Doctor Who Crew

• 6,262 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-07-30 05:34:16 Reply

I don't know when the doctor who prom was on but I wish someone had told me. All the songs are on youtube now. It's great to be able to hear series 5's awesome music finally :D

Couple of my favorites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I80pc9jZ_
t8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjwkm-EU_
30&feature=related

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-07-30 09:45:41 Reply

At 7/30/10 05:34 AM, Sticky wrote: I don't know when the doctor who prom was on but I wish someone had told me. All the songs are on youtube now. It's great to be able to hear series 5's awesome music finally :D

Series 5 has had by FAR the best soundtrack of the revival.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-01 17:14:58 Reply

Everyone been watching Moffat's new show?

It's vastly better than ANYTHING he's written for Doctor Who. 21st century reimagining of Sherlock Holmes. It's called "Sherlock". 2 episodes into a 3 episode series, each 1 1/2 long, and the BBC is already looking to make. Definitely recommend it.

BBS Signature
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-02 00:53:43 Reply

At 8/1/10 05:14 PM, TheMaster wrote: Everyone been watching Moffat's new show?

The premise kinda reminds me of his last show Jekyll. If only because they're old stories brought into the current age.

BBS Signature
generationi
generationi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-03 00:59:54 Reply

Sticky, I couldn't have put it better myself. I've been a Who fan for 30 years. I started back in the Tom Baker era. It's amazing that you have the exact same reaction to those companions that I had 25 years ago!

And unfortunately, whoever mentioned that you have a long way to go before you get to Ace was right. Besides Peri, who's real easy on the eyes, but a bit annoying, it's a mess from when Nyssa leaves until Ace shows up. And boy, when you get to Melanie, you have my sympathy. I'm watching all the old stuff again, and I just started Trial of a Time Lord, so I'm almost at Melanie. I'm dreading every moment i get closer.

The only problem with Ace is that her stories aren't so great. I'm not a huge fan of the McCoy era. There's maybe 2 or 3 that I like, but the rest vary from below average to disaster. Just wait until you see how easily the Cybermen are defeated in one of McCoy's stories. It'll make you cry.

Christopher Kelly
Generation i Studios

At 7/26/10 07:35 PM, Sticky wrote: Lol what the hell? I just finished season 20. I mean did they just give up on making good companions when peter davison took over? First he had Adric who was just shit in every way.
Then there's Tegan who complains about going home all the time, until she actually gets home and then she bitches about how she wants to stay in the tardis.
Then when Adric got killed off for failing at life they replaced him with Turlough who as far as I can see is exactly the same character only with a mysterious history. Turlough even has the same "NO! NO!! NOOOOOO!!!" lines that Adric used to have. God they're so bad I can't help laughing my ass off every time they come up. hahaha
And now there's kamelion. The robot that looks like it has downs syndrome and randomly moves an arm every now and then to show that it isn't in sleep mode.
Nyssa is probably the only companion I've liked. If only because she was one of the classic, attractive female assistants the doctor always has to travel with. THAT, and she didn't ever bitch about anything like everyone else seems to do 24/7.

That's my rant for today. Not many seasons to go now before I'll have seen every episode of doctor who ever :D
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-03 04:21:33 Reply

At 8/3/10 12:59 AM, generationi wrote: stuff

I thought mel was in all of trial of a timelord? Doesn't she go to the trial with the doctor? I've actually seen that serial but it was a long time ago. It was one of the first serials I watched so luckily I don't think it was outrightly horrible because everything was new and exciting to me then haha But on that I only started watching doctor who because of how hilariously bad it was and then with the new series I kinda started to realise the show could be just as fantastic as it is brain curdling bad.

I just don't get how they can screw up the companion part so much. You get a sexy girl and write her up as a character with mild intelligence but a heart of gold that is able to get the doctor out of trouble by being in the right place at the right time (and also by doing impossible things that a girl of mild intelligence could never do). And as for male companions....Well...

BBS Signature
generationi
generationi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-03 12:12:12 Reply

At 8/3/10 04:21 AM, Sticky wrote:
At 8/3/10 12:59 AM, generationi wrote: stuff
I thought mel was in all of trial of a timelord? Doesn't she go to the trial with the doctor?

Trial starts out with Peri. In fact, the two episodes that Peri are in are two of her best, because she's not constantly arguing with The Doctor.

I just don't get how they can screw up the companion part so much. You get a sexy girl and write her up as a character with mild intelligence but a heart of gold that is able to get the doctor out of trouble by being in the right place at the right time (and also by doing impossible things that a girl of mild intelligence could never do). And as for male companions....Well...

For some reason, they started making the companions argue with The Doctor... right around when Peter Davison took over. I guess they thought that some tension was going to be fun. It was not. As you said earlier, Tegan was always complaining about going home. She's riding around in a time machine, having the adventure of a lifetime, and all she does is complain!

