Be a Supporter!

Big News for Reviews!

  • 17,279 Views
  • 215 Replies
Respond to this Topic
Archile
Archile
  • Member since: Oct. 10, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Big News for Reviews! Feb. 12th, 2003 @ 11:05 PM Reply

I think its a good idea!

RaGe-UnLimited
RaGe-UnLimited
  • Member since: Jan. 2, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! Feb. 12th, 2003 @ 11:25 PM Reply

Gotta have my OsamOs
LoL
II dont know about all these new rules.
But its a good idea i guess

Big News for Reviews!

Nude-Dude
Nude-Dude
  • Member since: Oct. 15, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! Feb. 12th, 2003 @ 11:43 PM Reply

First i gotta say that personally i really like this idea simply because of all the extreemly abusive reviews i've read on decent and maybe not so decent flashes. I would personally love to go pick out those no brained horse humpers that give abusive reviews and erase thier accounts. but since i cant do that i guess ill just help out as best i can.

Anyways the point is i found a little glitch in the new system. maybe its just me but whenever i say that a review is helpful it marks up that i said it was both helpful and unhelpful. PLEASE!! ADVISE!! o and if others have mentioned this before me im sorry for wasting your time guys. Props to ya!!

Big News for Reviews!

Jenn
Jenn
  • Member since: Feb. 2, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! Feb. 12th, 2003 @ 11:52 PM Reply

I'm thinkin' this new feature is only good for the artists themselves. Not that I'm against that, but I think we should only get to vote OFF offensive reviews instead of voting whether one was just helpful or not. Who cares if someone just says "This sucked"? It's not helpful, but it's not offensive, so who cares either way? You can't tell me that you're going to keep up with ever offensive review on the site.

Ian-The-Archer
Ian-The-Archer
  • Member since: Dec. 23, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! Feb. 13th, 2003 @ 12:12 AM Reply

How much does it take for a review to be blammed, I see a review as like 2/12!
Good job with this new feature, hope people will find it useful!

MetaphorcE
MetaphorcE
  • Member since: Jan. 28, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! Feb. 13th, 2003 @ 12:25 AM Reply

At 2/12/03 08:56 PM, Luche2463 wrote: Evil_San, don't be a bitch.... no one is forcing you to read the reviews and it doesn't take much for you to scroll right over them. This system is assuming that the "great authors" aren't smart enough or have the will power to skip over obvious abusive reviews. Don't nark on people... Just tell him that he is a bitch ( like i am right now ) and leave it at that. His review will get a not helpful rating and will be deleted... but don't nark on other people....

Eat shit and die.

Now I don't know about you, but I don't want anybody saying that to me. Now when I posted to this topic, I was a little pissed off at that guy, because he had written reviews like that to 3 of my movies (albeit my worst ones), did not have a public profile and used an invalid email account. So, I would've called him a bitch - but on a personal level, thru email or whatever. But he writes shit like that and hides behind anonymity - so I thought this was a good way to get back at him (thru a public forum). I also thought it could serve as a good example of what an abusive review actually was. Was I being a bitch? I don't really think I was. I was trying to respond intelligently to the topic - admittedly I was in a hurry when I wrote it so I probably should've put a little more thought into it.

Anyway, if you think I was being a bitch then you'd have no problem with me telling you to eat shit and die!

gfoxcook
gfoxcook
  • Member since: Feb. 18, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! Feb. 13th, 2003 @ 01:43 AM Reply

At 2/12/03 11:43 PM, Nude-Dude wrote: First i gotta say that personally i really like this idea simply because of all the extreemly abusive reviews i've read on decent and maybe not so decent flashes. I would personally love to go pick out those no brained horse humpers that give abusive reviews and erase thier accounts. but since i cant do that i guess ill just help out as best i can.

Anyways the point is i found a little glitch in the new system. maybe its just me but whenever i say that a review is helpful it marks up that i said it was both helpful and unhelpful. PLEASE!! ADVISE!! o and if others have mentioned this before me im sorry for wasting your time guys. Props to ya!!

