6 O'Clock on a Christmas morning!

Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-12-25 17:41:28 Reply

At 12/25/06 06:14 AM, Insert-Pie wrote: 6 O'Clock on a Christmas morning!

Nice bump :D.
Please people, post more!
I want to talk about Dream Theater!

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy
PSN: Look-a-Hill
Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature
Insert-Pie
Insert-Pie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-12-26 04:24:37 Reply

At 12/25/06 05:41 PM, Nev wrote:
Nice bump :D.

I looked at newgrounds time and saw it was 6 AM (well, 14 minutes over, but whatever) and thought I'd give a few DT fans something to chuckle about.

Please people, post more!
I want to talk about Dream Theater!

What do you want to talk about? I'd like to post more, but I just can't think of anything relevent or interesting to say.

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Audiophile
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-12-26 08:18:06 Reply

At 12/25/06 05:41 PM, Nev wrote: I want to talk about Dream Theater!

I can talk about Dream Theater right now. I just ordered A Change of Seasons and 6DOIT, so now to wait for them to arrive at my house. I think it'll take about a week since I ordered those 2 CDs from an American Amazon seller.

[ BBS Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-12-26 13:36:22 Reply

At 12/26/06 04:24 AM, Insert-Pie wrote: What do you want to talk about? I'd like to post more, but I just can't think of anything relevent or interesting to say.

Righty, well I'll start a conversation:

Who do you think is the best writer in the Dream Theater camp?

For me its Petrucci, I mean he wrote all of Metropolis Pt.1, and he wrote the lyrics the Voice... that is enough for me :).

After him I'd say Portnoy, cause he has written some immensely catchy songs, Home and Strange Deja Vu come to mind... not to mention the whole 12 Steps Saga he is doing.
Ironic really, as he only started contributing to the lyrics front as they were a lyricist down once Kev left.

BBS Signature
Insert-Pie
Insert-Pie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-12-27 09:09:38 Reply

At 12/26/06 01:36 PM, Nev wrote:
Righty, well I'll start a conversation:
Who do you think is the best writer in the Dream Theater camp?

For me its Petrucci, I mean he wrote all of Metropolis Pt.1, and he wrote the lyrics the Voice... that is enough for me :).

Ooh, that's pretty tough. Although John Petrucci is an amazing guitarist, and excellent song writer, I'd have to put my money on Mike Portnoy. A lot of the bands 'direction' comes from him, and he writes a lot of the songs and lyrics. He's probably my favorite writer in the band.

I'd say Mike Portnoy is the heart of the band, because he plays such an important role in the band. John Petrucci would be the brain because the brain is also a very important, and cool, organ and can do lots of crazy shit. John John Myung would be the liver because it's also important, and people tend not to pay attention to thier livers. Jordan Rudess would be the lungs of the band, because I say so. James LaBrie would be like the appendix because when it's not there, it's not really any different, and you can operate fine without it.

I don't know why I wrote that last paragraph.
Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-12-27 16:23:10 Reply

At 12/27/06 09:09 AM, Insert-Pie wrote: I'd say Mike Portnoy is the heart of the band, because he plays such an important role in the band. John Petrucci would be the brain because the brain is also a very important, and cool, organ and can do lots of crazy shit. John John Myung would be the liver because it's also important, and people tend not to pay attention to thier livers.

Three wonderful analogies. Especially the Myung part :P.

Jordan Rudess would be the lungs of the band, because I say so.

Why?
I'd make Jordan the pubes or something, cause they come late but change everything :P.

James LaBrie would be like the appendix because when it's not there, it's not really any different, and you can operate fine without it.

Undermining him a little. James is a great vocalist, and while the instrumental sections do own, the vocal parts are just as good, if not better. A lot of vocalists really bring technical bands down, James doesn't.

Sadly I can't think of an equally good analogy like I did for Jordan :(.

BBS Signature
Insert-Pie
Insert-Pie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-12-28 02:08:07 Reply

At 12/27/06 04:23 PM, Nev wrote:
Undermining him a little. James is a great vocalist..

