New Topic Respond to this Topic
Chindamo
Chindamo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 26th, 2006 @ 10:26 PM Reply

Hehehe found another awsum club. I'm a big DT fan, they're my favourite proggresive band out there, plus proggresive metal is one of my favourite genres. I know a few dudes in this club seeing as i'm in Metal Hell and some other clubs, and I think this will become a very successful club. My favourite album is Awake. It's one of they're heavier albums I would say, and includes one of my favourite DT songs, 6:00. I also like Erotomania from that album alot. I also own Train of Thought, where one of my favourites lie in Honor They Father. I'm going to get Octovarium soon, as with Scenes From a Memory. And -Nev-, good on you, I play bass with my finger too. R.I.P CLIFF BURTON!!!

Listens to Hate me! by Children of Bodom. Uh oh.

>:(

Insert-Pie
Insert-Pie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 27th, 2006 @ 07:32 AM Reply

I just heard about the new Dream Theater album/dvd that's coming out soon. It's called Score. Looks like it'll be pretty awesome. There's a trailer for it on thier site.

I can't wait.
WorldOutkast
WorldOutkast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 27th, 2006 @ 09:05 AM Reply

At 8/27/06 07:32 AM, insert_pie wrote: I just heard about the new Dream Theater album/dvd that's coming out soon. It's called Score. Looks like it'll be pretty awesome. There's a trailer for it on thier site.
I can't wait.

Mine.

I am so going down to the music store tomorrow and forcing the guy there to get a copy for me.

GraemeW
GraemeW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 27th, 2006 @ 09:58 AM Reply

So, who all plays what instruments in here anyways? I play fretless bass. Without a pick, of course. But I can also play drums a bit, and keyboards.

Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 27th, 2006 @ 10:18 AM Reply

At 8/27/06 09:58 AM, Graeme_W wrote: So, who all plays what instruments in here anyways? I play fretless bass. Without a pick, of course. But I can also play drums a bit, and keyboards.

I only play guitar and bass at the moment. And that annoys me, its so standard.
I really wanna learn as many instruments as possible. Especially piano. But I'll end up learning drums next. As a drum kit is cheaper than a piano.
And things like Sax and Violin I think would be cool to learn.

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy
PSN: Look-a-Hill
Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature
Insert-Pie
Insert-Pie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 28th, 2006 @ 02:25 AM Reply

At 8/27/06 09:58 AM, Graeme_W wrote:
So, who all plays what instruments in here anyways? I play fretless bass. Without a pick, of course. But I can also play drums a bit, and keyboards.

I've been playing bass for a little while, using fingers of course. I tried playing some Dream Theater a while ago but gave up on it because it was too hard, and most songs you need a 6 string to play the propper bassline. Although, I have gotten better since I last tried my hand at some DT, so I might try again.

Chindamo
Chindamo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 29th, 2006 @ 04:16 AM Reply

I started with piano actually. I did that for 6 years before I realised that I would rather play other instruments, or a range at least. I tried guitar for a while, and i'm stickin' with bass for now, as i'm in a band as a bass player. Oh yeah, am I in? I need to replace The Futurama Club in my sig with this club, lol.

Insert-Pie
Insert-Pie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 29th, 2006 @ 08:51 AM Reply

At 8/29/06 04:16 AM, Phantom_Lord wrote:
Oh yeah, am I in? I need to replace The Futurama Club in my sig with this club, lol.

As the unofficial vice president of the Dream Theater Crew, I hereby grant you membership to the club.
What is your favorite DT album and song?

Chindamo
Chindamo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 30th, 2006 @ 10:02 AM Reply

As said before my kind sage, Awake is thine most thought of highedly as an album, and thy first track from the album that shall serve as my favourite song would be Six O'clock, or as it is digitally represented on the back of thy album cover, "6:00". Is thine choices acceptable?

Chindamo
Chindamo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 30th, 2006 @ 10:04 AM Reply

Woops 4got 2 turn off my 15th century royalty translator. Awake and 6:00.

Chindamo
Chindamo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 30th, 2006 @ 10:15 AM Reply

Now my sig is good. I've ordered things in the biggest priorety too. Sorry Metal Hell is more important lol. Except I'm pretty sure the Iron Maiden crew are starting a new thread and now that ones really inactive. So. Yeah. I like my sig. Dream Theater. Awsum.

LavaTemplar
LavaTemplar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 30th, 2006 @ 08:44 PM Reply

So I just got Score today.

It's the greatest thing I've ever heard in my life. Geez. I was totally floored when they played Metropolis, I swear God himself came and walked through the room. I got bigtime goosebumps. An orchestra takes their songs to a whole new level.... My god, it's simply amazing. As a player of the instrument, I really appreciated the French Horn licks they threw in. Ah..... I'm in heaven right now.

Anyway, you guys were talking about Dragonforce, and I also really like them. Like Dream Theater, their technical proficiency is evident and deserves great praise.

