Respond to this Topic
ryu12
ryu12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-12 01:22:53 Reply

:fucking flash skills have to to be the fucking worst in the entire world. You should have your nuts cut off and have the right one mailed to the south pole and the other mailed to the north pole, so penguins can shit on the left, and Santa can cram the right one up his runny asshole, you little cluster-fucked, inbred, peter-beater. I hope you drown in a sea of sailor's cum before you make another flash movie, you horrendous, down-syndrome-plagued, vaginal discharge."

That would be horrible to say1=!

Big News for Reviews!

Andrew-Traviss
Andrew-Traviss
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-12 01:26:06 Reply

Excellent idea.

To the whiners: If you don't like a movie, and you want to review it, you should probably know why you don't like it. Say why, and your problems are solved. The Review option is not a place for you to rant on pointlessly, that's what the BBS is for. The Review options is for actually reviews.

If you say "This movie sucks, it was too short" or "This movie sucks, it had no plot" or "This movie sucks because stick figures make boring Flash movies" those may not be the best way to say it, but they are constructive, because you're not just telling the author the movie isn't good, you're telling them why it isn't good, so that they can keep that in mind and then come back and make a better movie next time. Even better say something like "That movie was too short, and had no plot. You should work on that. Better luck next time."

Remember, Tom isn't pulling portal entries out of his ass. Someone actually has to sit down with Flash and hammer them out and then submit them. If these people are too heavily offended by your loud idiocy, then they will leave. What if the maker of Johnny Rocketfingers, or some of the other wildly popular Flash had submitted a movie that sucked early on, gotten a bunch of abusive reviews and then just quit, huh? Then we wouldn't have the great Flash they make today.

Everyone starts out sucking at Flash, even Tom sucked at Flash once, and synj, and Andrew Dickman. Everyone has to learn the program somehow.

To those of you discouraging the next synj or Andrew Dickman with shitty reviews: fuck YOU! I want to see the awesome movies they're going to make later, thank you very much.

<deleted>
Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-12 01:29:24 Reply

At 2/11/03 01:25 PM, basher13 wrote:

Hi,Tom
Thanks to give learn flash submission,that will guide anything wont making flash movie fast.Sorry my movie still contruction,I mean the movie is finish but my telephone call not yet to pay for this month.I make 2 movies stick figure and thats realy cool.Thanks again.

Big News for Reviews!

D0GMA
D0GMA
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-12 02:40:01 Reply

At 2/11/03 06:02 PM, Logixp13 wrote: Ok, I'll admit I know nothing about flash so how can I give advice? I write reviews to tell the creater of the flash what I thought of the movie ... I don't make flash movie's I enjoy them, where do I get off telling someone that there animation is to sticky.

When was the last time you plunked yourself down in front of the TV and saw Siskel & Tarantino? The reality is, either your are spending your time rating movies OR making them. If you've chosen not to take up brain space with how to make flash movies, you can still critique the end result of someone's work. Maybe the animation was sticky and they couldn't fix it. Someone like you pointing that out may motivate them to go find out how to fix that for their next time.

Flipyflip222
Flipyflip222
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-12 03:07:48 Reply

Yeah I know good job you guys. I feel another abusive review should be those people who keep using the words "gay" and "faggot" in their reviews. I mean come on I have gay, bi, and lesbian friends who use this site. Do you think it makes them want to come here and enjoy the great flash made by truly talented people? I don't think so. Please preach tolerance not ignorance. And to those people who just put bullshit stuff with zero's on reviews you are truly ignorant. Get a life and quit putting people down.

Flipyflip222
Flipyflip222
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-12 03:14:30 Reply

Good Job You guys. I think it's great that you guys are starting to lay down the law on these ignorant bastards. Another thing I would like to address is the use of the words "gay", "faggot", and "queer." Now I know people use these words occasionally, but do you ever wonder about the people that you do hurt when you use these words? When you people use them on here they equte to this Gay=Bad when in actuality it doesn't. We need to learn how to preach tolerance not ignorance. I mean come on that's what people were talking about when we made flash cartoons around 9-11 when Sikhs and Muslims were getting hated on because of what they wore and what they believed in. I know I'm not going to change people with my prose, but please try to act civil on here. To those people who have bullshit reviews where they just put stuff like "CRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCARPCPRACPRASHITSHITSIHT" with all zeros in there reviews GET A LIFE. These people put their blood sweat and tears into their amazing flash efforts and yet you should them down when half of you can't even create shit (me I can't make anything in flash, but if I did I would probably help open minds {and close some} to view the world differently). Don't waste the space in which you are entitled to with crappy comments about great flash animations. You will just get the abusive button.

