Remisser
Remisser
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 15th, 2003 @ 12:30 PM Reply

Ideas for additions to the audio portal
1. Ability to view which newgrounds movies a song in the portal is used in. This is so the artists knows that their material is being used and which songs are being used the most.
2. Points for use. Everytime the song gets used, they get experience points.
3. Artist of the week. Have an artist of the week so certain artists can get exposure for their music.

I have more ideas, as these are the tip of the iceberg and some of them have probably already been touched upon, I just can't read everyone's posts. :)

E-Nizzle
E-Nizzle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 15th, 2003 @ 03:20 PM Reply

FUCK YEAH! >:)

E-Nizzle
E-Nizzle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 15th, 2003 @ 03:29 PM Reply

Damn! I wish u could preview them b4 downloading.

SPG-1
SPG-1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 15th, 2003 @ 08:17 PM Reply

Ok, a few things.

1. The voting once per day thing isn't working. I can't vote again on a clip that i voted on when this section was made.

2. Who do i contact if i need an audio clip removed?

3. This was definitely a good idea.

Remisser
Remisser
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 15th, 2003 @ 09:16 PM Reply

At 2/15/03 03:29 PM, odd_boy23 wrote: Damn! I wish u could preview them b4 downloading.

I don't see why that would be wholly neccesary. If everything is 500k and under, it's not like it's a huge task just to download one at a time.

Clearly, though, there should be some sort of top 10 songs on the portal and such. So people know what's some of the best content to snatch.

Sir-Davey
Sir-Davey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 15th, 2003 @ 11:10 PM Reply

Really cool but man, you really need to add a search engine for those sounds cuz when it'll get crowded there, how are we gonna find the sounds?

BBS Signature
nothere
nothere
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 15th, 2003 @ 11:16 PM Reply

This is an excellent idea as attested to by the large number of intelligent responses. Fostering collaborative relationships between animators and musicians will raise the overall quality of NG movies, not unlike a production company pulling together diverse talents to make a film.
NG now features collaborative initiatives for animators and artists and animators and musicians. Next step, animators and writers.

NG Audio! Go! Go!

Chu-chu
Chu-chu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 16th, 2003 @ 04:43 AM Reply

Hey! i got 5 points for my loop! :))))

Tom could u add a review thingy on these audíothings too? I would like to know what people think about my loops. Is that possible?!

NG Audio! Go! Go!

TomokoSasaki
TomokoSasaki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 16th, 2003 @ 08:38 AM Reply

Ehh, the audio portal is starting to suck. i've found like, 20 sounds of just kids saying "OH MY GOD U KILLED MHANHA AH <MFFF FHSWAA HAHAHAHAH...."

cmon guys, i mean, seriously... not only was it a stupid thing to say. You couldn't understand him, and the quality was crap, and i know no one i know is gonna use it in a flash movie.

Praxis
Praxis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 16th, 2003 @ 10:05 AM Reply

Fantastic idea Tom. I'd certainly be interesting in what the muscial talent NG has to offer any Flash productions I can design.

Katanaman
Katanaman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 16th, 2003 @ 11:43 AM Reply

At 2/16/03 08:38 AM, TomokoSasaki wrote: Ehh, the audio portal is starting to suck. i've found like, 20 sounds of just kids saying "OH MY GOD U KILLED MHANHA AH <MFFF FHSWAA HAHAHAHAH...."

cmon guys, i mean, seriously... not only was it a stupid thing to say. You couldn't understand him, and the quality was crap, and i know no one i know is gonna use it in a flash movie.

Maybe it has already happened with the music too. The type of crappy drumloops I mentioned are everywhere, and, along with that crappy audio you're talking about, will flood the audio portal. Quality entries will be difficult to find so a top10 or top50 or whatever would be really, really useful.

Snapu
Snapu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 16th, 2003 @ 12:19 PM Reply

Wahoo! Finnaly the audio portal! So cool!

