00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kyzakay just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Official Music Theory Thread

7,711 Views | 129 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

The Official Music Theory Thread 2006-06-16 14:35:45

All right, all of you NG-goers. I've noticed that a lot of people either
a) Don't use Music Theory or
b) Wish to learn Music Theory

So I have started this thread in order to help people understand it a little better. Either I or any other person may answer questions from anyone who wishes them to be answered on this thread. I do not promise you that I will know the answers to all of them, but I'll try :)

Please do not post in this thread if all you want to say is you don't believe in Music Theory (meaning you don't believe it's necessary). I want this to be productive.

I have no idea if this type of thread has already been made; I did, however, check, and found nothing. So, in conclusion, I hope this turns into something worthwhile and not something that falls downhill.

Enjoy, or something like that.

MusicalRocky

Response to The Official Music Theory Thread 2006-06-16 14:45:58

I can understand you wanting to re-establish this, but it's unnecessary to do so.

Use the old thread.

Report Songs|Submit Ideas|How Erkie reviews|

94% of posts made in AF since 2005

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Music Theory Thread 2006-06-16 14:53:12

I knew someone would point that out. The reason I'm "restarting" it is because the other one became less of a Music Theory/ Educational thread and more an expression of people's definition of music or "good music." You understand me? Sorry if I was wrong to start a new thread of it.

Response to The Official Music Theory Thread 2006-06-16 14:59:08

Music Theory is about technical sense, it became philosophical because people kept asking why it's technical. It's not against the rules to ask the thread to get back on the subject.

Report Songs|Submit Ideas|How Erkie reviews|

94% of posts made in AF since 2005

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Music Theory Thread 2006-06-16 15:23:42

the real question is,how many people here can actually sit through theory lessons hehehehehe
i find that theory becomes more less important (what??) the deeper i get into music

Congratulations! You just destroyed someone else's hard work! This Flash has been blammed.

Response to The Official Music Theory Thread 2006-06-16 15:30:21

Hahaha. Maybe that's because you're getting better at it and don't need to think about it when composing, eh?

Anyways, this thread might as well DIE.

Response to The Official Music Theory Thread 2006-06-16 15:57:37

i only ever realy use theory when i have to harmonize or write a solo...the rest of the times i just go by ear
i don't havet he kind of discipline it takes to sit down and map out my way before i get to playing hehe...the playings the fun part afterall ^_^

Congratulations! You just destroyed someone else's hard work! This Flash has been blammed.

Response to The Official Music Theory Thread 2006-06-16 16:46:46

At 6/16/06 03:57 PM, xXDathDalerXx wrote: i only ever realy use theory when i have to harmonize or write a solo...the rest of the times i just go by ear
i don't havet he kind of discipline it takes to sit down and map out my way before i get to playing hehe...the playings the fun part afterall ^_^

Yeah, I definitely know what you mean.

Response to The Official Music Theory Thread 2006-06-16 18:27:20

How about this = the official Music Theory "questions" thread...cuz yes, the old one now sucks

a

Response to The Official Music Theory Thread 2006-06-16 20:06:00

Hang about, that sig looks familiar; is that an alt, Glaisne?

I agree with a music theory questions thread; it might see some use. I recall another thread from somewhere over the musical rainbow that went into great lectures, and was a little sore on the eye and brain. This way, people can ask what they want to know, and someone is bound to pick up (looks over at the Classical posse). On the other hand, music theory doesn't really come into play in a lot of music on here; a lot of theory is harmony and structure, two things only certain types of music will actually utilize (stares again at the Classical bunch). Let's just see how things go with it.

Response to The Official Music Theory Thread 2006-06-16 20:20:50

At 6/16/06 08:06 PM, Grumbleduke wrote: Hang about, that sig looks familiar; is that an alt, Glaisne?

Actually, it's a name change to my actual artist name...Glaisne is my character name in LARPing, so that's what I signed up with here, but everywhere I post music I'm Triskele.

Now...BACK ON TOPIC EVERYONE!!!

a

Response to The Official Music Theory Thread 2006-06-16 20:22:51

a

Response to The Official Music Theory Thread 2006-06-16 20:23:25

There was a relevant paragraph beneath that, you know...

Do you get tired of people shouting "LIGHTNING BOLT!" at you? That clip gives you all an undeserved bad name.

Response to The Official Music Theory Thread 2006-06-16 20:37:03

Hm...Interesting...I guess this thread...Is revived...Or something :) Questions a coming!

Response to The Official Music Theory Thread 2006-06-16 20:41:38

At 6/16/06 08:23 PM, Grumbleduke wrote: There was a relevant paragraph beneath that, you know...

Do you get tired of people shouting "LIGHTNING BOLT!" at you? That clip gives you all an undeserved bad name.

I know.