Flipyflip222
Flipyflip222
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-12 03:17:29 Reply

whoops sorry about that post whoring :-(

roguelancer
roguelancer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-12 04:40:13 Reply

nice idea but this recent idea might be abused

Phattyno10
Phattyno10
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-12 05:04:41 Reply

I have to admit that I have to agree with the guy above. GAY ISNT BAD. I am not gay myself, but I also have gay friends. I also have Muslem friends and I can safely say that terrorist ARE THE DAMN MINORITY. Not all Muslems are terrorists.

yakobusan
yakobusan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-12 05:43:28 Reply

POPUP ADS SUCK(ED)?!
THE NEW LAYER ADS, LIKE THE COKE ONE, SUCK.
BANNERADS ARE OKAY.
PLEASE, NO SUCKADS ON NEWGROUNDS, TOM!

Big News for Reviews!

Sivak
Sivak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-12 05:53:35 Reply

The people who will bitch about all the new rules on Newgrounds are those whose actions necessitated the changes in the first place.

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-12 07:10:37 Reply

At 2/11/03 06:56 PM, TutiTV wrote: liljim, any approximate date on the multi-author system? 1mo, 6mo, 1year?

I don't want to give exact dates or estimates, just in case it doesn't happen by those estimates. :)

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-12 07:13:51 Reply

At 2/11/03 07:24 PM, Luche2463 wrote: Again, we have the owners of this site telling people how to think about stuff that we see. Sure there are jerks that write reviews just for the sake of doing them, but they just have to accept that that is a flaw for rewarding people for doing so. Stop limiting everyone else's voice Tom, and just get rid of the system all together. This place has really gone down hill... :(

No-one is preventing you from writing what you want. Just be prepared to have your reviews removed if they're in some way harmful or in no way useful to anyone.

Bad reviews have been deleted for a long time - this is just a tool to enable us to get to those reviews that are bad faster.

Newgrounds isn't the first and won't be the last site to want to protect the people who supply content to the site and people who want to read the content on the site. If we were being truly radical, we'd go about things the Amazon way and screen all reviews before allowing them into the public domain. That wouldn't be very much fun, though. :)

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-12 07:17:41 Reply

At 2/11/03 07:56 PM, Liquidz2k wrote:
This is one of those things that works in theory, but not so well in practice. Neither me, nor my friends read the review's before we see the movie/game. They often spoil things. I think it is safe to say that other users (at lest the majority) do the same thing. The only review I always read is the default one that shows up on the page with the voting buttons.

When I'm at work, I don't bother reading reviews before watching, since I'm on a fast connection there. When I'm at home, I almost certainly read reviews before / while loading big movies. I'm not going to sit around for an hour for a 5Mb movie to load up if it turns out to be utter tripe. Reviews give users on a slow connection a good indication as to whether the movie's worth the wait - not just because of the score, but an indication of what to expect from the content helps in this decision.

Also I do not feel like taking the time to vote on reviews. I would if they are on my movie, but I don't feel like voting on a bunch of reviews.

You're missing the point - we don't want to encourage people to vote on reviews just for the sake of it.

Now something that could inspire people to do so would be to have a top 50 most usefull reviewer's section on the user page. That would inspire good reviews, as everyone can vote on the review, and see it for what it is.

And what would the criteria for that be?

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-12 07:19:28 Reply

At 2/11/03 10:28 PM, DukeLexon wrote: Generally, I'm strictly a lurker.

And that's a real shame! :)

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-12 07:25:18 Reply

These are some of the latest reviews that should be pinpointed more quickly by the new system. I would like to see arguments for any of these reviews being useful to anyone. The reviews are for movies that have scores greater than 3.00 and where the review has an overall score of 0. Note that there are many reviews that make valid points when the overall score is 0, but these ones really aren't worth the diskspace they're written on, in my opinion.