Yeah, I know, but I like taking the piss out of him because he's always kinda negleccteed in the band. When they play live shows, he disapears from the stage when the rest of the band have a huge solo break, and comes back about 5 minutes later. A friend and me always joke about how he probably goes and orders a pizza or takes a nap while the band solos. All jokes aside, he is a great vocalist, and I couldn't think of any other person who would fit Dream Theater's sound like him.

Sadly I can't think of an equally good analogy like I did for Jordan :(.

How about, "James LaBrie is like the kidneys of the band. You really only need one, but without any, you're screwed. Also, the kidneys are very important, and if you become unhappy with them, you can get a new one."

Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-12-28 11:58:03 Reply

At 12/28/06 02:08 AM, Insert-Pie wrote: Yeah, I know, but I like taking the piss out of him because he's always kinda negleccteed in the band.

I though Myung was the one everyone joked about. Considering James is hardly neglected. Sure they have a lot of instrumental sections, but to those not in the know James is probably the second most important member, besides Petrucci.

How about, "James LaBrie is like the kidneys...

I was hoping for something more erotic :P.

BBS Signature
Insert-Pie
Insert-Pie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-12-29 03:13:54 Reply

At 12/28/06 11:58 AM, Nev wrote:
I though Myung was the one everyone joked about. Considering James is hardly neglected. Sure they have a lot of instrumental sections, but to those not in the know James is probably the second most important member, besides Petrucci.

Yeah, but at least John Myung is basically always playing, writes songs and has his moments of glory (bass solos, ect...) which makes him more noticable. To me, this puts him in a more important role than James Labrie considering James usually doesn't have a great deal of input in the songs, compared to the others. By the way, don't misconstrue this as an attack on James Labrie. I think he's a great vocalist, but he definitely isn't the leader of the band.

How about, "James LaBrie is like the kidneys...
I was hoping for something more erotic :P.

Hmmm. How about "James Labrie is like the penis of the band. He's covered up a great deal of the time, but when he comes out, he is the first thing nyou notice. Also, you need him, but not all the time, because if he's out too much, he screws things".

Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-12-29 09:27:40 Reply

At 12/29/06 03:13 AM, Insert-Pie wrote: Hmmm. How about "James Labrie is like the penis of the band. He's covered up a great deal of the time, but when he comes out, he is the first thing nyou notice. Also, you need him, but not all the time, because if he's out too much, he screws things".

Wonderful, just wonderful :).

Now, if only more people besides us two post :(.

BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Audiophile
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-12-29 09:36:44 Reply

At 12/29/06 09:27 AM, Nev wrote: Now, if only more people besides us two post :(.

Hey, some people disappeared in this club, DreamTheater doesn't post on the BBS much now. :( Also, I'm just waiting for my CDs to arrive. Oh yeah, the song Octavarium seems to grow on me more and more. O__o

Formerly Bahamut

Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-12-29 09:38:54 Reply

At 12/29/06 09:36 AM, Bahamut wrote: Hey, some people disappeared in this club, DreamTheater doesn't post on the BBS much now. :( Also, I'm just waiting for my CDs to arrive.

Ditto.

Oh yeah, the song Octavarium seems to grow on me more and more. O__o

Indeed-a-roo. As soon as it gets to Full Circle the song goes amazing :D.

BBS Signature
DreamTheater
DreamTheater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-12-29 14:30:31 Reply

At 12/29/06 09:38 AM, Nev wrote:
At 12/29/06 09:36 AM, Bahamut wrote: Oh yeah, the song Octavarium seems to grow on me more and more. O__o
Indeed-a-roo. As soon as it gets to Full Circle the song goes amazing :D.

Yea, I agree.

I'M BACK :O

I've got loads more Dream Theater since my last post, I'd have to say Six Degree of Inner Turbulence is the best DT album ever. Train of Thought is a disappointment and their live bootleg of 'Dark Side of the Moon' is quality! I've also got a n interesting live medley from the 'Through Her Eyes' single.

Furthermore, The Glass Prison was more than likely written and performed by Carlsberg... if you get my drift.

The door was wide open... SO COME IN AND FUCKING POST!!!
Insert-Pie
Insert-Pie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-12-30 01:00:29 Reply

At 12/29/06 02:30 PM, DreamTheater wrote:
I've got loads more Dream Theater since my last post, I'd have to say Six Degree of Inner Turbulence is the best DT album ever.

