New Topic Respond to this Topic
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew Jun. 6th, 2010 @ 12:24 PM Reply

Went to that Doctor Who event. Met Colin Baker, Nicholas Courtney and Sophie Aldred, but didn't meet Terry Molloy since he was on stage giving interviews all the time I was there.

It was really good, Sophie Aldred in particular was really interesting when she gave her talk about her career and how she got into Doctor Who.

Had loads of other stuff on, like a Dalek Sec driving around, and a few props (TARDIS, Ice Warrior, K9, Earthshock Cyberman, new series Cyberman, classic black Dalek and that skin woman from the new series, from memory), and they even had a Dalek prop you could drive around, but that was just for kids.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
BlueFlameSkulls
BlueFlameSkulls
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew Jun. 6th, 2010 @ 12:36 PM Reply

At 6/6/10 12:24 PM, TheMaster wrote: Had loads of other stuff on, like a Dalek Sec driving around, and a few props (TARDIS, Ice Warrior, K9, Earthshock Cyberman, new series Cyberman, classic black Dalek and that skin woman from the new series, from memory), and they even had a Dalek prop you could drive around, but that was just for kids.

I went to a Doctor Who exhibition at the museum of science and industry in Manchester back a few years ago.

It was very short and almost a waste of money. I was expecting more since they usually do great exhibitions. There was a little microphone that would make you talk like a dalek though. I did go to a Doctor Who museum when I was about 10, that was fantastic. It was massive.

TheAmateurAnimator
TheAmateurAnimator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew Jun. 6th, 2010 @ 01:56 PM Reply

I liked the new episode! It felt like what we would have gotten with the Shakespeare, Dickens, and Christie episodes back in the RTD era had they been done right. The actor they got to play van Gogh was especially amazing--his reaction to seeing the response to his work in the present day was almost more of a tearjerker to me than all of RTD's melodramatic bullshit put together.

Next episode doesn't look particularly thrilling (to put it lightly), but I'll definitely watch it just to find out what it's about.

Wow, only three episodes left. But wait, what about all the stuff in the trailer that hasn't happened yet? Riding horses, Cybermen in a cave (or was it more of a tomb?), Stonehenge? Sounds like a lot to cram into one finale.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew Jun. 6th, 2010 @ 03:21 PM Reply

At 6/6/10 12:36 PM, BlueFlameSkulls wrote: I went to a Doctor Who exhibition at the museum of science and industry in Manchester back a few years ago.

There's another one on near me at the minute too, an extended thing, which looks like it's just a room full of new series props. This was a one day thing which I only went to to meet the actors and get my DVDs signed.

BBS Signature
Deleric
Deleric
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew Jun. 7th, 2010 @ 01:57 AM Reply

I didn't really like the Doctor in this episode. In fact, a running theme this series is that all the characters seem to show the Doctor up at one point or another, and I like that, but they don't have to make the Doctor so awkward and idiotic.

BBS Signature
MrDark01234
MrDark01234
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Writer
Response to Doctor Who Crew Jun. 7th, 2010 @ 02:33 AM Reply

I don't know, I think it was a pretty good episode. I can sort of see why the writer felt the monster was necessary, and I'm the kind of person that kind of ending's aimed at, if I may say such a thing.
It did deviate more than usual from regular Who, though. Not that it's a bad thing.

I'm afraid you'll have to speak up.

BBS Signature
Obvious-M
Obvious-M
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew Jun. 7th, 2010 @ 10:48 AM Reply

So I finished watching all 4 seasons of Eccleston and Tennant's Doctors, they were pretty good, seem pretty different to the latest series' episodes, must just be the different writers.

One episode that got me interested was the Doctor's Daughter, I want to know what happened to her, what she did ect. she was pretty good looking too. >:D

Gamertag- MarshallxDav | Steam ID- Eshneh | LastFM- MarshallNPK

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew Jun. 7th, 2010 @ 10:54 AM Reply

At 6/7/10 10:48 AM, Obvious-M wrote: One episode that got me interested was the Doctor's Daughter, I want to know what happened to her, what she did ect. she was pretty good looking too. >:D

It was Moffat's idea to revive her at the end, she was originally just going to die, which would suggest he plans to bring her back at some point.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew Jun. 7th, 2010 @ 01:44 PM Reply

http://www.bbc.co.uk/torchwood/torchwood _new_series/

New Torchwood confirmed. Co-produced with American company. Will feature locations in America and around the world.

Jack and Gwen return.

...written by Russell T Davies.