Shower Of Terror - Score: 3.76, Reviewer's overall score: 0.00
Reviewer's Summary: "You leave me no option"
Reviewer's comments: "Are you a fucking fag or something make her nude you dumb ass teasing cock smoker jesus christ il vote 0 on that you dumb fuck wasting my time with this shit like this like that stupid fucking shower coudlnt see here tits WTF IS RONG WITH YOU
FUCKING FAGGOT GO FUCK YOUR SELF
"

Almost Serious Suicide - Score: 4.21, Reviewer's overall score: 0.00
Reviewer's Summary: "Im doing this for your own good"
Reviewer's comments: "Are you a fucking fag or something make her nude you dumb ass teasing cock smoker jesus christ il vote 0 on that you dumb fuck wasting my time with this shit like this like that stupid fucking shower coudlnt see here tits WTF IS RONG WITH YOU
"

Innuendo Stare-Down - Score: 3.34, Reviewer's overall score: 0.00
Reviewer's Summary: "Make her nude"
"

8mm project: Me - Score: 3.94, Reviewer's overall score: 0.00
Reviewer's Summary: "crapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrap"
Reviewer's comments: "crapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcr [snip]"

Panik In Chocoland - Score: 3.55, Reviewer's overall score: 0.00
Reviewer's Summary: "ABSOLUTELY GAY!!!! just like you"
Reviewer's comments: "this was fucking shit! get a life choco boy, i bet you like your hotdogs tasting like shit don't you, you are prolly fucking a goat right now bitch! go make a sandcastle, something that only you and your gay friends can play with fuck face
i hate yu bitch, get a fucking life! the only good game you have made is aqua energizer, and even that sucked cock, don't even come on newgrounds anymore you shit head! leave bitch! and take your gay games with you
"

Monkey Madness - Score: 3.48, Reviewer's overall score: 0.00
Reviewer's Summary: "fuck you"
Reviewer's comments: "you fuckin sick bastard. that was a fuckin sickening film and people like you shouldnt be allowed to post shit on newgrounds!"

Steve The Movie - Score: 3.69, Reviewer's overall score: 0.00
Reviewer's Summary: "KEEYAH!!!"
Reviewer's comments: "SO SO SO....

STOOOPID!!!"

[several more of these]

GALAPAGOS - Score: 4.18, Reviewer's overall score: 0.00
Reviewer's Summary: "KEEYAH!!!"
Reviewer's comments: "SO SO SO....

STOOOPID!!!!!!"

If you believe - Score: 3.38, Reviewer's overall score: 0.00
Reviewer's Summary: "sucked my asshole"
Reviewer's comments: "Why the fuck do you idiots make this shit?
Fuck You.

I Shit On Your Mom."

Dante vs Link (Part 2) - Score: 3.29, Reviewer's overall score: 0.00
Reviewer's Summary: "FUCK THIS ONE TOO"
Reviewer's comments: "I HATE YOU YOU LITTLE MUTHA FUCKA I HOPE YOU EAT FUCKING SHIT AND BURN IN FUCKING HELL FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!"

Virus Game - Score: 3.60, Reviewer's overall score: 0.00
Reviewer's Summary: "that woz crap"
Reviewer's comments: "shit shit shit shit shit"

College University pt 1 - Score: 3.69, Reviewer's overall score: 0.00
Reviewer's Summary: "gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay"
Reviewer's comments: "gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay [snip]"

Metal Slug Rampage - Score: 3.65, Reviewer's overall score: 0.00
Reviewer's Summary: "Fuck you all you dirty motherfuckers"
Reviewer's comments: "Eat shit and die."

Steve84
Steve84
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Gamer
Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-12 07:46:08 Reply

At I'm enjoying it a lot and find it where good keep the new features coming guys

toking24894
toking24894
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-12 08:00:49 Reply

I Have to agree with some of the post if we trash all the user that make flash they will leave without ever getting better and then we be stuck with crappy flash i myself is not that good at flash i made a few here and there but i see my self getting better each day all i can say is Keep Em Comming Flash Is Like Drug`s To Me..........

Big News for Reviews!

Desert-Gunstar
Desert-Gunstar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-12 08:09:53 Reply

Hmm...this new review rating feature seems somewhat useless to me. A reviewer should most likely have an idea of the quality of the work that they're doing. Of course, its nice to get some feedback and know that the rest of the world thinks the same thing as well. I guess flagging crappy reviews would help keep the better written reviews on, though, and that doesn't hurt a bit.

Big News for Reviews!

Katanaman
Katanaman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-12 08:41:31 Reply

At 2/11/03 09:13 PM, somedudeTMB wrote:
At 2/11/03 09:09 PM, Tommy_B wrote: so we cant say "this movie sux"?

You can say "this movie sux". But you've got to point out what's wrong with it or else it won't help the people who are about to load the movie or the author, ho wants to know what's wrong with it.

