New Topic Respond to this Topic
Rory
Rory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Newground's Department of defense. Oct. 18th, 2010 @ 06:25 AM Reply

At 10/17/10 02:05 PM, DarkSoldier wrote: Let's address a few of the concerns regarding merchandise.

First off, the NGDD isn't about earning merchandise. So if you joined the NGDD for that matter, you'll probably be disappointed. The NGDD is about serving Newgrounds.com to make it a better and funner place.

Oh no, I joined very much to make NG a better place, trust me, I'm just worried about people actually joining to get merchandise, although I hope that the selective application procedure will help with this, I really do.

Earning merchandise is a nice thank you for helping protecting Newgrounds. There are people that may join just for the merchandise but that isn't as bad as seems. The reason is because they will be protecting Newgrounds and the more people that help protect Newgrounds, the better. They will also find that with the current system, every LD Point they earn will be well-earned.

Right, well then I detract my previous statement, I agree that the more the merrier, and as long as we really have to work for our points, then I am very much on board with many people joining, It'll increase the community spirit, and maybe add a nice touch to the competitions.

As I stated previously with LD Points running as a currency, being able to buy merchandise won't be something that happens very often. Mainly because we don't have the funding for it and so it makes it difficult for us to keep purchasing merchandise.

Fair enough, I plan to donate occasionally, hopefully I'll get a job soon, which will very much help, so I guess this sytem will probably deter some people joining solely for points, as well as keep those joining for poitns in check

If Tom is able to help us out a bit with the funding, that would be very much appreciated. I don't think people will be able to abuse the system, it's not like the items will *always* be available, it's only when we have the funding to be able to purchase them. And I think most people will save their points to purchase the big prizes like a NG Shirt or Calender. Remember, if you have 2500 LD Points and you spend them, well then you're back at 0 LD Points.

Well fair enough, I do hope that Tom can help us out, and yeah, It will take a while to get stickers, and of course you want a better prize, I would imagine that to get a calender we would have to wait until the 2011 calender is released.

Each Department having their own prizes isn't a bad idea but it is a bit unfair because some Departments don't have as many members as other Departments. So if two people are in the Art Department, well then we know one of those two people will be the ones earning the prize for the Art Dept. Also, splitting the money we have for merchandise between all the 7 Departments (including the Literature Dept.) sounds great but then the only prize that can be earned will most likely be stickers because it won't be easy to split the money we have 7 ways.

I guess this could be helped by speading the points around based on membership of the various departments, i.e. if we have 10 members in totaln and 1000 points, and 2 of the members are in the art department, then the art receivesdepartment receives 200 points.

Hope that clears some things up. ;-)

Very much so, I think there was a bit of confusion between us both.

- John

-Rory

Dean: Rorys parents didn't give him dancing lessons. That much is obvious.
There are many things I regret, one of them Is asking the above buckfast swilling prick for a sig.

BBS Signature
Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to Newground's Department of defense. Oct. 19th, 2010 @ 09:28 PM Reply

Thanks for the congratulations. I would have set up a little award watch tonight, but I had quite a bit of school work to do. I'll have quite a bit this and next week in general, but I'll try and set one up anyway.

I think the members of the flash and/or portal departments should check out this competition crew. The idea of the crew is to post a game with a scoring system and to compete within the club to try and get the highest score.

It really helps out if you pick games that didn't get that many views or the recognition that they should have. We get to have fun and in the meantime we're helping give deserving artists more views that they deserve.

It was actually an idea that I wanted to do for competitions in this club, but if there's an entire club made for it then it almost defeats the purpose. Anyway, if you have AIM or MSN I would appreciate it if you could PM me with your contact information so this next Tuesday we can run the award stealing watch.

BBS Signature
AJ
AJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Movie Buff
Response to Newground's Department of defense. Oct. 22nd, 2010 @ 07:25 AM Reply

At 10/16/10 11:04 AM, DarkSoldier wrote: I realize that for people that are not in the Portal or BBS Department, it would be much harder for them to earn LD Points. So let's say a member of the Art Dept. makes 20 posts, I think he/she should be awarded 20 LD Points even if they're not part of the BBS Department. The department(s) you're part of indicate which part(s) of Newgrounds you're most interested in but I don't think there would be any problem if someone earns a couple of points here and there from departments that they're not part of.

