00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kyzakay just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Your Changes For The Audio Portal!

22,341 Views | 341 Replies

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2007-04-06 13:07:01

At 3/22/07 04:12 PM, Envy wrote: I donno if this one has been suggested... I'm far to lazy to read 11 pages of this thread for one thing.

I agree and I am going to do the same thing.

The "0" voter problem is a big issue. Some users have already suggested that the only way you should be able to vote is to write a review about the song then be able to vote. In addiontion to that I think there should be a minimum requirment in the review field that should be filled out before being able to access the voting page. A filter would be nice in there as well. The filter should determine weather the review is an acutual sentence instead of a bunch of jibberish and symbols. Mabye adding in a question-aire wouldn't be bad either. A question-aire about the meat and potatoes of the song like the rythm, beat and some ofther things as well as a review.

Also, an auido front page would be swell. I know that this has also be suggested and I just wanted to say that this is a great idea. Instead of having just two songs that are somewhat hard to find on the front page there would be a link to a whole other page just for an auido front page.

Experience points should be awarded for voting on auido as well. Not only will this add insentive for people to vote on the auido page but this will also give some auido artist exposure that is needed.

Anyway, those are just a few thoughts that I have had on the subject. I like the auido page now but it could use a re-vamping.

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2007-04-06 13:09:51

At 4/6/07 01:07 PM, Zephyr-Stormwing wrote: Also, an auido front page would be swell. I know that this has also be suggested and I just wanted to say that this is a great idea. Instead of having just two songs that are somewhat hard to find on the front page there would be a link to a whole other page just for an auido front page.

omg

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2007-04-06 13:18:01

At 4/6/07 01:09 PM, SBB wrote:
At 4/6/07 01:07 PM, Zephyr-Stormwing wrote: Also, an auido front page would be swell. I know that this has also be suggested and I just wanted to say that this is a great idea. Instead of having just two songs that are somewhat hard to find on the front page there would be a link to a whole other page just for an auido front page.
omg

Sorry I was being a little to vauge on that :P I meant something that is like the flash front page.

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2007-04-06 17:24:19

I have to say a Song Title search and a edit option on your songs like comments and song title if your screw up and want to upload a different version. Like when you see one song title and then you see a mastered or fixed or anything like that.

NEED BEATS??? I GOT EM ELSEWHERE

I sell beats here Matt Mattik

BBS Signature

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2007-04-06 18:46:55

Changes for the AP

New Blam/protection for the AP to weed out the crap and filter the good.

Create the option to gain additional XP from voting on audio and merge it with current voting system.

New voting system Make it so audio must be listened to all the way through or downloaded to be voted on. At the bear minimum, make it so a song has to at least start playing to be voted on.

No more mass downloading - Simple system to track either IP's or usernames in order to rid of mass downloading.

Add whistle system for audio submissions.

New prizes including daily and monthly best. If a track wins a award, the award will appear in the track description. Also some kind of loop of the week or best flash song award to encourage use of the AP by flash artists. The track(s) that win this will appear on the AP.

No more ParagonX9 - Replace existing loops with loop of the week winners or song of the week, etc. This is a good way to show new, good songs to flash users, not show off the one artist that already stands out.

New Player with stop, play, pause. Just an Idea. Also song time display would be nice.

New genre listings - the AP is getting too big... 9,000 miscellaneous tracks tells people nothing about what music they will find. 11,000 techno provides little detail as well. This problem could also be slowly solved with an added blam/protection system.

-----------------------------

Thats all I got for now. I don't expect anyone to read it, but fuck it! Keep posting your ideas on this forum until some type of change occurs!

Which will be never!

I love the AP but quite frankly it sucks. Make this forum 200 pages if you have to, who cares if someone already said it, say it again.

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2007-04-06 18:55:35

At 4/6/07 06:46 PM, HybrisHybrid wrote: Changes for the AP

New Blam/protection for the AP to weed out the crap and filter the good.

First we need more voters and we need to get rid of zerobombs

Create the option to gain additional XP from voting on audio and merge it with current voting system.

YES

New voting system Make it so audio must be listened to all the way through or downloaded to be voted on. At the bear minimum, make it so a song has to at least start playing to be voted on.

