New Topic Respond to this Topic
Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 12th, 2006 @ 09:32 AM Reply

At 8/12/06 08:55 AM, Crashedd wrote: ... being Octavarium (Hope I spelt that right)

You did :).

and, as such, I'm in the process of learning Panic Attack for a band that I'm in.

I want a 7 string so I can attempt to cover A Change of Seasons. Bore the audience (not that its boring... people just have bad taste don't they?).

So can I join?

Of course, welcome.

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy
PSN: Look-a-Hill
Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature
Crashedd
Crashedd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 12th, 2006 @ 09:59 AM Reply

At 8/12/06 09:32 AM, -Nev- wrote: I want a 7 string so I can attempt to cover A Change of Seasons. Bore the audience (not that its boring... people just have bad taste don't they?).

Attempt a cover.... Oh shit! You play guitar? I play bass and I know John plays a 6 string bass, I've only a 5 string bass. Well, the one with the most strings has 5. ^_^

Of course, welcome.

Cheers!

You play any DT covers in your band?

Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 12th, 2006 @ 10:12 AM Reply

At 8/12/06 09:59 AM, Crashedd wrote: Attempt a cover.... Oh shit! You play guitar? I play bass and I know John plays a 6 string bass, I've only a 5 string bass. Well, the one with the most strings has 5. ^_^

I play guitar and bass, although I'm much better at guitar than bass. Though I'm quite efficient at bass.
I've only got a 4 string at the moment, and I'd like a six string, but I have very small hands and fingers and I don't think I'd be able to play on six string. So I'm gonna try and get a five sometime. Although if I can play a six with ease, I'll probaly get one. More versatility :D.

You play any DT covers in your band?

Well both of my bands are kinda dead at the moment. The one I play bass in is a Progressive Death/Black Metal band, and so we won't be doing DT covers.
My other band which has become more of a solo project is also dead, as its a solo project. So I'm saving up to get a home studio in which I can begin writing songs and recording, mixing them, etc. At which point I'll try to get it going on a live circuit. Thus I'll be delighted to play some DT. Thats the reason I want a 7-string. To play Vai and Petrucci stuff. Although I doubt I'm up to the task of playing any DT songs... maybe something like Pull Me Under. Although ACoS and Erotmania would be great to play live.... and Metropolis (hell, we can dream :P).

BBS Signature
Crashedd
Crashedd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 12th, 2006 @ 10:30 AM Reply

At 8/12/06 10:12 AM, -Nev- wrote: I play guitar and bass, although I'm much better at guitar than bass. Though I'm quite efficient at bass.

Efficient?... Oh you play with a pick yes? =p

I've only got a 4 string at the moment, and I'd like a six string, but I have very small hands and fingers and I don't think I'd be able to play on six string. So I'm gonna try and get a five sometime. Although if I can play a six with ease, I'll probaly get one. More versatility :D.

Scope out Olp 5 strings, they have really small spacing. Though I want a musicman one prefferbly...

Well both of my bands are kinda dead at the moment. The one I play bass in is a Progressive Death/Black Metal band, and so we won't be doing DT covers.
My other band which has become more of a solo project is also dead, as its a solo project. So I'm saving up to get a home studio in which I can begin writing songs and recording, mixing them, etc. At which point I'll try to get it going on a live circuit. Thus I'll be delighted to play some DT. Thats the reason I want a 7-string. To play Vai and Petrucci stuff. Although I doubt I'm up to the task of playing any DT songs... maybe something like Pull Me Under. Although ACoS and Erotmania would be great to play live.... and Metropolis (hell, we can dream :P).

Vai! I went to see him in october past, played for 3 hours :)

Personally, a 5 string is ample for playing -MOST- styles of music. :P

WorldOutkast
WorldOutkast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 12th, 2006 @ 10:55 AM Reply

There's a club about this band? Well sign me up.

Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 12th, 2006 @ 11:05 AM Reply

At 8/12/06 10:30 AM, Crashedd wrote: Efficient?... Oh you play with a pick yes? =p

Haha, no. I detest plectrum bass players. With a plectrum I'd be great. But thats boring. Plus Cliff Burton never used a plectrum, why should I?
So by efficient I meant with my fingers :P.

