Doctor Who Crew

• 6,259 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-10 00:15:14 Reply

At 8/9/10 08:22 PM, TheMaster wrote: Doctor Who used to be about the stories, the characters were just there for them to be told through

Ok I'll agree with you there. Good writing/television is always about focusing on the characters though so it's understandable they would take that direction. Introducing every companion's family is a bit of a mis-step though.

I didn't like the Time War. He only did it because he disliked the Time Lords. All it did was give him an excuse to have The Doctor bitch and moan about his dead race. Some of the best bits in the original show are when he gets one over on the Time Lords, like that magnificent scene at the end of the Five Doctors, getting rid of them was a stupid move.

I disagree. I think every time they show the timelords on screen they make them look completely incompetent. I liked them better in the real early days when they were mysterious and all powerful. They kicked ass in The War Games (one of my favorite serials). I always envisioned the time lords as being a super intelligent race similar to the doctor instead of the doctor just being exceptionally smart. But the episodes where the doctor visits gallifrey normally makes them all look like idiots that wouldn't be able to survive without the information supplied to them from the matrix.

What I like about the time war is it's a big event that happened but was never shown on screen which instantly makes people interested in it. Kinda like how the bank robbery was never shown in reservoir dogs. And also it makes the daleks and time lords actually seem like two powerful races again after both failing on so many levels over the years. I swear if I found a dalek I reckon I could kill it using a large rock. Since the revival the daleks have seemed a lot more sturdy and deadly.

As for the doctor's bitching, well that's RTD trying to focus on characters again which he fails at.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-10 03:45:19 Reply

At 8/10/10 12:15 AM, Sticky wrote: I disagree. I think every time they show the timelords on screen they make them look completely incompetent. I liked them better in the real early days when they were mysterious and all powerful. They kicked ass in The War Games (one of my favorite serials). I always envisioned the time lords as being a super intelligent race similar to the doctor instead of the doctor just being exceptionally smart. But the episodes where the doctor visits gallifrey normally makes them all look like idiots that wouldn't be able to survive without the information supplied to them from the matrix.

That's because they WERE incompetent. They were arrogant bureaucrats, completely smug and secure in their superiority. That's why they work so well, because The Doctor always exposes them for what they really are.

What I like about the time war is it's a big event that happened but was never shown on screen which instantly makes people interested in it. Kinda like how the bank robbery was never shown in reservoir dogs. And also it makes the daleks and time lords actually seem like two powerful races again after both failing on so many levels over the years. I swear if I found a dalek I reckon I could kill it using a large rock. Since the revival the daleks have seemed a lot more sturdy and deadly.

It's not really interesting when it just boils down to "everyone is dead", though. As for the Daleks, I PREFER them to be vulnerable. Having a race of indestructible monsters is boring as shit and means they have to be destroyed in some ridiculous way that often ends in deus ex machina. Having a race of very powerful, but not invincible monsters not only leaves more doors open for endings, but it also means battle scenes between soldiers and the Daleks don't just feel like colossal wastes of time, as they might actually bring one or two down.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-10 04:24:55 Reply

At 8/10/10 03:45 AM, TheMaster wrote: That's because they WERE incompetent. They were arrogant bureaucrats, completely smug and secure in their superiority. That's why they work so well, because The Doctor always exposes them for what they really are.

hmm I never thought of it like that. I just saw them as idiotic haha It's just difficult for me to think of the creators and enforcers of time travel as anything less than super intelligent but I suppose when you think about it, that only omega's and rassilon's genius.

It's not really interesting when it just boils down to "everyone is dead", though.

Well it didn't really. There were all those beings that miraculously escaped like the master and creatures affected by the aftermath. Plus there's more to it than just the moment where the doctor killed everybody.

As for the Daleks, I PREFER them to be vulnerable. Having a race of indestructible monsters is boring as shit and means they have to be destroyed in some ridiculous way

Donna.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-10 05:43:33 Reply

At 8/10/10 04:24 AM, Sticky wrote: hmm I never thought of it like that. I just saw them as idiotic haha It's just difficult for me to think of the creators and enforcers of time travel as anything less than super intelligent but I suppose when you think about it, that only omega's and rassilon's genius.

I thought it was always made pretty clear, at least from Pertwee onwards, that the Time Lords were pompous assholes who thought they were better than everyone else, even going as far as to isolate themselves and refuse to interfere with other races, which is why The Doctor works as a character, because he's the complete opposite.

Well it didn't really. There were all those beings that miraculously escaped like the master and creatures affected by the aftermath. Plus there's more to it than just the moment where the doctor killed everybody.

That was sort of forgotten after the first few episodes, though. You had the autons and those tree people who were genuinely effect by it, and then it just devolved into "BUT LOOK DAVROS SURVIVED TOO!" and then they just did a normal Davros story, which completely defeats the point of actually having the war. If you're going to want to use your villains later, don't fucking kill them off, it just means you have to think of stupid ways to bring them back.