YES-also make a higher voting powder if you have some "successful" audios yourself

No more mass downloading - Simple system to track either IP's or usernames in order to rid of mass downloading.

yes but what if someone lost the old download etc
eventually it could show who downloaded it or only go up by one per user who downloaded it

there is an X, also how can an audio be abusing

New prizes including daily and monthly best. If a track wins a award, the award will appear in the track description. Also some kind of loop of the week or best flash song award to encourage use of the AP by flash artists. The track(s) that win this will appear on the AP.

we need more listeners, visitors and artists to the AP first!

No more ParagonX9 - Replace existing loops with loop of the week winners or song of the week, etc. This is a good way to show new, good songs to flash users, not show off the one artist that already stands out.

yeah that's been dealt with

New Player with stop, play, pause. Just an Idea. Also song time display would be nice.

then we should really keep the looping there

New genre listings - the AP is getting too big... 9,000 miscellaneous tracks tells people nothing about what music they will find. 11,000 techno provides little detail as well. This problem could also be slowly solved with an added blam/protection system.

k

Thats all I got for now. I don't expect anyone to read it, but fuck it!

I did and I told you what I thought about it.

Also everyone, if you have an idea you REALLY think is great, post an additional note in this thread! An admin (liljim) checks it out regulary and deals with all the ideas that are suggested in that thread.

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2007-04-06 19:28:33

At 4/6/07 06:55 PM, SBB wrote:
At 4/6/07 06:46 PM, HybrisHybrid wrote: New Blam/protection for the AP to weed out the crap and filter the good.
First we need more voters and we need to get rid of zerobombs

Solved by the following idea. People voting to get XP won't want to zero bomb, they just want to give a fair vote asap and go to the next guy. There will still be zero bombs, but those who do that will have a low vote count due to lack of blam/protection points and with more people participating in the voting process, it would even out much more than it does. If a song got blammed, the user would be encouraged to mess with it some more or repost it and try again.

YES-also make a higher voting powder if you have some "successful" audios yourself

I like. Never mentioned batting average for audio, but its been said on this forum many times, definitely a good idea.

yes but what if someone lost the old download etc

If someone loses a song they downloaded before and redownload it, it shouldn't technically count as two in the first place. Its just like they downloaded it for the first time, it wouldn't make a big difference.

there is an X, also how can an audio be abusing

Music can be stolen, therefore a whistle is unecessary. Personally, I dont' hate black people so in my book, music about hating black people would be just a little bit abusive. Racism isn't a big problem in the AP but a whistle system wouldn't hurt. We AP guys would like some shiny whistles too, wouldn't we?

we need more listeners, visitors and artists to the AP first!

I don't care about flash but i vote on 5 everday for three simple reasons - XP points, blam points and XP points.

Really? I could swear I still hear the same Paragon tracks and I could swear I have to click that stupid icon every single time I go to the AP. Everyone on the AP minus about 3 people have said or at least thought this, but the problem still remains.

Thats all I got for now. I don't expect anyone to read it, but fuck it!
I did and I told you what I thought about it.

Cool! Thanks SSB you kick ass.

Also everyone, if you have an idea you REALLY think is great, post an additional note in this thread! An admin (liljim) checks it out regulary and deals with all the ideas that are suggested in that thread.

I find this hard to believe but thanks. However, I do agree with you - people keep posting your ideas!

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2007-04-06 19:30:20

At 4/6/07 07:28 PM, HybrisHybrid wrote: Cool! Thanks SSB you kick ass.

SBB

D'oh! My bad.....

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2007-04-06 19:38:39

At 4/6/07 07:30 PM, Chronamut wrote: as far as the paragon audio goes - I think they could have solved the problem a LOOONG time ago just by defaulting the audio setting in that flash banner to "off" - that way if you want to listen to it - THEN you click on it!

So true... Hell, I wouldn't care if they just put it in my account options.

Recieve NG Updates via Email? [ ]
Recieve daily portal top 5? [ ]
Automatically brainfuck you with ParagonX9 when you enter AP? [ ]

Such a small, simple problems shows how much the AP is neglected.