If you're referring to the fact that upon voting helpful, the 0/0 changes to 1/1, that is NOT 1 helpful/1 not helpful

That is 1 helpful out of 1 vote.

i.e. if I were to vote helpful on that review as well, it would become 2/2 (2 for 2)

and if I voted unhelpful instead, it would be 1/2 (1 for 2, 50% helpful rating)

comprende? It's not a win/loss ratio, it's a win/total games ratio.


gfox // wi/ht?#9 // 2x10k PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Bahamut's List!
a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature
rvyn
rvyn
  • Member since: Aug. 30, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! Feb. 13th, 2003 @ 03:51 AM Reply

I'd posted this before, but there wasn't much attention paid to it, so I'm posting it again, I hope you don't mind. I'll appreciate any reaction to this, either whether or not you agree with my views, or to just tell me to stop posting this again. But please read.

Every time the new week's best flashes are put into the top 20 list, they are also put into the All time list. I find this mildly annoying because new films suddenly and very quickly get into the top 50, knocking down the old and longstanding flashes from the top 50, and giving them only a week to make it back up to the top (only to be knocked down again).

Meanwhile, the movies in the top 20 of the week got such a high score from only, essentially, one or two days of voting (the day they were submitted, and probably the day after if they get an award), which causes them to have relatively inflated scores.

All in all, i'm finding it frustrating to see films like From My Room, Karma Ghost, Final Task, Brutality and the other flashes that have been (and deserve to be) on the top 50 of all time for many months get knocked down out of the list because good but inflated scores on new flashes make it seem that they are better (which they may be, but it would be too early to tell)

I suggest 2 things:

1) Either put the top 20 list up as usual, but don't put those movies into the All time list until the following week (so people can vote and adjust whatever inflation there is for an entire week),

or

2) Make it so that the number of votes is weighted, a la IMDB's "True Bayesian Formula", so that movies with scores of 3.9 but only 1000 votes don't overtake movies that have scores of 3.89 but with 50,000 votes.

Again, I hope this is either heeded now, or will be when I bring this up later.

liljim
liljim
  • Member since: Dec. 16, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! Feb. 13th, 2003 @ 06:04 AM Reply

At 2/13/03 03:51 AM, rvyn wrote:
Again, I hope this is either heeded now, or will be when I bring this up later.

You do not need to do that - I read what you had to say on this the first time around. It's not a bad idea and I have been thinking about the best way to go about doing it, should we decide to.

rvyn
rvyn
  • Member since: Aug. 30, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! Feb. 13th, 2003 @ 06:05 AM Reply

thanks lil! believe me, i'm terribly impressed by the progress you guys have made so far, thanks a lot.

humpii
humpii
  • Member since: Dec. 6, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! Feb. 13th, 2003 @ 06:23 AM Reply

hmmmmmmmmmm interesting and just waht will become of these "abusive users"??
will they get BLAMMED HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH !!!!!!!!!!!! damn that would be funny blamed for blaming hahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahhahaahhahaha damn i am good!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

humpii
humpii
  • Member since: Dec. 6, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! Feb. 13th, 2003 @ 06:26 AM Reply

fuck humpii you are so cool!!!!!!!!!

liljim
liljim
  • Member since: Dec. 16, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! Feb. 13th, 2003 @ 07:07 AM Reply

At 2/12/03 11:50 AM, Dreamer1111111 wrote: Hey liljim,this may sound a bit crud, but could you possible tell me the javascript to open a window without having to refresh tha page .

Have a look at Microsoft's documentation on window.open().

Rintrah
Rintrah
  • Member since: Oct. 21, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! Feb. 13th, 2003 @ 09:13 AM Reply

There's getting to be too many rules around here.

While I know this feature was implemented with the best of intentions, namely, to protect the authors, I think most people in this community are intelligent enough to realize when a great movie gets a zero from some of these blammers, one shouldn't take it seriously.

It's easy to tell who's honestly reviewing something, and who is just being a prick to everyone.

Also - this feature will effectively eliminate all zero rankings, as everyone will be too scared to rank anything as less than a 4. What about the movies/games that genuinely do "suck"? Shouldn't we be able to say so?

At 2/11/03 04:36 PM, TomFulp wrote: For a while now, one of our big issues has been abusive reviewers. You know who I'm talking about - those jerks who discourage Flash artists by having nothing but mean things to say about Portal submissions.

LilJim has just finished a new feature to address this! You can now rate individual reviews as you read them. There are only three choices - you either find it helpful, not helpful, or you find it downright abusive.

Remember, just because a review is negative does not mean that it is not helpful or that it is abusive. A review is only abusive if it fails to address anything at all that could be of use to the author, and merely slanders him for no good reason. A negative review is still able to be helpful, by bringing flaws to an authors attention. There is a difference between a negative (helpful or not) review and an evil, nasty (abusive) review.