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Doctor Who Crew Jun. 7th, 2010 @ 01:56 PM Reply

damn i miss the episode last saturday dont worry Ill catch the next one.

Sweeper128
Sweeper128
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Doctor Who Crew Jun. 7th, 2010 @ 02:58 PM Reply

At 6/7/10 01:44 PM, TheMaster wrote: http://www.bbc.co.uk/torchwood/torchwood _new_series/

Yay!

New Torchwood confirmed. Co-produced with American company. Will feature locations in America and around the world.

Yay!

Jack and Gwen return.

Alright!

...written by Russell T Davies.

Stop the production now...

This is a Prime piece of real estate below.

BBS Signature
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew Jun. 7th, 2010 @ 11:12 PM Reply

At 6/7/10 01:44 PM, TheMaster wrote: New Torchwood confirmed. Co-produced with American company. Will feature locations in America and around the world.

So this is what has been holding up the next series of torchwood. Should be interesting to see what direction they take the show but it really doesn't sound that good at the moment. Sounds more like every episode is going to involve the world exploding with the finale having the universe explode.

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Doctor Who Crew Jun. 8th, 2010 @ 03:29 PM Reply

I hated Torchwood it was such a stupid series.

• Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew Jun. 9th, 2010 @ 07:48 PM Reply

lol! Has anyone seen 'the creature from the pit'? How hilarious are the monsters in it? I seriously thought they were gonna start dancing every time they showed up like in kids shows. I watched 'horns of the nimon' too. They were possibly worse. I mean were they on stilts? They seemed to be nearly falling over half the time lol

BBS Signature
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew Jun. 10th, 2010 @ 04:10 AM Reply

At 6/9/10 07:48 PM, Sticky wrote: lol! Has anyone seen 'the creature from the pit'?

oh shit not creature from the pit i meant 'nightmare of eden'. Creature from the pit was fairly funny also though. A giant green blob that crushes people to death yet is a totally civilized ambassador for another planet lol totally made sense.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew Jun. 10th, 2010 @ 07:45 AM Reply

A lot of late Tom Baker is pretty poor, especially compared with his early stuff.

Nimon are a strong contender for worst costumes in the show's history.

Also, I've decided to give the Big Finish stuff another go, and I'm glad I did. The Sirens of Time is way better than Hornet's Nest, simply because of the format. Sirens of Time is standard radio play stuff, where Hornet's Nest is Tom Baker in character as The Doctor explaining to Mike Yates (or was it Benton? I forget) this adventure he'd just been on, rather than having it actually happen during the play.

BBS Signature
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew Jun. 11th, 2010 @ 06:46 PM Reply

At 6/10/10 07:45 AM, TheMaster wrote: A lot of late Tom Baker is pretty poor, especially compared with his early stuff.

I'm starting to get that impression. Aside from douglas adams' and robert holmes' scripts I'm not totally impressed by tom baker's episodes. I'm not too fond of Romana either. She's a pretty dull character. Least the first Romana was somewhat interesting and actually acted like you would imagine a time lord to act. Romana II is just the same old boring female companion part all over again.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew Jun. 11th, 2010 @ 08:06 PM Reply

At 6/11/10 06:46 PM, Sticky wrote: I'm starting to get that impression. Aside from douglas adams' and robert holmes' scripts I'm not totally impressed by tom baker's episodes. I'm not too fond of Romana either. She's a pretty dull character. Least the first Romana was somewhat interesting and actually acted like you would imagine a time lord to act. Romana II is just the same old boring female companion part all over again.

I liked Romana II. She's not a favourite or anything, but she's hardly bad. Liked her better than the first Romana, at least.

BBS Signature
TheAmateurAnimator
TheAmateurAnimator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew Jun. 11th, 2010 @ 08:46 PM Reply

At 6/11/10 08:07 PM, Ultor wrote: I heard of this show

is it currently on any channels in the US

or is it a BBC exclusive

BBC America shows the episodes two weeks after they air in the UK. SyFy used to show Doctor Who, but would show them a longer time after they had originally aired. I don't know if they still do.

If you want to join the fun of watching the episodes as they air, you can find sites that stream the episodes live with a simple Google search.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

BBS Signature
Obvious-M
Obvious-M
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew Jun. 12th, 2010 @ 07:53 AM Reply

At 6/11/10 08:07 PM, Ultor wrote: I heard of this show

is it currently on any channels in the US

or is it a BBC exclusive

TheMaster showed me this site, you can watch every episode of Who on it and event the torchwood series, pretty good. Although I had some trouble with 2 or 3 episodes of series 2. :o

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew Jun. 12th, 2010 @ 06:28 PM Reply

The Doctor is in the Pandorica.

