New Topic Respond to this Topic
Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to Dream Theater Crew Jun. 28th, 2006 @ 09:35 AM Reply

At 6/28/06 09:10 AM, insert_pie wrote: Unfortunately, the last note on Octavarium is the same as the first on the album, but it's a wiked idea to have those few albums linked like that. It's the subtle things like that which make me like Dream Theater even more.

I knew about albums from Scenes of a Memory to Octovarium linking together, but I didn't know Octovarium was linked to their first album, heh. That idea with linking albums together seems to be a crazy idea, but once I get those newer albums, I'll probably feel like I'm listening to one big album. However, I think I'll try and get Awake album next.

[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

GraemeW
GraemeW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Jun. 28th, 2006 @ 01:06 PM Reply

Yeah, I love the whole linking thing. Can you tell me something, guys? I know that Dream Theater says "fuck" like twice on Train of Thought, but how much do they swear on other albums other than Train and Scenes? I have been wondering this. It was odd, because when my parents bought me Train of Thought (yeah, my parenst are cool) it had no "parental warning: explicit content" sticker on it. I found this strange, even though they only drop the F-Bomb twice.

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to Dream Theater Crew Jun. 29th, 2006 @ 05:30 AM Reply

At 6/28/06 01:06 PM, Graeme_W wrote: Yeah, I love the whole linking thing. Can you tell me something, guys? I know that Dream Theater says "fuck" like twice on Train of Thought, but how much do they swear on other albums other than Train and Scenes?

Try taking a look at Dark Lyrics. I did see the word fuck used twice on the Train of Thought album. Heh, I didn't think Dream Theater were a band that would use swearing in their songs, although it was just two songs from the Train of Thought album.

it had no "parental warning: explicit content" sticker on it. I found this strange, even though they only drop the F-Bomb twice.

I know, I have got albums that have LOADS of swearing and there isn't even a Parental Advisary warning sign on it. XD But one album I have doesn't have any swearing on the album at all, but has the Parental Advisary sticker on it. It was only because of the extra features it has when you put the CD in the computer.

Formerly Bahamut

GraemeW
GraemeW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Jun. 29th, 2006 @ 02:48 PM Reply

Hehe, that's strange. Yeah, I wouldn't have thought that they'd swear a lot either. But it's just a word, after all. I don't really prefer swearing in the music I listen to, unless it's just to express emotion, because I use "fuck" if I'm mad all the time. But I think rap music uses swearing too much just to describe being high and "bitches." You know what I mean?

Metaljonus
Metaljonus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Dream Theater Crew Jun. 29th, 2006 @ 02:54 PM Reply

can I join? I love DT one of my favorite bands.

GraemeW
GraemeW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Jun. 29th, 2006 @ 07:53 PM Reply

At 6/29/06 02:54 PM, Metaljonus wrote: can I join? I love DT one of my favorite bands.

Sure! Welcome aboard. So tell us about your Dream Theater repertoire. What albums do you have, and what are your favourite songs?

Metaljonus
Metaljonus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Dream Theater Crew Jun. 30th, 2006 @ 05:10 AM Reply

well i've seen em live a few times and what badass shows, I got almost all of the albums except the first one and train of thought since I kinda lost it......doh! My favorite song has to be a change of seasons and Scenes from a memory pt1.

GraemeW
GraemeW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Jun. 30th, 2006 @ 09:33 AM Reply

That's cool. Yeah, I saw them in concert when they opened with Yes (my favourite band) a couple years ago at Blossom (it's in Ohio). It was crazy. So loud, and so good. It made me want to piss myself it was so cool. HAHA.

GraemeW
GraemeW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Jul. 2nd, 2006 @ 04:12 PM Reply

So, apparently "The Glass Prison" is talking about a battle with alcoholism? Was someone in the band an alcoholic? Anyone know? I just found that interesting.

But after listening to the lyrics again, I suppose it makes sense.

Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Jul. 2nd, 2006 @ 04:28 PM Reply

At 7/2/06 04:12 PM, Graeme_W wrote: So, apparently "The Glass Prison" is talking about a battle with alcoholism? Was someone in the band an alcoholic? Anyone know? I just found that interesting.

But after listening to the lyrics again, I suppose it makes sense.

