Be a Supporter!

Dream Theater Crew

  • 54,606 Views
  • 1,552 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Clifftopher
Clifftopher
  • Member since: Feb. 17, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2007-09-10 09:54:08 Reply

At 9/10/07 09:53 AM, Chindamo wrote:
ALTS R TEH GHEY

NO THEY TEH NOTZ

SuperFlyPrivateEye
SuperFlyPrivateEye
  • Member since: Apr. 16, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2007-09-10 09:54:41 Reply

At 9/10/07 09:54 AM, Clifftopher wrote: NO THEY TEH NOTZ

YES THEY TEH R

Demilich
Demilich
  • Member since: Aug. 24, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2007-09-10 09:57:16 Reply

LOLZORZ


BBS Signature
CoffinCreature
CoffinCreature
  • Member since: Sep. 10, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2007-09-10 09:57:51 Reply

At 9/10/07 09:57 AM, Demilich wrote: LOLZORZ

GO DIE IN A FIRE

puddleduck
puddleduck
  • Member since: Oct. 31, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2007-09-10 10:02:26 Reply

Puddleduck?


Smoke weed everyday :)

BBS Signature
Nev
Nev
  • Member since: Jul. 23, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2007-09-10 10:03:16 Reply

At 9/10/07 09:53 AM, Chindamo wrote: PenisClown can be a popular general forum posting fabulous cock sucking future mod if he wants to, but when people hear my solo project and find out the guy who made it calls himself PenisClown I will kill myself.

Cause your NG alias totally dictates all other name choices in life...


Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy
PSN: Look-a-Hill
Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature
CoffinCreature
CoffinCreature
  • Member since: Sep. 10, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2007-09-10 10:04:39 Reply

At 9/10/07 10:03 AM, Nev wrote:
At 9/10/07 09:53 AM, Chindamo wrote: PenisClown can be a popular general forum posting fabulous cock sucking future mod if he wants to, but when people hear my solo project and find out the guy who made it calls himself PenisClown I will kill myself.
Cause your NG alias totally dictates all other name choices in life...

No, but I want to submit audio to the AP, and so everything I do in Forlorn Realms can be traced back to PenisClown.

DanAbnormal
DanAbnormal
  • Member since: Feb. 7, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2007-09-10 10:06:36 Reply

At 9/10/07 09:43 AM, Nev wrote: I thought Score was poo.
I just didn't think the sound quality was good enough.

I dunno, i've seen clips of the dvd on youtube and I noticed that the drums were too loud and you couldnt hear petrucci enough, but I dont know if that was a surround-sound recording or whatever.
Im talking about the CD mainly, as Score sounds much more like a concert and Budokan sounds very much like a studio album, i.e. no atmosphere or emotion, which i think is more apparent on Score.


BBS Signature
CoffinCreature
CoffinCreature
  • Member since: Sep. 10, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2007-09-10 10:09:09 Reply

.... That alt rampage never happened.

Dark-Phire
Dark-Phire
  • Member since: Mar. 3, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2007-09-10 11:47:32 Reply

I don't know why I dig long songs so much.
Funny thing is, all the long songs I found were (20min+) were by Progressive artists.
Coincidence? I THINK NOT.

The ones I currently have are...

Green Carnation's Light of Day, Day Darkness (60:06)
Edge of Sanity's Crimson II (43:00)
Dream Theater's 6DOIT (42:04)
Edge of Sanity's Crimson (40:00)
X Japan's Art of Life (28:56)
Liquid Tension Experiment's Three Minute Warning (28:00)
Dream Theater's Octavarium (24:00)
Dream Theater's A Change of Seasons (23:09)
Opeth's Black Rose Immortal (20:14)

All progressive metal.

Also, I think you guys should check out Green Carnation. Pretty artistic sounding stuff.

Any more suggestions?


BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Member since: Sep. 12, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 59
Audiophile
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2007-09-10 12:07:33 Reply

At 9/10/07 09:43 AM, Nev wrote: This isn't literature, this is music.

But for a concept album, it's important.

Well then you're the most pathetic person ever then.

Hahaha. The only pathetic people that exist are you and all the DT fanboys that are complete faggots.

I imagine you broke all your Metallica CD's when they released St Anger like all the queers on Some Kind of Monster?

Nope.

Don't be so closed minded.

Shut up faggot, I'm not closed minded.

Singing = No different to any other ballad-esque song DT go for.

It is different. The other ballads were fine, but Through Her Eyes has such fucking awful singing.

You play neither, and if you did you might have a faintest knowledge that Mike and John CAN'T play their instruments bad.

I can criticise instrumental performances whether I play a certain instrument or not.

Its chords, played no worse than John has ever played chords, and a simple beat from Mike to add some backing... its appropriate for the song... and that makes it good.