Scope out Olp 5 strings, they have really small spacing. Though I want a musicman one prefferbly...

I shall look. I don't like Musicman's. I like Ibanez, Aria, Rickenbacker and Warwicks.

Personally, a 5 string is ample for playing -MOST- styles of music. :P

But a 6 string offers a bit more :P.

At 8/12/06 10:55 AM, WorldOutkast wrote: There's a club about this band? Well sign me up.

*Signs up.*
Welcome.

BBS Signature
Crashedd
Crashedd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 12th, 2006 @ 11:53 AM Reply

At 8/12/06 11:05 AM, -Nev- wrote: Haha, no. I detest plectrum bass players. With a plectrum I'd be great. But thats boring. Plus Cliff Burton never used a plectrum, why should I?
So by efficient I meant with my fingers :P.

Funny, thats the same reason why I play with my fingers.

I shall look. I don't like Musicman's. I like Ibanez, Aria, Rickenbacker and Warwicks.

Not fender??!?!?

But a 6 string offers a bit more :P.

Its not quantity, but quality that counts!

At 8/12/06 10:55 AM, WorldOutkast wrote: There's a club about this band? Well sign me up.

Bonjour! Ca va? Whats your fave album?

Just started listening to Overture 1928 on Scenes From A Memory. Short and sweet! Now for some Change of Seasons. And now to get some tea. W00T! ^^

LavaTemplar
LavaTemplar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 12th, 2006 @ 12:51 PM Reply

Ahhhh! This is awesome! Dream Theater is the band that got me into listening to music. May I please join?

Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 12th, 2006 @ 01:01 PM Reply

At 8/12/06 11:53 AM, Crashedd wrote: Funny, thats the same reason why I play with my fingers.

Well, Cliff is God.

Not fender??!?!?

I don't like em. I like my basses with 24 frets.

Its not quantity, but quality that counts!

I prefer both :P. Although I did some research on Warwick six strings and they look totally unplayable. So I'm thinking of getting a Warwick (Rockbass) 5 String Corvette :D.

At 8/12/06 12:51 PM, LavaTemplar wrote: Ahhhh! This is awesome! Dream Theater is the band that got me into listening to music. May I please join?

Three new members in one day, excellent, Graeme would be delighted.

BBS Signature
LavaTemplar
LavaTemplar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 12th, 2006 @ 01:19 PM Reply

Awesome. So, one thing I love about Dream Theater is the powerful moments in most of their music. Another Day instantly became my favorite song when James LaBrie nailed that high note and Kevin Moore struck up those huge chords (it's at around 2:06). That gives me huge chills every single time I hear it.

Some other KICKASS moments are in Overture 1928 at 2:08, that whole line is insanely cool especially with Petrucci's solo afterward. Also in Strange Deja Vu, the two parts with "Today I am searching for it/A feeling that won't go away" and "I just can't help myself/I'm feeling like I'm going out of my head" verses always hit me deep down.

Lastly I always get pumped up in These Walls when LaBrie sings "Watch me fading, I'm losing all my instincts falling into darkness," I just feel like there's alot of energy behind that line (and the two or three variations of it).

So yeah. There's alot more but those are the prominent ones.

Crashedd
Crashedd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 12th, 2006 @ 01:35 PM Reply

At 8/12/06 01:01 PM, -Nev- wrote:
Three new members in one day, excellent, Graeme would be delighted.

Who be this Graeme?

Oh, and is their like a hirearchy to this club?
(I cant spell today... i cracked my head off a chair a coupla days ago and its fucking with my spelling) =S

Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 12th, 2006 @ 03:24 PM Reply

At 8/12/06 01:19 PM, LavaTemplar wrote: So yeah. There's alot more but those are the prominent ones.

For powerful moments my two favourite have to be:

A Change of Seasons, about 15 minutes in: 'I'm sick of all you hypocrites; holding me at baaayy. I don't need your sympathy; to get me through the day! Seasons change and so can I. Hold on boy no time to cry!'

Love that, especially since thats basically how I feel about life. People can change, we evolve.. our tastes, our bodies, its natural and we shouldn't let people who call us for changing stop us..... thats what I get from it anyway.

My second favourite is the bit in Pull Me Under:
'Watch the sparrow falling, gives new meaning to it all...'