Have any of you heard the band Dream Evil? They're very good, they've got a heavier sound but it's very melodic which I like. Even if the vocals are cheesy (like Dragonforce), it sounds great. And a metal band that doesn't have yelling and screeching for vocals is kinda hard to find these days, so they're a refreshing listen.

Chindamo
Chindamo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 31st, 2006 @ 04:15 AM Reply

Dragonforce are OK, I just, well. The songs sound similar, the cheesy chorus effects piss me off and the lyrics are pretty gay. Plus i'm more of a hardcore guy, but I appreciate virtuoso and skilled musician, which is why I like DT and why I think Dragonforce is OK istead of crap. The best song by Dragonforce i've ever heard is probably Soldiers of the Wasteland or My Spirit will go on.

And the japanese bonus tracks are usually crap. Heart of a Dragon is so lame. Seriously. Four little speckled frogs doesn't make a good metal song.

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 31st, 2006 @ 06:58 AM Reply

At 8/30/06 08:44 PM, LavaTemplar wrote: Have any of you heard the band Dream Evil?

Yeah, I found out about Dream Evil when I was searching for Dream Theater CDs and saw some Dream Evil. I don't know anything about them other than using the name from one of Dio's songs. Hmm, Dream Theater, I could get 6DOIT for about £5 from Amazon, so I should get that a bit soon after I receive Blind Guardian - Battalions of Fear that's from Amazon. :P

At 8/31/06 04:15 AM, Phantom_Lord wrote: Dragonforce are OK, I just, well. The songs sound similar, the cheesy chorus effects piss me off and the lyrics are pretty gay.

You should try listening to DragonForce songs more carefully and they won't sound the same. :P

[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

Insert-Pie
Insert-Pie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 31st, 2006 @ 07:25 AM Reply

At 8/30/06 08:44 PM, LavaTemplar wrote:
Have any of you heard the band Dream Evil? They're very good, they've got a heavier sound but it's very melodic which I like. Even if the vocals are cheesy (like Dragonforce), it sounds great. And a metal band that doesn't have yelling and screeching for vocals is kinda hard to find these days, so they're a refreshing listen.

I've got Dream Evil's album "The Book of Heavy Metal". Anyone who likes classic metal will love it. I guess you could call it pure rock on a single cd. The album drips cheasy lyrics and solid rock riffs.
I too found out about them while looking for Dream Theater stuff on the net.

Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 31st, 2006 @ 09:10 AM Reply

At 8/31/06 06:58 AM, Tyranitar wrote: You should try listening to DragonForce songs more carefully and they won't sound the same. :P

Yeh. The reason they sound the same is cause the drummer plays so fucking fast it all merges into one. But in terms of guitar melodies they're very diverse. Plus Dragonforce aren't a real serious band. They're just fun.

Also, P_L, you said you like My Spirit... and Soliders... Well both of those are from Sonic Firestorm, and well, Inhuman Rampage is better. Check that out.

At 8/31/06 07:25 AM, insert_pie wrote: I've got Dream Evil's album "The Book of Heavy Metal". Anyone who likes classic metal will love it. I guess you could call it pure rock on a single cd. The album drips cheasy lyrics and solid rock riffs.

Its too cheesey for me. Cheese should be fun, not annoying. And Dream Evil annoy me... a lot. And I'm usually very tolerant to all rock and metal.

BBS Signature
LavaTemplar
LavaTemplar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 31st, 2006 @ 03:27 PM Reply

At 8/31/06 04:15 AM, Phantom_Lord wrote: Dragonforce are OK, I just, well. The songs sound similar, the cheesy chorus effects piss me off and the lyrics are pretty gay. Plus i'm more of a hardcore guy, but I appreciate virtuoso and skilled musician, which is why I like DT and why I think Dragonforce is OK istead of crap. The best song by Dragonforce i've ever heard is probably Soldiers of the Wasteland or My Spirit will go on.

And the japanese bonus tracks are usually crap. Heart of a Dragon is so lame. Seriously. Four little speckled frogs doesn't make a good metal song.

I thought exactly the same way until one day out of boredom I started listening to Sonic Firestorm carefully for once, and I was sold by about halfway through My Spirit Will Go On. My other favorite Dragonforce song is Fields of Despair. The key to Dragonforce is to not listen to the words so much as the melodies and harmonies all the different sounds make, and not to take them seriously.

As for Dream Evil, I don't have "The Book of Heavy Metal," so I don't know about that album, but Dragonslayer is awesome and Evilized is pretty good. The lyrics are really cheesy but you just can't take them too seriously. I think their image and lyrics are simply ridiculous, but their songs are cool and that's really matters. When I want serious I go with Dream Theater. That's why they're my favorite band, because they have deep lyrics and don't go over the top with anything, they just keep it real and kick ass.

Chindamo
Chindamo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Sep. 1st, 2006 @ 04:34 AM Reply

Yeah, I got every Dragonforce album so I guess I can't say im NOT a fan, coz I have their entire discography. And the best songs from Inhuman Rampage are probably Through the fire and the Flames and The flame of Youth. Hmm.......... Sounds like a conspiracy.