Mike's drumming could've been a lot better. If it was awesome like on Awake, I would've been ok with the drumming on the song.

Home is amazing. END.

Reason? Oh wait, there isn't a reason why it's amazing, because it's fucking shit.


[ BBS Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

Dark-Phire
Dark-Phire
  • Member since: Mar. 3, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2007-09-10 12:22:50 Reply

At 9/10/07 12:07 PM, Bahamut wrote: It is different. The other ballads were fine, but Through Her Eyes has such fucking awful singing.

I don't know why I think of 6DOIT when I'm listening to Scenes.
I some comparisons between both albums.

I. Overture

This is probably the only song that didn't really ring a bell between both albums.

II. About to Crash

Overture 1928, it seemed to model for it.

III. War Inside My Head

Fatal Tragedy, after the song kicks off.

IV. The Test That Stumped Them All

Fatal Tragedy again, with some very "Home" sounding vocals with some Beyong this Life thrown in. Al though not as fast as The Test that Stumped Them All, they seemed similar in techniques.

V. Goodnight Kiss

Through Her Eyes. Need I say more? As well as some "The Spirit Carries On" feel.

VI. Solitary Shell

Reminded me of Beyond This Life.

VII. About to Crash (Reprise)

Overture 1928.

VIII. Losing Time / Grand Finale - 6:01

Oh, VERY, very much like Finally Free and The Spirite Carries On. Wouldn't you agree?

In conclusion, SfaM > You.

Now, care to pee in my butt?

BBS Signature
DanAbnormal
DanAbnormal
  • Member since: Feb. 7, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2007-09-10 12:28:21 Reply

At 9/10/07 11:47 AM, Dark-Phire wrote: I don't know why I dig long songs so much.
Funny thing is, all the long songs I found were (20min+) were by Progressive artists.
Coincidence? I THINK NOT.

Long songs would have to be progressive in order to keep listeners interested, and on the other hand progressive artists like to have long songs in order to show off the composition, which happens to be progressive.

I heard about this doom metal band doing an hour+ song but I never checked it out.

At 9/10/07 12:07 PM, Bahamut wrote: Hahaha. The only pathetic people that exist are you and all the DT fanboys that are complete faggots.

I don't think it's much to do with being a fanboy, personally im just curious as to why you're so hostile to an album which really isn't any worse compared to the band's other work.
However, I don't think you're justified by making out other people are pathetic by laughing by calling them faggots. Honestly you can't get more pathetic than that.

Shut up faggot, I'm not closed minded.

To be quite honest, yes you are, someone who doesnt have a very sporadic music taste. Progressive music is all about diversity and it seems to me you don't like any changes in the music you listen to.

It is different. The other ballads were fine, but Through Her Eyes has such fucking awful singing.

That's a fair comment, if you don't like the singing then that's your opinion. It's a little unfair to judge an entire album on one song though.

Mike's drumming could've been a lot better. If it was awesome like on Awake, I would've been ok with the drumming on the song.

I thought the drumming on the song was great. There's no point in being blatantly pretentious with your abilities. Lets not forget Dream Theater are progressive, so their music is subject to change and be diverse, and open minded people can handle that.

Reason? Oh wait, there isn't a reason why it's amazing, because it's fucking shit.

Again more petty arguements. This really doesn't justify the claim you're making. I think people here dont have a gripe with you because you hate the album, they just think your claims are pathetic and unjust. We're just curious as to why you don't like it, and we'd appreciate some mature discussion.
I personally think Home is a great song. Very progressive, heavy and a beautiful usage of Phrygian scales to make the awesome mediterranian/eastern sound.


BBS Signature
Nev
Nev
  • Member since: Jul. 23, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2007-09-10 16:13:56 Reply

At 9/10/07 11:47 AM, Dark-Phire wrote:
Also, I think you guys should check out Green Carnation. Pretty artistic sounding stuff.

Light of Day... is really good :).

Any more suggestions?

The Odyssey and The Divine Wings of Tragedy are worth checking out.

At 9/10/07 12:07 PM, Bahamut wrote: But for a concept album, it's important.

I'm sure when DT had the idea to write a concept album they thought 'Hey, lets make this albums instrumental parts reflect the story and reference to the original on Images and Words.
And thats what they did... they're musicians, not authors, I doubt they gave a shit about how amazing the story was.

Hahaha. The only pathetic people that exist are you and all the DT fanboys that are complete faggots.

What exactly makes me pathetic to you?
Lets make a list:
Liking Scenes from a Memory.

... I'm out.

Shut up faggot, I'm not closed minded.

You're a homophobe.
Homophobes = close minded by default.

Reason? Oh wait, there isn't a reason why it's amazing, because it's fucking shit.