I just had a little gander on Wiki. And its about the first three steps of the twelve step program. Written by Portnoy. So he was the alcohol.

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy
PSN: Look-a-Hill
Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature
GraemeW
GraemeW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Jul. 2nd, 2006 @ 08:10 PM Reply

At 7/2/06 04:28 PM, -Nev- wrote: I just had a little gander on Wiki. And its about the first three steps of the twelve step program. Written by Portnoy. So he was the alcohol.

Very interesting. Thanks for the info, -Nev-. Hehe, it's odd where some people get inspiration for songwriting. But it's a really kickass song.

Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Jul. 3rd, 2006 @ 10:19 AM Reply

At 7/2/06 08:10 PM, Graeme_W wrote: Very interesting. Thanks for the info, -Nev-. Hehe, it's odd where some people get inspiration for songwriting. But it's a really kickass song.

Alcoholism is a popular subject in most bands.

Sex, drugs and rock n' roll at the beinging.
Then the mature tales about the sexs, drugs, rock n' roll later on. :P

BBS Signature
Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Jul. 3rd, 2006 @ 11:38 AM Reply

I copied Images and Words for my mum so she can listen to Dream Theater in the car :D. Since I'm forcing them on her and she likes them a bit. Also its something for me to listen to when I go out for a drive with her. Plus no one touches my CD's! Ever. I burn them to the PC and then they never come out their cases again.

Anyway, today I was listening in the car just now. And I don't think I've ever realised how amazing Portnoy's drumming is. I mean, I always knew it was technically proficient. But its like a song on its own. Its just wonderful to listen to.

Then again I suppose every instrument in the band is that way. God they're good!

BBS Signature
GraemeW
GraemeW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Jul. 5th, 2006 @ 12:16 AM Reply

Haha, yeah, they're amazing. You're right, Portnoy's drumming is like a separate song. It's amazing. Sorry for not posting in a couple days. My computer was screwed up and I had to reformat it. =\

GraemeW
GraemeW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Jul. 14th, 2006 @ 02:10 PM Reply

Rest in peace, Dream Theater thread. Apparently, hardly anyone listens to good music on NG...

a sad day it is...
Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Jul. 14th, 2006 @ 03:07 PM Reply

At 7/14/06 02:10 PM, Graeme_W wrote: Rest in peace, Dream Theater thread. Apparently, hardly anyone listens to good music on NG...

a sad day it is...

Not necessarily. Lots of clubs have slow progress. We just need to stick with it... I'm sure theres loads of DT fans about. They just need to see this club.

So chin up :D.
'So die Another Day' :P.

BBS Signature
DaRk
DaRk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Jul. 14th, 2006 @ 11:01 PM Reply

I have them live doing masxter of puppets, it sounded better than metallica.

BBS Signature
Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Jul. 14th, 2006 @ 11:07 PM Reply

At 7/14/06 11:01 PM, _DaRk_ wrote: I have them live doing masxter of puppets, it sounded better than metallica.

Ditto. Its good, but the version I have you can't hear James vocals. Its drowned out by the crowd.

Though I disagree with the better than Metallica statement. Metallica do it amazing live... the song and the entire album... all the way through... in order... with the full version of Orion.

Saw them at Download... amazing :D.

BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to Dream Theater Crew Jul. 15th, 2006 @ 05:10 AM Reply

At 7/14/06 02:10 PM, Graeme_W wrote: Rest in peace, Dream Theater thread. Apparently, hardly anyone listens to good music on NG...

There are people who listen to good music on NG (I hardly see anyone liking a lot of rap music here), people just need to know about Dream Theater more on the BBS.

At 7/14/06 11:01 PM, _DaRk_ wrote: I have them live doing masxter of puppets, it sounded better than metallica.

I want to see them performing Master of Puppets and The Number of the Beast. I think it's on a DVD only, but that's fine enough.

Formerly Bahamut

GraemeW
GraemeW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Jul. 15th, 2006 @ 09:24 AM Reply

Omg, people actually posted again! I am amazed. You have life in you yet, thread!

Insert-Pie
Insert-Pie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Jul. 17th, 2006 @ 07:37 AM Reply

Yeah, I'd post in this thread more if I could think of anything to post.