And I've never seen that clip actually...and I'm a healer, so my incantation is actually:

Sword cut, spear stab, mace smash, arrow jab, let the white light of healing descend on thou. Sword cut, spear stab, mace smash, arrow jab, let the white light of healing stop thy spilling blood. Sword cut, spear stab, mace smash, arrow jab, let the white light of healing mend thy bones. Sword cut, spear stab, mace smash, arrow jab, let the white light of healing close thy wounds. Sword cut, spear stab, mace smash, arrow jab,let the white light of healing restore thy vigor. Sword cut, spear stab, mace smash, arrow jab, the white light of healing hath healed thou

...it's fun, I swear.

Oops, off-topic again ;)

a

Response to The Official Music Theory Thread 2006-06-17 00:22:21

Was this thread really ever on-topic?

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Music Theory Thread 2006-06-17 00:32:05

At 6/17/06 12:22 AM, DavidOrr wrote: Was this thread really ever on-topic?

It was promising until I chimed in.

a

Response to The Official Music Theory Thread 2006-06-17 08:57:42

At 6/16/06 08:41 PM, Triskele wrote:
And I've never seen that clip actually...

Just for you so you know how NOT to LARP.

This topic has derailed already and we've not hit page 2. Oops :).

Response to The Official Music Theory Thread 2006-06-17 12:56:15

ok. here's a question to get it on topic:

an inversion of a 3rd in a major augmented 5th, what note is it if the root note is e?

my youtube.

click it.

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Music Theory Thread 2006-06-17 13:04:30

At 6/17/06 12:56 PM, mhb wrote: ok. here's a question to get it on topic:

an inversion of a 3rd in a major augmented 5th, what note is it if the root note is e?

A 3rd inversion of that (I believe) would be, bottom to top, B G E

Response to The Official Music Theory Thread 2006-06-17 13:05:44

Actually, I correct myself: C G E

Response to The Official Music Theory Thread 2006-06-17 13:49:07

(Sorry for triple-post)...Wait a second, mhb...did you mean that the root of the inversion is E or did you mean the E Major augmented 5th chord? If you meant the root of the inversion is E, then the answer is E G# C. If you meant the augmented E major fifth chord, then the answer is C E G#.

Response to The Official Music Theory Thread 2006-06-17 14:01:18

3rd inversion? Meaning if you inverted so that the 3rd is the bottom note?

Then it'd be G#, C, E...pretty simple ^.^

Response to The Official Music Theory Thread 2006-06-18 15:43:15

At 6/17/06 02:01 PM, DJ_Dinero wrote: 3rd inversion? Meaning if you inverted so that the 3rd is the bottom note?

Then it'd be G#, C, E...pretty simple ^.^

Um. No, that's not exactly what an inversion is. With an inversion you put the bottom note on top. So let's say I have an A minor augmented fifth. That's A C F.
1) A first inversion would be (put A on top) C F A.
2) A first inversion would be (put C on top) F A C.
3) So a third inversio would be (put F on top) A C F, the same as no inversion. Haha.

Get it?

Response to The Official Music Theory Thread 2006-06-18 18:23:53

i guess you really misunderstood my question.

the inversion of the third of an e major augmented 5th.

my youtube.

click it.

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Music Theory Thread 2006-06-18 18:47:59

Eh eh! If we want this to be a credible Theory Thread, this needs pointing out: the augmented fifth of E is B#, not C.
Inverting the E+ chord would become G# - B# - E. If you'd start calling it a G#+ now, it would be G#, B#, D##.

Response to The Official Music Theory Thread 2006-06-18 18:57:38

At 6/18/06 06:47 PM, WinTang wrote: Eh eh! If we want this to be a credible Theory Thread, this needs pointing out: the augmented fifth of E is B#, not C.
Inverting the E+ chord would become G# - B# - E. If you'd start calling it a G#+ now, it would be G#, B#, D##.

1) Where'd you get D## from?
2) B# is C

*Thinks* Oh haha. D## = E. I see. Silly me. And yet, why not just write E? Unless you're composing in a certain key in which it's more pleasing to the eye to put D##...

Response to The Official Music Theory Thread 2006-06-18 19:29:54

At 6/18/06 06:57 PM, MusicalRocky wrote: *Thinks* Oh haha. D## = E. I see. Silly me. And yet, why not just write E? Unless you're composing in a certain key in which it's more pleasing to the eye to put D##...

because if you write E it's wrong
in theory you can not write E cause it's an augmented G# chord

Response to The Official Music Theory Thread 2006-06-18 19:35:36

OH I see. Yeah. That's wrong if you write E. Like writing D F G## for a D minor fifth, right?

Response to The Official Music Theory Thread 2006-06-18 19:40:00

At 6/18/06 06:47 PM, WinTang wrote: Eh eh! If we want this to be a credible Theory Thread, this needs pointing out: the augmented fifth of E is B#, not C.

Ownage.

a