So have you watched all the Tom Baker episodes already? I find his episodes the best. Even if the premise is weak in an episode, or the story is horrible, Baker's portrayal of The Doctor is enough to keep me entertained. Great stuff.

Christopher Kelly
Generation i Studios

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-03 12:51:40 Reply

At 8/3/10 12:12 PM, generationi wrote: Trial starts out with Peri. In fact, the two episodes that Peri are in are two of her best, because she's not constantly arguing with The Doctor.

And one of them has Brian motherfucking Blessed, too.

BBS Signature
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-03 18:19:00 Reply

At 8/3/10 12:12 PM, generationi wrote:
At 8/3/10 12:59 AM, generationi wrote:
Trial starts out with Peri. In fact, the two episodes that Peri are in are two of her best, because she's not constantly arguing with The Doctor.

oh I must have missed that episode I dunno it was a long time ago and ABC had a habit of skipping serials. I remember mel just kinda appeared one day and I just assumed you would find out how she met the doctor at the end of Trial.

So have you watched all the Tom Baker episodes already? I find his episodes the best. Even if the premise is weak in an episode, or the story is horrible, Baker's portrayal of The Doctor is enough to keep me entertained. Great stuff.

I've watched everything from the very start including missing episodes (what still exists of them) to whatever that stupid episode was i last watched...Frontios. Waiting for Ressurection of the Daleks to download now.

I don't know if I could really say his were the best. Doctor Who is very hit and miss with me. I don't really see any specific era as having better episodes. Each era/doctor seem to just have a few key episodes that are fantastic shuffled in with a whole lot of bullshit lol I do love it when tom baker gets really angry though haha it made The Invasion of Time pretty funny. My favorite episodes from the 4th doctor were probably The Sun Makers and The Pirate Planet. Or at least those were pretty good that I remember.

I still think Patrick Troughton has been the best doctor. I see absolutely nothing special about Peter Davison. He's too...calm. Needs a little more anger to the character.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-03 18:45:13 Reply

At 8/3/10 06:19 PM, Sticky wrote: I don't know if I could really say his were the best. Doctor Who is very hit and miss with me. I don't really see any specific era as having better episodes. Each era/doctor seem to just have a few key episodes that are fantastic shuffled in with a whole lot of bullshit lol I do love it when tom baker gets really angry though haha it made The Invasion of Time pretty funny. My favorite episodes from the 4th doctor were probably The Sun Makers and The Pirate Planet. Or at least those were pretty good that I remember.

I find Jon Pertwee to have by far the most consistent run. He doesn't have anything I'd really call bad. It dips in quality a little once he's leaving Earth more often, but the Quatermass-style stuff at the beginning is superb.

I still think Patrick Troughton has been the best doctor. I see absolutely nothing special about Peter Davison. He's too...calm. Needs a little more anger to the character.

Yeah, I'd rank Patrick Troughton as best Doctor. I wouldn't rank his episodes as the best, though, if that makes sense.

Regarding Davison, he's just bland. Far too human. No eccentricities outside of the outfit.

BBS Signature
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-03 23:35:18 Reply

At 8/3/10 06:45 PM, TheMaster wrote: I find Jon Pertwee to have by far the most consistent run. He doesn't have anything I'd really call bad. It dips in quality a little once he's leaving Earth more often, but the Quatermass-style stuff at the beginning is superb.

The characters were good back then. He had excellent companions. Even his enemies seemed to have more depth to them (the master, silurians). That was a pretty good time in the series though I'm generally not fond of earth being invaded stories.

Yeah, I'd rank Patrick Troughton as best Doctor. I wouldn't rank his episodes as the best, though, if that makes sense.

Nah I totally get you. His stories are kinda aged and boring. Troughton made them good though. Enemy of the World was like awesome if only cause there was twice as much Troughton haha.

BBS Signature
generationi
generationi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-04 01:11:19 Reply

I can't argue with you guys loving Troughton. The first time I ever saw him was in The Three Doctors and he totally steals the show. Same thing in the Five Doctors, and later The Two Doctors. Some of his episodes are hard to sit through, but like Baker (in my opinion) I think Troughton elevates the material. He's my third favorite, behind Baker and Tennant.

Baker was my first Doctor, so maybe we can chalk my love-fest up to that. City of Death is my favorite of his (when they go to France).

I liked Davison when I watched it originally, but I agree with the bland comment. Wait until you hit "Caves of Androzani". It's brilliant. His best episode is his last! Ironically, the next episode is probably the worst episode ever... Twin Dilemma.

I like Pertwee a lot. He had some great companions too. There really wasn't a dud in the bunch. Even Liz Shaw was decent. Baker had Adric and Tegan at the end, so his last few episodes were tainted.

