Respond to this Topic
ryu12
ryu12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 14th, 2003 @ 02:42 AM Reply

At 2/13/03 09:27 AM, TomFulp wrote: We would like to announce a revolutionary new addition to Newgrounds. Ladies and gentlemen, enter the AUDIO PORTAL!

Fianly we are getting music back to NG!!!

NG Audio! Go! Go!

ryu12
ryu12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 14th, 2003 @ 02:57 AM Reply

This might be wierd asking, but are we going to be able to vote in the audio portal, like the flash portal? Please don't make so we can blam and protect the audio submissions.

NG Audio! Go! Go!

WoIf
WoIf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 14th, 2003 @ 03:06 AM Reply

this is new, i hope that this becomes big on ng.

rXvox
rXvox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 14th, 2003 @ 03:29 AM Reply

At 2/13/03 05:34 PM, DingleberryClock wrote: Grrf, I want to upload my whole songs, I'm the best musician NG has ever seen, next to Shok. I'd so own that audio portal.

My Industrial tracks would blow anything u could make away ^_^

haha just playin around

rXvox
rXvox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 14th, 2003 @ 04:21 AM Reply

You know whats funny too, You announced this the day after I formatted my drive and I lost like 50 REALLY REALLY good loops I never intended on using... WAY TO HEADS UP THERE TOM... ass =)

creamyspy69
creamyspy69
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 14th, 2003 @ 04:36 AM Reply

Off the topic- what the hell is up with the site being maintained EVERY freakin' night?! I typically get home from work late, go out on the town and come back late. I just want to log on for 15-30 minutes, watch some new stuff and get my points. I can't do this because the only window of opportunity I have to check out NG, you guys have it shut down! I'm assuming this isn't going to last forever. When can we expect for NG to be back to normal?

Thanks,
creamyspy69

karr420
karr420
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 14th, 2003 @ 04:45 AM Reply

Im very happy to hear about this. it juat made my flash experience alot easier. I have a suggestion that will make audio easier to obtain for flash. make a sound fx portal. and categorize em like u did the music portal. Im sure alot of people have made theyre own sound fx and a section like this would greatly help.

In the music category is theyre any way to listen to a sample right off the page before downloading it. what if a song contains a virus and we download it? can u fix that or is there something that automatically scans throough the mp3's and deletes the infected ones. my biggest concern is a sample on the page to listen to it b4 downloading it.

keep up the good work tom and wade

NG Audio! Go! Go!

karr420
karr420
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 14th, 2003 @ 04:50 AM Reply

oops never mind I just noticed a sound fx section. pphhhhttt! :P

NG Audio! Go! Go!

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 14th, 2003 @ 06:39 AM Reply

At 2/14/03 04:36 AM, creamyspy69 wrote:

I can't do this because the only window of opportunity I have to check out NG, you guys have it shut down! I'm assuming this isn't going to last forever. When can we expect for NG to be back to normal?

That sucks... We need to run the nightly maintenance because NG has become so data-heavy that corruption issues become a problem. During the early hours of the morning, the system needs to clean house. It will probably stay this way.

-Tom

Blue-Clock
Blue-Clock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 14th, 2003 @ 07:28 AM Reply

Hey Fulps... great idea.... This most definately has great potential... an alternative to flashkit.com for badly arranged poorly made sound effects...

But... it's got me thinking...
How about an fla archive as well... one where you can upload FLAs of items, objects, etc... you could put a very tight limit on the file size, and it would be very usefull for people like me, who have virtually no original artwork, but can animate well...

Asinine-Cloak
Asinine-Cloak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 14th, 2003 @ 08:38 AM Reply

This is a great idea.

a great, great idea.

Tom is a genius and I want to have his children!

MetaphorcE
MetaphorcE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 14th, 2003 @ 08:43 AM Reply

are you guys gonna add a sound forum to the bbs? now that there is an audio portal, there are several sound related questions I'd like to ask, but the flash forum seems slightly inappropriate.
...and if you're gonna add new forums, perhaps a collaboration forum would be a good idea for when you get the multi-author system up and running...