Donna.

Or Rose and her magic time vortex laser eyes powers. Stupid.

You have to strike a balance. I have no problem with UNIT fighting Daleks with armour penetrating rounds, because it makes sense, and wasn't THAT effective so they were still a threat. Equally fine with Ace blowing them up with Nitro-9. Not fine with people picking them up and dropping them on their sides or grabbing them from behind and rolling them around because it totally undermines them as villains.

BBS Signature
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-10 06:50:36 Reply

At 8/10/10 05:43 AM, TheMaster wrote: I thought it was always made pretty clear, at least from Pertwee onwards, that the Time Lords were pompous assholes who thought they were better than everyone else, even going as far as to isolate themselves and refuse to interfere with other races, which is why The Doctor works as a character, because he's the complete opposite.

Ya know I was gonna make a point but now I've really thought about it, it actually makes sense. When I first watched it I kinda felt like the human characters were outsmarting these super intelligent beings but when you think about it there's no reason the time lords should be smart. All their power comes from monitoring the time stream and technology. They really just run things so yeah. I just had it in my head they were so much more powerful after they time looped that planet and forced the doctor to regenerate in the war games.

BBS Signature
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-18 03:06:58 Reply

wow just saw timelash. That's some expert writing there. I certainly didn't want to know how the doctor survived that explosion with the missle.

And why does the time corridor have a cliff face?

And why can't 5 grown men pull the doctor up the cliff?

And how does having herbert climb down the rop and pull up the doctor help at all?

And why can't the morlox move after it's unchained?

And why is tekker so stupid as to oppose the borad while standing in front of his gun?

And how did the mirror scare the android?

And how does sending an android 1 hour into the past make it catch fire?

And how does the borad's plan make ANY sense?
-For one all his children will be terribly inbred
-Secondly there's not much to eat on a planet with no other life. Unless he plans to eat morlox. But then what do the morlox eat??

And I read on wiki that the doctor was implying borad becomes the loch ness monster? His condition was stable though. He didn't look like he was mutating further into a morlox.

Actually you know what? I just figured it all out. I'll explain one day >.>

BBS Signature
Centurion-Ryan
Centurion-Ryan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-18 05:33:31 Reply

At 8/9/10 04:04 AM, Sticky wrote: Davies says "I sit there in the editing room saying 'Don't cut that joke! Cut the plot, cut the murder, cut the story, but don't cut the joke."

WHY DO PEOPLE THINK THIS MAN CAN WRITE WHEN IT IS VERY CLEAR HE CANNOT

My PSN: Obilisk745
"Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets."
Add me on Steam! :D

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Programmer
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-18 07:05:45 Reply

you guys are idiots Robert downey junior as his Sherlock Holmes Persona as the next doctor you know how
kick ass that would be?

AD BLOCKER | SCRIPT BLOCKER | ACM | CNET | TOM'S HARDWARE
For all you IT news and support.

BBS Signature
Sidorio
Sidorio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-19 14:21:37 Reply

Hello Doctor Who Crew. I've been here since the first page and I rarely post nowadays, but I want to pop in and say goodbye to you all because this has been such a good thread over the years. I know you don't give a shit so please feel free to ignore me.

Lies make baby Jesus cry, bitch.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-19 14:43:14 Reply

I liked this description of Gwen from a recent Torchwood series 4 press release.

"Gun in both hands, baby strapped to her chest, she'll run and fight and never give up."

Because it totally makes it sound like she's using her baby to shield herself.

BBS Signature
Centurion-Ryan
Centurion-Ryan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-21 21:52:08 Reply

You know, I have never watched a single episode of
Torchwood.

Should I?

My PSN: Obilisk745
"Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets."
Add me on Steam! :D

BBS Signature
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-22 06:37:00 Reply

At 8/21/10 09:52 PM, Centurion-Ryan wrote: You know, I have never watched a single episode of
Torchwood.

Should I?

I enjoy it just as much as the new series of DW.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-24 09:43:48 Reply

Meglos confirmed for December DVD release, following Time and the Rani next month, and Revisitations (re-release of Talons of Weng-Chiang, Caves of Androzani and the TV movie) and The Seeds of Doom in October.

Still waiting on The Daemons and The Mind of Evil. Releasing tripe like Time and the Rani before them is criminal.

Hope we get a November release, too. Nothing scheduled for there yet, apart from series 5, which is handled separately to the classic series.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-26 07:08:08 Reply

Worryingly, that Revisitations box set is subtitled "Volume 1".

Looks like I'm buying multiple copies of even more serials!

BBS Signature
Obvious-M
Obvious-M
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-26 07:15:58 Reply

At 8/22/10 06:37 AM, Sticky wrote:
At 8/21/10 09:52 PM, Centurion-Ryan wrote: You know, I have never watched a single episode of
Torchwood.