Christopher Kelly
Generation i Studios

generationi
generationi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-04 01:13:30 Reply

At 8/3/10 12:51 PM, TheMaster wrote:
At 8/3/10 12:12 PM, generationi wrote: Trial starts out with Peri. In fact, the two episodes that Peri are in are two of her best, because she's not constantly arguing with The Doctor.
And one of them has Brian motherfucking Blessed, too.

Has Brian Blessed ever been bad in anything? Even when he tones down his performance, like he did in Lovejoy, he rules. He certainly wasn't toned down in Who, though :)

Christopher Kelly
Generation i Studios

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-04 07:46:49 Reply

Animated Bernice Summerfield story announced.

Oh god yes.

Also, Seeds of Doom confirmed as DVD for October, after the Revenge of the Cybermen/Silver Nemesis box set coming out Monday, and Time and the Rani coming out September.

BBS Signature
dogpup4
dogpup4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Gamer
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-04 17:53:59 Reply

New SJA episode titles

'The Nightmare Man'
'The Vault Of Secrets'
'Death To The Doctor'
'The Empty Planet'
'Lost In Time'
'Goodbye, Sarah Jane Smith'

Of course it will be complete shit just like the last three series but I'll watch Death to the Doctor since it has The Doctor and Jo Grant.

god

BBS Signature
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-04 19:35:38 Reply

At 8/4/10 05:53 PM, dogpup4 wrote: Of course it will be complete shit just like the last three series but I'll watch Death to the Doctor since it has The Doctor and Jo Grant.

I'll watch them all. I don't know why you'd bother watching an episode just cause it has the doctor. The doctor's last appearance on the show was so tacky.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-06 21:05:13 Reply

American writers on board for Torchwood.

Jon Shiban, who wrote a good few X-Files episodes (none of them particularly good, but none of them awful either), and now works on Breaking Bad (best show on TV by miles).

Doris Egan, who worked on Dark Angel, House and Smallville, none of which I have seen, so I can't comment.

Jane Espenson, long time Whedon collaborator. Wrote a lot of Buffy, "The Replacement" probably being the only great episode. Wrote some awful ones like "Doublemeat Palace", too. Wrote on season 4 of Battlestar Galactica (which was pretty shit, although one of the episodes she wrote was a high point), and is show runner of the spinoff Caprica (which is average at best).

Also British writer John Fay, who wrote two episodes of Children of Earth.

And of course, Rusty himself is writing.

BBS Signature
Obvious-M
Obvious-M
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-07 05:46:54 Reply

Could this thread serve as a grounds for discussing Sherlock also? Because it is some amazing writing from the Moff.

At first I thought I was going to hate Sherlock Holmes, because he just didn't look the part to me, but again great casting I suppose because about 10 minutes later he was already my favorite character (in a 11th Doctor sort of way).

Shame it's already the last episode tonight, I heard somewhere they will pick it up again, I much prefer it like 3 mini movies as well, instead of a 6 or so 40 minute episodes, you can get way more thorough and it saves me waiting weeks.

The digs at RTD are also pretty funny.

Gamertag- MarshallxDav | Steam ID- Eshneh | LastFM- MarshallNPK

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-07 07:07:32 Reply

At 8/7/10 05:46 AM, Obvious-M wrote: Shame it's already the last episode tonight, I heard somewhere they will pick it up again, I much prefer it like 3 mini movies as well, instead of a 6 or so 40 minute episodes, you can get way more thorough and it saves me waiting weeks.

Cumberbatch (which is an INCREDIBLE name) said it's almost definitely getting more, it's just the details that need working out.

BBS Signature
Thestickcreator
Thestickcreator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-07 09:56:24 Reply

Cumberbatch (which is an INCREDIBLE name) said it's almost definitely getting more, it's just the details that need working out.

cumberbatch should be the 12th doctor. He fits the part perfectly!

Thestickcreator
Doctor who crew
Cinema club

BBS Signature
Thestickcreator
Thestickcreator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-07 09:57:59 Reply

Jane Espenson, long time Whedon collaborator. Wrote a lot of Buffy, "The Replacement" probably being the only great episode. Wrote some awful ones like "Doublemeat Palace", too. Wrote on season 4 of Battlestar Galactica (which was pretty shit, although one of the episodes she wrote was a high point), and is show runner of the spinoff Caprica (which is average at best).

she also wrote "shindig" off firefly, which was great,( like all firefly episodes)

Thestickcreator
Doctor who crew
Cinema club

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-07 10:29:37 Reply

At 8/7/10 09:57 AM, Thestickcreator wrote: she also wrote "shindig" off firefly, which was great,( like all firefly episodes)

Shindig is probably my favourite episode, actually. That or Objects in Space.