LavaTemplar
LavaTemplar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Sep. 1st, 2006 @ 03:28 PM Reply

So do any of you have Score yet?? If not you HAVE to go out and buy it, you've never heard anything more glorious.

Chindamo
Chindamo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Sep. 1st, 2006 @ 09:47 PM Reply

I hope they have it in. My cd shop sux :(

Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Sep. 2nd, 2006 @ 10:09 AM Reply

At 9/1/06 03:28 PM, LavaTemplar wrote: So do any of you have Score yet?? If not you HAVE to go out and buy it, you've never heard anything more glorious.

Is it better than Live at the Budokan?

BBS Signature
LavaTemplar
LavaTemplar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Sep. 3rd, 2006 @ 11:04 PM Reply

Was Live at Budokan recorded at Radio City Music Hall?
Did they play with a full orchestra?
Did they perform all of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence and Octavarium with said orchestra?

Live at Budokan is child's play compared to this.

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to Dream Theater Crew Sep. 4th, 2006 @ 06:46 AM Reply

At 9/1/06 03:28 PM, LavaTemplar wrote: So do any of you have Score yet?? If not you HAVE to go out and buy it, you've never heard anything more glorious.

Hey, live albums are at the very bottom of my want list other than the Iron Maiden live albums. I may get Score once I have all of Dream Theater's studio albums. I prefer to listen to studio versions of the songs before listening to the live version. :P

Formerly Bahamut

Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Sep. 4th, 2006 @ 07:43 AM Reply

At 9/3/06 11:04 PM, LavaTemplar wrote: Was Live at Budokan recorded at Radio City Music Hall?
Did they play with a full orchestra?
Did they perform all of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence and Octavarium with said orchestra?

Live at Budokan is child's play compared to this.

LIve Scenes from New York looks better than all for one reason:
'A Change of Seasons" – 24:35'

Or Live at the Marquee for one reason:
'Kevin Moore - keyboards'

BBS Signature
Crashedd
Crashedd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Sep. 6th, 2006 @ 12:15 PM Reply

Has anyone here seen DT play live? Moreover, are they good live?
Not that I doubt there musicanship for one second its just, when I saw steve vai I was expecting it to be laid back but it was pretty balls to the wall performance, should I expect the same from Dt?

GraemeW
GraemeW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Sep. 9th, 2006 @ 03:05 PM Reply

At 9/6/06 12:15 PM, Crashedd wrote: Has anyone here seen DT play live? Moreover, are they good live?

Yeah, I saw them open for Yes a couple years ago. Amazing. The ENTIRE concert. I got my 2nd favourite band playing, and then my favourite band playing. It was orgasmic. And yeah, they're good in concert; a bit too loud at the one I was at, but they're good.

Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Sep. 9th, 2006 @ 04:18 PM Reply

At 9/9/06 03:05 PM, GraemeW wrote: a bit too loud at the one I was at, but they're good.

Bands can be too loud?

BBS Signature
Crashedd
Crashedd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Sep. 10th, 2006 @ 06:12 AM Reply

At 9/9/06 03:05 PM, GraemeW wrote: Yeah, I saw them open for Yes a couple years ago. Amazing. The ENTIRE concert. I got my 2nd favourite band playing, and then my favourite band playing. It was orgasmic. And yeah, they're good in concert; a bit too loud at the one I was at, but they're good.

A bit loud?
But thats like, normal for a concert to be loud... Right? :P
I just bought DT: Score, 20th Anniversary World Tour.
3 Cds Woo!
*Will not go outside for several days*

DreamTheater
DreamTheater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Sep. 10th, 2006 @ 03:47 PM Reply

Hey. I'd like to join the Dream Theater Crew. I've been listening to them for about 2 months. It all started when I bought Octavarium on impulse because i'm a big fan of anything prog, and wanted to explore another prog band. I bought the album and had it on constant repeat for about 5-6 days... loving every minute of it. Since then i've bought Images & Words and also Score, both of which are great. My favourite songs are either 'These Walls' or 'Take the Time'. I think why I love prog stuff so much is because i'm a drummer and all the drummers in prog bands are at the top of their game. Anyway i'll not ramble anymore (Also I have this name because my old one wasn't applicable anymore and I thought "why not"). I'm not one of those guys who claims to be a bands biggest fan, but I do need a rather big DT fix on regular occasions.

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to Dream Theater Crew Sep. 10th, 2006 @ 03:54 PM Reply

At 9/10/06 03:47 PM, Dream-Theater wrote: Hey. I'd like to join the Dream Theater Crew.

I think you'll be accepted in, but I think your Dream Theater obsession is bad. I started to get into them in June and you got into them after me and are obsessed with them more than me. :| Well, I still havn't bothered to get anymore Dream Theater albums. I did see A Change of Seasons for £7, but I just didn't bother to get it. Maybe next time I go shopping, I'll get another Dream Theater album.

Formerly Bahamut