I think the reason why I like it the most is because of the middle section where it mimmicks Metropolis.
And it has a sexy Easten vibe as Dan said.


Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy
PSN: Look-a-Hill
Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature
Dark-Phire
Dark-Phire
  • Member since: Mar. 3, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2007-09-10 16:28:02 Reply

At 9/10/07 04:13 PM, Nev wrote: Light of Day... is really good :).

Glad you think so.

The Odyssey and The Divine Wings of Tragedy are worth checking out.

Oh shi-! Forgot to these Symphony X songs.

There's actually a list of long songs this guy put out.
The problem is, I can't tell which ones are good or not. :(
http://www.dprp.net/longsongs/longsongs.
php


BBS Signature
Nev
Nev
  • Member since: Jul. 23, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2007-09-10 16:40:06 Reply

Whilst we're on the topic of Scenes from a Memory.
DT have just added a new CD to their cataloge at Ytsejam Records.
Falling Into Infinity Demos.

I say this because it has the original version of Scenes from a Memory on it... before it became the full length album.


Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy
PSN: Look-a-Hill
Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature
Life-Stream
Life-Stream
  • Member since: Nov. 9, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2007-09-10 16:48:58 Reply

At 9/10/07 12:28 PM, DanAbnormal wrote:
Alot of stuff about Bahamut and his whining.

I agree with everything Dan just said. He´s an intelligent guy this Dan.

At 9/10/07 04:28 PM, Dark-Phire wrote:
There's actually a list of long songs this guy put out.
The problem is, I can't tell which ones are good or not. :(
http://www.dprp.net/longsongs/longsongs.
php

Holy crap. There are alot of long songs there. But how is the first song possible?

420 minutes? Thats 8 hours and 20 minutes! That can´t even fit onto any CD....WTF?!

Dark-Phire
Dark-Phire
  • Member since: Mar. 3, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2007-09-10 17:01:15 Reply

At 9/10/07 04:40 PM, Nev wrote: I say this because it has the original version of Scenes from a Memory on it... before it became the full length album.

Nice find. I'll see if I can leech of anybody's paypal to get it.

At 9/10/07 04:48 PM, Life-Stream wrote: 420 minutes? Thats 8 hours and 20 minutes! That can´t even fit onto any CD....WTF?!

Technology I guess.
You're supposed to sleep threw it. :O
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somnium_%28 Rich%29


BBS Signature
Life-Stream
Life-Stream
  • Member since: Nov. 9, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2007-09-10 17:20:14 Reply

At 9/10/07 05:01 PM, Dark-Phire wrote:
Technology I guess.
You're supposed to sleep threw it. :O
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somnium_%28 Rich%29

Wow.....sleep through it....first time i heard that. Apparantley it helps you with dreams somehow. sounds cool. I´d like to hear it....or well sleep-hear it.

DanAbnormal
DanAbnormal
  • Member since: Feb. 7, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2007-09-10 17:57:55 Reply

At 9/10/07 05:20 PM, Life-Stream wrote: Wow.....sleep through it....first time i heard that. Apparantley it helps you with dreams somehow. sounds cool. I´d like to hear it....or well sleep-hear it.

As much as it sounds like a good experience, I just know it wouldn't work for me, as I wouldn't just be able to subconciously listen to it.


BBS Signature
Nev
Nev
  • Member since: Jul. 23, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2007-09-10 18:02:00 Reply

At 9/10/07 05:57 PM, DanAbnormal wrote: As much as it sounds like a good experience, I just know it wouldn't work for me, as I wouldn't just be able to subconciously listen to it.

I was on the train yesterday night, and I'd not slept any the night before.
And the first half hour when I wasn't reading, and just listening to music, I obviously kept falling asleep cause half an hour passed by in about a minute. Yet each time I like nodded back into consciousness the song I was listening to didn't seem to skip any.

So I feel I may of been subconsciously listening. Though I dunno... maybe I was just fortunate and fell asleep in the chorus and woke up the same time in the next one or something :P


Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy
PSN: Look-a-Hill
Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature
DanAbnormal
DanAbnormal
  • Member since: Feb. 7, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2007-09-10 18:07:32 Reply

At 9/10/07 06:02 PM, Nev wrote: I was on the train yesterday night, and I'd not slept any the night before.
And the first half hour when I wasn't reading, and just listening to music, I obviously kept falling asleep cause half an hour passed by in about a minute. Yet each time I like nodded back into consciousness the song I was listening to didn't seem to skip any.

So I feel I may of been subconsciously listening. Though I dunno... maybe I was just fortunate and fell asleep in the chorus and woke up the same time in the next one or something :P

Yeah I know what you mean. A few times i've heard music playing while i've been asleep, usually on long distance travels. It's quite an odd sensation and it doesn't seem like time has passed.
Im guessing the ambient 7 hour track would be great in that occasion, it's just that that sort of occasion is terribly hard to be contrived.