Jettison
Jettison
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Gamer
Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-12 08:41:35 Reply

Cool, this should help weed out asshole reviwes. Maybe a the number of helpfull someone has should be displayed on profiles. This would farther enforce this new system.

Katanaman
Katanaman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-12 09:04:43 Reply

About the "you're gay" reviews, I don't even care when they call me a fag. If they knew me, it would be offensive. But considering they don't, it's not. It's just a random insult.

What I don't get is, how cool is it to call people fags? I mean, I'm not gay but I know lots of gay people and it's not even their fault. Some are effeminate because they want to be that way. But trully gay people were born that way and they shouldn't be insulted just because they weren't born heterosexual(when someone is homosexual, it happens because of, in case of men, lack of testosterone, and in case of women, excess of testosterone when compared to other women). I trully think using those "you're gay" insults may be offensive to actual gay people, because they might feel like everybody hates them(usually gay men, because they're more sensitive) and they can't change.

Jettison
Jettison
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Gamer
Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-12 09:33:29 Reply

I don't think anyone has mentioned that a positive review may not a be helpful also. A review like
"THIS ROX!!!" with 10’s for everything doesn’t tell you weather it’s a flash worth watching or not. All though I think only a bad review could be considered abusive and that's mainly what this is trying to stop.

People just need to put more thought into their reviews now. I think a bad review can be very helpful to in many cases if you justify your reason for saying it's bad. As long as you do that I think you can still write a bad review without fear of persecution

Esmender
Esmender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-12 09:39:14 Reply

This feature is something that I think can be useful in rooting out angry pre-teens who are looking for nothing but porn. But no matter how constructive a negative review might be, many people can take it the wrong way. I think we have to be careful of this.

Maybe a test run is in order before anything is set in stone. Do a random check to see if poorly-rated reviewers are offering constructive advice, or are downright mean.

On a side note, I was reading through reviews of Johnny Rocketfingers and noticed one by Andrew Dickman, (formerly) one of my favorite artists and February's King of the Portal.. (Rockman Neo, Wily Shorts series, etc.) and his review was outright slander. If I'm not mistaken, he gave a 0 and did not offer any advice, only a piece of his mind. I went on to read all reviews left by Andrew, and found that most, if not all, were just mean, nasty things to say.. no advice from a naturally talented artist, just insults.

I guess I was surprised that one of the most popular flash artists on NG was blatently bashing another talented and popular artist. I absolutely love Andrew Dickman's work, but he lost a lot of respect from me.

tongueofcolicab
tongueofcolicab
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-12 10:05:35 Reply

At 2/11/03 04:45 PM, apotheosis wrote:

:a fine example will be dragonballz crap. tis true! dont anyone notice that dragonballz is so damn repeative and tends to be so overcooked, that it doesn't have any flavor? doesn't that rip off all the storylines and makes us want to turn the flash off? i prefer to cuss and rave and maim and do whatever the fuck my mind and instincts want me to say or do.

I like dbz and im working on a dbz movie myself. If you ask me you never mad a single flash yourself. Because if you did, you would know that most dbz on ng took a lot of time to make. And if you hate dbz so much, than why did you even botherd to watch them? Anyway if you want you can hate dbz as much as you want, I dont care, but dont diss the artists that might have put a lot of time into making these movies.

p.s. I think its a good idea to be able to review a review :)

MzZl

MMK
MMK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-12 10:15:28 Reply

Only time will tell

Seriously as long as people want power on this site their will always be both authors and reviewers who will abuse any system that is put up....

I just hope that Tom and crew will not only watch the audience but the authors.
Because author can give alot of abusive responses with no really reasoning...

Dreamer1111111
Dreamer1111111
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-12 11:50:33 Reply

Hey liljim,this may sound a bit crud, but could you possible tell me the javascript to open a window without having to refresh tha page (like when you press on the writing of someones level and a page comes up explaining it)?? it would help very much

Krinkels
Krinkels
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Animator
Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-12 11:56:42 Reply

Are we all really feeling that bad when someone tells us to 'fuk off u fuxing f4g0rt'? People whould be allowed to say what they want on this site. We don't need some militia partol wandering around, making sure every one always votes five so we can feel good about ourselves.

johnkilo
johnkilo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-12 12:57:59 Reply

if the viewers are going to be moderated so much on what they say and how they vote, then I think the authors should be moderated on what they say in response to reviews, because some authors responses are just as bad as reviewers statements.

cerealkilla4u
cerealkilla4u
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Big News for Reviews! 2003-02-12 13:09:07 Reply

I agree with this idea.