Anything else is a cop out, after all the stuff about a trickster god bathing in the blood of a thousand galaxies and such.

Whether he'll end up in there during the episode (The Doctor is gone by the second part of the finale and it's up to Amy to save the world), or if it contains The Valeyard or something similar, I'm not sure.

BBS Signature
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew Jun. 12th, 2010 @ 11:47 PM Reply

Did anyone else actually enjoy the lodger? I thought it was pretty funny I liked it. Good humor in the episode didn't ruin it and the enemy was more original than the usual monsters.

Can't wait for next week all those old enemies coming back is going to be insane.

BBS Signature
Deleric
Deleric
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew Jun. 13th, 2010 @ 03:50 AM Reply

Oh yeah, I loved seeing the Doctor trying to act in normal society, like in the Gogh episode where he's like "Is this how time usually moves....very slowly, and in the correct order...'

Also, I like when they bump heads, and Craig acts like he's just met his favorite comic book hero.

BBS Signature
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew Jun. 13th, 2010 @ 04:01 AM Reply

Oh that reminds me. Maybe it's because I just watched shada but did the way the doctor put his memories into craig's head in the lodger remind anyone else of how saliavan (however you spell it) was able to transfer his mind into other people's heads? Like how saliavan taught that girl all about advanced TARDIS science in shada.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew Jun. 13th, 2010 @ 07:03 AM Reply

At 6/13/10 04:01 AM, Sticky wrote: Oh that reminds me. Maybe it's because I just watched shada but did the way the doctor put his memories into craig's head in the lodger remind anyone else of how saliavan (however you spell it) was able to transfer his mind into other people's heads? Like how saliavan taught that girl all about advanced TARDIS science in shada.

The Doctor has always been able to do stuff like this. Did a similar thing in Girl in the Fireplace, and then you've got the multi-Doctor episodes where he'll share memories with himself and such.

BBS Signature
Centurion-Ryan
Centurion-Ryan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew Jun. 13th, 2010 @ 08:48 AM Reply

At 6/12/10 11:47 PM, Sticky wrote: Did anyone else actually enjoy the lodger? I thought it was pretty funny I liked it. Good humor in the episode didn't ruin it and the enemy was more original than the usual monsters.

I liked the episode, but I didn't like the monster.

It seemed like the plot took a backseat to the characterization, which isn't always a bad thing, but it was in this case.

It stretched my suspension of disbelief like mad as well.

James Corden with a girlfriend? Bullshit.

My PSN: Obilisk745
"Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets."
Add me on Steam! :D

BBS Signature
Obvious-M
Obvious-M
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew Jun. 13th, 2010 @ 10:38 AM Reply

Which episode did the Tennants Doctor meets Peter Davison's Doctor?

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew Jun. 13th, 2010 @ 11:00 AM Reply

At 6/13/10 10:38 AM, Obvious-M wrote: Which episode did the Tennants Doctor meets Peter Davison's Doctor?

Time Crash. It was just a Children in Need sketch thing.

BBS Signature
TheAmateurAnimator
TheAmateurAnimator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew Jun. 13th, 2010 @ 01:45 PM Reply

"The Lodger" was... surprisingly good. Not the best plot or characters (and not enough Amy! >:C), but Matt Smith's performance really made the episode worth watching (I can't imagine how horrible this episode would have been with Tennant as the Doctor). The farther we go into Series 5, the more I feel like Smith is the best Doctor since Tom Baker, especially when it comes to being both relatable in a human sense and yet at the same time incredibly alien. He makes the great episodes brilliant, the mediocre episodes good, and the abysmal episodes watchable!

Also, the Time Lord Mind-Meld fucking rules. Way better than the pussy Vulcan version. Or maybe it was just fun to see that guy who played Craig getting bashed in the head.

BBS Signature
Deleric
Deleric
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Doctor Who Crew Jun. 13th, 2010 @ 02:32 PM Reply

At 6/13/10 01:45 PM, TheAmateurAnimator wrote: "The Lodger" was... surprisingly good. Not the best plot or characters (and not enough Amy! >:C), but Matt Smith's performance really made the episode worth watching (I can't imagine how horrible this episode would have been with Tennant as the Doctor).

Out of the NewWho Doctors, I think Tennant is much more human. Eccleston had a bit of a problem with humans and Smith seems to understand people and at the same time not understand people.

I still find Tennant a great Doctor, but Smith being backed by Moffat, you can't help but enjoy it.

BBS Signature