Has no meaning for me personally, but it sounds amazing :D.

At 8/12/06 01:35 PM, Crashedd wrote: Who be this Graeme?

The person who started this club.

Oh, and is their like a hirearchy to this club?
(I cant spell today... i cracked my head off a chair a coupla days ago and its fucking with my spelling) =S

I don't think there is. Graeme's the leader and thats, that as far as I'm aware.

BBS Signature
LavaTemplar
LavaTemplar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 12th, 2006 @ 03:54 PM Reply

Yeah I have alot of Dream Theater songs that I feel like I can relate to. Let's see...

I had some weird issues with my group of friends last year, and Octavarium like perfectly describes it (with the exception of the parts about being medicated and everything lol). I kinda got chills when I listened to it after one particular incident.

A good inspirational one is Hollow Years. The chorus part about suddenly just letting everything go and suddenly realizing everything is getting better from here is something that has definitely happened to me.

Others include:
-The Answer Lies Within
-These Walls
-A Change of Seasons
-Metropolis pt. 1
-I Walk Beside You
-The Root of All Evil
-Another Day
-Lifting Shadows Off A Dream
and alot more.

Most really awesome songs can relate to a multitude of things you've experienced. Alot of these can relate to lots of different things depending on how you interpret them.

Crashedd
Crashedd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 12th, 2006 @ 09:18 PM Reply

Most really awesome songs can relate to a multitude of things you've experienced. Alot of these can relate to lots of different things depending on how you interpret them.

I agree, some songs just remind me of good times. Its cool when you're down in the dumps and a song pulls you outta it.

LavaTemplar
LavaTemplar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 12th, 2006 @ 09:45 PM Reply

Yeah, or when a song inspires you to do something that results in something good.

Crashedd
Crashedd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 12th, 2006 @ 10:25 PM Reply

At 8/12/06 09:45 PM, LavaTemplar wrote: Yeah, or when a song inspires you to do something that results in something good.

Yeah... you're right... That reminds me of something I gotta do.

Anyway! Do you play any instruments? I play bass. =)

LavaTemplar
LavaTemplar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 12th, 2006 @ 10:44 PM Reply

Well I actually play french horn, but I used to play piano and drums. Never really got into those though.

I kinda wish I'd stayed with piano cuz I was really awesome even won some awards but I was like 3 or 4 lol. Now that I hear how much keyboards contribute to a rock band, I wish I had kept it up so I could maybe contribute to some bands my friends have.

It's crazy, most of Dream Theater's fans are musicians. I was actually introduced to them by some kids from band class.

Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 12th, 2006 @ 10:49 PM Reply

At 8/12/06 10:44 PM, LavaTemplar wrote: It's crazy, most of Dream Theater's fans are musicians. I was actually introduced to them by some kids from band class.

Its cause of the high technicality and instrumental parts in the songs. Most people can't tolerate it.

Get learning piano any or keyboard. You'll love it. I wanna start piano, its a nice instrument... and I could sing and play Wait For Sleep :D.

BBS Signature
LavaTemplar
LavaTemplar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 12th, 2006 @ 10:55 PM Reply

And Space-Dye Vest. That's some kickass piano playing right there.

Scenes From A Memory has some of the greatest keyboard parts I've ever heard.

It's interesting, most bands that don't have a keyboard just sound.... empty. There's something missing from their sound, and I just can't like it very much.

As to picking up piano again, I don't know if I have time, but my brother might be getting a keyboard that lets you teach yourself (he wants to be a music major and knowing piano is extremely helpful), so I'd probably check it out then.

Crashedd
Crashedd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 13th, 2006 @ 07:38 AM Reply

At 8/12/06 10:55 PM, LavaTemplar wrote: It's interesting, most bands that don't have a keyboard just sound.... empty. There's something missing from their sound, and I just can't like it very much.

You mean to say that you dont like Metallica, Megadeth and uh... uh...
Shit, I gots nothing. =)

I guess you could play piano parts on guitar, just its a bit to get the tone and sustain correct.

LavaTemplar
LavaTemplar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 13th, 2006 @ 01:32 PM Reply

At 8/13/06 07:38 AM, Crashedd wrote:
At 8/12/06 10:55 PM, LavaTemplar wrote: It's interesting, most bands that don't have a keyboard just sound.... empty. There's something missing from their sound, and I just can't like it very much.
You mean to say that you dont like Metallica, Megadeth and uh... uh...