Too similar to Smith. Need a change eventually or it'll get boring. If you can see an actor reasonably reading the lines of the current Doctor, he shouldn't be cast as the next Doctor.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-08 17:30:22 Reply

Moriarty in Sherlock was how they SHOULD have done a younger, more eccentric Master in Doctor Who, rather than how they actually did it.

BBS Signature
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-09 04:04:05 Reply

http://lifetheuniverseandcombom.blogspot .com/2010/08/torchwood-new-world-coming-
summer-2011.html

Davies said. "If the story demands intimacy or savagery, we will go there absolutely ... [but] there's nothing better than a great big global thriller that stops for a sex scene -- it's probably hard to make that happen in a thriller."

Davies says "I sit there in the editing room saying 'Don't cut that joke! Cut the plot, cut the murder, cut the story, but don't cut the joke."

-_-'

BBS Signature
Thestickcreator
Thestickcreator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-09 05:36:34 Reply

At 8/7/10 10:29 AM, TheMaster wrote:
At 8/7/10 09:57 AM, Thestickcreator wrote: she also wrote "shindig" off firefly, which was great,( like all firefly episodes)
Shindig is probably my favourite episode, actually. That or Objects in Space.

Too similar to Smith. Need a change eventually or it'll get boring. If you can see an actor reasonably reading the lines of the current Doctor, he shouldn't be cast as the next Doctor.

loved "objects in space". however, im a sucker for "out of gas". it's just edited so well.

Thestickcreator
Doctor who crew
Cinema club

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-09 06:08:22 Reply

At 8/9/10 04:04 AM, Sticky wrote: Davies says "I sit there in the editing room saying 'Don't cut that joke! Cut the plot, cut the murder, cut the story, but don't cut the joke."

Never change, Rusty.

BBS Signature
TheAmateurAnimator
TheAmateurAnimator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-09 09:35:44 Reply

At 8/9/10 06:08 AM, TheMaster wrote:
At 8/9/10 04:04 AM, Sticky wrote: Davies says "I sit there in the editing room saying 'Don't cut that joke! Cut the plot, cut the murder, cut the story, but don't cut the joke."
Never change, Rusty.

I've never thought Davies was a good writer by any stretch of the imagination, but it wasn't until just now that I realize, "Wow. Really? This is the guy who resurrected one of the most venerable sci-fi franchises in history?"

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-09 09:44:55 Reply

At 8/9/10 09:35 AM, TheAmateurAnimator wrote: I've never thought Davies was a good writer by any stretch of the imagination, but it wasn't until just now that I realize, "Wow. Really? This is the guy who resurrected one of the most venerable sci-fi franchises in history?"

I wouldn't say resurrected was the right word. I can't see the show ever truly recovering from what he did to it. Moffat can make the best of what he's got, but by changing the fanbase it's going to be difficult to get back to what I'd consider proper Doctor Who.

BBS Signature
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-09 20:14:20 Reply

At 8/9/10 09:44 AM, TheMaster wrote: I wouldn't say resurrected was the right word. I can't see the show ever truly recovering from what he did to it. Moffat can make the best of what he's got, but by changing the fanbase it's going to be difficult to get back to what I'd consider proper Doctor Who.

It's never going to be the same as it was. Doctor who would never rate if it went back to the old format and style. As bad as Davies' writing was he did have some good ideas that allowed the show to move forward. The time war being the most obvious example. Obviously that didn't work out so well in later years when he actually wanted to use the daleks and time lords though :S You'd think he would have written in a resolution before he left bringing back both races but whatever. He definitely started the new series off well IMO.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew 2010-08-09 20:22:33 Reply

At 8/9/10 08:14 PM, Sticky wrote: It's never going to be the same as it was. Doctor who would never rate if it went back to the old format and style.

That's a given, but it's not just the format, it's the focus of the show that has completely changed. Doctor Who used to be about the stories, the characters were just there for them to be told through, but now it's very much a character focused drama, which works in something like Deadwood or Babylon 5 where you actually have strong, layered characters who develop as the show progresses, but Doctor Who doesn't have those. It has either shallow or horrifically cliche characters, nothing in between, and very little character development.

As bad as Davies' writing was he did have some good ideas that allowed the show to move forward. The time war being the most obvious example. Obviously that didn't work out so well in later years when he actually wanted to use the daleks and time lords though :S You'd think he would have written in a resolution before he left bringing back both races but whatever. He definitely started the new series off well IMO.

I didn't like the Time War. He only did it because he disliked the Time Lords. All it did was give him an excuse to have The Doctor bitch and moan about his dead race. Some of the best bits in the original show are when he gets one over on the Time Lords, like that magnificent scene at the end of the Five Doctors, getting rid of them was a stupid move.

BBS Signature