guess.
Also, just now realising how crap The Two Doctors was. Sontarans aren't the best villains, there's too many CLONE RACES BRED FOR WAAAAAAR in the series.

Eternal spam ally of christmasraptor.

The secret to the universe revealed! Madness Combat Crew!

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-09-04 20:27:14

At 9/4/11 08:03 PM, joza1 wrote: D: Where did it say 16:30? Then again, I miss stuff like this all the time xD

It's the time on the cards in the blue envelopes everyone gets in the first episode of series 6.

Also, just now realising how crap The Two Doctors was. Sontarans aren't the best villains, there's too many CLONE RACES BRED FOR WAAAAAAR in the series.

The only good thing to come out of The Two Doctors is Season 6B. Only good Sontaran episodes are The Time Warrior and The Sontaran Experiment, and they're not AMAZING, just good.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-09-05 13:40:38

At 9/4/11 07:13 PM, TheMaster wrote: Also, remember that "You will be dead in 32 minutes" thing in Let's Kill Hitler?

Oh, Moffat.

My PSN: Obilisk745

"Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets."

Add me on Steam! :D

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-09-07 12:00:33

At 9/3/11 03:21 PM, TheMaster wrote:
At 9/3/11 03:16 PM, ArmouredGRIFFON wrote: Which episode is this? Is it like, the power of human ingenuity ending, or a really cheesy ending? I don't like to confuse the two.

I'm not a fan of this DOCTOR VISION thing Matt has going on with him either. I mean - there is so much more to being clever, then trying to look clever. It's being clever.

Which brings me to the following punchline.

Mark Gatiss is killing the Doctor...

Literally

Your friendly neighbourhood devils advocate.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-09-07 14:57:12

At 9/7/11 12:00 PM, ArmouredGRIFFON wrote: Which brings me to the following punchline.

Literally

Looking forward to him taking over as showrunner when Moffat leaves? Because he's the most likely candidate at the minute. He might actually be worse than RTD.

Since Moffat has proved a serious let down, I'd like to see the show handed off to Paul Cornell. If not him, then some fresh blood would be nice. Maybe someone who WASN'T a Doctor Who fan, like RTD and Moffat were.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-09-07 17:27:44

At 9/7/11 02:57 PM, TheMaster wrote: Since Moffat has proved a serious let down

I'd have to disagree there to be honest. Beast Below was his only truly horrible episode in my opinion, and even that wasn't as bad as some of the series 1-4 episodes. The rest of his series 5 stuff was brilliant. Impossible Astronaut was a good series opener, Good Man Goes to War was incredible, Let's Kill Hitler was total what the fuckery but still kind of good for some reason. If not the best new series writer, then definitely one of. Then again, series 6 as a whole is up and down so far. I'm not going to mention any of the other episodes because I'm not entirely sure how much input he had on them.

Gotta agree on Paul Cornell though, even if Human Nature/Family of Blood had entirely too much emo 10, and even if Father's Day wasn't as good as it should have been because I can't stand Rose. But yeah, he is pretty good. Then again, Gaiman love :3

Speaking of Rose, did anyone else hit their head off the nearest blunt object when she randomly showed up in Let's Kill Hitler? I seem to recall Moffat saying none of the RTD companions were coming back.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-09-07 17:41:47

At 9/7/11 05:27 PM, joza1 wrote: I'd have to disagree there to be honest. Beast Below was his only truly horrible episode in my opinion, and even that wasn't as bad as some of the series 1-4 episodes. The rest of his series 5 stuff was brilliant. Impossible Astronaut was a good series opener, Good Man Goes to War was incredible, Let's Kill Hitler was total what the fuckery but still kind of good for some reason. If not the best new series writer, then definitely one of. Then again, series 6 as a whole is up and down so far. I'm not going to mention any of the other episodes because I'm not entirely sure how much input he had on them.

His episodes are generally fine, but I don't like the direction he's taking the show. Focussing on River Song when she's boring as shit, even going as far as to make the setting in Let's Kill Hitler irrelevant since it may as well have been set in an empty white room for all the difference being in 1938 made, is not good storytelling, and the non-Moffat episodes are just as bad as they ever were, so he's not running the show particularly well.

Gotta agree on Paul Cornell though, even if Human Nature/Family of Blood had entirely too much emo 10, and even if Father's Day wasn't as good as it should have been because I can't stand Rose. But yeah, he is pretty good. Then again, Gaiman love :3

Cornell wrote fantastic New Adventures novels, too.

Speaking of Rose, did anyone else hit their head off the nearest blunt object when she randomly showed up in Let's Kill Hitler? I seem to recall Moffat saying none of the RTD companions were coming back.