Unfortunately, yes. I have lots of respect for them but I don't really like their music.

Crashedd
Crashedd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 13th, 2006 @ 07:45 PM Reply

At 8/13/06 01:32 PM, LavaTemplar wrote: Unfortunately, yes. I have lots of respect for them but I don't really like their music.

Unfortunately? Ah well.

LavaTemplar
LavaTemplar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 20th, 2006 @ 11:15 AM Reply

So what other bands do you guys like? I'm a big Rush fan myself, as well as Boston, Chicago, and Symphony X.

Shredding-Death
Shredding-Death
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 20th, 2006 @ 04:19 PM Reply

Hello, I'd like to join. I am a huge fan of Dream Theater, I have Images and Words and Scenes from a Memory, both are great. I also play guitar in a band and we covered Metropolis, Pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper.

Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 20th, 2006 @ 04:22 PM Reply

At 8/20/06 04:19 PM, Shredding_Death wrote: Hello, I'd like to join. I am a huge fan of Dream Theater, I have Images and Words and Scenes from a Memory, both are great.

Welcome

I also play guitar in a band and we covered Metropolis, Pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper.

Did you cover that amazing harmonised Petrucci+Moore solo? And all those sexy time changes :D.

BBS Signature
Shredding-Death
Shredding-Death
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 20th, 2006 @ 04:41 PM Reply

Welcome

I also play guitar in a band and we covered Metropolis, Pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper.
Did you cover that amazing harmonised Petrucci+Moore solo? And all those sexy time changes :D.

Haha yes, but sadly my band is currently without a keyboardist so I have no harmony to it, my other guitarist wouldn't be able to play it, but still it is a very fun/weird solo. It's not that hard of a solo, the one run at about 4:42 is harder I think and at 7:23 that section is the most confusing piece of music I ever had to memorize.

GraemeW
GraemeW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 26th, 2006 @ 10:25 AM Reply

At 8/12/06 01:35 PM, Crashedd wrote: Who be this Graeme?

I be this Graeme. :]

Hey everyone! I know I haven't posted for a while. I've been really busy with summer homework, and getting back into school and whatnot. But I'm not as busy now so I'll be able to post again!

So, I've still been listening to A Change of Seasons a lot. Each time I listen to it, I hear something new. I love that song. And I've also recently picked up listening to Dragonforce. I think they're pretty cool. Li is an amazing guitarist.

Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 26th, 2006 @ 11:47 AM Reply

At 8/26/06 10:25 AM, Graeme_W wrote: And I've also recently picked up listening to Dragonforce.

For sure. I love them! Its fun music and its great to sing along to :D.
Plus if you've ever read anything that Sam and Herman say its hilarious - in interviews or in the Inhuman Rampage booklet.

I think they're pretty cool. Li is an amazing guitarist.

Herman is indeed amazing. But Sam is just as good.

BBS Signature
GraemeW
GraemeW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 26th, 2006 @ 08:55 PM Reply

At 8/26/06 11:47 AM, -Nev- wrote: Herman is indeed amazing. But Sam is just as good.

Yeah, Sam's good. I think that Herman gets all the publicity, though because of the solo in "Through the Fire and the Flames."

Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 26th, 2006 @ 09:26 PM Reply

At 8/26/06 08:55 PM, Graeme_W wrote: Yeah, Sam's good. I think that Herman gets all the publicity, though because of the solo in "Through the Fire and the Flames."

And cause its not cool to worship the drunk idiot from England.
But the fact that Sam can play just as fast, and harmonise (upside down on the fretboard no less) with Herman is good.
I think the think that sets Herman apart is the cool sound effects he makes - like the Pacman one - and also that ace thing his does with the whammy bar.

I get the honour of seeing them live in December :D. And I saw them at Download :) Fun band.

On topic with DT... I was gonna get Awake the other day. But I'd already bought Inhuman Rampage, and I didn't want to look like a tit and buy something straight after I'd already bought something.
But I saw Awake was on offer (2 for £10) and I decided I'd come back after I went to the cinema to buy it. Trouble was shops closed after 6pm, so I couldn't :(.

BBS Signature