BBS Signature
Nev
Nev
  • Member since: Jul. 23, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2007-09-10 18:12:48 Reply

At 9/10/07 06:07 PM, DanAbnormal wrote: Im guessing the ambient 7 hour track would be great in that occasion, it's just that that sort of occasion is terribly hard to be contrived.

Just get on the train from London to Edinburgh one day (don't sleep the one before) and hope its not attacked my terrorists :P.


Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy
PSN: Look-a-Hill
Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Member since: Sep. 12, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 59
Audiophile
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2007-09-11 12:14:17 Reply

At 9/6/07 03:05 PM, Nev wrote: A - Cause it gets him attention which he thrives off.

Hmm.

At 9/10/07 04:40 PM, Nev wrote: Falling Into Infinity Demos.

To be honest, this interests me and I might get it to find out what the original SFAM is like.


[ BBS Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

Life-Stream
Life-Stream
  • Member since: Nov. 9, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2007-09-11 14:36:41 Reply

At 9/11/07 12:14 PM, Bahamut wrote:
To be honest, this interests me and I might get it to find out what the original SFAM is like.

LMFAO!

Life-Stream
Life-Stream
  • Member since: Nov. 9, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2007-09-12 16:52:18 Reply

Ok, so i´ve been meaning to ask you lot, if you would like to see a flash made to any DT song, which would it be? Cos i´ve been thinking of doing just that, but i can´t decide which one to make the flash too. I´ve been thinking of maybe ´Pull me under´ or ´Surrounded´, both from I&W. I don´t know why, but those 2 songs get my imagination running and i imagine scenes and stuff....

So, which song and why?

DanAbnormal
DanAbnormal
  • Member since: Feb. 7, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2007-09-12 17:07:32 Reply

At 9/12/07 04:52 PM, Life-Stream wrote: Ok, so i´ve been meaning to ask you lot, if you would like to see a flash made to any DT song, which would it be? Cos i´ve been thinking of doing just that, but i can´t decide which one to make the flash too. I´ve been thinking of maybe ´Pull me under´ or ´Surrounded´, both from I&W. I don´t know why, but those 2 songs get my imagination running and i imagine scenes and stuff....

So, which song and why?

I always thought The Glass Prison would be a good one, cos the metaphors in the song are quite apparent and that would help enormously with creating imagery in the flash.
Although the instrumental section would be a nightmare to fill up with animation...


BBS Signature
Nev
Nev
  • Member since: Jul. 23, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2007-09-12 17:29:05 Reply

At 9/12/07 05:07 PM, DanAbnormal wrote: I always thought The Glass Prison would be a good one, cos the metaphors in the song are quite apparent and that would help enormously with creating imagery in the flash.
Although the instrumental section would be a nightmare to fill up with animation...

The length in general (minus the instrumental sections) is pretty much for a flash.
But to expand... something from the second disc of Six Degrees would be perfect too.
They're shorter and it would be pretty easy to develop a visual form of them. War Inside My Head would be the most exciting one for a flash in my opinion.
The rest would just be people being depressing, crying or being confused.
You get Vietnam flashbacks and beer in WIMH.


Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy
PSN: Look-a-Hill
Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature
Dark-Phire
Dark-Phire
  • Member since: Mar. 3, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2007-09-12 18:32:36 Reply

Instrumedley


BBS Signature
Life-Stream
Life-Stream
  • Member since: Nov. 9, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2007-09-13 16:29:12 Reply

At 9/12/07 05:07 PM, DanAbnormal wrote:
I always thought The Glass Prison would be a good one, cos the metaphors in the song are quite apparent and that would help enormously with creating imagery in the flash.
Although the instrumental section would be a nightmare to fill up with animation...

Great track but waaay too long. I´m looking for somthing shorter, like maximum 6 minutes.

At 9/12/07 05:29 PM, Nev wrote:
The length in general (minus the instrumental sections) is pretty much for a flash.
But to expand... something from the second disc of Six Degrees would be perfect too.
They're shorter and it would be pretty easy to develop a visual form of them. War Inside My Head would be the most exciting one for a flash in my opinion.

I dunno, i don´t think it´s the best to make a flash too. It´s not DT´s best, although the 2 minute length makes it quite easy.

The rest would just be people being depressing, crying or being confused.
You get Vietnam flashbacks and beer in WIMH.

I´m no good at drawing war stuff.

At 9/12/07 06:32 PM, Dark-Phire wrote: Instrumedley

A bit long.....i think. I can´t remember how long exaclty, but i´d prefer it with James, so people know what DT is really like. I´d want to make a flash to a great track that would make people want to listen to DT after watching it.