Should I?
I enjoy it just as much as the new series of DW.

Season 1 and 2 are terrible, season 3 was good though, enjoy overly gay themes.

Gamertag- MarshallxDav | Steam ID- Eshneh | LastFM- MarshallNPK

BBS Signature
dogpup4
dogpup4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Gamer
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-28 10:49:37 Reply

SPOILERS FOR THE NEW ADVENTURE GAME!!!

New adventure game came out yesterday. I completed it in less than an hour, it was pretty short and disappointing because you only got to explore one extra room and flying the TARDIS was pretty infuriating. How the fuck do I know where the inertial dampers are?
Anyway I completed it, I rate it 5/10 but I suppose for a free game its good.

More spoilers: the end leads directly into the next adventure game, I assume its called Shadows of the Deep because its set after London is flooded and there are sharks n shit.

god

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-29 13:54:52 Reply

Series 6 is going to air in two parts.

The first 7 episodes will air at the normal time, in the spring, and will end on a cliffhanger, with the final 6 airing in the autumn.

Not sure I support this.

BBS Signature
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-29 22:19:21 Reply

At 8/29/10 01:54 PM, TheMaster wrote: Series 6 is going to air in two parts.

So gay. They give any reason for this? Is it just to try and keep doctor who interest up over a longer span of time? They normally air the new episodes of sarah jane adventures later in the year I thought they used that show to tide people over until the next season.

Up to the seventh doctor now by the way. Sixth doctor was pretty terrible. His period was just a shambles really haha. I'm not sure if I disliked their direction they wanted to take the character or just colin baker's portrayal but something wasn't right there.

And what's the deal with the valeyard? What is he like the doctor's final persona who turns out to be evil? Or a doctor number 12 and a half? lol It'd be pretty strange to see the doctor take on an evil persona. As was evident in 'the twin dilemma'.

Peri should have died too I reckon. Not because I disliked her I think she did the best of what she was given to work with. I mean with them writing the doctor as such a bastard all peri could ever do was try not to catch the worst of the doctor's mood haha but it would have been really awesome and disturbing to leave her the way she was at the end of mindwarp.

One last thing... did anyone think that part in "the mysterious planet' was hilarious when the doctor reverts to the third doctor and says something like "my head hurt abominably sarah jane" and peri replies "doctor i'm not sarah jane and you're lying under the remains of.......a robot"
....no?....just me....ok then.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-30 07:10:58 Reply

At 8/29/10 10:19 PM, Sticky wrote: So gay. They give any reason for this? Is it just to try and keep doctor who interest up over a longer span of time? They normally air the new episodes of sarah jane adventures later in the year I thought they used that show to tide people over until the next season.

Moffat want's more "event" episodes, and less stand alone filler. He's decided the best way to do it is to have two premiers and two finales. Why he just doesn't, you know, not make any filler, I don't know.

Up to the seventh doctor now by the way. Sixth doctor was pretty terrible. His period was just a shambles really haha. I'm not sure if I disliked their direction they wanted to take the character or just colin baker's portrayal but something wasn't right there.

It is definitely NOT Baker's fault. He's incredible in the audio dramas. Like, "best Doctor ever" incredible. It's the writing, and the production and fucking EVERYTHING else, but it's not Baker.

And what's the deal with the valeyard? What is he like the doctor's final persona who turns out to be evil? Or a doctor number 12 and a half? lol It'd be pretty strange to see the doctor take on an evil persona. As was evident in 'the twin dilemma'.

Potential future incarnation. Doubt we'll ever see him again as the Dream Lord is the new "Evil Doctor". Unless they just combine both characters or something, which I'd definitely be okay with.

Peri should have died too I reckon. Not because I disliked her I think she did the best of what she was given to work with. I mean with them writing the doctor as such a bastard all peri could ever do was try not to catch the worst of the doctor's mood haha but it would have been really awesome and disturbing to leave her the way she was at the end of mindwarp.

But then she couldn't live with KING BRIAN BLESSED, one of the best bits of his run.

One last thing... did anyone think that part in "the mysterious planet' was hilarious when the doctor reverts to the third doctor and says something like "my head hurt abominably sarah jane" and peri replies "doctor i'm not sarah jane and you're lying under the remains of.......a robot"
....no?....just me....ok then.

I vaguely recall a similar Fifth Doctor scene. It might have been Seventh, actually, I'm not sure.

BBS Signature
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-30 18:58:57 Reply

At 8/30/10 07:10 AM, TheMaster wrote: Moffat want's more "event" episodes, and less stand alone filler. He's decided the best way to do it is to have two premiers and two finales. Why he just doesn't, you know, not make any filler, I don't know.