I like this idea, but how about instead of BBS posts, it's giving a constructive Art Review. For the Flash department, flash reviews. I think leaving a constructive review to an aspiring artist/animator would be a lot more beneficial to the NG community than just posting in some thread somewhere like you would have done anyways.

The BBS Department members are suppose to be role-models on the BBS, they aren't suppose to post just to post. Their posts are suppose to be of good quality too. If they don't meet those requirements, then they don't get their LD Points.

Is there a good plan in place to enforce this? There'll need to be some kind of guideline that says this is allowed, this is not, otherwise you're going to get a lot of arguing about decisions. When there aren't that many members, it wouldn't be a problem, but if word gets out that you can get free store credit just by posting like usual, a lot of people with credible resumes will join with no interest in being productive. Just going for the free stuff. These types of people would have to be taken out before they started earning items, otherwise we're wasting the store credit, and assuming it gets donated by Tom, we'd actually be hurting NG as a whole more than helping. If you include the Art and Flash department earning points from their posts, they need to be included in that. If Tom is intrigued by this idea, then that's not a bridge I want to burn by letting things get sloppy and tons of people who haven't helped much getting free stickers and stuff for just posting like normal.

Also, I like Toms idea of a milestone prize. Instead of resetting the LD points, let people keep them. At 2500 you get a sticker, at 5000, calender, then maybe 7500, the shirt. I'm just spitballing with the numbers. Then someone could keep a roster of who has the most all time LD points, or most gained LD points this month, and people could find competition just in that. I'm sure there's plenty of people that would be tearing through points trying to get up to the top.

For those who were just going for the shirt for the fun of it, by the time you've made enough points to get the shirt, the DoD would be a big enough part of your routine that I'm sure almost all would continue to post here at the very least. Most would probably stay and contribute. It would also cover Spiffys suggestion about making things fun for people who don't spend much time here. It'd be like going for Supreme Commander with B/P. Some would hit it fast, some would hit it slow, but once you're there, you've got it. Like I said though, it's going to have to be enforced if posts are a big part of the point gaining process.

Also, Spiffy my friend, good to see a Marine on board. Lol. Congrats to Fro as well. Couldn't ask for a better guy to be in charge of the Portal Department. I <3 ewe corky!

alfraydo
alfraydo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Newground's Department of defense. Oct. 22nd, 2010 @ 05:26 PM Reply

Regarding the LD system and using it to buy merchandise, I stand with DarkSoldier's original plan. You don't have to buy an item. You can just keep the points to show your dedication.

I happen to like the idea of a most all time points roster however. It would make for some friendly competition between us.

THIS WORLD IS MADE OF LOVE AND PEACE!

DarkSoldier
DarkSoldier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Gamer
Response to Newground's Department of defense. Oct. 23rd, 2010 @ 01:20 PM Reply

I like the ideas that are being suggested.

At 10/22/10 07:25 AM, michelinman wrote: The BBS Department members are suppose to be role-models on the BBS, they aren't suppose to post just to post. Their posts are suppose to be of good quality too. If they don't meet those requirements, then they don't get their LD Points.
Is there a good plan in place to enforce this? There'll need to be some kind of guideline that says this is allowed, this is not, otherwise you're going to get a lot of arguing about decisions.

Ideally, good quality means when your post isn't one line long and actually contributes to the thread.
Posts like "+1" or "That's cool" clearly don't add to the thread. But when you give a response that's more than one line and 5 words, then depending on the subject of the thread, we can consider it a good quality post.

Also...

We did have in the past Dept. Points and NGDD Points. And we had a ranking system with titles but they didn't really mean anything once you got it. So it wasn't very useful. Your LD Points are your currency but we can have a list where we keep track of your total amount of LD Points even after you spend them.