I was glad it wasn't any more than the still image. Having heard they had cameos, I had expected more.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-09-07 18:23:03

At 9/7/11 05:41 PM, TheMaster wrote: make the setting in Let's Kill Hitler irrelevant since it may as well have been set in an empty white room for all the difference being in 1938 made

I think that was the intention with that one episode though. I mean, after Moffat runs around with all these 1.5 series-long story arcs, doing strange things such as having this random unknown woman come along at the beginning of the episode that Amy & Rory are already good friends with made the episode feel to me as borderline parody. And "sure" I thought, "I'll bite my tongue and go along for the ride - just this once."

Doomsday-One, working on stuff better than preloaders. Marginally.

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-09-07 19:39:59

At 9/7/11 02:57 PM, TheMaster wrote:
At 9/7/11 12:00 PM, ArmouredGRIFFON wrote: Which brings me to the following punchline.

Literally
Looking forward to him taking over as showrunner when Moffat leaves? Because he's the most likely candidate at the minute. He might actually be worse than RTD.

Since Moffat has proved a serious let down, I'd like to see the show handed off to Paul Cornell. If not him, then some fresh blood would be nice. Maybe someone who WASN'T a Doctor Who fan, like RTD and Moffat were.

Davis was wonderful for the most part. He, and Moffat wrote some excellent things - and I think they captured the change in the Doctors character in Season 4. David Tennant was a long running Doctor and his break down can be sought through Season 4 - little things written into the script which slowly became more obvious.

I just don't think the approach to Season 5 has been done quite right. I think it started off well on the first episode. First season had good and bad moments, second season (six) I felt the same. I like to see the passion, and difference, in the individual Doctors between their metamorphosis.

Speaking chiefly about the new series, the problem, at least to me, occurs as soon as the writers decided "Matt" (lets say) should embark on all of everything that David had to go through - because throughout his existence, that long span before he regenerated, everything that he was forced to feel and everything that had come undone came out of passion and current events. This is most prominent I feel towards the end of "The Family of Blood". There is a lot I could say about a person, pushed into the brink and edge of their life and facing such a choice, to die, or to change. It still strikes me that everybody was thinking about themselves, they were thinking about how much they need the Doctor, or telling him how "awful" he is - and not one word was spoken for the Doctor, the man who has been through more pain than anybody could possibly imagine.

Now I haven't seen Matt play that part of the Doctor, that part of suffering. For him to suddenly jump into was a horrible decision for the writers to make.

Sorry if this is convoluted, this is the best I can do on my mobile phone.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-09-07 19:41:35

At 9/7/11 07:39 PM, ArmouredGRIFFON wrote: Not one word was spoken for the Doctor, the man who has been through more pain than anybody could possibly imagine.

I feel that the writers placed particular, much needed, emphasis on this accordingly.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-09-07 20:08:21

At 9/7/11 07:39 PM, ArmouredGRIFFON wrote: Davis was wonderful for the most part. He, and Moffat wrote some excellent things - and I think they captured the change in the Doctors character in Season 4. David Tennant was a long running Doctor and his break down can be sought through Season 4 - little things written into the script which slowly became more obvious.

Davies ruined both Cybermen and The Master, couldn't write an ending for shit, shoved loads of awkward melodramatic rubbish into the show, and wrote some of the worst episodes in the show's history. I also hated the 10th Doctor in general, because his arc WASN'T well handled, he just flipped between shouting and angry and whiny and crying with nothing in between, and his regeneration was possibly the worst scene in the entire show.

I just don't think the approach to Season 5 has been done quite right. I think it started off well on the first episode. First season had good and bad moments, second season (six) I felt the same. I like to see the passion, and difference, in the individual Doctors between their metamorphosis.

I thought series 5 was the best of the revival. It had the superior writing and the better Doctor due to Moffat and Smith, but still retained the sense of adventure and exploration of the RTD years. Series 6 has been far too focussed on the River Song story, sacrificing any of the stuff that is actually interesting in Doctor Who in favour of obvious twists and more screen time for a terrible, terrible character.

Speaking chiefly about the new series, the problem, at least to me, occurs as soon as the writers decided "Matt" (lets say) should embark on all of everything that David had to go through - because throughout his existence, that long span before he regenerated, everything that he was forced to feel and everything that had come undone came out of passion and current events. This is most prominent I feel towards the end of "The Family of Blood". There is a lot I could say about a person, pushed into the brink and edge of their life and facing such a choice, to die, or to change. It still strikes me that everybody was thinking about themselves, they were thinking about how much they need the Doctor, or telling him how "awful" he is - and not one word was spoken for the Doctor, the man who has been through more pain than anybody could possibly imagine.

John Smith wasn't The Doctor, though. Him being scared of ceasing to exist shouldn't have any efect on The Doctor once he regained his memories.

Now I haven't seen Matt play that part of the Doctor, that part of suffering. For him to suddenly jump into was a horrible decision for the writers to make.

I LOVE that Matt isn't a whiny baby like Tennant was. None of the other Doctors were, and it was the worst character trait Tennant had.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-09-07 20:24:31

At 9/7/11 08:08 PM, TheMaster wrote: I LOVE that Matt isn't a whiny baby like Tennant was. None of the other Doctors were, and it was the worst character trait Tennant had.