Anyway, when Octavarium came out last year, I Immediately bought it. Personally, I think it's a bit plain, that is, of course, by Dream Theater standards. If any other band had released it, it would be a great achievment, but for Dream Theater, it seemed fairly ordinary. It wasn't until the other day when I found this site (http://dt.spatang.com/octavarium.php) that I began to apreciate it a little more.

I still stand by my stance that it's not the best Dream Theater album, but the complexity of the subtle, and almost hidden, details is impressive.

GraemeW
GraemeW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Jul. 18th, 2006 @ 01:25 AM Reply

I still don't have Octavarium. My girlfriend bought it over in Germany (CD's are dirt cheap over there) and she says it's good. Hmm, maybe I'll get a copy to see for myself.

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to Dream Theater Crew Jul. 18th, 2006 @ 06:19 AM Reply

I'll need to get Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. On the Last.fm radio, I just listened to The Glass Prison and I think that song is great! :) Too bad I've only seen it in one shop out in town for £23. :(

Formerly Bahamut

ScukMafioso
ScukMafioso
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Jul. 18th, 2006 @ 07:56 AM Reply

DREAM THEATER RULES!!! JP! JP! JP!

My mate is a bigger fan of Dream Theater than me though...you should see some of his band videos =D

E-Mail The above post can in no way be held against the user in a court of law. So fuck you Po-Leeece.

BBS Signature
Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Jul. 18th, 2006 @ 08:29 AM Reply

At 7/18/06 06:19 AM, Bahamut- wrote: I'll need to get Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. On the Last.fm radio, I just listened to The Glass Prison and I think that song is great! :) Too bad I've only seen it in one shop out in town for £23. :(

Nasty. Thats a rather riduculous price.
Its only £16 on Play. A much nicer price.
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

At 7/18/06 07:56 AM, scukmafioso wrote: DREAM THEATER RULES!!! JP! JP! JP!

My mate is a bigger fan of Dream Theater than me though...you should see some of his band videos =D

Welcome.

BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to Dream Theater Crew Jul. 18th, 2006 @ 08:33 AM Reply

At 7/18/06 08:29 AM, -Nev- wrote: Nasty. Thats a rather riduculous price.

Of course, that was from fucking Virgin. I did see other Dream Theater albums of theirs at £17 (Train of Thought and Octovarium), but at least I got Scenes from a Memory for £7 there when it was on sale.

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

I can get it for around £10 on Amazon. :)

Formerly Bahamut

GraemeW
GraemeW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 9th, 2006 @ 12:18 AM Reply

I saw Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence at Borders for about $25. What is that? About 16 pounds, eh? A bit expensive, I believe.

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 9th, 2006 @ 07:43 AM Reply

At 8/9/06 12:18 AM, Graeme_W wrote: I saw Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence at Borders for about $25. What is that? About 16 pounds, eh?

£16 is an ok price since it does have 2CDs. I think £13 is a more reasonable price. I wouldn't mind getting the CD for around £16, but for £23? Fuck off Virgin.

I did see Octavarium in the shops yesterday for £9, but there were two reasons why I didn't get it:

1. I didn't want to spend too much money yesterday.
2. The case was damaged. :| But if the disc was fine, then I wouldn't be so bothered about the quite broken case.

Formerly Bahamut

Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 9th, 2006 @ 07:48 AM Reply

At 8/9/06 07:43 AM, Bahamut- wrote: £16 is an ok price since it does have 2CDs. I think £13 is a more reasonable price. I wouldn't mind getting the CD for around £16, but for £23? Fuck off Virgin.

Virgin and HMV are overpriced. It sucks how they have a greater choice too :(.

2. The case was damaged. :| But if the disc was fine, then I wouldn't be so bothered about the quite broken case.

If it was a real music store you probably could of asked for the case to be changed.

BBS Signature
Crashedd
Crashedd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew Aug. 12th, 2006 @ 08:55 AM Reply

Yo, a DT club! I was gonna start one but heck if theres one here already...
I just started getting into them at the start of summer... well a bit beforehand. A friend of mine showed me "Pull me under" and I thought "This shit be rcoking" so like a week later whilst skipping school with said friend I bought A Change Of Seasons for 10 euro. (I was skint that day =P) Since then I've gotten some of their other albums to listen to off others, one of which I particularly like being Octavarium (Hope I spelt that right) and, as such, I'm in the process of learning Panic Attack for a band that I'm in.

So can I join?