At 10/18/10 06:25 AM, rorypearce94 wrote:
Oh no, I joined very much to make NG a better place, trust me, I'm just worried about people actually joining to get merchandise, although I hope that the selective application procedure will help with this, I really do.

It's usually pretty easy to tell the bad apples apart from the good ones. So I don't believe this will be much of a problem. Although, the new application system allows the NGDD Members to have a chance to post their thoughts on applicants in a period of three days. The poll for each applicant can be found in the NGDD Applicants section on the forum.

p.s. Your forum account is now set.

The NGDD is planned to be officially opened on November 1st, 2010.So if all goes well in the next couple of days, that will be the start of when LD Points get counted.

- John

Need advice? Visit the RELATIONSHIP CREW!

BBS Signature
alfraydo
alfraydo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Newground's Department of defense. Oct. 23rd, 2010 @ 09:20 PM Reply

At 10/23/10 01:20 PM, DarkSoldier wrote: The NGDD is planned to be officially opened on November 1st, 2010.

That is excellent news! life had mentioned a new thread earlier. What is the decision on that?

AJ
AJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Movie Buff
Response to Newground's Department of defense. Nov. 1st, 2010 @ 05:49 AM Reply

At 10/23/10 01:20 PM, DarkSoldier wrote: The NGDD is planned to be officially opened on November 1st, 2010.So if all goes well in the next couple of days, that will be the start of when LD Points get counted.

What's the status on all that? Been a little dead through these parts as of late.

AnalPenguinFarming
AnalPenguinFarming
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Newground's Department of defense. Nov. 1st, 2010 @ 01:15 PM Reply

Been waiting for this place to come back up and running.

Count me in.

Yea, I farm Anal Penguins. Do something about it.

BBS Signature
DarkSoldier
DarkSoldier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Gamer
Response to Newground's Department of defense. Nov. 1st, 2010 @ 01:50 PM Reply

At 10/23/10 09:20 PM, Alfraydo wrote:
At 10/23/10 01:20 PM, DarkSoldier wrote: The NGDD is planned to be officially opened on November 1st, 2010.
That is excellent news! life had mentioned a new thread earlier. What is the decision on that?

I'm not sure. However, there's no rush in getting a new thread set up. We are still finalizing a lot of things regarding the new LD system.

At 11/1/10 05:49 AM, michelinman wrote:
At 10/23/10 01:20 PM, DarkSoldier wrote: The NGDD is planned to be officially opened on November 1st, 2010.So if all goes well in the next couple of days, that will be the start of when LD Points get counted.
What's the status on all that? Been a little dead through these parts as of late.

Yes, things have been a little quiet. I'm assuming a lot of people are busy, I know I am... last week was very busy at school and now I'm sick. So I'm hoping for something to turn my week around. >.http://ngdd.freeforums.org/index.php

BBS Signature
DarkSoldier
DarkSoldier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Gamer
Response to Newground's Department of defense. Nov. 1st, 2010 @ 01:51 PM Reply

The last part from my previous post was completely cut off...

Anyway...

At 11/1/10 01:15 PM, AnalPenguinFarming wrote: Been waiting for this place to come back up and running.

Count me in.

Great to hear from you APF!

Where would you like to start at the NGDD? It would be great to have you back on the NGDD Leader team if that interests you.

Let me know! :)

BBS Signature
AnalPenguinFarming
AnalPenguinFarming
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Newground's Department of defense. Nov. 1st, 2010 @ 05:35 PM Reply

At 11/1/10 01:51 PM, DarkSoldier wrote: Great to hear from you APF!

Where would you like to start at the NGDD? It would be great to have you back on the NGDD Leader team if that interests you.

Great to see everything has been going well with this new system and life is posting here. I'd love to be a part of the leadership team again if you'd have me. I'm sure I could provide some input to benefit this place and get it thriving once again. I'll hit the forums right now.

BBS Signature
Shade
Shade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Voice Actor
Response to Newground's Department of defense. Nov. 1st, 2010 @ 07:51 PM Reply

I think I'd be best suited for the BBS, can I join?