Maybe so he can wind up some of his many story arcs he's introduced?

Potential future incarnation. Doubt we'll ever see him again as the Dream Lord is the new "Evil Doctor". Unless they just combine both characters or something, which I'd definitely be okay with.

We're not going to see the dream lord again. Are we? I never thought of him as a recurring villian. Unless they wanted to cash in on inception's popularity lol The whole idea of regeneration just confuses the shit out of me these days. I used to think it was as simple as there's 13 versions of the one person and when one dies he moves onto the next. But then you get shit like the watcher from logopolis. I mean where did he fit in? I wanted to think he was just the fifth doctor parading around like how kan po or whatever had his future incarnation running around in planet of the spiders. But it's not like he looked anything like the fifth doctor. He was more the doctor 4 and a half. I wish they would fill in plot holes like that.

But then she couldn't live with KING BRIAN BLESSED, one of the best bits of his run.

haha yes very true. He totally made that episode great. Mindwarp was probably my favorite episode of the 6th doctor's short run.

I vaguely recall a similar Fifth Doctor scene. It might have been Seventh, actually, I'm not sure.

I don't remember the fifth doctor in a scene like that. Unless you're talking about future incarnations doing impressions of their past selves in which case yeah in castrovalva peter davision did an impression of most of the past doctors after his regeneration.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-09-01 20:41:27 Reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwbWpBxos vo

Benny animation is out.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-09-03 21:18:46 Reply

Mark Gatiss is writing for series 6.

Not surprising really, but if anyone still has the stink of RTD on them, it's him. Hope he gets that sorted out, Victory of the Daleks was trash.

Anyway, regarding the Benny animation, I was pretty disappointed. It was just a dumb chase scene. I sort of see what they were going for, doing something you can't really do in an audioplay, but Benny's strength has always been her wit, be it in conversations with villains or allies. It did shine through at points, "Please don't be indestructible" made me smile, but mostly she was just running and hiding.

Oh well, still hope they do more in the future. This was just a glorified trailer for the next series of audioplays, really.

BBS Signature
Cocoon
Cocoon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-09-03 21:24:19 Reply

RTD's rejected most of Gatiss scripts cuz they sucked.

Moffat will keep him on because they are BFF, give mutual masturbation and walk home together.

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-09-03 21:29:13 Reply

At 9/3/10 09:24 PM, Cocoon wrote: RTD's rejected most of Gatiss scripts cuz they sucked.

Jesus, how bad would you have to be for fucking Davies to reject you?

BBS Signature
Cocoon
Cocoon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-09-03 21:59:05 Reply

Its in the book he wrote about writing. He said he felt guilty about rejecting a years worth of work from Gatiss. Although I havent read it, but if his scripts were anything like Victory of the Daleks (30 second exposition and boom space flying spitfires LOL LOL lol). Then I can see why.

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-09-03 22:25:55 Reply

Honestly, I'm more excited for Michael Moorcock's book than the new series. I love his other work, and unless they force him to dumb it down to appeal to kids or something, he's the perfect person to be writing Doctor Who books.

I mean, fuck, he did a book about a guy from 1900 who goes forward in time to an alternate 1980 in which the British Empire rules the world with a fleet of giant Zeppelins. That's exactly the sort of creativity Who needs, not generic space stations, 21st century London and out of place black people in the past.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
dogpup4
dogpup4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Gamer
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-09-07 09:24:22 Reply

At 9/4/10 09:40 AM, TheMaster wrote: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/s7/doct or-who/news/a269483/moffat-no-daleks-in-
next-who-series.html

No Daleks next series.

That's a first for the new series. I hope they do have a returning villain, one we haven't seen for ages. Sea Devils, Ice Warriors or Zygons please.

god

BBS Signature
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-09-12 23:02:25 Reply

Oh wow I just read more on the new season for torchwood.

After the destruction of Torchwood and the deaths of his grandson, friends, and his lover Ianto in the third series the only thing that could bring Jack back to Earth is "his unstated love for Gwen Cooper"

Wow. Apparently that is the ONLY THING that could bring jack back to earth. Never mind that it's his home planet. And that ya know with writing they could make up a billion billion reasons for jack to come back to earth but no. THAT is the only thing that could possibly bring him back.

BBS Signature
MrDark01234
MrDark01234
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Writer
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-09-16 04:45:25 Reply

Just watched "The Faceless Ones" and "The Evil of the Daleks".

I'd just like to say, the first one impressed me in its ability to create a great deal of suspense and an immersive atmosphere while mantaining simplicity, never going over the top.

As for the second, it's a bit of contrast; while considerately more complicated in its storytelling elements, if you can get a good grip of what's going on, you'll probably be all for it, at least during the last third of the runtime.

Loved these two, they've got all the stuff that makes me love the classic series.

I'm afraid you'll have to speak up.

BBS Signature