PineappleClock
PineappleClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 14th, 2003 @ 09:27 AM Reply

At 2/14/03 07:28 AM, Blue_Clock wrote: Hey Fulps... great idea.... This most definately has great potential... an alternative to flashkit.com for badly arranged poorly made sound effects...

But... it's got me thinking...
How about an fla archive as well... one where you can upload FLAs of items, objects, etc... you could put a very tight limit on the file size, and it would be very usefull for people like me, who have virtually no original artwork, but can animate well...

I agree, a FLA object archive would be great... and what about a shockwave portal in the future? Shockwave
is light years ahead of flash for making video games and immersive clock movies

Katanaman
Katanaman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 14th, 2003 @ 10:35 AM Reply

At 2/14/03 09:27 AM, PineappleClock wrote: I agree, a FLA object archive would be great... and what about a shockwave portal in the future? Shockwave

I doubt it would happen. Newgrounds is known as a Flash website. Tom Fulp likes Flash. I love Flash too. I actually hate shockwave. It's really good to make games but these games, not only do they take longer to make and are usually made by teams, they also don't have the charm you see in Flash games. It might happen some time but I really really doubt it.

TomokoSasaki
TomokoSasaki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 14th, 2003 @ 12:25 PM Reply

That sucks... We need to run the nightly maintenance because NG has become so data-heavy that corruption issues become a problem. During the early hours of the morning, the system needs to clean house. It will probably stay this way.

-Tom

Lol. When i wake up here in england, it's always down for meintenence. It's convenient for americans who are sleeping at this time, but the rest of the world is in pain cos NG is down :) lol

DarkViper
DarkViper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 14th, 2003 @ 12:29 PM Reply

i dont know, maybe its just me, but i click on "Sign In" and i sign in normally. but when i vote on something or even go to the view page, it says im not logged in. when i vote, all my power is gone, wtf happened here?
i was able to deposit thansk to the benefit of the doubt system here. now it says im logged in. but i think theres a chunk of code screwed up with the view system or somnething.

Keyser-Soze
Keyser-Soze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 14th, 2003 @ 01:59 PM Reply

At 2/14/03 12:25 PM, TomokoSasaki wrote:

-Tom
Lol. When i wake up here in england, it's always down for meintenence. It's convenient for americans who are sleeping at this time, but the rest of the world is in pain cos NG is down :) lol

No wonder the Middle East is in such turmoil! When it's in the afternoon over there they can't visit Newgrounds! Tom, this site's maintenence may responsible for thousands of years of war and hatred!

(Though probably not.)

NG Audio! Go! Go!

big-s-snc
big-s-snc
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 14th, 2003 @ 03:40 PM Reply

that's an amazing idea!
i just started my own band and as soon as we have a demo ready it'll be available :D
(although i am afraid of the size :S)

Jersey-Joe
Jersey-Joe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 14th, 2003 @ 05:47 PM Reply

That's neat. I'll have less trouble getting sounds for a flash movie I MIGHT think about making. But in the mean time, older problems MUST be taken into account. It is, and has been for a while, a fact that the server this site is based on, is quite crappy. You cannot comprehend the frustration that I must endure when I can't watch my favorite flash movies. It's as if I am limited to the amount of KB that I can temporarily download on this site. The bigger the amount of KB on a movie, the fewer the amount of other works of flash animation's finest authors I can view.

Dont get me wrong. I love this site, and I love the animators (and some of their works) that are most renowned on this site. But this server is too slow, and the more movies I watch on this site in a day, the slower this site suddenly becomes; and this problem goes way beyond the incompitence of my ISP (I'm using cable, just so you know, so you can narrow down any suggestions).

I beg of you, Mr. Fulp: upgrade this server, so Newgrounds can be less frustrating!

sawtooth
sawtooth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 14th, 2003 @ 06:17 PM Reply

I think this is a great idea. I've already submitted 3 loops. You should make it possible so that when someone uses your loop, you get notification, so you can check out their stuff with your sounds. So we know who's using our stuff and when.