If you feel a review is vague or doesn't make any good points, you are welcome to say it was not helpful. We are hoping this new system will encourage more constructive reviews, while at the same time helping us pinpoint abusive users, so we can deal with them more efficiently.

We hope everyone enjoys the new system!
Andrew-Traviss
Andrew-Traviss
  • Member since: Nov. 23, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! Feb. 13th, 2003 @ 02:01 PM Reply

Some people appear to be misunderstanding the way this works. The artist doesn't get to "blam" the reviews, and simply clicking on the "abusive" option will never delete a review, just as blowing the whistle on an entry doesn't delete it.

All this does is flag those reviews for personal inspection by Tom or Wade, or liljim (not sure who's repsonsible), and they make the final decision, not the author, and not any user.

Abusive and negative reviews are not the same thing. An abusive review is a negative review that consists of apile of insults directed at the author.

"This sucks" isn't abusive, it's just not helpful. "This sucks, you faggot" is abusive. Note the difference. "This sucks, because it was just a bunch of tweened still images moving around. Some actual animation would be nice." is both negative and helpful. Again, note the differences, and learn to critique stuff properly. (Yes, there is a right and a wrong way to critique)

Blingo
Blingo
  • Member since: Jun. 30, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! Feb. 13th, 2003 @ 03:06 PM Reply

someone might have mentioned this already, but i think there should be a system where people get their "average review helpfulness" rated in their profiles - 1 being all "yes"s, and 0 being all "no"s.

This will give them something to fear if they are always complete jerks but not quite abusive in their reviews, and will hopefully change their ways, possibly in exchange for a place on a scoreboard or increased voting power.

jlo-stalker
jlo-stalker
  • Member since: Jan. 2, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! Feb. 13th, 2003 @ 05:08 PM Reply

This is stupid, because really, if a Flash submitter doesn't like a review that somebody else posts, they can do this little thing called IGNORING. As most of you will do with this post.

Luche2463
Luche2463
  • Member since: Oct. 7, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! Feb. 13th, 2003 @ 08:16 PM Reply

At 2/13/03 12:25 AM, Evil_San wrote: Anyway, if you think I was being a bitch then you'd have no problem with me telling you to eat shit and die!

Nope, I don't have a problem at all. And you did exactly what i think every one else should do when they get a personal thing said about them in a review. You can tell me to eat shit and die... that's fine Evil_San, and again, you can not stop people from saying stuff like that... and neither can Tom, Wade, or Liljim. This idea is good in theory, but it simply will not work because i can write all the constructive shit i want but at the end, just as you did, i can write an abusive comment. Would that warrent the review to be taken away from your review record???? i think not.

Inbar-2
Inbar-2
  • Member since: Mar. 19, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! Feb. 14th, 2003 @ 12:43 AM Reply

I think that there should be some kind of reward for reviewers who write helpful reviews (another stat, perhaps). This would encourage people to write better reviews and hold off the oppressive tongue.

Nude-Dude
Nude-Dude
  • Member since: Oct. 15, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! Feb. 14th, 2003 @ 01:04 AM Reply

At 2/13/03 01:43 AM, gfoxcook wrote:
If you're referring to the fact that upon voting helpful, the 0/0 changes to 1/1, that is NOT 1 helpful/1 not helpful

That is 1 helpful out of 1 vote.

i.e. if I were to vote helpful on that review as well, it would become 2/2 (2 for 2)

and if I voted unhelpful instead, it would be 1/2 (1 for 2, 50% helpful rating)

comprende? It's not a win/loss ratio, it's a win/total games ratio.

lol ok i guess im just a dumb guy then umm thanx for clearing that little oversight up for me. Peace

Big News for Reviews!

newportsmoker420
newportsmoker420
  • Member since: Aug. 10, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! Feb. 14th, 2003 @ 08:33 AM Reply

shit is it just me or is there like a new restriction every other week or so. shit soon we"ll be blocked if we give a bad review

MetaphorcE
MetaphorcE
  • Member since: Jan. 28, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! Feb. 14th, 2003 @ 09:57 AM Reply

At 2/14/03 08:33 AM, newportsmoker420 wrote: shit is it just me or is there like a new restriction every other week or so. shit soon we"ll be blocked if we give a bad review

Unfortunately, NG has become large enough that there are a lot of users with no common sense now. What can you do about a lack of common sense? Employ rules. Unfortunately it affects the sensible people too, but the Fulps are just trying to create the best site for everyone. (Although there is a saying about trying to please everyone... if anyone remembers(/knows) it...)