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2007-04-06 19:41:01

At 4/6/07 07:28 PM, HybrisHybrid wrote:

well, *being

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2007-04-08 13:06:46

Probably said 10485098437256834758149306 times, but new genres. Like Emo, Screamo, Hardcore, Grindcore.

No I'm not emo or anything, just music like that is underground, no one listens to it. That's all.

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2007-04-08 13:30:11

At 4/8/07 01:06 PM, kylexthexpostman wrote: Like Emo, Screamo, Hardcore, Grindcore.

Yeah - well - categorizing music will always be a pain in the ass - either there will be too few genre/styles or way too many... either way - all that will happen is that a whole new series of topics will spring up with people debating the miniscule differences between very similar subgenres... Then we can argue about stupid things like the bpm or a backbeat which would make it more "_x_x_" than "_y_y_"...

People still won't properly categorize their music - maybe to them but not to you, and the stuff you call one thing will be called something else by others - so the addition of a ton of subgenres wouldn't really solve any problems.

I like the idea of treating the AP the same way the FP is handled - under judgement - blam/protect - awarded XP - batting averages - the addtion of audio artists to the favorites lists - AP buddies for collabs - stat lists (weekly top/underdog/turd/etc.)

I also think that users should have more control over their submissions - allow a user to update or change their music just like the Flash submissions - or even choose to remove their own stuff without needing to contact an admin.

all of that is great - all of that is fine - but the addition of a bunch of new genres will only lead to bitching by people that didn't get their preferences added... and more bitching by pretentious sub-sub-genre know-it-alls...

Listen closely, can you hear them yet?

"How come they added IDM but not "Screamo"? that's so unfair! Now I'll go whine about it!"

" "Well, technically this isn't really trance... you can tell by the blah blah blah - this really belongs more in the xxxx genre..."

- "No, you're wrong noob! it isn't xxxxx because they used a sawtooth pad so it's actually more like yyyyy"
"Both of you are wrong - I'm the end-all be-all authority because I can read what it says in Ishkur's and it's actually zzzzz!"
"Yes, but wikipedia says bleh bleh blehblelblblblblbeleh so it should be .............."
ad infinitum - ad nauseum

BBS Signature

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2007-04-08 16:05:09

At 4/8/07 01:06 PM, kylexthexpostman wrote: new genres. Like Emo, Screamo, Hardcore, Grindcore.

no one listens to it. That's all.

Personally, it should stay that way....

Ive been here for around four years and I still know nothing about the top 5, seems to me that it is either completely random or dominated by the same person( ie: Arnas grabbing all top 5 spots last week)
I havent read this thread yet, so its probably been discussed,

But methinks that the top 5 should be based on a cumulative point total from reviews, downloads, submission use and rating. It shouls span across all the genres and should be moderated by a pannel of judges.

Like there should be a list of the top 20 submissions up in the forums every week before update and then all the users can vote on their favorites.
But that sounds way too intensive doesnt it? I guess its good as it is for now.

(Im just sad cuz i havent been up there for quite some time)

*crys himself to sleep

Developer by day; Deviant by night

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2007-04-08 16:07:10

IDM category so our music doesn't go down to the MIscellaneous Abyss.

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2007-04-12 14:20:35

is it even possible to make it so that when you download a song and open it in iTunes (or Winamp/Windows Media Player etc- I don't have a lot of experience with them), it shows the genre of the song? DAT WUD BE KEWL

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2007-04-12 14:21:20

At 4/12/07 02:20 PM, SBB wrote: is it even possible to make it so that when you download a song and open it in iTunes (or Winamp/Windows Media Player etc- I don't have a lot of experience with them), it shows the genre of the song? DAT WUD BE KEWL

How about the notes written for the song in the notes section??