Which disk do you like better? Personally, I like disk one better (the one with only 5 tracks). I think it's some of the most underappreciated and overlooked Dream Theater music out there. The disk with the song "SDOIT" is good, but I don't think it's their greatest.

Train of Thought is a disappointment

Say what? I love that album. I mean, it's not exactly the best album ever made, but it's certainly an incredible album. It's easily up there with my all time favorite DT albums, and probably favorite albums of all time. Oh well, to each his own I guess.

and their live bootleg of 'Dark Side of the Moon' is quality!

Where can I get this bootleg? I must hear it now.

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Audiophile
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-12-30 07:29:36 Reply

At 12/29/06 09:38 AM, Nev wrote: Indeed-a-roo. As soon as it gets to Full Circle the song goes amazing :D.

I like the part when Jingle Bells is played. XD

At 12/29/06 02:30 PM, DreamTheater wrote:
I'M BACK :O

DON'T LEAVE US AGAIN, BITCH!

I've got loads more Dream Theater since my last post, I'd have to say Six Degree of Inner Turbulence is the best DT album ever.

I hope I find it that amazing when I listen to it.

Train of Thought is a disappointment

If you take out the rapping and the nu-metalness, it is a good album.

Formerly Bahamut

PenisClown
PenisClown
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-12-30 08:11:15 Reply

At 12/25/06 06:14 AM, Insert-Pie wrote: 6 O'Clock on a Christmas morning!

I know all about the order of god, Mary Jane!

Horray, it's back!

Metal Hell.
Pill pop a dope a well run general hash pump a gonna led.

BBS Signature
Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-12-30 10:31:34 Reply

At 12/30/06 01:00 AM, Insert-Pie wrote: Where can I get this bootleg? I must hear it now.

YtsejamRecords
Mike Portnoy's own bootleg selling site :).

BBS Signature
PenisClown
PenisClown
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-12-30 10:39:22 Reply

At 12/30/06 10:31 AM, Nev wrote:
At 12/30/06 01:00 AM, Insert-Pie wrote: Where can I get this bootleg? I must hear it now.
YtsejamRecords
Mike Portnoy's own bootleg selling site :).

Selling?

:'(

Metal Hell.

BBS Signature
Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-12-30 10:42:31 Reply

At 12/30/06 10:39 AM, PenisClown wrote: Selling?

Were you hoping he just gave them away for free to millions of Dream Theater fans?

BBS Signature
PenisClown
PenisClown
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2006-12-30 10:45:26 Reply

At 12/30/06 10:42 AM, Nev wrote: Were you hoping he just gave them away for free to millions of Dream Theater fans?

Of course!

But first we'd pay for it.

Metal Hell.

BBS Signature
Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2007-01-02 10:50:49 Reply

Falling Into Infinity has come today, ACOS will be here soon too :).
My collection is nearing completion.

BBS Signature
Insert-Pie
Insert-Pie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2007-01-03 05:41:59 Reply

At 1/2/07 10:50 AM, Nev wrote: Falling Into Infinity has come today, ACOS will be here soon too :).
My collection is nearing completion.

I have the entire Dream Theater catalogue (except for 'When Day and Dream Unite). Unfortunately, almost half of the CD's are burnt copies I got from a friend of mine, and I'm way too cheap to buy a CD I already own, burnt or not.

BTW, Don't expect too much from Falling Into infinity.
Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2007-01-03 09:00:26 Reply

At 1/3/07 05:41 AM, Insert-Pie wrote: Unfortunately, almost half of the CD's are burnt copies I got from a friend of mine, and I'm way too cheap to buy a CD I already own, burnt or not.

I'm talking about owning the CDs :P.
For bands I love, I buy the CDs. Show my respect and that :).

BTW, Don't expect too much from Falling Into infinity.

I don't see what the problem with it is. It has some great songs on it. The whole 'most assessible and too commercial' stuff is shite. In my opinion both Octavarium and Images... are far more assessible. Octavarium cause it sounds to radio friendly (bar Octavarium the song), in that it rips off Muse.
And Images.. cause of songs like Another Day and Pull Me Under. I think Dream Theater fans are just talking the whole Falling Into Infinity thing far too elitistly.