SPG-1
SPG-1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 16th, 2003 @ 01:25 PM Reply

To get a good top 50, people would need to start voting on them. I only have 2 votes for each of my songs. (one of which some jackass voted 0 on all of them.) so... yeah. There's some good stuff in there.

Remisser
Remisser
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 16th, 2003 @ 01:33 PM Reply

At 2/16/03 11:43 AM, Katanaman wrote:
At 2/16/03 08:38 AM, TomokoSasaki wrote: Ehh, the audio portal is starting to suck. i've found like, 20 sounds of just kids saying "OH MY GOD U KILLED MHANHA AH <MFFF FHSWAA HAHAHAHAH...."

Maybe it has already happened with the music too. The type of crappy drumloops I mentioned are everywhere, and, along with that crappy audio you're talking about, will flood the audio portal. Quality entries will be difficult to find so a top10 or top50 or whatever would be really, really useful.

I wholeheartedly agree with that idea (I mentioned the idea before in a post.) Though I think there should be a rule, if you don't generally like the type of music you're listening to, don't listen to that type of music and rate it 0. :)

I think a top 10 in each category will probably crop up sooner or later. And an overall top50 will be cool as well.

I've never been a good flash animator, so I figured, well... this will be the next best thing... I've wanted to offer my services as a musician to the folks of newgrounds for a long time now, but didn't want to just randomly start emailing flash authors with "Hey! Hey! Need music? How bout some music?"

I think Tom should also create a sort of musicians profile... Set up something like:

Musician and/or Band Name:
Flash Movies with artists songs: [drop down menu]
Highest Rated Song:

etc. etc. And perhaps a question like: are you available to make songs specifically for certain cartoons? And things like that.

Just ideas... maybe tom will respond to them soon. :)

liljim
liljim
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 16th, 2003 @ 06:16 PM Reply

At 2/16/03 05:40 PM, Susil wrote: I have been having problems with my computer lately that doesn't allow me to vote anymore.

That's already the way things are done. You must make sure that cookies are enabled on your Internet browser for things to work correctly for you.

By the way, you didn't have to post this to three different news posts to make us pay attention to you. Once would have been enough!

Remisser
Remisser
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 16th, 2003 @ 07:28 PM Reply

Argh.

I ran into a problem with the Audio Portal today. I uploaded a song to Electronic - Industrial titled 'Defector', and, while it appeared on the last 30 uploaded list, if you clicked on it, you would be sent to my artist page, instead of to the song. Then, I checked in the electronic - industrial section itself... it said "listing 1-12 of 12 songs", but there were only 11 songs listed, and defector was not one of them. I tried uploading it again, but it said I had hit my six song per day limit already, counting that one erroneous upload against me. The sound effect that was uploaded before my song by someone also did not exist, so perhaps they somehow screwed up the whole process?

liljim
liljim
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 16th, 2003 @ 07:34 PM Reply

At 2/16/03 07:28 PM, Remisser wrote: Argh.

I ran into a problem with the Audio Portal today. I uploaded a song to Electronic - Industrial titled 'Defector', and, while it appeared on the last 30 uploaded list, if you clicked on it, you would be sent to my artist page, instead of to the song. Then, I checked in the electronic - industrial section itself... it said "listing 1-12 of 12 songs", but there were only 11 songs listed, and defector was not one of them. I tried uploading it again, but it said I had hit my six song per day limit already, counting that one erroneous upload against me. The sound effect that was uploaded before my song by someone also did not exist, so perhaps they somehow screwed up the whole process?

Thanks for the extensive report. Please do NOT attempt to upload the file(s) again - chances are there was some sort of corruption with one of the database tables at the time of upload and I'll be able to fix the entries that were throwing the errors tomorrow morning.

BooDestroyer
BooDestroyer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 16th, 2003 @ 09:07 PM Reply

So it has to be music you made all by yourself? As long as it loops, that is...

BTW, how else can I contact liljim?