10 good posts? You may wanna dig around a bit.

"Where I fall ten more shall take my place! And one-hundred each of them! So strike me down! I am the harbinger!"-Ollanius Pius

Buy me things.

BBS Signature
alfraydo
alfraydo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Newground's Department of defense. Nov. 1st, 2010 @ 09:22 PM Reply

So today is the day, is it not? The official opening of the Newgrounds Department of Defense!

Ronald-McDonald-LoL
Ronald-McDonald-LoL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Newground's Department of defense. Nov. 1st, 2010 @ 09:38 PM Reply

October has flown by, it seems. Take your time re-opening the NGDD and work out everything important. We'd rather get it right the first time than screw it up.

I've been lurking and i think it's time the NGDD came back.

Dora Revolution | Descent Club | EGB | Sig by byteslinger. Click for my Twitch channel.

BBS Signature
34Deadman
34Deadman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Programmer
Response to Newground's Department of defense. Nov. 1st, 2010 @ 10:30 PM Reply

At 11/1/10 09:22 PM, Alfraydo wrote: So today is the day, is it not? The official opening of the Newgrounds Department of Defense!

I believe it is but DS says when this place is reopening or going back to full operation.

Siq by Limited thanks man! Ghost/Supernatural Club / High Society/ NGPD

BBS Signature
Lizzardis
Lizzardis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Newground's Department of defense. Nov. 3rd, 2010 @ 08:50 PM Reply

I feel as if now the NGDD is now officially re-open I should show my face a little and get to know the users who I'm going to be working with. Granted a know a few users from my past, the NGPD, the EGB and even back in the days of the NGDD, but I've missed out on quite a lot. Haha.

At 10/12/10 07:42 PM, DarkSoldier wrote: New Department Leaders:
Lizzardis - BBS Department
Alfraydo - Audio Department

Why thank you DS! I am happy of your decision and can ensure you that you will not be disappointed with my work. Yes, I don't post as much as I should nowadays, however whenever I do, my posts I feel are mature and detailed. I thank you for letting me be a part of this club as a leader. I once looked up to users such as this position and now I'm finally glad I can be here.

Please also welcome back NGDD Leader... TheThing!

Welcome back my friend! :D

At 10/15/10 12:25 AM, life wrote: What do you guys think? I haven't sent a reply yet because I'd like to get some discussion first. It looks he might be able to supply certain prizes in the form of store credit.

It would be nice, but like DS said, the NGDD is about protecting NG and making it a better place. I couldn't personally care whether we got nice little gifts or not. I mean yes of course it would be nice, but I'm used to the NGPD and the EGB where I don't get any more of a reward than "Thank You" and that my friends, is reward enough for me!

However, if Tom can supply some prizes, then that will make things a bit nicer for those users who would like a bit of motivation in order to do good to NG. Maybe it will become a habit then if they get rewarded for it!

At 10/16/10 11:48 AM, Alfraydo wrote: Congratulations Fro on your Portal Dept. Leader position! Also, congratulations to you too Lizzardis on the BBS Dept. Leader position!

Thank you Alfraydo. I see you're in my department of the BBS. Well done in making it in. I would like to say that if you have any questions, or even anything to which you feel I'm doing wrong or even NOT doing, please do not be afraid to PM me. I reply to PM's whenever I get them, so do not be afraid I wont reply.

You would have the choice of either keeping your points or "cash it in" per say.

That makes a lot more sense actually. Saving up, or blowing your points on something. Not only would that teach users to save up, but it would also encourage them to do more helpful things throughout NG in order to get what they want!

Then again, why am I repeating what DS has already told us? Jeez I'm tired tonight. That's what college life does to you. Haha.

At 10/16/10 05:32 PM, DarkSoldier wrote: The BBS Department members are suppose to be role-models on the BBS, they aren't suppose to post just to post. Their posts are suppose to be of good quality too. If they don't meet those requirements, then they don't get their LD Points.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Mature, lengthy and good quality posts are what's needed on the BBS. Moreso now than ever. I feel as if the BBS is on a decline, especially in General and I feel as if we should work as hard as we can in order to try and get it back up again.