BBS Signature
Insert-Pie
Insert-Pie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2007-01-03 09:35:45 Reply

At 1/3/07 09:00 AM, Nev wrote:
In my opinion both Octavarium and Images... are far more assessible.

I couldn't agree more.

I think Dream Theater fans are just talking the whole Falling Into Infinity thing far too elitistly.

I like Falling Into Infinity, but it doesn't go beyond that. When I got that album I was totally stoked. But to be honest, after a few listens, I was dissapointed. There are some good songs, but my main gripe with it is that there are no great songs. Some come close, but none of them are quite there. It lacks the impact that I've come to love in each Dream Theater album I've listened to for the first time.

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Audiophile
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2007-01-06 10:41:15 Reply

My A Change of Seasons CD arrived today. :) I've listened to the album and the song is pretty interesting (must give it a few more listens to) and the live covers I like, especially Perfect Strangers and The Big Medley.

Formerly Bahamut

Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2007-01-06 12:21:53 Reply

At 1/6/07 10:41 AM, Bahamut wrote: My A Change of Seasons CD arrived today. :) I've listened to the album and the song is pretty interesting (must give it a few more listens to) and the live covers I like, especially Perfect Strangers and The Big Medley.

I got it a few days before Bahamut :).

Have you never heard the song before then? Personally, I think its the greatest song ever. Not just in Metal, Dream Theaters discography or something.... but in the entirity of musical compositions.... ACOS has topped everything.

BBS Signature
Life-Stream
Life-Stream
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2007-01-06 13:48:32 Reply

It looks like the same 3 or 4 people post here!
Ok, i know i´m not a member of the DT crew, but i just have to say, they are Gods! Their music is so powerful and different from the rest. The great solos and riffs they have are mind blowing! Right now i own the albulms;
Train of thoughts,
Awake,
And A change of Seasons.

My favourite would have to be train of thoughts, and my favourite song has to be stream of consiousness, although it´s instrumental.
Another masterpiece is the song change of seasons! It lasts 23 minutes! it has everything in it, like someone here said, slow parts, heavy parts and great solos!

Rock on Dream Theater!!!!

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Audiophile
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2007-01-06 14:00:52 Reply

At 1/6/07 12:21 PM, Nev wrote: I got it a few days before Bahamut :).

Yes you did. D:

Have you never heard the song before then?

I just heard it today.

Personally, I think its the greatest song ever. Not just in Metal, Dream Theaters discography or something.... but in the entirity of musical compositions.... ACOS has topped everything.

I think you're going over the top.

At 1/6/07 01:48 PM, Life-Stream wrote: Ok, i know i´m not a member of the DT crew, but i just have to say, they are Gods! Their music is so powerful and different from the rest.

You are welcome to join this club! :)

The great solos and riffs they have are mind blowing! Right now i own the albulms;

I recommend you to get Images and Words. Octavarium is also worth getting since the songs such as The Root of All Evil, These Walls and Octavarium are great tracks.

My favourite would have to be train of thoughts, and my favourite song has to be stream of consiousness, although it´s instrumental.

Instrumental, but awesome! :D

Formerly Bahamut

Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dream Theater Crew 2007-01-06 14:12:09 Reply

At 1/6/07 01:48 PM, Life-Stream wrote: Rock on Dream Theater!!!!

Please join us. We need members :).

At 1/6/07 02:00 PM, Bahamut wrote: I think you're going over the top.

I don't.... the song just hasn't hit you yet :P.
I genuinely think that ACOS is the greatest song ever written. The riffs are amazing, the solos are insane and beautiful, the lyrics are brilliant, the singing, the bass, the drums, the keyboard.... its perfect.... and it holds up said perfection for 23 minutes.... and thats difficult. Long songs are hard to keep your attention on: Black Rose Immortal, The Odyssey, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence..... I struggle to remain focused when listening to these.

With ACOS, I can't not listen.... it draws me in :P. Octavarium is quite capturing for a long song.... but waiting for Someone Like Him to kick in is a bit annoying... and the song isn't as good in general.

BBS Signature