Evil1666
Evil1666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 16th, 2003 @ 09:16 PM Reply

This is an awesome idea, i hope it works out really well for newgrounds.

monkeyinmypants2003
monkeyinmypants2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 16th, 2003 @ 09:38 PM Reply

i think that this is a great thing and it really helps us flash animators out a lot. thanx to newgrounds.

Remisser
Remisser
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 16th, 2003 @ 09:50 PM Reply

At 2/16/03 09:07 PM, Boo_Destroyer wrote: So it has to be music you made all by yourself? As long as it loops, that is...

Yes. It goes without saying that if you did not make what you want to upload, don't upload it. If it's clips from a movie or things like that, you didn't make it, don't upload it.

I noticed some people just renaming loops that are packaged with the program fruityloops... those are copywritten too.

rawkbaby
rawkbaby
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 16th, 2003 @ 11:45 PM Reply

Pretty rad, I was actually going to add loops to my website eventually, so if I ever get to cooking some stuff up I'll slap em up here too.

I think this is a great idea. I do agree that it might be nice to have a preview option because downloading to have a listen and select audio for a flash could get rather extensive. Don't mean to sound like an ungrateful brat but I probably do anyway. Ah well.

Good work, fellas.

Remisser
Remisser
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 17th, 2003 @ 01:11 AM Reply

Uh Oh
I've been diligently trying to find any bugs or kinks in this whole audio system, here's a pretty big one (in my standards)...

When you download audio, it comes in a handy zip file with a message like this:
------------
"Zylum", by Remisser

Uploaded on 02/16/03 at 14:22 PM.
Reference id # 485
Description: An small electronic assault with distorted guitars. Made to loop.
Latest documentation: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/view.php?id=485
------------

Here's the problem. Go ahead and follow that link. It doesn't go to my profile or to any of my songs. It's this way for EVERYTHING that's been uploaded so far.

It's a good thing this error was pointed out in advance because it'd take a long time to back track and fix.

As well, there are now a lot of thefted songs on there...
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/view.php?id=454760&sub=514
cannibal corpse
korn
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/view.php?id=350989&sub=314
NoFX
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/view.php?id=183858&sub=130
billy joel

and much much more! :)

liljim
liljim
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 17th, 2003 @ 05:48 AM Reply

At 2/17/03 01:11 AM, Remisser wrote: Uh Oh... <snip>

Thanks for the heads up - I've fixed that mistake. As for the pirated content - don't worry about it too much. We'll be clearing house on it later on today and during the week. I'll also fix a flag system up in the next few days that will enable you guys to notify us easily about stuff like this.

AukeSam
AukeSam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 17th, 2003 @ 01:29 PM Reply

Why can you only submit your own work?
if you are looking for one particular track, you can't find it there, because it must be of your own if you submit something.
Maybe it can be fixed in such a way that you also can upload things that aren't made by you.
I know you CAN, but the rules say you can't.

Remisser
Remisser
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 17th, 2003 @ 01:34 PM Reply

Another thought, and thank you for responding so swiftly, is:
When people choose to 'download all' and by that I mean - Audio clips by Remisser [DOWNLOAD ALL]

A friend of mine told me that it does not add a +1 to the amount of downloads for each song.

So is this true? Even if it's not, can we also perhaps see, as a whole, how many people choose to "download all"? I think it would be cool for the fact that we'd be able to see how many people are interested enough in a particular artist that they download an entire package.

NG Audio! Go! Go!

liljim
liljim
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 17th, 2003 @ 04:11 PM Reply

At 2/17/03 01:34 PM, Remisser wrote:
A friend of mine told me that it does not add a +1 to the amount of downloads for each song.

Then your friend is mistaken - when you select "download all", all of the tracks that are downloaded are credited with an extra view. :)

ZeroOmega
ZeroOmega
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 17th, 2003 @ 05:41 PM Reply

wooooooooooosh

8-LeGiOn-8
8-LeGiOn-8
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 17th, 2003 @ 07:27 PM Reply

COOL. thats a great idea i might try and post some songs now!

NG Audio! Go! Go!