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2007-04-12 14:28:38

At 4/12/07 02:21 PM, navij11 wrote:
At 4/12/07 02:20 PM, SBB wrote: is it even possible to make it so that when you download a song and open it in iTunes (or Winamp/Windows Media Player etc- I don't have a lot of experience with them), it shows the genre of the song? DAT WUD BE KEWL
How about the notes written for the song in the notes section??

most electronica songs can't even be halfway reconstructed by just knowing the notes... many synths have lfo's, built-in rhytms etc

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2007-04-12 14:35:35

At 4/12/07 02:28 PM, SBB wrote: most electronica songs can't even be halfway reconstructed by just knowing the notes... many synths have lfo's, built-in rhytms etc

No, I mean the notes that people wrote, like the text under the songs, not the musical notes!

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2007-04-12 14:41:05

At 4/12/07 02:35 PM, navij11 wrote:
At 4/12/07 02:28 PM, SBB wrote: most electronica songs can't even be halfway reconstructed by just knowing the notes... many synths have lfo's, built-in rhytms etc
No, I mean the notes that people wrote, like the text under the songs, not the musical notes!

roffel totally pwnt my ass

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2007-04-12 15:23:04

i think that we should be ablt to put the songs in the order we want so we can put our best ones at the top!

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2007-04-15 11:45:45

i didnt feel like reading all 11 pages of this chat, so these ideas might have already been said:

-A 'most downloads' section for top downloaded songs

-a user can only download his own music, like i dunno, 3 times? and another user can only download it like 5. this would prevent self-downloading or 'framing people to make it look like they self download'.

-get expireience, BP, and whistle points in the Audio section too (that one i know was already said but i wanted to put stress on it ) and getting exp from reviewing is a great idea.

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2007-04-15 12:22:51

At 4/15/07 11:45 AM, BMC-Audio wrote: i didnt feel like reading all 11 pages of this chat, so these ideas might have already been said:

Why? So the already overrated songs can get even more attention?

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2007-04-15 12:25:22

At 4/15/07 12:22 PM, SBB wrote:
At 4/15/07 11:45 AM, BMC-Audio wrote: i didnt feel like reading all 11 pages of this chat, so these ideas might have already been said:

Why? So the already overrated songs can get even more attention?

YES! good point...

perhaps a Most downloads for the week thing.... Where it shows the song that got the most dls in a week or something... Although i can already see how corrupted that could get.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2007-04-16 16:24:00

At 4/15/07 11:45 AM, BMC-Audio wrote: -a user can only download his own music, like i dunno, 3 times? and another user can only download it like 5. this would prevent self-downloading or 'framing people to make it look like they self download'.

Wait what about no and instead make it so a download doesn't count in the download counter if a user downloaded it more than once

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2007-04-16 16:58:45

At 4/16/07 04:24 PM, SBB wrote:
At 4/15/07 11:45 AM, BMC-Audio wrote:

Wait what about no and instead make it so a download doesn't count in the download counter if a user downloaded it more than once

Well said! That'd be perfect

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2007-04-22 08:32:54

Hate-rating (this is in another topic of mine as well):

People give me 0s without reason. Why not force people to listen to an entire song before contributing to its score (whether via rating or reviewing)?

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2007-04-22 11:41:31

i agree with rucklo. but what if the AP was made more like the FP? have some of the same features as the FP just with a little more kick? have the ability to blow the whistle on music we may believe is stolen? be able to add musicians to a new favorites list? a lot of questions could be asked and possibly a whole new newgrounds could be launched :|

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2007-04-22 12:01:09

If we're revamping the AP and making it more like the FP, one has to ask the question: Why was it made? So that musicians could donate their loops to Flash authors.

If we're making it more like the FP, it'd still entail the "FP authors can use your music for free" clause but the music doesn't necessarily have to be useful for flash. More like an auditory version of the Flash portal.

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2007-04-22 19:30:13

Bump

(Hopefully this stimulates negative reactions, thus generating more posts and activity! Maybe someone will answer my question!)

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2007-04-23 09:52:45

In my opinion, at least the rating system. One 5-rating and the song hits the first place. It would be nice if audio could be 'blammed' like a flash.
A song's rating can change too much with just 1 vote.
I think it would be best that a song needs at least 5~10 votes before it can have a rating.
And disallow users voting on their own songs.
It's worse enough that a song can hit first place with only 1 rating, it's even worse when a user does that for himself.

... I think people have noticed this more times, but okay.

I'm one of the people who doesn't have text in his signature.