We'll only make a slight difference, but last time I checked, and I'm not that good at Math, but a slight difference was still more than no difference!

I'd like to thank DS again for giving me the position of BBS Dept. Leader. You will NOT be let down. However as it stands now, it is officially the 2nd Nov 2010 here in the UK, so the NGDD to me has been open for 24 hours. I'd like to wish a good luck to the NGDD this time around. I would hope with this reboot, things will go smoothly.

Remember as well... Just because I'm not posting, doesn't mean I'm not lurking. ;)

I'm not gay, but my boyfriend is! ;) | Have you found my penis yet? I lost it </3

A Lesson on reviewing. | Computer troubles? | PM me for Flash Icons.

BBS Signature
DarkSoldier
DarkSoldier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Gamer
Response to Newground's Department of defense. Nov. 6th, 2010 @ 02:06 PM Reply

Sorry for my absence the past couple of days, been extremely sick. :(

At 11/1/10 05:35 PM, AnalPenguinFarming wrote:
At 11/1/10 01:51 PM, DarkSoldier wrote: Great to hear from you APF!

Great to see everything has been going well with this new system and life is posting here. I'd love to be a part of the leadership team again if you'd have me. I'm sure I could provide some input to benefit this place and get it thriving once again. I'll hit the forums right now.

Wonderful!

Please join me in welcoming back AnalPenguinFarming to the NGDD and Leadership Team!

APF, your forum account is now updated.

At 11/1/10 07:51 PM, Madnessfreak wrote: I think I'd be best suited for the BBS, can I join?

10 good posts? You may wanna dig around a bit.

You have a lot of one-liners in your posts. Though, I believe the NGDD can help you with improving your post quality. :)

So... create an account on our forums and I'll add you to our roster.
http://ngdd.freeforums.org/index.php

At 11/1/10 09:22 PM, Alfraydo wrote: So today is the day, is it not? The official opening of the Newgrounds Department of Defense!

November 1st was the expected date, but I think it is better that we get everything ready first. I'm working on a thread to help the NGDD Dept. Leaders manage their Departments and getting some other things worked out.

I assure you, the NGDD will be open in good time. We've received lots of applications in the past month. We're growing and that is definitely good!

Let's generate some discussion here, how's the portal been lately? I see Lizzardis mentioned something about the BBS posts in the General forum degrading. That's pretty interesting though I think I must agree with that statement because I have noticed that the BBS has been getting lower in terms of post quality.

BBS Signature
Ronald-McDonald-LoL
Ronald-McDonald-LoL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Newground's Department of defense. Nov. 6th, 2010 @ 03:16 PM Reply

At 11/6/10 02:06 PM, DarkSoldier wrote: Sorry for my absence the past couple of days, been extremely sick. :(

It's that time of year!

Let's generate some discussion here, how's the portal been lately? I see Lizzardis mentioned something about the BBS posts in the General forum degrading. That's pretty interesting though I think I must agree with that statement because I have noticed that the BBS has been getting lower in terms of post quality.

Portal has been pretty much typical. I have no major complaints. Just a few stolen flashes here and there, some spam, but overall quality.

General has gone downhill steadily. A lot of reaction images and other general 4chan mannerisms have invaded and become common. Post quality is better than it has been in the past but there's a lot that can be improved. I would know, I visit General a lot. I feel that one-liners will never leave General.

A few interesting topics, however. My favorite over the last couple weeks was the "What NG Sees as a helpful Review" topic.

Dora Revolution | Descent Club | EGB | Sig by byteslinger. Click for my Twitch channel.

BBS Signature
Pandamir
Pandamir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Gamer
Response to Newground's Department of defense. Nov. 6th, 2010 @ 03:28 PM Reply

Well was a member here before the great dead activity span that hit this place what seems like so long ago. But if it's alright would like to rejoin up around here.

Love is giving somebody the power to destroy you and trusting them not to!!