Steve84
Steve84
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Gamer
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 14th, 2003 @ 07:47 PM Reply

Tom usally when I get home from school the error happens alot I like the audio feature to bad when I had flash on my old comp I sucked at it

Necromancer86
Necromancer86
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 14th, 2003 @ 10:14 PM Reply

I like the addition, only there's two things I feel a need to bring up.

1) You are missing a few very common genres, such as Emo
2) It doesn't seem to be picking up a lot of speed. Put some gimics in to kick it in the butt a bit. It looks fairly dull, first off, so try making it look as flashy as the flash portal. Simple things like adding an "audio submitted by so-and-so" and "so-and-so's favorite audio artists" in the profiles would certainly appeal to people.

Hope that helps you guys!

Buck-Uncle
Buck-Uncle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 14th, 2003 @ 10:28 PM Reply

At 2/13/03 07:32 PM, Superabound wrote: 400k isnt big enough for anything other than sound effects.

What are people supposed to do for songs?

Loops

Buck-Uncle
Buck-Uncle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 14th, 2003 @ 10:31 PM Reply

At 2/14/03 10:35 AM, Katanaman wrote:
At 2/14/03 09:27 AM, PineappleClock wrote: I agree, a FLA object archive would be great... and what about a shockwave portal in the future? Shockwave
I doubt it would happen. Newgrounds is known as a Flash website. Tom Fulp likes Flash. I love Flash too. I actually hate shockwave. It's really good to make games but these games, not only do they take longer to make and are usually made by teams, they also don't have the charm you see in Flash games. It might happen some time but I really really doubt it.

No Way, Shockwave can contain Flash and movies and everything you could want, suports like directx or some shit and its amazing, the Lingo is unstaoppable, I think the 2 grand pricetag is the issue mainly, but it is so far ahead of flash for sure man. some of the full 3d racing games ive played are just mind blowing, importing from studio max and maya,.... intense to say the least!

Buck-Uncle
Buck-Uncle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 14th, 2003 @ 10:33 PM Reply

At 2/14/03 12:29 PM, DarkViper wrote: i dont know, maybe its just me, but i click on "Sign In" and i sign in normally. but when i vote on something or even go to the view page, it says im not logged in. when i vote, all my power is gone, wtf happened here?

check your browser chache and cookie and security settings,

EarthCrisis
EarthCrisis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 14th, 2003 @ 10:37 PM Reply

At 2/13/03 10:01 AM, Kaymon wrote: Did someone just say DragonballZ? That's not a show, it's a handful of animated characters that spend 90% of their time "powering up" for a battle that lasts 1 minute.

Actually the Cell, and Bu battles lasted about 30 over a 10 episode span. Most DBZ battles last less than 5 minutes though. You are pretty much right though.

Demonfluf
Demonfluf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 14th, 2003 @ 11:06 PM Reply

Woo, good job Tom! I'm submitting a bunch of loops as I post this :). Although I am running into an issue with the file size? Can you PLEASE boost the filesize to 750? Or have the file size relate to how long it is.

3 second loops get 5kb
30 second loops get 500 kb
and minute loops get a meg.

It's kind of hard, if not impossible to have a minute loop/song under 500 kb, without dragging down the quality and making it sound like ass.

But that's just me heh, any ways. Good idea.

skyline-gtr-racer
skyline-gtr-racer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 14th, 2003 @ 11:52 PM Reply

If onli me and my band had proffessional recording the audioportal would be mine!!!! but we dont and the size limit is 400:( o well cool idea but there is still websites liek www.sounddogs.com and flash kti and stuff

dicktape
dicktape
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 15th, 2003 @ 08:29 AM Reply

keep up the good work Tom!

antoniwan
antoniwan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! Feb. 15th, 2003 @ 08:41 AM Reply

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!! YEAHH!! this is freking awesome!... you'll be hearing from me soon! :D