MetaphorcE
MetaphorcE
  • Member since: Jan. 28, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! Feb. 14th, 2003 @ 10:10 AM Reply

At 2/13/03 08:16 PM, Luche2463 wrote:
Nope, I don't have a problem at all. And you did exactly what i think every one else should do when they get a personal thing said about them in a review. You can tell me to eat shit and die... that's fine Evil_San, and again, you can not stop people from saying stuff like that... and neither can Tom, Wade, or Liljim. This idea is good in theory, but it simply will not work because i can write all the constructive shit i want but at the end, just as you did, i can write an abusive comment. Would that warrent the review to be taken away from your review record???? i think not.

I just like the idea of being able to get back at someone, somehow... if someone uses an oscure user name, has no public profile, and an invalid email address, I'll still want a way to get back at them - this offers it, only in a small way, but at least it offers me some kind of satisfaction.
Why would any reasonable thinking person want to abuse someone who they don't even know? If someone said that sort of thing to me on the street, at least I could have a go at thumping them...

SupaReaper
SupaReaper
  • Member since: Feb. 5, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! Feb. 14th, 2003 @ 11:16 AM Reply

Does that mean all the useless, "This is the best flash movie I've ever seen" reviews are no good either?

You say all the mean reviews are going to be eliminated because they have no use, but neither do the praises of some morons. Are you trying to base this on the usefulness of the review, or its negative effects. Or is it going to be as normal; "Fulps gets rid of what Fulps want to."

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen, and crawl back in your cradle.

Agent4ever
Agent4ever
  • Member since: Apr. 26, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! Feb. 14th, 2003 @ 06:03 PM Reply

i dont post many reviews and/or bbs posts but i have noticed quite a few abusive reviews on many movies/games kill a kitten is the biggest example i can think of, because... people dont like killing fast moving gray felines, yet dont seem to have any problem killing pop stars. so mostly what i have to say to people who write abusive reveiws is get a life its a lot like people saying "first" on the p-bot topics while you can ignore it it covers up the people who might have somthing interesting to say.

I have an interesting approach. Pretend like you're face-to-face with the person. If I had received some of the abusive reviews received by others to my face, I would be honor-bound to fight them!

theres an idea, put all the people who wright an exessive amount of reveiws and make them fight to the death, one would assume there would be less jerks that way.

btw, i dont submit flash, i havent made anything i would think might survive 10 mins on ng.

umm...thats about it besides it give me a reason to read the reveiws... and vote abusive on them muahahahaha.... >:)

D-6969
D-6969
  • Member since: Jun. 12, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! Feb. 14th, 2003 @ 11:56 PM Reply

That's a relief, can't count how many times i've seen "This sucks" as a review. If it sucked then say what was wrong with it and give some ideas not just a stupid 2 word comment.

seikendensetsurules
seikendensetsurules
  • Member since: Jan. 4, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! Feb. 15th, 2003 @ 08:14 AM Reply

I doubt this feature will be used. Nobody's gonna bother to say if a review was helpful, except maybe the flash authors who will abuse it to get rid of people who give them low scores.

IckleClara
IckleClara
  • Member since: Jan. 12, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! Feb. 15th, 2003 @ 09:16 AM Reply

At 2/13/03 05:08 PM, jlo_stalker wrote: This is stupid, because really, if a Flash submitter doesn't like a review that somebody else posts, they can do this little thing called IGNORING. As most of you will do with this post.

Yes you can just ignore it, but there is only so much abusive crap that you can skim over before you go slowly insane. I don't see why anyone has a problem getting rid of the abusive posts, however i'm not too sure about this helpful/unhelpful thing, although i don't think i could implement it any better myself so i will keep quiet.

OmegaDarkLink
OmegaDarkLink
  • Member since: Feb. 27, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! Feb. 15th, 2003 @ 11:47 PM Reply

I like the idea. Newgrounds just keeps getting better.

XkwiziTOnE
XkwiziTOnE
  • Member since: Sep. 16, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! Feb. 16th, 2003 @ 02:39 AM Reply

Way to go Newgrounds Gotta love this place