BBS Signature
34Deadman
34Deadman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Programmer
Response to Newground's Department of defense. Nov. 7th, 2010 @ 10:27 AM Reply

At 11/6/10 03:16 PM, Ronald-McDonald-LoL wrote:
At 11/6/10 02:06 PM, DarkSoldier wrote: Sorry for my absence the past couple of days, been extremely sick. :(
It's that time of year!

Portal has been pretty much typical. I have no major complaints. Just a few stolen flashes here and there, some spam, but overall quality.

Yes spam.....KK made themselves known during summer. But spam groups are absent now. I have a question can I post abusive reviews here? I have done so in the NGPD thread but it is a touchy subject there.

Siq by Limited thanks man! Ghost/Supernatural Club / High Society/ NGPD

BBS Signature
alfraydo
alfraydo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Newground's Department of defense. Nov. 7th, 2010 @ 05:16 PM Reply

At 11/6/10 02:06 PM, DarkSoldier wrote: Please join me in welcoming back AnalPenguinFarming to the NGDD and Leadership Team!

Welcome back to the NGDD, AnalPenguinFarming!

November 1st was the expected date, but I think it is better that we get everything ready first. I'm working on a thread to help the NGDD Dept. Leaders manage their Departments and getting some other things worked out.
I assure you, the NGDD will be open in good time. We've received lots of applications in the past month. We're growing and that is definitely good!

There is no worry, DarkSoldier. No rush at all. I'm glad to see the NGDD continue to grow! :)

Let's generate some discussion here, how's the portal been lately?

The portal has been same as it has been. The usual spam here and there, though no significant changes that I am aware of.

I would have to agree with Lizzardis regarding the BBS, particularly General. Post quality is quite low, and should really be improved beyond one-liners.

alfraydo
alfraydo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Newground's Department of defense. Nov. 7th, 2010 @ 05:29 PM Reply

I would like to bring up an update of the Audio Portal, if I may. The Top 5 is pretty good this week in my opinion; I especially enjoy AzureVixen's +- Click Clock Wood -+. Give a listen to this week's Top 5 if you haven't already!

You can always find the usual techno submissions, although there are some better than others. Just a reminder; Be sure to keep an eye out for stolen music.

AJ
AJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Movie Buff
Response to Newground's Department of defense. Nov. 8th, 2010 @ 04:23 AM Reply

I personally think General has gotten better through time. Everything was crap when I first signed up, of course, I was 14 and thrived in it. Haha. Went back to my early post history, clicked the first thread I saw and BAM! Horse ass. That's a pretty good summary of every thread back in the day. Notice how it's not locked. At least there's some threads nowadays that get a serious discussion going and the crap threads get deleted. C&C seems to be a place where people become more mature posters now too. I remember when C&C was just as popular as General and people spam posted in random topics all the time. Things are surprisingly serious around here now.

Pandamir
Pandamir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Gamer
Response to Newground's Department of defense. Nov. 8th, 2010 @ 10:43 AM Reply

At 11/8/10 04:23 AM, michelinman wrote:

Things are surprisingly serious around here now.

Yeah it does seems that things have matured around here since the days when I first joined and was exactly like you said, Full of spam and people will horrible posting habits. But now things are different and can tell that it's all for the better. At least I think so anyway.

Love is giving somebody the power to destroy you and trusting them not to!!

BBS Signature
AnalPenguinFarming
AnalPenguinFarming
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Newground's Department of defense. Nov. 8th, 2010 @ 04:56 PM Reply

The problem with the General forums is the fact that in the years since NG has started we've pretty much depleted the world of topics. Even if a person wants to create a topic that is more up-to-date and seems as if it would make more sense in this time frame than in the past times it has been posted, a fellow user will take the liberty of jumping down their throat with a link to the past topic.

Unfortunately, this causes a problem and more users are being butthurt by the fact they can't post without being harassed. However, I do occasionally find a diamond in the rough that is worthy of being posted in. I like to stick with the Video Game forums as of recent because you can't really be pummeled too hard as video games are constantly changing.