All fair points, I would never hold my opinion exclusively above your own or anybody elses!

David wouldn't want that. And at the hastiness of this response you can probably tell how bored I am!

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-09-10 14:19:37

Expectations anyone?

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-09-10 15:08:38

Decidedly average this week.

Some nice ideas, but felt far too rushed and had no time to really expand on them. Probably would have been better suited to a two parter. Action sequences were embarrassingly bad slow motion extravaganzas, as per usual, but whatever.

Trailer for next week didn't fill me with confidence either. Toby Whithouse script, author of the decidedly average Vampires of Venice. Haven't got much hope for the rest of the series, really. After that we've got the sequel to The Lodger, easily the worst episode of series 5, with the incredibly irritating James Corden. Add in some Cybusmen (they're still Cybusmen regardless of what the logo on their chest says) and we could be looking at a new revival low point.

Then the finale is more River Song bullshit from Moffat. It's a real shame, because I think series 6 started quite strong.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-09-10 15:21:10

I thought the episode was alright. Not one of the worst, left me feeling a bit depressed at the end, but I don't think the episode could really have ended on a high. Maybe needed more Doctor, but as the post above says, it could have been better as a two parter.

Still found it entertaining, lets see what next week brings!

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-09-10 15:22:39

Great episode, best one since Day of the Moon. Next week doesn't look too bad, ep 12 looks okay and I can't wait to see what happens in episode 13. Hopefully the last of River Song, I'm just getting sick of her now.

god

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-09-10 15:28:39

At 9/10/11 03:22 PM, dogpup4 wrote: Great episode, best one since Day of the Moon.

I can agree with that. I think it suffers from the same thing The Doctor's Wife did, though, in that it was a bit of a missed opportunity. Definitely could have done with an extra 20 minutes or so. The ideas were great, but it didn't get any time to explore them by being crammed into 45 minutes.

Hopefully the last of River Song, I'm just getting sick of her now.

Euugh, couldn't agree more. Can't stand her. Didn't like her when she was just a sub-par Bernice Summerfield knockoff, dislike her even more now that she's a horrific perfect at everything Mary Sue.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-09-10 16:07:23

At 9/10/11 03:22 PM, dogpup4 wrote: Hopefully the last of River Song, I'm just getting sick of her now.

My thoughts on River Song:
Series 4: Oh wow, she should be a pretty cool character.
Series 5: Can't say no to a badass!
Series 6: 'Hello sweetie!' ASDFGHJKL FUCK OFF

I actually liked this weeks more than I thought. Definitely an improvement on last week, and as far as Doctor-lite episodes go, it was pretty good. Even if it got off to a boring start.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-09-10 16:49:45

Also, I can't believe they passed up the chance for a City of Death reference with the Mona Lisa there.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-09-10 22:08:16

You know what blows? BBC America can't be arsed to give us Doctor Who Confidential but we can get a repeat of those retarded "best of...." quasi-Confidential hour long specials after each episode after the Summer break....so why no full Confidential?

Also, I'm an Amazon Prime member and they have classic Who for free streaming.

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic by Pingu ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-09-10 22:17:26

I finished watching Torchwood.

Surprisingly passable ending by RTD standards, no magic reset button, but still not enough of a pay off after 10 episodes of this rubbish. So much of it didn't matter that I think you could probably have done the episode as a 2 parter without losing anything important. You DEFINITELY could have done it in 5 episodes like with Children of Earth.

Overall, easily the weakest season of Torchwood. None of the campy charm of the first 2 seasons, and far too padded to compete with Children of Earth, which for all it's flaws, was very tightly made.

At 9/10/11 10:08 PM, Malachy wrote: You know what blows? BBC America can't be arsed to give us Doctor Who Confidential but we can get a repeat of those retarded "best of...." quasi-Confidential hour long specials after each episode after the Summer break....so why no full Confidential?

I generally don't bother with confidential anyway, but I'm sure you can find it online somewhere. If not, the BBC puts loads of it (but not all) up on Youtube.

Oh cool, is there much available?

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-09-10 22:39:59

At 9/10/11 10:17 PM, TheMaster wrote:
Oh cool, is there much available?

Yes, 4-7 episodes each from seasons: 1, 5-7, 10, 12-19, 21, 22 and 26...seems to me to be just the multi-part episodes.

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic by Pingu ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-09-10 22:51:15

At 9/10/11 10:39 PM, Malachy wrote: seems to me to be just the multi-part episodes.

So every single episode apart from Mission to the Unknown (which you could argue is a part of The Dalek's Masterplan anyway), then?

I had a quite look and most of the stuff up is good. I would say avoid watching anything from season 16 for now, though. The entire season makes up a single story called The Key To Time, and they only have 4 of the 6 serials up.

BBS Signature