Also, I just wanted to take this time to say hello to all the existing members and all new ones willing to join the NGDD and the cause we stand for. I would also like to thank DS for welcoming me back in and placing me once again on a leadership team to help this place thrive once again on NG. It's great to be back and I'm looking forward to working alongside the leaders as well as members in making this place fun and a comfortable place to talk about anything, as it was in the past.

BBS Signature
AnalPenguinFarming
AnalPenguinFarming
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Newground's Department of defense. Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 12:28 PM Reply

Alright guys if we plan on moving the NGDD into a more thriving thread again then we need more effort from our posters. A week without a single post here is unacceptable. It doesn't matter if you post a 3-liner about something you did this week, an update on the BBS or Portal, or even just a comment of improvement. We can't go back into a state of inactivity. It doesn't look good for new applicants let alone current leaders.

Hopefully not stepping on any toes here but this is something we need to do to keep this thread from dying once again. Whether or not we haven't officially opened shouldn't stop the discussion here until the official opening of a thread begins.

Let's hear a report on the portal.

BBS Signature
Ronald-McDonald-LoL
Ronald-McDonald-LoL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Newground's Department of defense. Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 12:40 PM Reply

At 11/12/10 12:28 PM, AnalPenguinFarming wrote:
Let's hear a report on the portal.

Okay, that can be arranged.
Very mixed quality as of late. There's been some stolen flashes, and crap like this:

I'd rather not rant about the garbage. The portal, overall, has been satisfactory..... merely satisfactory. Not much to write home about, although there are some interesting games. It's calm. I did find myself wasting time playing Diesel Valkyrie this morning -- it was stolen sometime last month and submitted but this one looks like it was submitted by the original author.

The BBS has been highly enjoyable. I've actually made a thread this week.

On a more personal note, I'm finally approaching level 31 -- my goal since the redesign.

BBS Signature
AnalPenguinFarming
AnalPenguinFarming
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Newground's Department of defense. Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 01:06 PM Reply

At 11/12/10 12:40 PM, Ronald-McDonald-LoL wrote: The BBS has been highly enjoyable. I've actually made a thread this week.

On a more personal note, I'm finally approaching level 31 -- my goal since the redesign.

This is a big deal! Passing into the 30 mark of levels is rough. The experience gain is ridiculous and it takes forever to see any advancement in levels. I myself am coming up on level 35 soon, but the path is long and becomes quite a pain after a while.

And yea, although the BBS is enjoyable lately to read I still haven't seen much worth me posting on. I should probably keep looking.

BBS Signature
alfraydo
alfraydo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Newground's Department of defense. Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 06:32 PM Reply

You're right AnalPenguinFarming! Excuse me for not posting.

The BBS is as enjoyable as it has been for me, although I find it harder to post when there is nothing interesting. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

On an uninteresting note, I have had a decent week. Good grades overall, and an eventful Veteran's Day (Armistice Day) assembly at my school. I had played Taps at it.

Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to Newground's Department of defense. Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 07:54 PM Reply

What does everyone think of the winners for the Halloween competitions?

I personally found this to be very well animated. The story went on for a little too long in the middle, but the action eventually sped up and it ended good. I feel that it's deserving of 1st place for sure.

I personally didn't like this at all. I'm assuming that it's only because I have a very hard time drawing with the mouse though. I would have liked to seen a better Halloween themed game this year, but I guess there wasn't any.

• Vampire Night (Dark Orchestral
    Vampire Night (Dark Orchestral by NexhasUnleashed

Click to listen.

Score
    4.58 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Ambient
    Popularity

Can't you just envision this in a really cool Halloween flash or even a professional Halloween cartoon that you might see on TV? Very fitting for the Halloween season if I may say so myself.

http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/poxpo wer/chainsaw-the-pumpkins

All I can say is wow. I can't find anything wrong with it.

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1201 882/2#bbspost21982095_heading

Please read this story if you have time. I was actually the one who judged the writing competition all by myself. Sentio wrote an amazing story about Pico related to Halloween. It might send chills down your spine.

BBS Signature